HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #80

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
So what. I loved him, but that doesn't mean the player was to become an automatic star because of it. HYPED does not equal actual value, in the end.

He definitely was a top prospect in the organization, though.
Exactly my point. Bergevin traded away the best prospect (“future”) in his worst trade. Which is unfortunate and ironic considering his insipid mantra “don’t mortgage the future”.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Exactly my point. Bergevin traded away the best prospect (“future”) in his worst trade. Which is unfortunate and ironic considering his insipid mantra “don’t mortgage the future”.
You were talking about how being hyped by the fan base means something so no that wasn't your point.

Reactions: aresknights

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He has hyped by the Habs organization. Until he was traded, that is. Then Drouin was hyped.
So you expect the organization to shit on their 9th OA pick or express concerns with him? That would show that they think they f***ed up already. What are you even saying lol. Who cares about what hype a prospect had?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
So you expect the organization to shit on their 9th OA pick or express concerns with him? That would show that they think they f***ed up already. What are you even saying lol. Who cares about what hype a prospect had?
The context of the conversation, unless I’m mistaken, is how dumb it was to trade our best prospect for Drouin.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Drouin was 22. It was a stupid, godawful trade but he wasn't mortgaging the future.

Nope. Not a blue chip prior to NHL. Easy to say today knowing how he developed.

What a dumb post. You're 1000% wrong. Just own up to the fact that you made a dumb point.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Weber had best shot in Canadiens history.

True..............but that has nothing to do with what I had said......................we were talking the last two seasons including the playoffs he provided almost no offense.
Hard shot, but couldn't hit the net the last two seasons......

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Shifting gears, why are there even any trade rumours? What's the point of making trades at this time?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Just looking at our forward group you see how crowded it is in the bottom 6.

Guys like Ylonen, Pitlick or Pezzetta will have to unseat some vets to avoid waivers, especially if Slaf makes the team.

Once Byron/Monahan come back something will have to move. Unless of course we have a carousel of injuries by the time they return.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Shifting gears, why are there even any trade rumours? What's the point of making trades at this time?
Free space on the roster for prospects and/or avoid losing a player to waivers for nothing.

The Habs have too many forwards with NHL contracts, 15 of them without counting Slaf. They should be at 13 or 14 for a 23 men roster.

Reactions: ReHabs

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Free space on the roster for prospects and/or avoid losing a player to waivers for nothing.

The Habs have too many forwards with NHL contracts, 15 of them without counting Slaf. They should be at 13 or 14 for a 23 men roster.

As of Today our 2023-2024 is almost completely set without any places left for most of our prospect.

We also have to look long term now.

Offense:
1- Suzuki
2- Dach
3- Anderson
4- Gallagher
5- Dvorak
6- Armia
7- Hoffman
8 - Evans
9- Slafkovsky

10- Caufield (RFA)
11- Pezzetta (RFA)

Defense
1- Matheson
2- Edmundson
3- Savard
4- Wideman
5- Barron

Montembeault in goal

Not many room left even for the 2023-2024 season and I bet a whole lot more prospect will be ready next year and pushing for spot. We absolutely need to make room even more for next year than this year.

And the Habs will have 28.5M to play with (minus Caufield....) next summer, but barely no place to add anyone.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The bad news: Charlie Murphy’s name appears atop.

The good news: it’s a Marco D’Amico piece (more reliable than Murphy, although your pet turtle is more reliable than Murphy, too).

The bad news: the whole piece is based upon “a well-placed NHL executive” — the only source and he’s unnamed. Could be the same guy this site taps into on a weekly basis.

The good news: there appears to be high demand for Allen.

Given how injury prone Allen is, how his workload needs to be carefully managed, how he’ll never be able to play as a no. 1 and he’s 32 (won’t get more durable now) — what is Hughes waiting for? You can probably find a reasonable Allen facsimile for less and see if someone is willing to overpay.

D’Amico goes on with how Hughes has been dangling Hoffman, Armia and Dvorak. News flash: nobody wants the first two unless Hughes takes a bitter pill in return.

Dvorak is more palatable but he’d have to come out strong for a team to bite and even then, I’m not expecting a huge return. When the Yotes had him, they had all kinds of trouble trying to snag a 1st rounder for him and once they did, their GM appeared to be surprised that he did. Dvorak’s market value has not increased since then, it probably got worse.

Which leaves another player in very high demand, Joel Edmundson, as confirmed by Renaud Lavoie last week. Huge offers have poured in, as per Lavoie, but Hughes is holding off.

So, if Hughes wants cap room and viable returns, look no further than Allen and Edmundson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

True..............but that has nothing to do with what I had said......................we were talking the last two seasons including the playoffs he provided almost no offense.
Hard shot, but couldn't hit the net the last two seasons......
Agreed. His shot was pretty much useless because he has no idea where it was going. Usually in the stands or breaking something on Gallagher. Petry was FAR better at getting the puck through to the net.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Would be strange to give Edmundson the A and trade him before training camp started. If he was bound to leave I don’t think they’d bother identifying him as a leader.

Reactions: Scriptor and jrom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If a massive overpay for Edmundson is available, I very much doubt that the letter on his uniform would stand in the way of a deal.

We’re likely headed in that direction since the way Lavoie described it, the offers Hughes has been receiving are very enticing.

As much as I like Edmundson and how much of a good mentor he’d be, if the Habs are looking for a ransom, several teams right now, would be willing to pay it.

Will Hughes keep saying no?

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If a massive overpay for Edmundson is available, I very much doubt that the letter on his uniform would stand in the way of a deal.

We’re likely headed in that direction since the way Lavoie described it, the offers Hughes has been receiving are very enticing.

As much as I like Edmundson and how much of a good mentor he’d be, if the Habs are looking for a ransom, several teams right now, would be willing to pay it.

Will Hughes keep saying no?
Why right now, though? I feel like nobody makes trades right before training camp. Not with cap space being so tight across the league, anyway.

I’m sure Hughes would be open to trade Anderson, Dvorak, and Edmundson today if the return was right.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The bad news: Charlie Murphy’s name appears atop.

The good news: it’s a Marco D’Amico piece (more reliable than Murphy, although your pet turtle is more reliable than Murphy, too).

The bad news: the whole piece is based upon “a well-placed NHL executive” — the only source and he’s unnamed. Could be the same guy this site taps into on a weekly basis.

The good news: there appears to be high demand for Allen.

Given how injury prone Allen is, how his workload needs to be carefully managed, how he’ll never be able to play as a no. 1 and he’s 32 (won’t get more durable now) — what is Hughes waiting for? You can probably find a reasonable Allen facsimile for less and see if someone is willing to overpay.

D’Amico goes on with how Hughes has been dangling Hoffman, Armia and Dvorak. News flash: nobody wants the first two unless Hughes takes a bitter pill in return.

Dvorak is more palatable but he’d have to come out strong for a team to bite and even then, I’m not expecting a huge return. When the Yotes had him, they had all kinds of trouble trying to snag a 1st rounder for him and once they did, their owner appeared to be surprised that he did. Dvorak’s market value has not increased since then, it probably got worse.

Which leaves another player in very high demand, Joel Edmundson, as confirmed by Renaud Lavoie last week. Huge offers have poured in, as per Lavoie, but Hughes is holding off.

So, if Hughes wants cap room and viable returns, look no further than Allen and Edmundson.
I did like D’amico when he was with his other account and was talking about prospect, but he dosen’t have any source and he’s not reliable. I don’t even remember him having 1 good jnfo

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I did like D’amico when he was with his other account and was talking about prospect, but he dosen’t have any source and he’s not reliable. I don’t even remember him having 1 good jnfo
D’Amico was vetted by a mod on this site so that tells me he must have some credibility.

I think he’s fallen into the bottomless gutter of having to keep posting articles in order to ensure visibility but unfortunately, there are many days where there just isn’t enough substance to warrant a new article. His association with the likes of Murphy, who has a shoddy record when it comes to Habs rumours, does nothing to enhance the profile of his site.

Because he can’t justify publishing so many pieces on non-news days, he’s been repeating himself (for instance, that Hoffman, Armia and Dvorak are on the market has been regurgitated several times already, so much so that it has become stock filler).

He’s also had to resort to the unnamed but well-placed NHL executive dude, for source material. Maybe it’s the same guy that other sites are calling “one Western conference senior scout”, who knows.

All I know is without a guy like that working in the shadows and somehow spilling stuff to these Twitter accounts, a lot of these sites might cease to exist or would have to scale down considerably or take on a different bent (become more analytical, more stats oriented, focus on providing comment after news has broken, etc.).

I too much preferred D’Amico when he only posted from a personal Twitter account, interacted directly with users and provided perspective. His interventions were concise and to the point and also very practical. A lot of that was diluted when he joined Montreal Now.

Reactions: ReHabs and Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why right now, though? I feel like nobody makes trades right before training camp. Not with cap space being so tight across the league, anyway.

I’m sure Hughes would be open to trade Anderson, Dvorak, and Edmundson today if the return was right.
Why now? Cause the massive offers being reported by Lavoie, are coming in now.

That doesn’t mean Hughes will bite now. He might try to milk them for even more but if someone raises the stakes and massively overpays, then now sounds as good a time as any.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

blueberry

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You would figure that teams wouldn't be thinking of trading right now as teams haven't solidified yet and there will likely be waiver pickups. Plus teams probably don't really know what they have yet. Maybe some teams will have a rookie stay up which might free up a decent defenseman. If we supposedly received mega offers it kind of implies panic on the part of the team making the offer and really it's early for any team to be panicing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Edmundson has a stabilizing effect for the D-Corps that goes beyond his value in a trade, IMO.
He’s definitely a valued asset to the Habs but other teams seem to assess him as much.

He’s a great mentor, will stick up for teammates, adds size and grit to the lineup and has experienced winning a Stanley Cup.

Lots of desirable attributes but at what point does he become that much more valuable in a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad