HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If a massive overpay for Edmundson is available, I very much doubt that the letter on his uniform would stand in the way of a deal.

We’re likely headed in that direction since the way Lavoie described it, the offers Hughes has been receiving are very enticing.

As much as I like Edmundson and how much of a good mentor he’d be, if the Habs are looking for a ransom, several teams right now, would be willing to pay it.

Will Hughes keep saying no?
What, to you, is a massive overpay?

A 2023 1st rounder and a Smilanic-level prospect?

A quality RD prospect and a 2nd rounder?

A quality RD prospect, period?

I could see Edmundson going to the rangers for Lundkvist, to give them sandpaper, experience and leadership for their young D-Corps that is particularly loaded with RHDs that would have a great complement in a more stay-at-home, physical D like Edmundson.

I just wonder if NY can fit the 3.5M for Edmundson?

If that was the deal (Lundkvist and a 2nd rounder), I'd do it. Hell, I'd do it straight up for Lundkvist and the Cap space gained.

But, maybe Montreal would need top take on bad cap? Unfortunately, with 1M in projected cap space (for NY), I don't think the Rangers even have any bad Cap left to trade?

Montreal would need to eat half of Edmundson's cap hit, add a C prospect like Mysak and take on Chytil's 2.3M Cap hit, perhaps? Or Samuel Blais 1.525M or something else like that (35-yr-old Reaves' 1.75M)?

Trade Hoffman for barrie and:

Harris - Barrie
Matheson - Lundkvist
Guhle - Barron
Schueneman, Wideman, Xhekaj

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Lots of desirable attributes but at what point does he become that much more valuable in a trade?
When his caphit is depleted at the trade deadline and every playoff team wants him as a premium 4-6 dman.

We’d get a top pick and a good prospect for him :)

Reactions: jrom

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He’s definitely a valued asset to the Habs but other teams seem to assess him as much.

He’s a great mentor, will stick up for teammates, adds size and grit to the lineup and has experienced winning a Stanley Cup.

Lots of desirable attributes but at what point does he become that much more valuable in a trade?
It's a rebuild and anyone can be a trade chip, but I wouldn't trade Edmundson for just anything.

When his caphit is depleted at the trade deadline and every playoff team wants him as a premium 4-6 dman.

We’d get a top pick and a good prospect for him :)
I almost prefer waiting because we at least get a good chunk of the season with him mentoring the young Ds before trading him. I'd require a 2023 1st round pick in a deal, not some later pick, unless the prospect was awesome.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
It's a rebuild and anyone can be a trade chip, but I wouldn't trade Edmundson for just anything.

I almost prefer waiting because we at least get a good chunk of the season with him mentoring the young Ds before trading him. I'd require a 2023 1st round pick in a deal, not some later pick, unless the prospect was awesome.
The mentoring stuff is wayyyy overstated. Weber couldn’t mentor Beaulieu or Mete or any of the rookies the Habs had. It’s on the coaches to develop players not on other players.

If you mean have Eddy on as a steady influence who can eat minutes — absolutely, fully agreed.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber had best shot in Canadiens history.

True..............but that has nothing to do with what I had said......................we were talking the last two seasons including the playoffs he provided almost no offense.
Hard shot, but couldn't hit the net the last two seasons......
He was playing injured. Weber usually good for 16-18 goals a season.

Losing Weber major blow to franchise. He was destroying the Matthews, Mariners, Connors in playoffs. They were not affective when he was on the ice. Game 6 against the Leafs he was our best player, played 37 minutes on bad ankle

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What, to you, is a massive overpay?
I’m just basing it on Lavoie’s description of incoming offers, which as a verbatim translation of the qualifier he used, would be the word “mouth-watering”.

Any offer that appreciably supersedes the best return that Hughes was able to muster at the trading deadline, would qualify as a massive overpay.

For instance, if the deal could include a 2023 unprotected first round pick (since many suitors are reported, Hughes can certainly ask) and Hughes can then weigh which team is likeliest to finish lower in the standings to extricate the most out of it, in conjunction with other incoming pieces.

As a simple baseline, Edmundson is certainly worth more than Chiarot and has an extra year tacked on after this season at only $3.5 M per season. Add the multiple suitors and the return can certainly be ramped up.

Hughes is not shopping the player but is being heavily solicited so that creates favourable conditions for an overpay.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin was 22. It was a stupid, godawful trade but he wasn't mortgaging the future.

What a dumb post. You're 1000% wrong. Just own up to the fact that you made a dumb point.

Not a dumb post. He was not a sure shot blue chip prospect prior to the NHL. A good prospect yeah but not blue chip. It's like saying you knew Suzuki would turn into who he would be today prior to the NHL. That's the dumb part. You can go all aggressive and use words like dumb all you want. I stand firm. I remember what kind of prospect he was prior to the NHL and it was not a sure shot blue chip type. And I did like him too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The mentoring stuff is wayyyy overstated. Weber couldn’t mentor Beaulieu or Mete or any of the rookies the Habs had. It’s on the coaches to develop players not on other players.

If you mean have Eddy on as a steady influence who can eat minutes — absolutely, fully agreed.

Mentoring might not be the perfect word choice. More like leading by example via showing younger guys how to work off and on the ice. It helps but not as much as many think it does.

I think it helps guys like Suzuki reach his ceiling vs Beaulieu or Mete types. If the young player has the will to improve, having a guy like Weber around helps. Eddy likely shows some of our young D how to be reliable and play steady D coverage.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Losing Weber major blow to franchise. He was destroying the Matthews, Mariners, Connors in playoffs. They were not affective when he was on the ice. Game 6 against the Leafs he was our best player, played 37 minutes on bad ankle
You keep missing the point here.............we were at one point talking about the last two seasons, and the playoffs, and he struggled offensively. Was not taking shots at him, and yes, he was a beast in his last playoff showing. Guy could barely hit the net......probably because of a wrist injury.....I get it....

As for 16-18 goals per season, he scored 17 once with the habs...................his last TWO seasons which is what I was talking about his offensive contribution had dropped............he had 15 and then 6 goals, not sure about his assists, but offensively his output had dropped dramatically, injuries or not......a big stay at home guy, is what we ended up with, and the end result was injuries, career over.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I remember when Bergevin acquired Edmundson, the "advanced stats" crowd actually argued that he was the worst dman in the NHL.
His advanced stats were the worst in the NHL at the time of the trade. The Hurricanes defensive system just didn't work for him. He had much better advanced stats with the Blues who had a defensive system much closer to what the Habs were using.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not a dumb post. He was not a sure shot blue chip prospect prior to the NHL. A good prospect yeah but not blue chip. It's like saying you knew Suzuki would turn into who he would be today prior to the NHL. That's the dumb part. You can go all aggressive and use words like dumb all you want. I stand firm. I remember what kind of prospect he was prior to the NHL and it was not a sure shot blue chip type. And I did like him too.
Agreed. He was not good at all at the end of his last junior season and mediocre in the OHL playoffs that year. And Druoin had a good playoff. That was the reason I liked the trade at the time.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

DailyKaizen

Life, teams, investing...it is all about tradeoffs, we have some interesting up and coming D that will add to effectiveness from the back end, in both O and D in different ways that maybe Weber didn't do as well, skating, agility, speed for example. Yes Weber had many qualities, but it is not about in having the best cards, it is about playing the hand you are dealt... well.

Good points though I agree with what you say, but zooming out, the "new stock" of D will have to match or surpass what Weber brought in other ways if not the same way Weber did done did.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don't see that much option for the RD side though that could possibly be on the waivers and I don't think they will be a veteran like Stralman.

And Barron could take Wideman place
Matheson-Wideman
Edmundson-Barron
Guhle/Harris-Savard
Shue as the 7th

Damn this D sucks. But the priority is to give proper mentoring to you guys and enough TOI.

Depending on the progression, i would give alternate time in the AHL and NHL to Guhle and Harris.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think it's clear Weber wasn't a #1 d-man in his last few years despite being a formidable player. In the modern NHL the #1 d-man tilts the ice in a massive way, Roman Josi got 96 points last season!
You just used the 3 D that was nominated for the Norris. There are stil 29 other teams and 29 other no.1 D. Of course Weber wasn't all star Weber anymore but was still a beast and the no.1 D for a team that went to SC finals.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Matheson-Wideman
Edmundson-Barron
Guhle/Harris-Savard
Shue as the 7th

Damn this D sucks. But the priority is to give proper mentoring to you guys and enough TOI.

Depending on the progression, i would give alternate time in the AHL and NHL to Guhle and Harris.
our def is bad but theres no way Wideman plays on the first pair it should be Savard

Reactions: Sterling Archer

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
His advanced stats were the worst in the NHL at the time of the trade. The Hurricanes defensive system just didn't work for him. He had much better advanced stats with the Blues who had a defensive system much closer to what the Habs were using.
Which represents a flaw in either the stats or how they were interpreted. From what I recall, they did a poor job of of accounting for noise and special teams.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Matheson-Wideman
Edmundson-Barron
Guhle/Harris-Savard
Shue as the 7th

I believe I heard or read that Hughes doesn't want more than 2 rookie D unless he has to. With that in mind, and not knowing who kills it at camp, I'd venture to guess the following lineup:

Matheson Savard
Edmundson Barron
Harris Wideman
Schueneman

Kind of in the same vein as last year. Guess we'll see but this feels more inline with what their shooting for with the existing lineup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed. He was not good at all at the end of his last junior season and mediocre in the OHL playoffs that year. And Druoin had a good playoff. That was the reason I liked the trade at the time.

I was content with the trade and for the reasons you mentioned. I think a lot of other posters were as well but they seem to ignore that today and use hindsight evaluation.

I felt he was a good prospect for sure but sure shot Blue Chip prior to the NHL? Hell no. Anybody acting that way today is reaching.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Eating up big minutes and letting younger Ds play in an appropriate chair is part of mentoring, but I doN't like getting caught up in semantics as much as other posters on this forum. Yes, his value is in the latter part of your post, until the kids gain a little more experience to take on tougher minutes.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I believe I heard or read that Hughes doesn't want more than 2 rookie D unless he has to. With that in mind, and not knowing who kills it at camp, I'd venture to guess the following lineup:

Matheson Savard
Edmundson Barron
Harris Wideman
Schueneman

Kind of in the same vein as last year. Guess we'll see but this feels more inline with what their shooting for with the existing lineup.
Considering that Barron's play is somewhat underwhelming of late (plenty of time still, though), maybe the steadier Harris gets the nod on the right side with Edmundson own a top-4 role and Guhle gets a shot at the NHL right away on a 3rd pairing with Barron (pairing of the future higher up on the depth chart)?

Matheson - Savard
Edmundson - Harris
Guhle - Barron

I wish Barron had played the game with Guhle on Sunday, to see if the familiarity with the large LD would have upped the RD's game?

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Leskinen has a chance to make this awful d core and Bowey is 27 and a great skater so he has chance if the young guys need more time in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad