HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #82

Status
Not open for further replies.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
A 4th for a waiver wire guy... yeah I think we will do alright... not great but alright.
I don’t agree.
6’6” 225 pounds averaging over 19 minutes of ice time per game and is a +6 on the 4th worst defensive team in the league. I think Seattle D won’t be fun to play against, lots of big boys.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t agree.
6’6” 225 pounds averaging over 19 minutes of ice time per game and is a +6 on the 4th worst defensive team in the league. I think Seattle D won’t be fun to play against, lots of big boys.

You don't agree with what?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wonder if SJ would be interested in Andy+ to replace Timo as the top 6 foward. If they like his game, the difference is much lower than Horvat/Beauvillier cap dump. Plus he's signed on a reasonable contract imo. Add 2 of our many prospects.... value is close and worth it for both clubs imo. Even the salary works.

Offer Meier the same contract as Suzuki ( 2.5/3m difference with Andy's cap for a PPG beast = no brainer), set the bar for PLD and Caufield... Quality top 4 set for 8 years under 33m with the cap increasing I mean...

What's not to like?
If Meier would sign here? Generally that don't

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody want to pass on Dubois and it's a perfect fit for Montréal because of his age, his size, the kind of player he is, center or winger and built for playoff! But you talk about it like it's Dubois or nothing and now or never.

Don't get me wrong I really want Dubois but you don't seem to understand how important the Florida pick can be for your rebuild. You said yourself Suzuki 13th, Caufield 15th, Guhle 16th are not a sure shot, 1 on 10, but can we try to pick in that range in a good draft year! Why we can't take a try to have your "Getlaf-Perry 2.0"?

I understand your point when you said the pick will never be good like PLD but it's not the only option, trade, and we can wait another year; it's a different story. To trading for him at his fair value, at Trouba discount is another thing, it's simply burning some assets we don't need to do and we don't have the luxury to do at this stage of the rebuild.

I'm maybe a little bit stupid but I really think Dubois are a die Habs fan and want to play with us. He will not take a discount or steal anyone but he will get paid what he deserve to play here! To resume, if Dubois come here it would be for the good reason with the idea to win the Stanley Cup before the end of his contract and not because of the money.

If we sign him in 2024 it will be higher than this summer because of the cap increase but I prefer to pay him a little bit more and keeping the Florida pick because this player can be the key of the success for us in the future and maybe the best player we can draft, at least on paper, in the next decade except next year!

In a ideal world for the Habs and Dubois :
2 great pick in the 1st round 2023
1 great pick with the 1st round 2024 because we're still bad
Dubois in the summer 2024 - UFA Market (Competitive Mode : On)
After that, you try to find the missing pieces with what we have (Players, Picks, Prospects, $$$)

If we trade for Dubois this summer at the cost of the Florida 1st pick and some assets this will be bad for your future because even if you don't see that in the trade at first, adding PLD at this moment when we can't really compete will only make us pick later in the draft 2024! Example of trade : Anderson, Florida 1st, Harris, Mysak for Dubois!

Anderson (value : 1st round + ???)
Florida 1st pick
Harris (value : 3rd round???)
Mysak (value : future considerations ...)
1st Pick 2024 becoming a Top 16 not a Top 8

It's way too much for a player we can add for free in 16 months and I prefer to take the gamble to wait him on the UFA market and use the assets somewhere else. With 2 x 1st pick and a 3rd round pick in play you can target one of the missing pieces ....

It won't cost that high to get Dubois. You have your own narrative and I respect that but this is a potential leverage trade. I'm talking Trouba circumstance and you are talking another situation. If it cost that high, I'm not doing it. Simple as that.

Panthers pick is important. I'm not underselling it so spare me with that narrative. I'm 50/50 on this and it's fluid. If we are able to get Dubois with this pick as the prime piece and we add a contract like Armia and a B+ prospect like Kidney, I'd very much consider this. Waiting another year is also an option but that comes with risks too. Downplaying one option vs the other when both have risks is weird to me. Not all of our pieces will come from the draft. It's low probability that the Panthers pick ends up as good or better than Dubois.

How many times do some of us need to repeat this? We are in if it's a Trouba situation but out if it it's not.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don’t agree.

That also means that Kovacevic might be worth a 4th too and Wideman a 5th or 6th.

Reactions: WinterLion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100% agree.

If we are really in on Dubois, pay and get him and lock him 8 years.

Would be a catastrophe to wait till he is a UFA and then being outbid.

I keep saying it. I'm personally 50/50 on this. Ideally, we we wait till he becomes UFA and get him for free but I see several fans ignoring the risks that come with this. There are risks to trading for him this summer and there are risks to waiting. If it's a Trouba circumstance, I think I would trade for him this summer.

Both Hintz and Horvat just got $8.5M for 8 years. I think we can get Dubois for that this summer on a sign/trade. If we wait another year, the cost to sign him might be $10M when the agents know what the real cap is for 24/25. Or someone else trades for him and gets him to extend.

Panthers pick is not one I would like to trade but it's a possible piece on the table with me. Lets see if we get another 1st at this deadline and go from there.

Some fans need to consider that in 2 years time, the Panthers pick might be meh and Dubois is somewhere else and we are still looking for 3 big pieces (C, D, G).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's when I see those kind of trade that I think some of our crap is worth something!

Depends on the cap. Low AAV's will be targeted. But yes, we are a bit guilty in some ways thinking all of our guys we can trade have shit value.

Said this for months now... Eddy could get a 1st if we retain 50% but without retention, I'm not sure. He's not trending well but most GM's know the value he brings for the playoffs. No doubt in my mind they want the 2 year contract but they will try to acquire for as cheap as possible.

A 4th for a waiver wire guy... yeah I think we will do alright... not great but alright.

1st and 2nd rounders have decent chance at hitting. 3rd rounder + picks rarely hit. Some fans are guilty thinking that is worth more than actual NHL players... even if they were on waivers.

Depth in the playoffs is very important. Injuries will happen.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It's when I see those kind of trade that I think some of our crap is worth something!

This is why I say that even if their value is low, Drouin and Dadonov specifically will still have teams interested. Hughes won't have other GM's lining up for their services. But around the TDL, they will have some teams interested. For me, if they get a 3rd or 4th for either of them will be a positive.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I don’t agree.

Obvious tank move

9a22ddcf-7a6b-41c8-b7b4-a29c92445d68.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is why I say that even if their value is low, Drouin and Dadonov specifically will still have teams interested. Hughes won't have other GM's lining up for their services. But around the TDL, they will have some teams interested. For me, if they get a 3rd or 4th for either of them will be a positive.

Agreed. Teams are after 2 or 3 pieces and if they have the cap room, they will take flyers on Drouin and Dadonov if the price is a 3rd or 4th rounder.

The issue is more about cap room than anything. If both are not moved, it's due to cap room. Not because teams don't want to trade a 3rd - 5th rounder for them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Agreed. Teams are after 2 or 3 pieces and if they have the cap room, they will take flyers on Drouin and Dadonov if the price is a 3rd or 4th rounder.

The issue is more about cap room than anything. If both are not moved, it's due to cap room. Not because teams don't want to trade a 3rd - 5th rounder for them.

Cap space is an issue for those two but as a value perspective, this is where the Habs can get creative.
Package these guys with a low pick to increase value, or one of these middle-prospect we don't really need or even package two of them together for a better return (Ex: Dadonov 50% + Kovacevic).

Reactions: Habs Halifax

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I keep saying it. I'm personally 50/50 on this. Ideally, we we wait till he becomes UFA and get him for free but I see several fans ignoring the risks that come with this. There are risks to trading for him this summer and there are risks to waiting. If it's a Trouba circumstance, I think I would trade for him this summer.

Both Hintz and Horvat just got $8.5M for 8 years. I think we can get Dubois for that this summer on a sign/trade. If we wait another year, the cost to sign him might be $10M when the agents know what the real cap is for 24/25. Or someone else trades for him and gets him to extend.

Panthers pick is not one I would like to trade but it's a possible piece on the table with me. Lets see if we get another 1st at this deadline and go from there.

Some fans need to consider that in 2 years time, the Panthers pick might be meh and Dubois is somewhere else and we are still looking for 3 big pieces (C, D, G).
Yeah....I agree with this. There are risks both ways. I would do this on the draft floor if I'm the Habs. Make the deal when you know what is available with the Panthers pick and when you know what you have with our pick.

Personally, anything outside the top 8ish picks, I have a hard time seeing them reach PLD status. Actually, anything outside the top 4 picks, I think is a dream to become as good or better than PLD. My comfort level however is the after pick 9. That is the risk I'd take. Anything from 1-8, I wouldn't trade for PLD and would hope that we can sign him in 2024.

Imagine a world where he draft Bedard or Michkov and trade for PLD at the draft? Looks infinitely better than Bedard/Michkov and say Sale or Dvorsky.

With that Panthers pick I would be extremely happy with the known commodity in PLD.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cap space is an issue for those two but as a value perspective, this is where the Habs can get creative.
Package these guys with a low pick to increase value, or one of these middle-prospect we don't really need or even package two of them together for a better return (Ex: Dadonov 50% + Kovacevic).

I think Hughes and Gorton will consider several ideas. Hughes is creative

Yeah....I agree with this. There are risks both ways. I would do this on the draft floor if I'm the Habs. Make the deal when you know what is available with the Panthers pick and when you know what you have with our pick.

Personally, anything outside the top 8ish picks, I have a hard time seeing them reach PLD status. Actually, anything outside the top 4 picks, I think is a dream to become as good or better than PLD. My comfort level however is the after pick 9. That is the risk I'd take. Anything from 1-8, I wouldn't trade for PLD and would hope that we can sign him in 2024.

Imagine a world where he draft Bedard or Michkov and trade for PLD at the draft? Looks infinitely better than Bedard/Michkov and say Sale or Dvorsky.

With that Panthers pick I would be extremely happy with the known commodity in PLD.

I'm around top 10. If the pick is 11-16 range, it's an easier decision. If it's 8-10, I ponder about it. Personally, I do think the Panthers end up with a pick from 12-18 range. Lower range? 12-16. I think they just miss the playoffs.

Reactions: waitin425
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad