HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I get what you’re saying but aren’t the other guys going around the spot we’ll pick small as well? I feel Michkov dropping to our sport would be to hard to pass up unless he says something in the interviews that raises a big flag we don’t already know. Imagine if we had been one of the teams that passed on Caufield because of his size in 2019.
Well it's certainly possible Michkov's father was murdered to send a message...

We'll see as we get closer to the draft what the intel is on whether Russian players are being threatened to not come over.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I didn’t realize that happened. I have no words.
it could have been a robbery, it could have been anything. we just don't know yet.

but the russian hockey federation just released something about not wanting their players to leave, due to russia being banned from so many international competitions

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Well it's certainly possible Michkov's father was murdered to send a message...

We'll see as we get closer to the draft what the intel is on whether Russian players are being threatened to not come over.
There is literally zero evidence of that. His father didn’t have any strange debts either and there was no report of foul play.

Michkov is signed for multiple more seasons too, so it’s not like him getting threatened will accomplish anything.

Use your head.
It didn’t happen. People are just incredibly and distastefully craven about this tragedy. As if Russian people cannot suffer and die without it being a big conspiracy. As if a teenage boy losing his father is grounds for geopolitical intrigue.

it could have been a robbery, it could have been anything. we just don't know yet.

but the russian hockey federation just released something about not wanting their players to leave, due to russia being banned from so many international competitions
What evidence is there of foul play? Please provide it.

Reactions: MadMslm

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
i posted it many times here, but seems many want to ignore that russian players families are facing serious threat, and are more concentrating to blame russian players for missing the pride nights.
You see, showing that serious harm is done, dont fit the current narrative...oh and i for one i am all for pride night and participating in them.
But lets call a spade a spade.hockey and politics in russia are linked. and with serious consequences

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
But lets call a spade a spade.hockey and politics in russia are linked. and with serious consequences
No it’s not. This is more Western chauvinism in its ugliest way. There is not one iota of anything that indicates Michkov Sr. died due to foul play, there isn’t any circumstantial evidence either.

This sort of discrimination and suspicion is something well-meaning people need to push back against — not fan its flames.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Does the project cap space next year not including Price's 10.5 mill on LTIR ? So the Habs have almost 20 mill in space ?
Having contracts on LTIR all season long is bad when you have a lots of ELC. Habs will have a ~$500k penalty on next year cap space because of it. They are lucky so many rookies got injured long-term, it would be higher otherwise.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There is literally zero evidence of that. His father didn’t have any strange debts either and there was no report of foul play.

Michkov is signed for multiple more seasons too, so it’s not like him getting threatened will accomplish anything.

Use your head.

It didn’t happen. People are just incredibly and distastefully craven about this tragedy. As if Russian people cannot suffer and die without it being a big conspiracy. As if a teenage boy losing his father is grounds for geopolitical intrigue.

What evidence is there of foul play? Please provide it.

We don't know if it was foul play or not.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Imagine if we pick #5 and Michkov is available and we pass him. Im gonna puke if we skip . He has amazing talen

Imagine we draft Michkov, and Smith/Benson go on to become PPG+ players while Michkov is stuck turning tricks in the KHL because Putin won't let his prized hockey player leave.

It's not black and white and people need to stop treating it like such.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Imagine we draft Michkov, and Smith/Benson go on to become PPG+ players while Michkov is stuck turning tricks in the KHL because Putin won't let his prized hockey player leave.

This. As if the org doesn't assess risk. They actually do risk management studies, much like every serious business. I'd guess the Michkov risk chart is as red as the color of the Habs jersey.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This. As if the org doesn't assess risk. They actually do risk managment studies, much like every serious business. I'd guess the Michkov risk chart is as red as the color of the Habs jersey.

Let's do a simple math exercise.

We know there's a top 3 with 0 risk involved - Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson. So the top 3 is set.

We all agree that Michkov is the definitive best prospect at 4, and people have opinions on where he would fall in that group if there was no Ukraine war and sanctions against Russia plus an increasing division between Russia and NATO as a result of the Ukraine slaughter.

We cannot pick 4.

So if we don't get jumped at all and Michkov is available at 5? 1 team has assessed the risk and selected a less talented prospect.
If we get jumped once and Michkov is available at 6? 2 teams has made that risk assessment and bypassed his selection.
If we get jumped twice and Michkov is available at 7? 3 teams has made that risk assessment and bypassed his selection.

In all of those scenarios, another organization has done their due diligence and determined the risk profile is too high. So why would anyone puke if we passed in any of these scenarios? This isn't Laremy Tunsil falling cause his dad released a video of him smoking weed through a gas-mask. These are full teams with a lot of resources doing their research into an immensely talented prospect and these unique set of circumstances and saying - no, the risk is too high that we might not get him when his contract is done.

You can hate the situation but I think at that point, you'd have your answer that organizations were scared off for legitimate reasons.

But maybe I expect too much, 2 organizations determined it was worthwhile to pass on Shane Wright and he followed it up with a pedestrian D+1, and people still crying about Slaf.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

We’ll have some tough decisions to make at 5 if Michkov is still on the board. Very tough.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

We know there's a top 3 with 0 risk involved - Bedard, Fantilli and Carlsson. So the top 3 is set.

We all agree that Michkov is the definitive best prospect at 4, and people have opinions on where he would fall in that group if there was no Ukraine war and sanctions against Russia plus an increasing division between Russia and NATO as a result of the Ukraine slaughter.

We cannot pick 4.

So if we don't get jumped at all and Michkov is available at 5? 1 team has assessed the risk and selected a less talented prospect.
If we get jumped once and Michkov is available at 6? 2 teams has made that risk assessment and bypassed his selection.
If we get jumped twice and Michkov is available at 7? 3 teams has made that risk assessment and bypassed his selection.

In all of those scenarios, another organization has done their due diligence and determined the risk profile is too high. So why would anyone puke if we passed in any of these scenarios? This isn't Laremy Tunsil falling cause his dad released a video of him smoking weed through a gas-mask. These are full teams with a lot of resources doing their research into an immensely talented prospect and these unique set of circumstances and saying - no, the risk is too high that we might not get him when his contract is done.

You can hate the situation but I think at that point, you'd have your answer that organizations were scared off for legitimate reasons.

But maybe I expect too much, 2 organizations determined it was worthwhile to pass on Shane Wright and he followed it up with a pedestrian D+1, and people still crying about Slaf.
Oh yeah, it's just our luck that one of the best prospects in the last ten years is surrounded by a slew of negative externalities.

They can take, say... Will Smith and not take the risk of not seeing a player ever wear the jersey, or take the actual BPA but risking him not coming over.

Historically, when the USSR was strong, players didn't come over. Tretiak tried (It would've been with the Habs btw) but the regime was strong as f*** and tight as f***. When the Stastny's and Fetisov's and Bure's and Makarov's etc did come over, albeit in trunks and whatnot, the regime was crumbling. My guess is Putin is on high alert and the propaganda might even work in the sense of russian pride being a factor for individuals.

So a bird in hand... you know.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So what gives you the confidence to insist, repeatedly, that the young man’s father was murdered?
I didn't insist. I said it was a possibility and we need more Intel to know the reality.

There will be an investigation. But I don't know how credible it will be.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I can assure you that if Hockey was such a key matter to Putin, Ovechkin Kaprizov and co would not be in the NHL this season.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I didn't insist. I said it was a possibility and we need more Intel to know the reality.

There will be an investigation. But I don't know how credible it will be.

There was an investigation, there was no evidence of foul play. You people see what you want to see because Russia is now, once again, the Great Enemy. There is zero link between Michkov and the Russian Federation or the Russian Government. Michkov had no notable or rumoured debts or dalliances with local criminal elements either. This speculation has gotten far too sordid, it's not appropriate to say these things or make these links with ZERO (0) evidence.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

We cannot pick 4.

Thing is, you are forgetting to talk about reward.

Risk vs reward

Risk is Michkov, reward is Benson…risk may be too high due to the reward.

Risk Michkov, reward is Smith….same, reward is maybe too high for the risk.

Risk Michkov, reward…..Dvorsky….this is where the risk may be worth it for certain teams.

Is he gonna be at the draft?

Maybe he defects to Canada or the US for fear of being drafted to go to war or fears for his life on account of what happened to his father….he may never go back after the draft.

Will be a story to follow for sure!!

Reactions: Runner77

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

We cannot pick 4.

A whole bunch of teams also passed on Caufield. Every draft players get passed over and it was either a good or bad decision.

However, you are of course bang on in the analysis. At some point the players available are less than Michkov minus the risk and so Michkov is taken. Is that At 6 or 8 or 10 ?

Personally I think we should just win the draft and take Bedard at 1 or Carlsson/ Fantilli at 2. Nice and easy with no geopolitical factors to take into account.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There was an investigation, there was no evidence of foul play. You people see what you want to see because Russia is now, once again, the Great Enemy. There is zero link between Michkov and the Russian Federation or the Russian Government. Michkov had no notable or rumoured debts or dalliances with local criminal elements either. This speculation has gotten far too sordid, it's not appropriate to say these things or make these links with ZERO (0) evidence.
It's not appropriate to make links with zero evidence.

It is appropriate to ask whether there is a link given the current political reality and to treat any investigation with caution.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It's not appropriate to make links with zero evidence.

It is appropriate to ask whether there is a link given the current political reality and to treat any inveatigationnwith caution.
Michkov Sr. wasn't a politician or affiliated with anything of the sort. You're speaking nonsense. That poor kid will surely read some of this crap you people are putting out there. Have some sympathy.

Reactions: the
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad