Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's signed long term but there are concerns about how brittle he is and how he doesn't hit. I haven't looked into his injury history but it may be something to take into account given that he wouldn't come cheap: Proposal: - Trade Proposal Thread (Part VI)

I was going to say something along this lines but avoided it. Now that you brought it up... Fowler is a better PP guy but Muzzin provides better shutdown ability in our own end and he also produces points.

Muzzin is a beast and has proven to stay healthy. Just like Petry has.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know the possibility is low. I would personally go after Jonas Brodin or Ben Hutton if we can’t have Fowler

Let me get this straight. You think Muzzin has better value than Petry who is having a monster season but you rather go after more unrealistic players where the other team is going to ask for a bigger return than Muzzin?

You must think Petry is really bad if you think Muzzin is better and you prefer to go after a more unrealistic option vs Muzzin. Can you explain this for me?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depend how goes the Wild in the next month

Possible but the Kings are trending badly now and they have had a rough stretch like the Habs had when we considered trading Patch. It's not just about trending badly for one year.

For the record, I appreciate you not going on attack mode and staying respectful. It's just a conversation and you a good man for sticking to the hockey talk and not letting it get personal.

Reactions: Runner77

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Let me get this straight. You think Muzzin has better value than Petry who is having a monster season but you rather go after more unrealistic players where the other team is going to ask for a bigger return than Muzzin?

You must think Petry is really bad if you think Muzzin is better and you prefer to go after a more unrealistic option vs Muzzin. Can you explain this for me?

I want young player. I would be very happy if we get Muzzin he is really good but I don’t want to pay the price he will cost… And when I say that I think that Muzzin has a better value it’s not by much they are pretty equal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want young player. I would be very happy if we get Muzzin he is really good but I don’t want to pay the price he will cost… And when I say that I think that Muzzin has a better value it’s not by much they are pretty equal

I want younger too. I get your 1st choice and strategy and I support it. I just am not willing to pass up the opportunity to acquire Muzzin cause it's very realistic and he fits our needs. We can re-sign him or not but he provides a tonn of value in the next 1.5 years at the very least and the cost to acquire is a pill we can swallow. He could be the bridge to Romanov and we also don't waist years from Weber at age 33 and 34. Waiting and doing nothing has risks

Leafs definitely shopped Nylander and were not able to swap him for a Drouin/Sergachev type trade. The probability of the Habs finding better value than Muzzin on D is low. Even if you dangle Poehling, you need to find a team that will be willing to spare a LD with equal value, age and potential. It's very difficult to find a trade partner like this. How often does RyJo for Jones and Drouin for Sergachev type deals happen? Look at the Oilers, they wanted to improve their D and made a huge mistake trading Hall for Larsson.

If Muzzin cost us parts we can afford to lose, I'm definitely considering it. No team is going to trade them top prospects like Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau. We got Suzuki and we were very lucky. Do you think Vegas trades Suzuki with 2019 value? I think not. I think they miscalculated how good he was.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
I almost posted a Muzzin thread on the main trade board, but I don't have the time to deal with it. TooLegitToQuit, you should post this thread. Then we'd know what Kings fans expect in a trade for Muzzin. Adding another Petry, at LD, is a great idea; but, it depens on the price. Nobody wants to give blue chippers, I doubt Kings fans agree to trade him for less.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I almost posted a Muzzin thread on the main trade board, but I don't have the time to deal with it. TooLegitToQuit, you should post this thread. Then we'd know what Kings fans expect in a trade for Muzzin. Adding another Petry, at LD, is a great idea; but, it depens on the price. Nobody wants to give blue chippers, I doubt Kings fans agree to trade him for less.

I was on one of the Muzzin trade thread the other day. I laid down our base proposal and challenged other teams to beat it. Of course you get replies from the Kings that I want Romanov, Poehling, Suzuk, Brook, Primeau but the only offer I saw from other teams was the Leafs. Liljegren and a first. I think this fits but Muzzin plays LD and the Leafs already have Rielly, Sandin, Dermott and Gardiner (this season anyways) on the LD side. They need a RD. Several Leafs fans also thought Muzzin would not be their target.

I did not get many other teams providing offers that trumped this...
- One of Ylonen, Juulsen, Fleury
- 2nd (Habs or Blue Jackets)
- Ikonen

Today, I provided my last moment top offers on our Habs board...
1) Ylonen or Olofsson and both our 2nd's
2) Juulsen or Fleury, 2nd, Ikonen
3) Juulsen, Lindgren, Ikonen

Highest I would go. Our top prospects are off the table and so is our 1st. If some team wants to trump this, so be it. We move on.

Last edited:

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Muzzin for Petry straight up? Probably unrealistic but we clear the logjam on the right side in the future and get a good partner for Webz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You do get my point. You just want to make stupid personal attacks cause you disagree. You think I thought Tavares was signing with us 100% cause you think i'm living in dream land and you don't understand that I considered the disappointment factor when they say no. It's very disrespectful to think you know what you are doing as a fan and I don't.

We are competing though right now today. Adding Muzzin and Stone by using our surplus of assets and cap space is very possible. Might not end up happening after we try but I don't support doing nothing cause you think we will be the next Leafs or Lightning instead of the next Canes, Oilers, Coyotes, Flyers, etc.

Remember how the Flyers felt about their future 12 months ago? A good core and a very good prospect pool. Do you think they will be cup contenders in a few years?

There are risks with letting our vets window pass by.
The flyers are actually a perfect example of what you want to do. They try to compete every year, because they have Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds... theyll never win with them. This ship has sailed. Imagine how goood the future would look for them if they decided to go with their young core?

Provorov, Hart, Patrick, Couturier, Gost, Myers, Farabee, Obrien, Etc. +the assets theyd get for the aging players. Thats stacking the cards.

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Since you've asked.....it's a giant no for me.
OEL is not worth Carey Price, not even close and the Brobovsky is playing this year, i would have a hard time giving him that much money and i don't think any big UFA goalie is crazy enough to sign in Montreal....in fact it's the last place they would want to come.
Thank you for your input!

Thats fair , maybe i am overestimating OEL but i think just like Domi he is brought down by his team and in our hands would amount to a top 5 LD capable of averging 50 points seasons for the foreseeable future. We're here talking about givings assets for Muzzin or Fowler...
Youre right , Carey Price is worth more than OEL , what if we were to swap first round picks with them as part of the deal. Alzner hudon ish ++

As for Bobrovski you may be right but hes a legit goaltender and although Price is playing lights out right now, cant really say he carried us much in the first part of the season.

But im dreaming anywayz

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Muzzin for Petry straight up? Probably unrealistic but we clear the logjam on the right side in the future and get a good partner for Webz

Thing is, before we clear that logjam on RHD, wouldn't we have to wait and see them a little farther along their development? Seems to me that it would be premature to include any of them in a deal without having had an opportunity to see them in Laval or in NHL games. Worst possible scenario would be to have rushed into a trade and end up with a McDonagh situation all over again.

Reactions: Vachon23

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I want younger too. I get your 1st choice and strategy and I support it. I just am not willing to pass up the opportunity to acquire Muzzin cause it's very realistic and he fits our needs. We can re-sign him or not but he provides a tonn of value in the next 1.5 years at the very least and the cost to acquire is a pill we can swallow. He could be the bridge to Romanov and we also don't waist years from Weber at age 33 and 34. Waiting and doing nothing has risks

Leafs definitely shopped Nylander and were not able to swap him for a Drouin/Sergachev type trade. The probability of the Habs finding better value than Muzzin on D is low. Even if you dangle Poehling, you need to find a team that will be willing to spare a LD with equal value, age and potential. It's very difficult to find a trade partner like this. How often does RyJo for Jones and Drouin for Sergachev type deals happen? Look at the Oilers, they wanted to improve their D and made a huge mistake trading Hall for Larsson.

If Muzzin cost us parts we can afford to lose, I'm definitely considering it. No team is going to trade them top prospects like Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki, Brook, Primeau. We got Suzuki and we were very lucky. Do you think Vegas trades Suzuki with 2019 value? I think not. I think they miscalculated how good he was.

They want a 1st + very good prospect for Muzzin. If we can dummy them down, then sure. You ready to give up that return after a great offseason and our prospect pool finally looking good for a quick fix on this bubble team that’s bubble could burst at any moment for a variety of different reasons? Stay idle, enjoy watching this team win with guys competing above their skill level.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I was on one of the Muzzin trade thread the other day. I laid down our base proposal and challenged other teams to beat it. Of course you get replies from the Kings that I want Romanov, Poehling, Suzuk, Brook, Primeau but the only offer I saw from other teams was the Leafs. Liljegren and a first. I think this fits but Muzzin plays LD and the Leafs already have Rielly, Sandin, Dermott and Gardiner (this season anyways) on the LD side. They need a RD. Several Leafs fans also thought Muzzin would not be their target.

I did not get many other teams providing offers that trumped this...
- One of Ylonen, Juulsen, Fleury
- 2nd (Habs or Blue Jackets)
- Ikonen

Today, I provided my last moment top offers on our Habs board...
1) Ylonen or Olofsson and both our 2nd's
2) Juulsen or Fleury, 2nd, Ikonen
3) Juulsen, Lindgren, Ikonen

Highest I would go. Our top prospects are off the table and so is our 1st. If some team wants to trump this, so be it. We move on.

Ylonen and Juulsen are top prospects for us, we keep them and that's it.

Stay the course.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The flyers are actually a perfect example of what you want to do. They try to compete every year, because they have Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds... theyll never win with them. This ship has sailed. Imagine how goood the future would look for them if they decided to go with their young core?

Provorov, Hart, Patrick, Couturier, Gost, Myers, Farabee, Obrien, Etc. +the assets theyd get for the aging players. Thats stacking the cards.

Flyers are not cup contenders any more than what our future projections look like. There are risks for letting your vets and core get old. If they flip vets like you think the Habs will do for more futures, it has probability in more middle of the pack strategy.

No team trades expiring contracts like Patch, Petry, Tatar, Gallagher and vets like Weber for top potential futures like a top 10 pick or Kotkaniemi type value. It's a myth. Think about how difficult it took us to get Suzuki (2018 value) and the 2nd for Patch. Tatar did not have much value pre-trade. We got lucky man.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Stay the course.

We need to see our prospects grow before any of them can be deemed disposable. It's nice to finally be able to see several prospects with an opportunity to develop and increase our chances of producing quality organizational depth. We're not there yet but we're finally on the right path.

Whenever one is tempted by a big move, the question remains the same -- will you be creating a hole or a major deficit by an attempt to fill a hole? If the answer is yes, then staying the course is much more rewarding than a trade that excessively eats into your plan and progress to date.

Stay the course ought to be a thing.

#StayTheCourse

Reactions: Mrb1p and L4br3cqu3

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Stay the course.

Stay the course? I get it. But I think our fan base thinks that we will be better in 5 years than who we are today. There is equal risks to waiting vs adding to the current team core using assets like Juulsen and Ylonen.

Adding Muzzin in a trade using assets we can afford to lose and going after Stone or Panarin with the cap space we have fits Weber at age 33-36 range.

Think about how our team looks like in 5 years. We need to make room for some of our top prospects and some of those vets (Weber, Petry, Gallagher, Tatar) will be gone. Some then reply saying we sell them for more futures. Well that results in more hope and more middle of the pack team core build. We could go 10 more years with the futures strategy and still not be better than who we are today.

Between Juulsen and Ylonen. Ylonen hurts more cause Juulsen can be replaced with either Fleury or Brook. Ylonen is a good piece on wing and aside from Suzuki, it drops off after that. What's your plan? Trade Petry for more futures? Your not going to hit every time with the prospects you think you can steal from the other team (Suzuki for example) and the 1st and 2nd's won't be top 10 picks. There are risks with any plan.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Petry is a top 4D who is on pace for a monster season with a cap hit of $5.5M and has one more year in term vs Muzzin. Muzzin's ring means nothing. He was not the leader of that cup team. He was a part of it.

Sorry, we disagree here. Petry = Muzzin with play on the ice but based on the extra year in term, Edge to Petry.

His ring means nothing?

I guess averaging the 2nd most icetime, being 2nd on the team for points by a defender during that run, 5th on the entire team for goals and scoring the Cup winning goal means nothing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They want a 1st + very good prospect for Muzzin. If we can dummy them down, then sure. You ready to give up that return after a great offseason and our prospect pool finally looking good for a quick fix on this bubble team that’s bubble could burst at any moment for a variety of different reasons? Stay idle, enjoy watching this team win with guys competing above their skill level.

There were several Kings fans who thought Liljegren and a 1st fit from the Leafs. How is this different than Ylonen and two 2nd's? Liljegren is not trending any better than Fleury and Juulsen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His ring means nothing?

I guess averaging the 2nd most icetime, being 2nd on the team for points by a defender during that run, 5th on the entire team for goals and scoring the Cup winning goal means nothing.

Might as well go after Carter then, he has a cup ring. Sorry, Muzzin was part of the team. Just because Muzzin has a ring, it don't mean he is worth more than Petry.

Muzzin's cup ring has minuscule value

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Might as well go after Carter then, he has a cup ring. Sorry, Muzzin was part of the team. Just because Muzzin has a ring, it don't mean he is worth more than Petry.

Muzzin's cup ring has minuscule value

Yeah, Carter is amazing too.

You’re making it seem like Muzzin just once won a Cup and that’s it. Like he’s Ed Ronan. You’re ignoring the fact he’s a top pairing defenceman who averages over 40 points a year and is good defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad