HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
...the problem with trading him right now is that it's puts too many "unknowns" into our D core and removes one of the biggest voices in the room...the offer would have to be quite the overpayment, imo...

...if Vegas is dumb enough to be forced to lose Hague, hopefully HuGo will at least make an offer...
One would hope so!

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Nah... He was a good prospect but it was too early to know if he was a top prospect or legit grade A at that point in time. He could have had a road like KK and Chucky but you are ignoring that cause you know what happened. Hindsight evaluation.
Dude give it a rest. Sergachev was definitely a top prospect. He was drafted top 10 for christ sake. Again top PROSPECT. Reading your posts is so freaking cringe sometimes and you always have to be right.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
No he was a bluechip prospect right off the bat. 2nd Dman to go in his draft. Size and offensive flair. Bluechip 100% AINEC

Him actually becoming good down the road has nothing to do with the value he had at the time
Have ya read the TB forum and their thoughts him the last 3 years? Or watched every game he played? Or is this just based on a MB dislike?

Blue chip to me is Makar, Hedman, Doughty (in prime), like a top 15 at his position and within 2/3/4 years. MS is still not there

He was a good prospect but Blue Chip is hyperbole and doesn't help your arguemement.

Bad trade......sure it was, but MS would not have moved the needle much here or made this team much better as true Blue Chips do.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
This is a bizarre stance you are taking here. Are we really trying to pretend that Mikhail Sergachev wasn't a top prospect for the Canadiens?
You are 100% correct that a 9th overall pick OFD with size who had a great D+1 is obviously a top prospect, but Habs Halifax will have some contrived and bizzare definition of a "top prospect" and then argue to the end of time that their specific definition of "top prospect" is correct and that everyone else is just confusing the term. My guess is it will be a restrictive definition that only includes players at the level of Hedman or D+2 Makar or something like that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Scriptor

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
With what assets though?

It's hilarious to hear how Bergevin never acquired a first-round pick in his tenure while Hughes did it by trading Toffoli(signed by Bergevin), Chiarot(signed by Bergevin), Romanov(drafted by Bergevin) and so on...

There was f*** all to trade when Bergevin took over! And nothing of real value in terms of projects to be able to make a big splash.
Poehling for ROR at some point. apparently that was part of the asking price and Bergevin refused to move Poehling.

Did I read that wrong somewhere?

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
It was poehling and the pick that would be KK
Poehling + KK for ROR would’ve been a great trade.

Poehling + 3rd OA for ROR would’ve been a bad trade.

Regardless, I wouldn’t change anything considering Bergevin is gone and now we have a great management team in place.

Reactions: Colezuki

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
No he was a bluechip prospect right off the bat. 2nd Dman to go in his draft. Size and offensive flair. Bluechip 100% AINEC

Him actually becoming good down the road has nothing to do with the value he had at the time
He was cut because he wasn't ready for the NHL. He was a bit of a disappointment early on, as was MacDonagh at the time he was traded.

That's the truth -- and that comes from me as one who wanted Sergachev with our #9 pick and was ecstatic we chose him.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Have ya read the TB forum and their thoughts him the last 3 years? Or watched every game he played? Or is this just based on a MB dislike?

Blue chip to me is Makar, Hedman, Doughty (in prime), like a top 15 at his position and within 2/3/4 years. MS is still not there

He was a good prospect but Blue Chip is hyperbole and doesn't help your arguemement.

Bad trade......sure it was, but MS would not have moved the needle much here or made this team much better as true Blue Chips do.
Sergachev was an extremely hyped prospect in Montreal from the moment he was drafted by Bergevin. This is irrefutable fact.

Reactions: Galaxydoggystyle

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Sergachev was an extremely hyped prospect in Montreal from the moment he was drafted by Bergevin. This is irrefutable fact.
There were legit concerns about his hockey IQ. Nobody denied the talent, but his decision-making was erratic and he didn't seem willing to be too involved in the play. Ya we lost the trade, but he wasn't some can't miss prospect. Getting hyped by the Habs fan base doesn't mean much, many posters here expressed their concerns with him and rightfully so. I personally loved him in his draft year but saw some pretty moderate to severe red flags in his D+1.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Poehling for ROR at some point. apparently that was part of the asking price and Bergevin refused to move Poehling.

Did I read that wrong somewhere?
No it was Poehling and the 3rd overall. It was a good no trade

Obviously the pick was not the right pick but that’s after the fact.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
There were legit concerns about his hockey IQ. Nobody denied the talent, but his decision-making was erratic and he didn't seem willing to be too involved in the play. Ya we lost the trade, but he wasn't some can't miss prospect. Getting hyped by the Habs fan base doesn't mean much, many posters here expressed their concerns with him and rightfully so. I personally loved him in his draft year but saw some pretty moderate to severe red flags in his D+1.
He was our most hyped prospect.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He was a top prospect by anyone's account - he had won the top defenseman in the OHL award, and later won a Memorial Cup, He was ranked as the number one defenseman on multiple scouts list going into the draft. I'm not sure how much more of a top prospect you'd have to be.

We traded for a guy based on the language/heritage, and we lost a guy who's been good enough to win a couple of cups while being a pillar on their blue line. Good enough that they signed him to an 8 year deal.

In return we got a guy who shows up half the time, loses interest 75 percent of the time, and is injured or having mental issues one hundred percent of the time.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
He was a top prospect by anyone's account - he had won the top defenseman in the OHL award, and later won a Memorial Cup, He was ranked as the number one defenseman on multiple scouts list going into the draft. I'm not sure how much more of a top prospect you'd have to be.

We traded for a guy based on the language/heritage, and we lost a guy who's been good enough to win a couple of cups while being a pillar on their blue line. Good enough that they signed him to an 8 year deal.

In return we got a guy who shows up half the time, loses interest 75 percent of the time, and is injured or having mental issues one hundred percent of the time.
Couldn't agree more. Drouin was a total failure of a hockey play through and through. I don't care what Drouin does after this season even if he scores freaking 30 goals we have to cut him loose. The guy is too much of a wild card and the only reason why he still gets any type of love is because of where he was drafted and because he speaks french which means f*** all after all these years.

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Takeaways for me are who is “we” and what was learned from the transaction so that the risk of it happening again, is less likely.

By “we”, I mean how many of the individuals who scouted and green lighted the deal, are still part of the organization?

As for the modus operandi in respect of how due diligence is performed, there is at least optimism that new management appears to be more thorough and clinical, working with more and better resources than the past administration.

Drouin is a stinging reminder of a trade gone badly wrong. Looking forward to him moving on such that we won’t have to constantly go through so many bouts of self-flagellation over it.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

That's BS in that you make it sound like they traded for a leper because he happened to be Québécpis and speak French. It's dishonest.

That Drouin, for many reasons, don't live up to expectations (which were heightened because of immediate dislike of the player -- maybe because of heritage/language?), is another issue.

Drouin was a 3rd OA pick that had showed a level of skill at the NHL level already. Bergevin failed to keep improving the team after that trade, even losing Radulov, for example and failed to put Drouin in a position too succeed, playing him as the #1C in the NHLdespite him not having played C in years.

Drouin, to me, is a disappointment and Sergachev was my draft choice at #9. I was ecstatic when Montreal chose him (over Chychrun, for example).

However, at the time, I understood wanting to add offense and Drouin wasn't 30, or close to it. Trading a prospect for a player further along in development who had shown signs of producing offense (even in the playoffs) made sense for a team needing more offense.

But, then, losing Radulov and negating the addition of offense that represented Drouin, failing to add the still missing top-6C and not retaining Markov as a stop-gap on LD cancelled any value in trading Sergachev for Drouin.

The same way that trading Subban for Weber and not adding more to the roster in terms of missing pieces (A friggin' top-6 C) was another example of Bergevin,s inability to finish the job he started.

Reactions: aresknights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad