HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I didn't insist. I said it was a possibility and we need more Intel to know the reality.

There will be an investigation. But I don't know how credible it will be.

And that’s the problem….the police belong to Putin, they are pro Putin, it’s the same in Belarus with Lukashenko, they are loyal to the regime even though they may think differently on a personal level.

Whatever the investigation, it will favour a storyline that suits the government.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Michkov Sr. wasn't a politician or affiliated with anything of the sort. You're speaking nonsense. That poor kid will surely read some of this crap you people are putting out there. Have some sympathy.

I'm questioning whether there is a link. And so are various news outlets. This will not affect the kid at all. I'm sure he wants to know the truth as well. And hopefully he is not reading things that hurt him during this difficult time.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
And that’s the problem….the police belong to Putin, they are pro Putin, it’s the same in Belarus with Lukashenko, they are loyal to the regime even though they may think differently on a personal level.

Whatever the investigation, it will favour a storyline that suits the government.
Do you people seriously think there's any link between this man's death and the Russian government? Really??

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Regarding Michkov, he is the second, possibly the best player in a generational draft. If he’s on the board when Habs pick, you have to take him. Habs do not have elite, franchise level talent which Michkov is. He’s worth the risk as there haven’t been any Russian players who did not come to NA and Michkov himself said he wanted to come.

If Michkov is there, you take him and run.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Regarding Michkov, he is the second, possibly the best player in a generational draft. If he’s on the board when Habs pick, you have to take him. Habs do not have elite, franchise level talent which Michkov is. He’s worth the risk as there haven’t been any Russian players who did not come to NA and Michkov himself said he wanted to come.

So true

There was an investigation, there was no evidence of foul play. You people see what you want to see because Russia is now, once again, the Great Enemy. There is zero link between Michkov and the Russian Federation or the Russian Government. Michkov had no notable or rumoured debts or dalliances with local criminal elements either. This speculation has gotten far too sordid, it's not appropriate to say these things or make these links with ZERO (0) evidence.
I swear to god half the people on here check under their bed for Putin every night before they go to sleep

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Do you people seriously think there's any link between this man's death and the Russian government? Really??
I think there’s a possibility, but for all we know, he walked at the end of the dock, suffered a mass heart attack and fell in the drink.

Maybe Mr.Michkov was very anti Putin , anti war and was vocal about it?

My wife is Russian and I’ve been briefed in their ways, you just can’t rule out anything.

I think Michkov’s actions after the draft will
Speak volumes on his situation.

So true

I swear to god half the people on here check under their bed for Putin every night before they go to sleep
I know in Russia and Belarus you may not check under your bed but the walls there do have ears and people tend to be quiet about speaking how they really feel.

Reactions: Runner77

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

Generational draft....easy now big fella lol. We really need to stop using that word so liberally around these parts.

He's a good young player that should be considered if he falls to us after our scouts and management go through his vetting process just like every other high ranking prospect.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
And they’d be right to do so, Keller is Stellar. He’d instantly be the best forward the Habs have had in over two decades.

I don’t see why there’s a meltdown over the notion of picking up Wilson for one year. He’s 100% likely to be desired by the deadline and he’s actually got an aspect to his game that the Habs lack — he could also teach Anderson and Slafkovksy a thing or two about the power game.
If the end game is acquiring assets at the deadline, it makes sense.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
At the right price, it could be nice to have Caufield-Suzuki, Debrincat-Dach back to back. Having said that, I checked that Debrincat was -31 on a team where a lot of players like Stutzle, Giroux, Joseph, etc... were hovering close to 0. Why was Debrincat's +/- along with Drake Batherson's, so egregiously bad?

I would love to draft Michkov, but doubt he's available when we step up to the podium.

Would you pass on Benson because of size? Pretty much every on line site have him at #5 at this point.
Same thing: matheson +7, guhle -19. One had a nice season, the other not so much.
Pinard +7, Caufield -10.
+/- is somewhat flawed stat but some players take defensive play seriously, others not so much.

habs player whose production was most improved vs 21-22 is… Drouin while playing more games but still funny tidbit. +9 pts
Anderson and Armia same exact output.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Generational draft....easy now big fella lol. We really need to stop using that word so liberally around these parts.

He's a good young player that should be considered if he falls to us after our scouts and management go through his vetting process just like every other high ranking prospect.
This isn’t hyperbole. Multiple scouts are singing the praises of this draft. Bedard is a generational talent. Michkov is a generational talent. Fantilli Carlsson are phenomenal talents. This is one of the deepest, most talented drafts in a very long time. Being able to get a talent if that level at 5-7 in only possible because of the associated risk which isn’t very merited as literally every Russian player who wanted or was good enough to play in the NHL has.

Michkov by all accounts is that good and if he’s available at 5-7 it’s a damn miracle and you take him with a shit eating grin because you probably got a player who will elevate your entire team to the next level.

Reactions: ReHabs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I would trade that pick for Keller. He fits in with Suzuki/Caufield age group, is signed through his prime at a reasonable rate & is an absolutely fantastic player being wasted in Arizona.

They would have to take a cap dump back, but he's definitely a player I would trade our own pick for.
Keller, with better production, so far, than Suzuki and Caufield, also helps drag down the internal Cap hit ceiling by being below Suzuki money. Adding Keller likely keeps Caufield down to a 7M Cap hit, IMO, front-loaded and bonus-laden, mind you.

Whois the #1 Winger on the Habs at that point? Keller, no doubt, but both he and caufiled are not very big or physical players. Other than on the PP, I don't think that they should be playing win the same line.

If we also add PLD and keep him in the Suzuki range for Cap hit, Montreal will have something around a 7.5M average Cap hit for four forwards in Suzuki, PLD, Caufield and Keller. There is room for another forward in the 7M range and not more that high, IMO, over time as the Cap ceiling climbs to 94M. Would that be Dach?

That would be around 39% of the overall Cap hit down the line. With Anderson at 5,5M to keep some size up front and some veteran leadership, we would now be up to 45% of the Cap ceiling spent on 6 forwards.

A couple of rising forwards earning in the 4M - 5M range to eventually replace contracts like Anderson's contract won't hurt...

A cheap, but productive contract (for a 3rd liner) to RHP would become an essential part of the lineups makeup, IMO, with youngsters knocking at the door with ELCs soon to be kicking in...

XXX - PLD - Keller
Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
RHP - Beck - Anderson

Who could step in as the LW on the first line? Is Heineman a reach as a winger that could add speed and physical play? Is Roy an option to bering puck-possession and playmaking acumen?

On the 1st PP wave, though:

Caufield - PLD - Keller

Suzuki - Matheson

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
There is literally zero evidence of that. His father didn’t have any strange debts either and there was no report of foul play.

Michkov is signed for multiple more seasons too, so it’s not like him getting threatened will accomplish anything.

Use your head.

It didn’t happen. People are just incredibly and distastefully craven about this tragedy. As if Russian people cannot suffer and die without it being a big conspiracy. As if a teenage boy losing his father is grounds for geopolitical intrigue.

What evidence is there of foul play? Please provide it.
What evidence is there of foul play? Please provide it.

I'm definitely not a conspiracy theory nut, but, are you seriously thinking that local police and media not suspecting any foul play is evidence that there was none?

The reliability of those two information sources is definitely questionnable, even of it doesn't mean that the lack of reliability makes it so that there is found play either...

Imagine if we pick #5 and Michkov is available and we pass him. Im gonna puke if we skip . He has amazing talent
At 2'6" and 112 lbs, I'm not sure I'd bet everything on him. It's a question of balance on the lineup, personally, not a boas against smaller players (provided, like Michkov, that they have skill).

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A whole bunch of teams also passed on Caufield. Every draft players get passed over and it was either a good or bad decision.

However, you are of course bang on in the analysis. At some point the players available are less than Michkov minus the risk and so Michkov is taken. Is that At 6 or 8 or 10 ?

Personally I think we should just win the draft and take Bedard at 1 or Carlsson/ Fantilli at 2. Nice and easy with no geopolitical factors to take into account.
Easy peasy solution. :)

Reactions: yianik

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can assure you that if Hockey was such a key matter to Putin, Ovechkin Kaprizov and co would not be in the NHL this season.

Getting Kaprizov back from Russia was not an easy exercise at all. In fact, Minnesota was extremely worried they were not going to be able to get him back into North America.

Ovechkin is close to Putin, already in North America and is chasing Gretzky's goal scoring record.

The risk isn't getting players already in NA back to NA.. it's bringing players who are already in Russia back over.

A whole bunch of teams also passed on Caufield. Every draft players get passed over and it was either a good or bad decision.

However, you are of course bang on in the analysis. At some point the players available are less than Michkov minus the risk and so Michkov is taken. Is that At 6 or 8 or 10 ?

Personally I think we should just win the draft and take Bedard at 1 or Carlsson/ Fantilli at 2. Nice and easy with no geopolitical factors to take into account.

Teams passed on Caufield for their own reasons that were all hockey related. It's not the same situation at all. Of course good players get passed on and drop all the time, but I don't think this is the same situation where Michkov was basically considered a challenger to Bedard prior to the Russian invasion.

I'm not sure where the risk/reward analysis is - my only point is that, it isn't a simple.. they passed on him and they're stupid.. if multiple orgs are passing, there's probably an external reason at play here. We have Bobrov on the staff and I trust he will have a pretty good understanding of the climate over there.

So true

Man, I know you wear Putin boxers every day to honor your majesty but we are talking a hypothetical situation in which multiple franchises have passed on Michkov. They aren't doing that without their due diligence and having done their own risk/reward analysis.

So cool it on your pro-Putin stance every chance you get.

Reactions: McGees

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There is no way to know. Putin has been bumping off his Oligarch friends for years. Maybe they couldn't find a tall building to throw him out of.

Getting Kaprizov back from Russia was not an easy exercise at all. In fact, Minnesota was extremely worried they were not going to be able to get him back into North America.

Ovechkin is close to Putin, already in North America and is chasing Gretzky's goal scoring record.

The risk isn't getting players already in NA back to NA.. it's bringing players who are already in Russia back over.

Teams passed on Caufield for their own reasons that were all hockey related. It's not the same situation at all. Of course good players get passed on and drop all the time, but I don't think this is the same situation where Michkov was basically considered a challenger to Bedard prior to the Russian invasion.

I'm not sure where the risk/reward analysis is - my only point is that, it isn't a simple.. they passed on him and they're stupid.. if multiple orgs are passing, there's probably an external reason at play here. We have Bobrov on the staff and I trust he will have a pretty good understanding of the climate over there.

Man, I know you wear Putin boxers every day to honor your majesty but we are talking a hypothetical situation in which multiple franchises have passed on Michkov. They aren't doing that without their due diligence and having done their own risk/reward analysis.

Can't approve posts so well said.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

This is an insanely insulting thing to say to someone just because I don’t think the government killed some hockey players father

I am not pro Putin in any way and have actual family that are affected by this conflict so please f*** off

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
This is an insanely insulting thing to say to someone just because I don’t think the government killed some hockey players father

I am not pro Putin in any way and have actual family that are affected by this conflict so please f*** off
Yet, here you are diminishing Putin’s actions.

I’m sure it’s a coincidence that Michkov’s father was found dead in a ditch a couple of weeks after his son said his dream was to play in the NHL.

That being said, I would pick him starting pick #4. The potential reward is too much to pass on.

Reactions: tazsub3

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

If you have family affected then you should know any news coming out of a Russia is suspect.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Even if it’s found that his dads death was natural. At the very least there is still risk with choosing a player who is probably dealing with trauma during a critical development point, who is signed to a team for multiple years, in a country you can’t control his development path, where the country is at war which is also stopping him from taking part in other important tournaments etc…that’s a lot of risk. I wouldn’t take him at 5 personally - I would with FLA pick.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Lmao are you really trying to say that something happening to a high profile russian’s father after saying publicly he wants to leave Russia is the same as « everything bad that happens on earth »?

And you’re telling me that I have zero critical thinking?!

You have Stockholm Syndrome dude
During my studies 10 years ago I met a lot of Russian excahnge students they told me those kind of things were already happening when you were meeting the wring people or going to the wrong places.
People seem to forget that the GDP per capita in Russia is 12k USD, close to what it is in China, i.e. people are poor. it is also a country where you have a high crime rate on average and the rule of law is weak.

Maybe you are right but if it is unlikely given the number of russian players in the NHL and the social situation in Russia mentioned above.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Lmao are you really trying to say that something happening to a high profile russian’s father after saying publicly he wants to leave Russia is the same as « everything bad that happens on earth »?

And you’re telling me that I have zero critical thinking?!

You have Stockholm Syndrome dude
Bro thinks a guy fighting a war against NATO who is probably scared of being killed by one of his advisors every day is going out of his way to knock off some teenagers dad and make it look like an accident to stop a kid from playing hockey somewhere

That makes a lot of sense man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad