HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #81

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Dude, Brisson literally started his statement by saying: 'Dubois doesn't currently have a contract, so I can say it.'

What the f*** more do you want?
Ok Dubois is definitely coming to Montreal and would never even consider going anywhere else…

He can not say that he would not play in MTL on TVA sport anyway so how is that anything… he start by saying probably didn’t finish the sentence talk about is contract and say that Montreal is a city that he would like to play in… talk about Montreal has a city, never mention the habs or playing for habs… That the kind of layer talk that strongly hints to what everyone one want to hear but actually doesn’t rule out any other possibility. The question was directly about Montreal it wasn’t a open question about where he want to play and MTL pop up… it was the last question by design it was the only interesting one in that interview and they didn’t follow up on the question or try to develop because they had there quote and the answer they wanted.

Again it isn’t made up there is smoke but there is lot more media hype than actual fire and it doesn’t rule out any other possibility, it is a negotiating tactic and simply good PR, is client doesn’t look like a ass and media (which he need to go is job effectively) get something to talk about for 2 years…

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Well unless he's got an NTC, they can get him as a rental for a PO push.

This is a bit of a weird rumor anyways, as Klingberg and Edmunson are practically on opposite ends of the spectrum. I dont follow EDM that closely but I doubt you look at both a PMD and a more D-minded dman as interchangeable options. Could be they need both types but one should be a priority imo.
So you want to trade a pick or a prospect for a player that don't want to play in Edmonton????

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
At this point PLD should have his own thread with all the rumors and such put all in one place so they don't have to be brought up again and debated if it they are real or not every 20 pages. :D

I do still think that going after a UFA Bo Horvat this off season would be a better choice if the team he is traded to see's him as a rental.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The Jets are 2nd overall in the Western Conference right now (by points %), which makes me highly doubt they trade PLD this season. I also wonder if they would actually trade him next offseason. In 2024 they have Wheeler, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, and potentially PLD (if he signs a 1 year deal) hitting unrestricted free agency. Do they just decide to keep him around to make another run, especially in a Conference that has an easier path to the finals than the East.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weltschmerz

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
So you want to trade a pick or a prospect for a player that don,t want to play in Edmonton????
What are you talking about? That's what happens most TDL, teams spend assets on upcoming UFAs for their services during a playoff run. Most of the guys traded for end up signing elsewhere afterwards.

Regarding bolded, has it been reported that Klingberg hates EDM with a passion?
He was a UFA, probably had to choose between a variety of offers (term, AAV, location). He ended up choosing one of the options on the table, doesn't mean he'd sooner stop playing hockey than play for Edmonton. It's a business and he's getting paid millions per year, if EDM feels like he fills a hole they absolutely will trade for him and expect him to show up and play. WTF

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
What are you talking about? That's what happens most TDL, teams spend assets on upcoming UFAs for their services during a playoff run. Most of the guys traded for end up signing elsewhere afterwards.

Regarding bolded, has it been reported that Klingberg hates EDM with a passion?
He was a UFA, probably had to choose between a variety of offers (term, AAV, location). He ended up choosing one of the options on the table, doesn't mean he'd sooner stop playing hockey than play for Edmonton. It's a business and he's getting paid millions per year, if EDM feels like he fills a hole they absolutely will trade for him and expect him to show up and play. WTF
They offered him a contract this summer and he refused. Choose the Ducks. Why on earth would I try to trade for a player that refused to sign with my team in the summer? Beside, Klingberg is on a major decline. I would look for another player than him.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Ok Dubois is definitely coming to Montreal and would never even consider going anywhere else…

He can not say that he would not play in MTL on TVA sport anyway so how is that anything… he start by saying probably didn’t finish the sentence talk about is contract and say that Montreal is a city that he would like to play in… talk about Montreal has a city, never mention the habs or playing for habs… That the kind of layer talk that strongly hints to what everyone one want to hear but actually doesn’t rule out any other possibility. The question was directly about Montreal it wasn’t a open question about where he want to play and MTL pop up… it was the last question by design it was the only interesting one in that interview and they didn’t follow up on the question or try to develop because they had there quote and the answer they wanted.

Again it isn’t made up there is smoke but there is lot more media hype than actual fire and it doesn’t rule out any other possibility, it is a negotiating tactic and simply good PR, is client doesn’t look like a ass and media (which he need to go is job effectively) get something to talk about for 2 years…
I agree that insinuating anything about Brisson's statement ruling out other options apart from Montreal for his client is a serious amount of projection from the media and the fans.

Beyond that, itMs uo to HuGo to sell the Habs as a perfect destination for Dubois.

If it's a "You're the missing piece" approach, expect the salary offer to be beyond Suzuki's 7.875M Cap hit.

If it's a "Montreal is heading the right way and a great place to play under St-Louis and the family atmosphere we've created" it would still take at least 7.875M, like Caufield's salary/Cap hit to be an off with any sway -- and it would need to be Front ended to the maximum, with mostly bonus money to make taxes less relevant as an issue when comparing to other offers from other teams.

It's not impossible that Dubois would like to play in Montreal, but I doubt it is a Montreal or nothing situation (actually, doubt is a weak word).

Reactions: Runner77

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They offered him a contract this summer and he refused. Choose the Ducks. Why on earth would I try to trade for a player that refused to sign with my team in the summer? Beside, Klingberg is on a major decline. I would look for another player than him.
Was Edmonton's offer better than Anheim's?

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Major decline? You know he is now on the Ducks?

John B

Nov 19, 2016
A lot of talk as to why Klingberg chose Anaheim over Edmonton or anywhere else. I've trying to think outside the box on this one and came up with the following.

If he signs with a specific team likely bound for the playoffs, he is stuck with that team. What if that team doesn't make the playoffs or isn't a strong contender? By signing with Anaheim or some other rebuilding team he gets the luxury of getting paid more (because theoretically rebuilding teams have more cap space than contenders) and can be traded to a contender with retention at the deadline. Oilers are a bubble team/low playoff seed team right now. If he had signed there, he'd be stuck in that situation. I don't think the Oilers would move him to a contender. Klingberg does have some trade protection, including a full NTC until January 1st and then it turns into a 10 team NTC.

This is an angle that should be exploited more often by rebuilding teams. IMO It's a form of cap circumvention, but until the NHL puts a stop to it, it should be utilized. Another angle that should be exploited is trading for player X for future considerations and then trading him back with retention for a price. Pretty sure this happend between Washington and Colorado in a deal involving Brooks Orpik. Honestly, the NHL should allow the trade of actual unused cap space.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Cap dump? Flyers have $404,584 left (of their LTIR space).

Also, they are likely tanking...have you looked at their active roster?
I know they only have 3 good forwards. But Fletcher and the senile trio probably think they can make the playoffs. They didn't hire Torts to tank. Would they give up after 30 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad