HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Retrospectively, « recipe for disaster » seems indeed too dramatic - I was probably thinking too much about Toronto’s mess!

Ideally, with core pieces locked up long term at reasonable AAVs, HuGo could very well imitate another, more sustainable template; Julien Brisebois’s brilliant cap management!
That's what I'm aiming for. Reasonable, but expensive contracts to more than just a few of the better players and the ability to bridge 3rd line players with 2nd line upside, or 4th line players with third line upside and third pairing Ds with 2nd pairing upside.

Once those 6 years or so are up, you make the difficult choices whether you pawn off the older veteran players or the younger veteran players for new prospects that have been properly developed and are ready to have an impact at the NHL level.

The identity of those you keep and those you sell will depend on their performance in the playoffs. It might be better to keep Suzuki and PLD longer because they still have a few years of juice left in them and because they have been money in the playoffs for you, or to keep the fast progressing younger players because they are money in the playoffs.

That 3 year window as part of the 6 years can become a 5-year or better window with the right choices as to whom to keep and whom to flog for futures.

Reactions: ML16

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Power Horse money! Or, Meier money, but what will they trade for Meier? why would we ask for Anderson? If it's close to Meier, they make the same pitch for Meier, instead, I think, provided a contract extension is in play, of course. Otherwise, the years remaining for Anderson are sweeter value for giving up serious assets.

Reactions: Milhouse40

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Why would Montreal trade for another LHD who is strictly a rental?
LHD is our problem right now with Matheson, Edmunston, Guhle, Xhakaj, and Harris. They can’t all play so at least one should go before the start of next year.

I now Edmunston is the obvious one but I wouldn’t hesitate on Matheson or Harris if the offer makes us better.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
I wonder if SJ would be interested in Andy+ to replace Timo as the top 6 foward. If they like his game, the difference is much lower than Horvat/Beauvillier cap dump. Plus he's signed on a reasonable contract imo. Add 2 of our many prospects.... value is close and worth it for both clubs imo. Even the salary works.

Offer Meier the same contract as Suzuki ( 2.5/3m difference with Andy's cap for a PPG beast = no brainer), set the bar for PLD and Caufield... Quality top 4 set for 8 years under 33m with the cap increasing I mean...

What's not to like?

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I wonder if SJ would be interested in Andy+ to replace Timo as the top 6 foward. If they like his game, the difference is much lower than Horvat/Beauvillier cap dump. Plus he's signed on a reasonable contract imo. Add 2 of our many prospects.... value is close and worth it for both clubs imo. Even the salary works.

Offer Meier the same contract as Suzuki ( 2.5/3m difference with Andy's cap for a PPG beast = no brainer), set the bar for PLD and Caufield... Quality top 4 set for 8 years under 33m with the cap increasing I mean...

What's not to like?
They’re in a rebuild and want futures not “presents”

Reactions: Xirik and Vachon23

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
I stopped reading at Bergs traded for Ryder.................he was drafted in 98 by the HABS. Sorry man, you do not recollect things very well.
His first year he added Armstrong, and Boullion..........and then miracles started to happen eh...........LOL
Price was a STUD when drafted, Bergevin made Price a horse, who he rode to a 2nd contract, in which he did NOT deserve........Bergevin was and is a clown.
We all know this........
Uh, Bergevin absolutely traded for Ryder. He was a Hab two very different times.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
They’re in a rebuild and want futures not “presents”
They want a top 6 foward too and salary needs to come back. Futures are some of our many prospects or a first or whatever it takes... Harris, Roy, Ylonen, Kidney, Struble, Engstrom, Norlinder, Kapanen, Tuch... pick 2 and shake hands.

Quantity for quality is what i'm after, too many good not great prospects in the system imo.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
They want a top 6 foward too and salary needs to come back. Futures are some of our many prospects or a first or whatever it takes... Harris, Roy, Ylonen, Kidney, Struble, Engstrom, Norlinder, Kapanen, Tuch... pick 2 and shake hands.

Quantity for quality is what i'm after, too many good not great prospects in the system imo.
Agreed with your last point. We need some home runs now in our prospect pool. No more singles or doubles

Reactions: Destopcorner

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

you’re not getting him without speaking about Huston/Beck type of prospect

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Question, then, who do you prefer to keep? Hutson or Beck? Because, honestly, Beck could well fit in a scenario for Dubois as well. In fact, it makes more sense for WIN to demand a C replacement for Dubois.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
If I compare to Horvat, Raty isn't that impressive, first is top 12 protected and Beauvillier sucks ass. Andy have far more value than him and Harris is a good NHL rookie not looking out of place with a Vlasic type of game. Depends on which prospects SJ have an eye on but frankly, except the obvious ones, i'm ready to trade em all for a Timo entering his prime.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If I compare to Horvat, Raty isn't that impressive, first is top 12 protected and Beauvillier sucks ass. Andy have far more value than him and Harris is a good NHL rookie not looking out of place with a Vlasic type of game. Depends on which prospects SJ have an eye on but frankly, except the obvious ones, i'm ready to trade em all for a Timo entering his prime.
Yes but Horvat is UFA what is not the case with Meier and VAN receive a probably top 15 pick in a stack draft.

Harris is fine but he‘s #4-5-6 small Dmen, nothing special either

Reactions: Xirik

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
Bergevin had Price, Subban, Patch, Pleky, Markov, Gallagher, Eller, and the 3rd OA pick. It carried us for years but he was not able to fill the holes. Didn't want to trade Poehling+ for ROR in his prime?

And now fans want to pass on Dubois cause he "ruins" our rebuild? Yeah sure, lets dilly dally and waste prime years of Suzuki and Caufield, like we did with Price. Great plan and all our holes will be addressed through the draft in the next two drafts? :facepalm:. Our rebuild started before Gorton/Hughes were hired. Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Xhekaj, and a deep pool is something Gorton/Hughes inherited. The rebuild didn't start last year people.

Nobody want to pass on Dubois and it's a perfect fit for Montréal because of his age, his size, the kind of player he is, center or winger and built for playoff! But you talk about it like it's Dubois or nothing and now or never.

Don't get me wrong I really want Dubois but you don't seem to understand how important the Florida pick can be for your rebuild. You said yourself Suzuki 13th, Caufield 15th, Guhle 16th are not a sure shot, 1 on 10, but can we try to pick in that range in a good draft year! Why we can't take a try to have your "Getlaf-Perry 2.0"?

I understand your point when you said the pick will never be good like PLD but it's not the only option, trade, and we can wait another year; it's a different story. To trading for him at his fair value, at Trouba discount is another thing, it's simply burning some assets we don't need to do and we don't have the luxury to do at this stage of the rebuild.

I'm maybe a little bit stupid but I really think Dubois are a die Habs fan and want to play with us. He will not take a discount or steal anyone but he will get paid what he deserve to play here! To resume, if Dubois come here it would be for the good reason with the idea to win the Stanley Cup before the end of his contract and not because of the money.

If we sign him in 2024 it will be higher than this summer because of the cap increase but I prefer to pay him a little bit more and keeping the Florida pick because this player can be the key of the success for us in the future and maybe the best player we can draft, at least on paper, in the next decade except next year!

In a ideal world for the Habs and Dubois :
2 great pick in the 1st round 2023
1 great pick with the 1st round 2024 because we're still bad
Dubois in the summer 2024 - UFA Market (Competitive Mode : On)
After that, you try to find the missing pieces with what we have (Players, Picks, Prospects, $$$)

If we trade for Dubois this summer at the cost of the Florida 1st pick and some assets this will be bad for your future because even if you don't see that in the trade at first, adding PLD at this moment when we can't really compete will only make us pick later in the draft 2024! Example of trade : Anderson, Florida 1st, Harris, Mysak for Dubois!

Anderson (value : 1st round + ???)
Florida 1st pick
Harris (value : 3rd round???)
Mysak (value : future considerations ...)
1st Pick 2024 becoming a Top 16 not a Top 8

It's way too much for a player we can add for free in 16 months and I prefer to take the gamble to wait him on the UFA market and use the assets somewhere else. With 2 x 1st pick and a 3rd round pick in play you can target one of the missing pieces ....

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Nobody want to pass on Dubois and it's a perfect fit for Montréal because of his age, his size, the kind of player he is, center or winger and built for playoff! But you talk about it like it's Dubois or nothing and now or never.

Don't get me wrong I really want Dubois but you don't seem to understand how important the Florida pick can be for your rebuild. You said yourself Suzuki 13th, Caufield 15th, Guhle 16th are not a sure shot, 1 on 10, but can we try to pick in that range in a good draft year! Why we can't take a try to have your "Getlaf-Perry 2.0"?

I understand your point when you said the pick will never be good like PLD but it's not the only option, trade, and we can wait another year; it's a different story. To trading for him at his fair value, at Trouba discount is another thing, it's simply burning some assets we don't need to do and we don't have the luxury to do at this stage of the rebuild.

I'm maybe a little bit stupid but I really think Dubois are a die Habs fan and want to play with us. He will not take a discount or steal anyone but he will get paid what he deserve to play here! To resume, if Dubois come here it would be for the good reason with the idea to win the Stanley Cup before the end of his contract and not because of the money.

If we sign him in 2024 it will be higher than this summer because of the cap increase but I prefer to pay him a little bit more and keeping the Florida pick because this player can be the key of the success for us in the future and maybe the best player we can draft, at least on paper, in the next decade except next year!

In a ideal world for the Habs and Dubois :
2 great pick in the 1st round 2023
1 great pick with the 1st round 2024 because we're still bad
Dubois in the summer 2024 - UFA Market (Competitive Mode : On)
After that, you try to find the missing pieces with what we have (Players, Picks, Prospects, $$$)

If we trade for Dubois this summer at the cost of the Florida 1st pick and some assets this will be bad for your future because even if you don't see that in the trade at first, adding PLD at this moment when we can't really compete will only make us pick later in the draft 2024! Example of trade : Anderson, Florida 1st, Harris, Mysak for Dubois!

Anderson (value : 1st round + ???)
Florida 1st pick
Harris (value : 3rd round???)
Mysak (value : future considerations ...)
1st Pick 2024 becoming a Top 16 not a Top 8

It's way too much for a player we can add for free in 16 months and I prefer to take the gamble to wait him on the UFA market and use the assets somewhere else. With 2 x 1st pick and a 3rd round pick in play you can target one of the missing pieces ....
You can only hope the Florida pick gets anywhere CLOSE to what Dubois is though. Dubs instantly fills one of our needs at C and we can move on to looking to fix our defence and goalie situation.

This of course is after the lottery but if Florida's pick is 12+ I would trade it for Dubois.

Also I wouldn't take the chance of Dubois hitting UFA I would get him and lock his ass up and be done with it.

Reactions: ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad