HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Edmundson wasn’t UFA. Next year we will trade him.
Allen has terms

UFA
Monahan injured
Drouin. No value.
Belzile
Tierney
Dadonov was traded

Thats it. Nothing was really expected or plausible.

Unicorns do not exist

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I feel like they’re confident next year will be better and these trade bait players will be trade-worthy next year — or even worth more.

But what gives you that idea? We have so little talent that we need to shed our current cap commitments so we can acquire some talented ones that better fit. It’s a tall ask, I don’t think they should bet on that.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So while everyone is thinking about PLD, I'm personally thinking about the contract slots situation for the Habs. They currently have 47 slots, on July 1st this fall to 32 unless players are signed/traded before that. Also, there are more prospects who's rights expires in 2024 than this year (8 of them, 2 will be slide capable).

So who is released, signed (NHL or AHL) and traded to be under 50 contracts next season.

The team has 5 players with rights that expires in 2023 (based on CapFriendly):
- 2 on June 1st (Dichow*, Vbertic), *has another season to his SHL contract
- 1 before July 1st (newly acquired Sund),
- 2 from the NCAA on August 15th (Struble and Gorniak)

We know the Habs want to sign at least Farrell once his season is over despite his rights not expiring this year too. They might want to sign Dobes too.

They also have lots of RFAs/UFAs across the NHL/AHL:
- RFA AHL: Condotta, Teasdale, Richard, Stephens, Beaudin, Leskinen, Allard
- RFA NHL: Caufield, Ylonen, RHP, Pezzetta, Gurianov
- UFA AHL: Bowey, Schueneman
- UFA NHL: Drouin, Belzile, Tierney, Monahan, Bryon

Prospects with contracts next season:
- Mesar*, Beck* *sliding another year unless in the NHL, aka doesn't count on total
- Kidney, Roy, Mailloux
- Heineman (has another season to his SHL contract)
- Mysak, Simoneau, Norlinder, Trudeau, Fairbrother
- Primeau
= 10 contracts

Roster players:
- Suzuki, Anderson, Hoffman, Dvorak, Armia, Dach, Pitlick, Salfkovsky, Gallagher, Evans,
- Wideman, Xhekaj, Matheson, Edmundson, Barron, Guhle, Harris, Kovacevic
- Allen, Monty
= 20 contracts

--------- My take -----------
Released:
NHL: Drouin, Tierney, Monahan, Bryon
Rights: Gorniak
AHL: Bowey

Traded:
AHL: Stephens
NHL: Edmundson, Hoffman
Prospects: Norlinder and/or Fairbrother (both are LDs)

Signed:
ELC: Farrell, Dichow, Struble, Vbertic (he's not good, but Habs need NHL capable depth in Laval)
NHL/two-ways: Sund, Teasdale, Richard, Beaudin, Allard, Caufield, Ylonen, RHP, Pezzetta, Gurianov, Schueneman, Belzile, Condotta

27 + 17 = 44 contracts.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Knew they wouldn't do anything. Not much they could even do. It was a buyers market anyway. Better to just wait for the summer/next season when we can get more for guys like Edmundson and Anderson, and with more cap from waste of spaces like Drouin.
Agreed. Better no deal than trades at an egregious discount. Look at the Hawks. They committed to selling Kane, only to find that his NTC meant that the Rangers had them bent over a barrel. Did it make sense then to commit to selling at all costs, in order to gain an extra 1% or so to get Bedard, if it resulted in losing their star player for pennies on the dollar? This is an extreme example of course, but other teams sold good players for pennies on the dollar. Chychrun didn't garner much either, compared to predictions, but they were committed to dealing him in the manner they took him out of the lineup.

That said, there are many players with negative value, and HuGo need to get creative this summer and fall, with salary retention, buyouts and waivers.

I like the pattern of getting young players with potential whose stock is undervalued, and letting MSL and Adam Nicholas work their magic. A bit like Arsenal in the Premier League.

Last edited:

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Although injuries derailed the Habs’ TDL, let’s not forget that the Romanov/Dach, Petry//Matheson and Cap space/Monahan deals all occured post-TDL last year and that there’s still hope for some significant movement in the next few months.

This summer (or by TDL 2024 in the case of Edmundson), the Habs are in an even better situation than last year to leverage their deep LHD pipeline to bolster other positions of need. Edmundson, Harris and Struble should be identified as prime candidates for trades in that context.

The Habs will also have better draft capital with 2 top-15 pick, a high 2nd and a flurry of mid-round picks.

And - more importantly - a sizeable, weaponizable, cap space for a the last season of the frozen cap era!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So while everyone is thinking about PLD, I'm personally thinking about the contract slots situation for the Habs. They currently have 47 slots, on July 1st this fall to 32 unless players are signed/traded before that. Also, there are more prospects who's rights expires in 2024 than this year (8 of them, 2 will be slide capable).

So who is released, signed (NHL or AHL) and traded to be under 50 contracts next season.

The team has 5 players with rights that expires in 2023 (based on CapFriendly):
- 2 on June 1st (Dichow*, Vbertic), *has another season to his SHL contract
- 1 before July 1st (newly acquired Sund),
- 2 from the NCAA on August 15th (Struble and Gorniak)

We know the Habs want to sign at least Farrell once his season is over despite his rights not expiring this year too. They might want to sign Dobes too.

They also have lots of RFAs/UFAs across the NHL/AHL:
- RFA AHL: Condotta, Teasdale, Richard, Stephens, Beaudin, Leskinen, Allard
- RFA NHL: Caufield, Ylonen, RHP, Pezzetta, Gurianov
- UFA AHL: Bowey, Schueneman
- UFA NHL: Drouin, Belzile, Tierney, Monahan, Bryon

Prospects with contracts next season:
- Mesar*, Beck* *sliding another year unless in the NHL, aka doesn't count on total
- Kidney, Roy, Mailloux
- Heineman (has another season to his SHL contract)
- Mysak, Simoneau, Norlinder, Trudeau, Fairbrother
- Primeau
= 10 contracts

Roster players:
- Suzuki, Anderson, Hoffman, Dvorak, Armia, Dach, Pitlick, Salfkovsky, Gallagher, Evans,
- Wideman, Xhekaj, Matheson, Edmundson, Barron, Guhle, Harris, Kovacevic
- Allen, Monty
= 20 contracts

--------- My take -----------
Released:
NHL: Drouin, Tierney, Monahan, Bryon
Rights: Gorniak
AHL: Bowey

Traded:
AHL: Stephens
NHL: Edmundson, Hoffman
Prospects: Norlinder and/or Fairbrother (both are LDs)

Signed:
ELC: Farrell, Dichow, Struble, Vbertic (he's not good, but Habs need NHL capable depth in Laval)
NHL/two-ways: Sund, Teasdale, Richard, Beaudin, Allard, Caufield, Ylonen, RHP, Pezzetta, Gurianov, Schueneman, Belzile, Condotta

27 + 17 = 44 contracts.

I don't think they give Qualifying Offers to Leskinen or Stephens making them UFAs.

Dichow they'll give an ELC too. Vrbetic won't get one. He'll be UFA.

Sund won't be signed. Ditto Gorniak.

I expect all other RFAs to come back, including Gurianov, although I expect him to get less money. He's UFA in 2024. One year, $2m. Montreal trades him at 2024 TD 50% retained. Due to his size & speed, he should garner interest.

All UFAs will walk except for Belzile. Think they'll re-sign Laval's captain unless he wishes to move on.

Tuch, Hutson & Dobes should all be in NCAA next year. There is an off-chance we sign Tuch, but due to injuries I do think he needs another year. Ditto Smilanic.

Jared Davidson will go the Simoneau/RHP path & play in Laval next year on an AHLC.

AHL - 12 F, 7D & 2 G (20 NHL contracts)

Pitlick - AHL
Belzile - AHL
Mesar - AHL
Kidney - AHL
Roy - AHL
Condotta - AHL
Mysak - AHL
Teasdale - AHL
A. Richard - AHL
Simoneau - AHL
Heineman - AHL
Davidson - AHLC

Mailloux - AHL
Beaudin - AHL
Norlinder - AHL
Trudeau - AHL
Fairbrother - AHL
Allard - AHL
Struble - AHL

Primeau - AHL
Dichow - AHL

NHL - 15F, 9D, 3G - 27 contracts

Caufield - Suzuki - Gurianov
Farrell - Dach - Anderson
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta, Hoffman, Ylonen

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Edmundson - Xhekaj
Harris - Kovacevic
Wideman

Allen
Montembeault
Price: LTIR

That puts us at 47 contracts.

At minimum, we need to buyout Hoffman, trade Edmundson, & maybe Pezzetta too. Wideman will be 8th D for one more year. He won't be re-signed.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Heineman - AHL
Dichow - AHL
Both of them have SHL contract for next season, it's NHL or SHL for them, unless they are kept like 8 weeks on the NHL roster (and not injured during that time). But that doesn't remove their contracts from the total for the team.

Dichow's contractual situation is why I believe the Habs need another goalie on an two-way/EL contract that is waiver exempt in case Primeau is claimed at the start of the season or won't be claimed because he sucks too much. Teams need to have 3 goalies signed to NHL capable contracts per the CBA.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think they give Qualifying Offers to Leskinen or Stephens making them UFAs.

Dichow they'll give an ELC too. Vrbetic won't get one. He'll be UFA.

Sund won't be signed. Ditto Gorniak.

I expect all other RFAs to come back, including Gurianov, although I expect him to get less money. He's UFA in 2024. One year, $2m. Montreal trades him at 2024 TD 50% retained. Due to his size & speed, he should garner interest.

All UFAs will walk except for Belzile. Think they'll re-sign Laval's captain unless he wishes to move on.

Tuch, Hutson & Dobes should all be in NCAA next year. There is an off-chance we sign Tuch, but due to injuries I do think he needs another year. Ditto Smilanic.

Jared Davidson will go the Simoneau/RHP path & play in Laval next year on an AHLC.

AHL - 12 F, 7D & 2 G (20 NHL contracts)

Pitlick - AHL
Belzile - AHL
Mesar - AHL
Kidney - AHL
Roy - AHL
Condotta - AHL
Mysak - AHL
Teasdale - AHL
A. Richard - AHL
Simoneau - AHL
Heineman - AHL
Davidson - AHLC

Mailloux - AHL
Beaudin - AHL
Norlinder - AHL
Trudeau - AHL
Fairbrother - AHL
Allard - AHL
Struble - AHL

Primeau - AHL
Dichow - AHL

NHL - 15F, 9D, 3G - 27 contracts

Caufield - Suzuki - Gurianov
Farrell - Dach - Anderson
Slafkovsky - Dvorak - Gallagher
RHP - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta, Hoffman, Ylonen

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Edmundson - Xhekaj
Harris - Kovacevic
Wideman

Allen
Montembeault
Price: LTIR

That puts us at 47 contracts.

At minimum, we need to buyout Hoffman, trade Edmundson, & maybe Pezzetta too. Wideman will be 8th D for one more year. He won't be re-signed.
Just a quick question. Did we trade Beck? :huh:

Reactions: Runner77

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Knew they wouldn't do anything. Not much they could even do. It was a buyers market anyway. Better to just wait for the summer/next season when we can get more for guys like Edmundson and Anderson, and with more cap from waste of spaces like Drouin.
With Drouin you can now look at both columns.

Reactions: CaptainKirk

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I have him going back to Juniors, so his contract slides as he's under the age of 20. It doesn't count towards our 50. He will for 2024-2025.

No roster room for him currently.
My bad I forgot he was still eligible to return. Hopefully he gets traded elsewhere.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad