HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Huberdeau would make CC score 40 every year he's one of the top playmakers in the league.

Dadonov 28g/70pts seasons were with him if the Flames want to reunite them we need more 1st round picks. Lfg

Reactions: Naslundforever

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Don’t we have like 16M off the books next year?

Edit: we have $12m ish
Sign hub to 7x8
Trade dvo/2024 1st/2nd
Sign PLD to 8x8

Ez

We have to be careful about signing players until their late 30s. As you can see from our current situation a lot of these big contracts don't always work out. A lot of NHL players seem to fall harder than Biden trying to climb a flight of stairs when they reach 33- 34. The average NHLer is about 27 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigM2

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Really? Columbus just gave away a real good player on a real good cap hit yesterday. I don't know that it will always be like this, but personally I'd hold off signing anybody to big dollars, and see how this plays out.
Pretty sure, IF they wouldnt acquire Gudbranson for 4x4, Bjorkstand is still playing for Columbus. what a dumb move. Like Bergevin, one bad move, for one good move

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Really? Columbus just gave away a real good player on a real good cap hit yesterday. I don't know that it will always be like this, but personally I'd hold off signing anybody to big dollars, and see how this plays out.
That player also had a NTC ..this limiting potential suitors

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From what I've heard, Huberdeau is pissed about leaving Florida and the person I spoke to said it would be a huge surprise if he was signing in Calgary. Montréal would definitely be a good option especially if Dubois goes there also.
Did you have to sign an NDA or were you free to share that? :sarcasm:

Forum has suddenly taken a corporate turn.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yeah, it's a toughie. He hasn't made a ton of money in his career. So he may be looking to break the bank.
It's likely his last contract. I'm all for the reasonable dollar figure, but asking to take four years on top of that, come on...

A 7-year, maximum term contract would have Huberdeau play for the HABS as a 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36 year old. Given his style of play, I'm not concerned to see his contract age as badly as I would be if Matthew Tkachuk had signed is lates contract at the same age as Huberdeau rather than at 24 years of age.

People are severely downplaying the value of a legitimate PPG + player in Huberdeau, potentially the best playmaking winger in the league.

I'd take both Huberdeau and Dubois as UFAs for maximum term in Montreal, even if Huberdeau came in at a 10M figure and Dubois rang up an 8M price tag.

Montreal could afford to do it with the money coming off the books over the next two years and still have room to add more talent on D via the UFA market (Weegar as well?) if it chooses to do as much.

The ELC contracts will add extremely talented and affordable depth to the lineup, both up front and on the back end and provide options for the future when tough decisions will need to be made to keep a contender on the ice.

I really hate when objections spring forth automatically as soon as a francophone star player is mentioned as an option for the Habs.I'm not saying there is any racism behind it, but it's pretty automatic when it happens.

Are we jaded because past francophone players have appeared to use Montreal as leverage for better contracts elsewhere?

On the off chance that both Huberdeau and Dubois are sincere about wanting to play for Montreal, why wouldn't we make a witch for them as UFAs? so what of it turns out they used the Habs to get a richer contract elsewhere.

I think that the off chance they end up playing in Montreal is worth the gamble.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's likely his last contract. I'm all for the reasonable dollar figure, but asking to take four years on top of that, come on...

A 7-year, maximum term contract would have Huberdeau play for the HABS as a 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36 year old. Given his style of play, I'm not concerned to see his contract age as badly as I would be if Matthew Tkachuk had signed is lates contract at the same age as Huberdeau rather than at 24 years of age.

People are severely downplaying the value of a legitimate PPG + player in Huberdeau, potentially the best playmaking winger in the league.

I'd take both Huberdeau and Dubois as UFAs for maximum term in Montreal, even if Huberdeau came in at a 10M figure and Dubois rang up an 8M price tag.

Montreal could afford to do it with the money coming off the books over the next two years and still have room to add more talent on D via the UFA market (Weegar as well?) if it chooses to do as much.

The ELC contracts will add extremely talented and affordable depth to the lineup, both up front and on the back end and provide options for the future when tough decisions will need to be made to keep a contender on the ice.

I really hate when objections spring forth automatically as soon as a francophone star player is mentioned as an option for the Habs.I'm not saying there is any racism behind it, but it's pretty automatic when it happens.

Are we jaded because past francophone players have appeared to use Montreal as leverage for better contracts elsewhere?

On the off chance that both Huberdeau and Dubois are sincere about wanting to play for Montreal, why wouldn't we make a witch for them as UFAs? so what of it turns out they used the Habs to get a richer contract elsewhere.

I think that the off chance they end up playing in Montreal is worth the gamble.

Let's hope he's close with fellow Quebecer from his Florida days, Matheson.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There isn’t always 100+ point players with interest in coming to the Habs. And 60+ point two-way centres for that matter. Cap should be going up with the Seattle money coming in.
We’re not a destination team but whenever you have legit scoring talents who want to sign with you, you don’t think twice. Especially if they can be had for free. Easy decision.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Dadonov, Drouin, Byron, Allen. Caufield needs a raise. You need to account for potential overages from Slafkovsky. You can fit one of PLD/Huberdeau but likely not both without moving more salary, which seems impossible to do.

Now if Price retires, that’s another story. Still, the point is so many mediocre players locked up for too much money.
I would consider using our plethora of picks to move contracts (Armia, Gallagher), if we could ensure we would sign Huberddau/PLD

Reactions: le_sean and jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Both teams thought they were going to lose their player. Florida locked up Tkachuk and Calgary got Weeger and a first for the risk of Huberdeau walking. It’s an even trade.
not if Huberdeau walks!!!

Florida knew they were signing Tkachuk, it's still a mystery for Calgary.

Will be an interesting situation to follow this year......will Huberdeau sign or opt for free agency....??

I would consider using our plethora of picks to move contracts (Armia, Gallagher), if we could ensure we would sign Huberddau/PLD
the only one that's a no go is our own 1st.....( in regards to picks)

Reactions: Runner77

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He's just saying that you can't do a sign and trade now so you shouldn't pay like it's a sign and trade. I mean it makes sense. I think there's a pretty low chance PLD gets traded now until probably mid-season anyway.

No matter what his current contract situation is, for all intents and purposes, Montreal acquiring Dubois is a sign and trade. Brisson will be involved in any deal.

Reactions: jaffy27

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm down for this!!

Gally has to give as well. We are going to need to sign Slaf and that 2023 first eventually as well.

My only issue is Hubs.....something about his age is giving me the shivers....he is going to command a 7 year x 9.5 mil salary. At his age....we would get 3 maybe 4 years of value....the back half of that contract would syck ass.
Really. Huberdeau is a legitimate PPG+ player that may well be the best playmaking winger in hockey right now and his style of play isn't one like Tkachuk or Gallagher that would make contract years in the 30s much riskier than they will be for Huberdeau.

Plus, a 7 year maximum deal is 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36 years old. It's not ideal for maximum term contract, but it's not like we'd have signed him for 37 , 38 and 39 years of age.

If we were able to get both Huberdeau and Dubois, plus a solid 1st round draft pick or two (FLA?) in 2023 to go with those two players and Slafkovsky, plus Roy (who I think has genuine potential) and Beck as a depth C, etc., Montreal can afford to pay up in draft picks to get rid og=f Gallagher,s albatross of a contract after the 2023 draft has come and gone.

I'd toss a 2024 2nd rounder, a 2025 1st rounder and a 2026 3rd rounder to get rid of Gallagher's contract. I'd even offer up an 2025 3rd rounder, a 2024 2nd rounder and a 2027 4th rounder to get rid of Armia's contract. I think we can get rid of Savard's final year as a Hab by including an extended Jake Evans in the deal.

With the quality veterans we would have in the top-6 needing a good blend of ELC talent in the bottom-6, we could trader booth Dvorak and Anderson strictly for futures.

If both Huberdeau and Dubois truly want to come here, the cap doesn't need to be a problem when not comes to signing them. I'd just be over the top if we managed to finish with a top-3 pick in 2023 and landed Fantilli (I'd move Anderson and Dvorak for futures immediately to accommodate that possibility) if I had any sign that Huberdeau and Dubois were coming to Montreal.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So you're saying cap space is not so hard to come by right now?
I’m saying there were limited teams w cap space to absorb that contract in the first place, and that population was even more limited because of his NTC - i suspect CDN teams were all likely part of his no go zone

Reactions: Runner77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You're optimistic....I like it....still would be hard for him to see this since we're about to have another very rough season.
It's up to Hughes to make him see that. I think he might be able to do it with Slafkovsky on board and another really good draft pick in 2023 that can have an impact in a couple of years. Somehow land Dubois and a quality RHD like Weegar as well as UFAs (not necessarily Weegar) and our lineup just looks 5 times better, IMHO.

Top-6 up front:

Huberdeau - Dubois - Caufield (two scoring options for Huberdeau as premiere playmaker)
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Roy (Roy as replacement trigger for Suzuki and Slaf as play driver)
Heineman - Fantilli - Dach
Farrell - Beck - Ylonen/Mesar

Talent on backend:

Guhle - Weegar (or equivalent) (Shutdown 1st pairing with offensive upside)
Matheson - Barron (Veteran presence in Matheson to mentor Barron)
Harris - Mailloux (Kid pairing form third pairing with size and offensive upside)
Xhekaj (Mean, hard-hitting option to sub in throughout the D-Corps)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
It's up to Hughes to make him see that. I think he might be able to do it with Slafkovsky on board and another really good draft pick in 2023 that can have an impact in a couple of years. Somehow land Dubois and a quality RHD like Weegar as well as UFAs (not necessarily Weegar) and our lineup just looks 5 times better, IMHO.

Top-6 up front:

Huberdeau - Dubois - Caufield (two scoring options for Huberdeau as premiere playmaker)
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Roy (Roy as replacement trigger for Suzuki and Slaf as play driver)
Heineman - Fantilli - Dach
Farrell - Beck - Ylonen/Mesar

Talent on backend:

Guhle - Weegar (or equivalent) (Shutdown 1st pairing with offensive upside)
Matheson - Barron (Veteran presence in Matheson to mentor Barron)
Harris - Mailloux (Kid pairing form third pairing with size and offensive upside)
Xhekaj (Mean, hard-hitting option to sub in throughout the D-Corps)

Not sure Huberdeau would want to sign when half the lineup is composed of rookies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Has anyone made the Huberdeau and Tavares comparison yet?

Dubois makes sense. He’s young, versatile, fits the core, and his contract isn’t going to break the bank. We get all of his best years over the next 8 years. What’s our competitive window with 30yo Huberdeau signed to a 9mil contract?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And flat out, anyone who thinks that Florida's pick shouldn't be in play for Dubois is 1000% wrong.

anyone who thinks Florida's pick should be in play for Dubios is 1000% wrong. The Habs just finished as the worst team in the league and unless Price is 100% healthy and does in fact have a few years left in the tank as a top 10 goalie, then the only thing the Habs should be doing is focusing on rebuilding. If they can't trade some form of Edmundson, Anderson, Dvorak, Dach for PLD then they should move on, don't give up future assets unless the deal is too good to pass up.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Has anyone made the Huberdeau and Tavares comparison yet?

Dubois makes sense. He’s young, versatile, fits the core, and his contract isn’t going to break the bank. We get all of his best years over the next 8 years. What’s our competitive window with 30yo Huberdeau signed to a 9mil contract?
4-years of his-max 6-year term

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
anyone who thinks Florida's pick should be in play for Dubios is 1000% wrong. The Habs just finished as the worst team in the league and unless Price is 100% healthy and does in fact have a few years left in the tank as a top 10 goalie, then the only thing the Habs should be doing is focusing on rebuilding. If they can't trade some form of Edmundson, Anderson, Dvorak, Dach for PLD then they should move on, don't give up future assets unless the deal is too good to pass up.

What do you think the odds are the pick produces a player as good as Dubois and how old do you think Dubois is? Acquiring Dubois is rebuilding. That's the point.

It's the exact type of move that Kent Hughes was talking about when he said he'd rather acquire young players as opposed to picks. That's why he was smiling and giving the wink-wink nod-nod when asked about Dubois. That's why The Athletic's Winnipeg writer said that Montreal has still been trying to acquire Dubois after getting Dach at the draft.

What you're saying is essentially saying shit like you'd rather keep a mid 1st round pick instead of giving it up for a player that's like Suzuki. Do you not realize how ridiculous that is? Kent Hughes should be harassing Cheveldayoff daily.

Reactions: le_sean

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not sure Huberdeau would want to sign when half the lineup is composed of rookies.
You can find all the excuses you want for Huberdeau not signing here, but you can't say that lineup is without genuine talent, rookies or not. Some you view as rookies now will have a couple of years under their belts when that lineup is iced. Some will be rookies, but not in exposed positions in the lineup, so they will have the opportunity of producing as they face off against the opposition's lesser players.

Also, you can't expect a Huberdeau at 10M to become the missing piece that easily fits into a lineup that is stacked to the core with players in their prime. It's mathematically (Cap-wise) unrealistic.

Odds of winning a Cup are uncertain wherever he goes and where he signs will limit the options of most teams who aren't rebuilding in part as well. If the younger pieces are skilled, to go along with proven young veterans by the end of this season, the situation as far as Cup hopes go for a veteran who plans to have 5 more years with an impact may be seen as an interesting gamble.

Beyond that, it's up to Hughes to convince him with how he sees the short and medium term.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I just wouldn't include Dach but other than that I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad