HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
If PLD comes as a free agent a year from now, how about Toews on a one year gap contact? Assuming we don’t draft Fantilli or something lol

It’s in the vein of the Monahan and Perry experiences, both being pretty successfu (barring the injuries, Monahan was looking to be a great move). Many vets will be gone over the summer, so you need to bring some back into the mix
One would think with watching Gallagher struggle to keep up and be relevant for the past few years, we would have had our fill of watching spent, expensive veterans in ‘our mix’

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
lets say Habs pick #6 or 7 would you guys trade that pick for Clayton Keller ? 24 years old ppg elite winger that would fit our core dont think Smith or Benson become better then him

Florida's pick for PLD

Dubois - Suzuki - Keller
Slafkovsky - Dach - Caufield

thats a solid top 6

I would trade that pick for Keller. He fits in with Suzuki/Caufield age group, is signed through his prime at a reasonable rate & is an absolutely fantastic player being wasted in Arizona.

They would have to take a cap dump back, but he's definitely a player I would trade our own pick for.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think Huberdeau bounces back to a PPG player. That being said I wouldn't take the risk on the chance he doesn't.

In Calgary's final 15 games, when they were really pushing for a playoff spot, Huberdeau only went without a point in 3 games. He played well during the last quarter of the season.

Oh, it should be noted that it corresponded with Sutter switching him back to his natural side after playing him on his off-wing for three-quarters of a season (never played there), and taking Lucic off his line.

I don't think Huberdeau is dead yet. I can see him getting back to PPG.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I would trade that pick for Keller. He fits in with Suzuki/Caufield age group, is signed through his prime at a reasonable rate & is an absolutely fantastic player being wasted in Arizona.

They would have to take a cap dump back, but he's definitely a player I would trade our own pick for.
I really like the contract and term on him. If we were trading a 6/7 pick, I wouldn’t mind making a trade like that. I would prefer getting help in our own end tho. The right side on D is so bad right now.

Reactions: Benstheman

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Do we want a 2nd Caufield? Great scorer but small player.

C8E2A2D1-7C20-47FF-A646-36648015BCCB.jpeg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

View attachment 688445

I'm one of the few that would take him.

But what assets do we have to give up? What will his cap hit be? It depends on the answer to those two questions. Ottawa gave up the 7th pick to get him. They won't take the 17th pick back.

Are they interested in Anderson? Dvo? Edmundson? Maybe Anderson. But could probably find better offers than the other two. Maybe one or two of our excess young D are a piece.

Reactions: SwiftyHab

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

View attachment 688445
He's going to be way too expensive and I think Ottawa would have known he wanted out before the TDL and traded him there if that was the case.

I also think he wants a short contract in the hope of improving his production and getting a bigger contract. Going with his QO is a big no for everyone: 9m...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

But what assets do we have to give up? What will his cap hit be? It depends on the answer to those two questions. Ottawa gave up the 7th pick to get him. They won't take the 17th pick back.

Are they interested in Anderson? Dvo? Edmundson? Maybe Anderson. But could probably find better offers than the other two. Maybe one or two of our excess young D are a piece.
I wouldn't take him mainly due to his next contract which will be too big and we already have another version of him with Cole. Paying 4 forwards (Suzuki, Caufield, PLD & Debrincat) $8-9 million is a recipe for disaster. If they were all high $7's, it could work but I don't think he's what Habs need right now.

ouch. that sucks for ottawa.
Too bad, so sad :(

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Bit of a random thought depending on how you look at things, but.

Price (+)
For
Markstrom +(+)
?
Calgary needs not only cap room, but goaltending room. Price is LTIRetired. You can go over the cap by his cap hit, but realistically the flames shed 6 mill, or whatever Markstrom's cap hit is. However, unless Buffalo, or Ottawa decide they actually want Markstrom to be their guy, it comes at a cost as Montreal has no intention of keeping Markstrom, as they could look to retain 50 % and ship him out to get even more assets as next season will/sounds like the targeted end of being complete suckage.

Markstrom.has 3 years left at 6 mill per.

If the team is built right they shouldn't need that 3 mill until his contract is up. Speculation is the cap might go up a decent amount after the end of next season.

Kind of a unique deal given Markstrom has term, so to gauge it isn't the easiest, but might be something the Habs look at.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
So 6/7th pick for Keller and 17th + for PLD?

PLD-Suzuki-Caufield
Slaf-Dach-Keller

I would be down with that but where is tank nation?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I can't see Arizona accepting that. Maybe our 1st+Mailloux+2024 1st unprotected

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

what am I reading in here??? people want: keller, debrincat... good grief let's draft Michkov and have Hutson anchor the PP - we would have ourselves a solid Peewee lineup.. Other teams would be scared to death.

thankfully, Hugo is the opposite of the junk Habs have had for the past decades.. NO MORE SMURFS.. we have our CC... thats it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
what am I reading in here??? people want: keller, debrincat... good grief let's draft Michkov and have Hutson anchor the PP - we would have ourselves a solid Peewee lineup.. Other teams would be scared to death.

thankfully, Hugo is the opposite of the junk Habs have had for the past decades.. NO MORE SMURFS.. we have our CC... thats it.
At the right price, it could be nice to have Caufield-Suzuki, Debrincat-Dach back to back. Having said that, I checked that Debrincat was -31 on a team where a lot of players like Stutzle, Giroux, Joseph, etc... were hovering close to 0. Why was Debrincat's +/- along with Drake Batherson's, so egregiously bad?

I would love to draft Michkov, but doubt he's available when we step up to the podium.

Would you pass on Benson because of size? Pretty much every on line site have him at #5 at this point.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If PLD comes as a free agent a year from now, how about Toews on a one year gap contact? Assuming we don’t draft Fantilli or something lol

It’s in the vein of the Monahan and Perry experiences, both being pretty successfu (barring the injuries, Monahan was looking to be a great move). Many vets will be gone over the summer, so you need to bring some back into the mix

Would love to see him in a Habs jersey. Like you said, if he could bring a Monahan-type element. That is if HuGo want to compete more this year.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
At the right price, it could be nice to have Caufield-Suzuki, Debrincat-Dach back to back. Having said that, I checked that Debrincat was -31 on a team where a lot of players like Stutzle, Giroux, Joseph, etc... were hovering close to 0. Why was Debrincat's +/- along with Drake Batherson's, so egregiously bad?

I would love to draft Michkov, but doubt he's available when we step up to the podium.

Would you pass on Benson because of size? Pretty much every on line site have him at #5 at this point.
Answer:
Debrincat was a product (and beneficiary) of a strong Chicago top 6. the issue always is (with small guys) that they require strong net drivers, as they are primarily perimeter players. I would advise NEVER to go after "free agent" small guys. Gaudreau same thing (benefitted from Tkachuk). MTL does not have room for Debrincat as we already have our CC sniper.

Answer: not only will Michkov be available, I think Hugo might take a pass as well. Ive explained in depth in another thread why.

Answer: Yes I would pass on Benson bc of size. our system is chalk full of these types: 5'10" buck60.. the trajectory for them to make an impact is insanely low. While the NHL has gotten quicker, when the chips are on the table in playoffs, tight checking - space is mighty limited.

If I were HUGO my draft order is this:

1- Bedard
2- Fantilli
3- Carlesson
4- Smith

7-Michkov - this is where I believe Michkov will fall.

if these are off the table, then trade back as I like a lot of the tier IIs in the 10-20 range (possible hits) and we could pick 2: Smith/Reinbacher and Matthew Wood, would make a splendid draft day if we don't win the lottery.

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Answer:
Debrincat was a product (and beneficiary) of a strong Chicago top 6. the issue always is (with small guys) that they require strong net drivers, as they are primarily perimeter players. I would advise NEVER to go after "free agent" small guys. Gaudreau same thing (benefitted from Tkachuk). MTL does not have room for Debrincat as we already have our CC sniper.

Answer: not only will Michkov be available, I think Hugo might take a pass as well. Ive explained in depth in another thread why.

Answer: Yes I would pass on Benson bc of size. our system is chalk full of these types: 5'10" buck60.. the trajectory for them to make an impact is insanely low. While the NHL has gotten quicker, when the chips are on the table in playoffs, tight checking - space is mighty limited.

If I were HUGO my draft order is this:

1- Bedard
2- Fantilli
3- Carlesson
4- Smith

7-Michkov - this is where I believe Michkov will fall.

if these are off the table, then trade back as I like a lot of the tier IIs in the 10-20 range (possible hits) and we could pick 2: Smith/Reinbacher and Matthew Wood, would make a splendid draft day if we don't win the lottery.
I get what you’re saying but aren’t the other guys going around the spot we’ll pick small as well? I feel Michkov dropping to our sport would be to hard to pass up unless he says something in the interviews that raises a big flag we don’t already know. Imagine if we had been one of the teams that passed on Caufield because of his size in 2019.

Reactions: themilosh

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I think he'll be too expensive. I'd rather spend the big $ on a better more complete player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad