HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't think Pedneault has any sources, but conversation should change to other teams beside Edmonton anyways.

Buffalo needs help at LD, as do LAK. Both of whom have much stronger prospect systems and better draft pick depth than Edmonton.

You also have to think TB would be interested, especially with the extra year. We could help them by taking back Myers (RFA 2023). I don't see them sitting on their D as it is. They are far more willing to give value in trades if they are filling a hole (eg: Hagel).

Depending on where other teams sit by TD, there will be other interested parties.

Holland is a shit GM who's risk adverse at a time when Edmonton should be all in.
I have no problem giving TB Edmundson at half off for two years. It's not like we'll be competing with them for a Cup over the next two years. I'd also take Myers off their hands since he's an UFA next year, but that would cost a 1st round pick (with Edmundson at 1.75M for two years) and a good prospect.

2.55M for Myers VS 1.75M for Edmundson - TB even gains some elbow room under the cap ceiling...

Now, those who know TB best, what good prospect could we target from TB, along with their very late 1st rounder?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not really a good trade in a rebuild, I will try to obtain a 1st round pick and/or a prospect but if it's not the case. I'm ready to try another option!

To Montréal :
Anthony Mantha - 28 years - 2 years at 5,700,000$

To Washington :
Josh Anderson - 28 years - 5 years at 5,500,000$
Jan Mysak

Mantha : Maybe in Montréal under MSL he can be sucessful and playing with more passion; one of his major flaws. If the experience don't succeed you can still trade him at the 2023 deadline. At least, Mantha can be use in a offensive way!

Anderson : I don't know how to use him. Not a point producer, not a shutdown guy, can't really find a chemistry with anyone. Looking much better on the paper than the ice! For me the Josh Anderson Project is a total failure!

Mysak : I never really like this prospect for all the experience he have at every stage versus the others players of his age, he needs to show a lot more than that and he didn't do that. It's a question of time before he disappear in your hierarchy!

If Mantha stay at long term and the Habs add Dubois in the 2024 UFA market!
Caufield-Suzuki-Dach
Slafkovsky-Dubois-Mesar
Farell-Beck-Mantha
Gallagher-Dvorak-Heineman-Pick 2023
Trade two failed players for a potential star? This is not coherent.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I have no problem giving TB Edmundson at half off for two years. It's not like we'll be competing with them for a Cup over the next two years. I'd also take Myers off their hands since he's an UFA next year, but that would cost a 1st round pick (with Edmundson at 1.75M for two years) and a good prospect.

2.55M for Myers VS 1.75M for Edmundson - TB even gains some elbow room under the cap ceiling...

Now, those who know TB best, what good prospect could we target from TB, along with their very late 1st rounder?

They have a few:

Gage Goncalves (C) - Syracuse (AHL)
Niko Huutanen (RW) - SM Liiga (Finland)
Dylan Duke (LW) - University of Michigan
Dyllan Gill (RD) - RN Huskies (QMJHL)
Nick Malik (G) - SM Liiga (Finland)

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

their first rounder 2025? because they traded the other ones for Hagel

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I want to see Hughes break his no retention rule on multi year contracts before believing that he will.

Regardless, he shouldn’t have to retain on Edmundson since he has a low cap hit and the acquiring team can recoup its investment thanks to that 2nd contract year, by having the ability to flip him for likely similar value in 2023-24 than what they’d be coughing up for him now.

Retaining on multi year contracts is a big risk no doubt but with Eddy, it's $1.75M for two seasons. We can absorb that with no issues. Unless he has plans of being a UFA spender this summer.

No doubt Hughes will not want to retain on Eddy and he won't have too if he is after two 2nd rounders instead of the 1st.

That's kind of where I stand on it. If he wants the 1st, not sure he gets it with no retention on Eddy. Possible but I'm not buying the Savard and Chiarot got a 1st and therefore, so will Eddy.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing is that they don't need a ''true #1'' for a few years.

Agreed. Allen, Monty, Primeau with Dobes coming is enough for our transition years. If you want movement on the NHL roster with good development but don't want the playoffs and have a 5-16 range pick during those years, don't go get a goalie just yet. You can draft one yeah but trade for one? That would have to be a very unique circumstance that plays in our favor and the cost is something we can afford.

their first rounder 2025? because they traded the other ones for Hagel

I'd take any 1st rounder any year. Why? Deep draft narrative is stupid cause that applies to the top 10 or top 15 and any 1st rounder we get for Eddy is likely coming with protection and a 17+ 1st. More likely 20+

Reactions: Scriptor

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021

Truman will say on Laraque's show today about the name he heard regarding this.

Here is my guess:
Mystery goalie just turned 23.
played 2 yrs as starter in SHL, represented Sweden u19, u20.
arrived North America last year. Injured. Played only 5 games In AHL
This season starter in AHL. .910
Buried behind young (24) NHL starting goalie for years with 2 more nice prospects expected soon.

Quote from Dobber: Extremely talented goalie with great size and upside to become a very good NHL starter.

Samuel Ersson

Reminds me of the Bryzgalov-Bobrovsky situation.

and its Fletcher we are talking about here!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Retaining on multi year contracts is a big risk no doubt but with Eddy, it's $1.75M for two seasons. We can absorb that with no issues. Unless he has plans of being a UFA spender this summer.

No doubt Hughes will not want to retain on Eddy and he won't have too if he is after two 2nd rounders instead of the 1st.

That's kind of where I stand on it. If he wants the 1st, not sure he gets it with no retention on Eddy. Possible but I'm not buying the Savard and Chiarot got a 1st and therefore, so will Eddy.
I’m inclined to think that Hughes can get a 1st for Edmundson as he has the profile of the kind of D teams typically value for the playoffs. However, I’d prefer that Hughes keeps him until for another season if the best offer he receives is two 2nds.

While a 2023 1st may not be easy to land, perhaps a 2024 1st could be obtained instead and that wouldn’t be so bad.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m inclined to think that Hughes can get a 1st for Edmundson as he has the profile of the kind of D teams typically value for the playoffs. However, I’d prefer if Hughes keeps him until next year if the best offer he receives is two 2nds.

While a 2023 1st may not be easy to land, perhaps a 2024 1st could be obtained instead and that wouldn’t be so bad.

He's going to try for sure. Will I bet against it? NO

Truman says the name he hears is Devon Levi.

He says Habs had discussions with the Sabres at the draft. And they have continued to have discussions with them.

Laraque suggests Askarov should be someone Habs should target.

Is Truman credible? I don't know much about him.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I highly doubt we are going to go all in for Horvat as a Pending UFA in a season where we are not in the playoffs. But it might be just to check in to keep channels open.

Hughes trying to get Horvat's price increased so another team pulls the tricker on a trade and it sets off a domino effect where other GM's want to make their move before the next one? Is that what he did in the Toffoli trade last year? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
His word is definitely not gospel. But he has gotten some info right before. He runs (or used to run) Dans Les Coulisses.

If anything, it's worth a discussion.

Dobes is about the same age and has similar stats. I wonder what the price would be for Levi. What are the Sabres needs and are their needs in line with what we have a surplus on?

Could be an interesting trade but it would have to be one that makes sense for both sides. I believe the Sabres would be after D men. Are they after someone like Harris or Struble or are they after a vet like Eddy.

Would you do it straight up?
* Eddy for Levi?
* Struble for Levi?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Horvat is a career 54 point player (below Monahan drafted same year) having a best-so-far 30 game start to the season fueled by an unsustainable 22.5 shooting percentage versus a career 13.8%. Perhaps he is a 70-75 point player for a couple of peak years before he fades in aging.

If we trade for him with extension in place, we can then trade Monahan, but if the cost is much higher than what we get for Monahan, it becomes risky. I too would not like to send a first, a third, Savard, Beck, and Struble. That is way, way too much for a second line player. Savard has value and is not a pure cap dump.

Indeed, if Monahan is healthy, his career stats being better than Horvat's, Sean's chemistry being good with the club, and them being virtually the same age, I might prefer Monahan unless Horvat will have a lower extended AAV.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His word is definitely not gospel. But he has gotten some info right before. He runs (or used to run) Dans Les Coulisses.

If anything, it's worth a discussion.
If someone believes DLC is a reliable source, then the guy is in the same boat. He started the site and has maintained close contact and the site continues to act as an echo chamber for his rumors.

The same caveat applies as for any other rumour — just cause a name was brought up doesn’t mean that’s who the negotiating teams settle upon or if they even end up consuming a deal. Could just be a snapshot of a particular conversation he heard about but who knows how advanced the talks may have been.

Always better than what Pedneault is peddling. :sarcasm:

No thank you
Owen Beck in a Horvat deal?!? Hell, no!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad