Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I just wonder... If the trade didn't happen. Would Drouin be worth more today than Sergachev? Drouin playing with that stacked roster and Sergachev playing on our team? It will be interesting to see how this looks in about 3 years. Bigger gap in value? Same as today? or does Drouin close it?

Remember... not many expected Subban to have less value than Weber. Subban at 31 vs Weber at 35?

Probability says Sergachev is an above average top 4D. Top pairing stud? It's possible but he's not there yet.

Honestly, I don't think their value is far apart from one another's. They're completely different animals not only by position but by style, size, etc. Hab fans have a way of overreacting that if player X doesn't score a ppg, they're a complete failure. Drouin has been inconsistent for sure and has flaws, but so does Sergachev. Sergachev is still younger and has the possibility to develop further which is where Drouin was when we got him. The fact he hasn't progressed much has let down many fans but there's no guarantee Sergachev will continue past his current development either. But the hope or expectation he does is what I think is the major driver of his value in the minds of fans. The perception that he will turn into a top 2 Dman. But if doesn't than like Drouin, he'd be considered a bust and trade bait in 3-5 years.

So while Sergchev still has more perceived value because of his potential, my experience is that most players are who they are after playing as many games as Sergachev has. He's a solid top 4 D who can play top 2 next to a Weber but Drouin is also a top 6 player who needs to rely on his line-mates as well. That's why I see them as mostly equal in value with the edge to Sergachev.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
HABS WIN!!
CANCEL ALL TRADE PROPOSALS!!

/ if it ain’t broke ... :sarcasm:

Trade all the futures for improves now! :laugh:. I've been saying for a while now... the best strategy is a combo of futures and not ignoring Price and Weber. Trying to go with 100% rebuild and having a liquidation sale? Maybe after Weber retires we still have a good young core and we can sell vets then? Rocket science I tell you. This is not some CHL team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly, I don't think their value is far apart from one another's. They're completely different animals not only by position but by style, size, etc. Hab fans have a way of overreacting that if player X doesn't score a ppg, they're a complete failure. Drouin has been inconsistent for sure and has flaws, but so does Sergachev. Sergachev is still younger and has the possibility to develop further which is where Drouin was when we got him. The fact he hasn't progressed much has let down many fans but there's no guarantee Sergachev will continue past his current development either. But the hope or expectation he does is what I think is the major driver of his value in the minds of fans. The perception that he will turn into a top 2 Dman. But if doesn't than like Drouin, he'd be considered a bust and trade bait in 3-5 years.

So while Sergchev still has more perceived value because of his potential, my experience is that most players are who they are after playing as many games as Sergachev has. He's a solid top 4 D who can play top 2 next to a Weber but Drouin is also a top 6 player who needs to rely on his line-mates as well. That's why I see them as mostly equal in value with the edge to Sergachev.

I rather avoid this. The Drouin haters will come get us for putting any air in his tires! Like if you try to put 1 psi, they will jump you! :laugh:

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I rather avoid this. The Drouin haters will come get us for putting any air in his tires! Like if you try to put 1 psi, they will jump you! :laugh:
Lol. So true. I don’t mind, though. Shows me who the extremists are and I avoid them, or taunt them accordingly ;)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol. So true. I don’t mind, though. Shows me who the extremists are and I avoid them, or taunt them accordingly ;)

Drouin needs to be on a team with my physical players and a mature center. He actually has good vision but he is making bad decisions at times. With me, I realize he has flaws but I value his skating/skill/vision. It's a matter of looking at the context in why he is struggling. He's not consistent but he has shown both moments of brillence and moments of being a dud.

Age 25-30 is coming. I expect him to grow a bit more in that age range. Especially with the growth of our youth at center! He needs to figure things out though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Drouin needs to be on a team with my physical players and a mature center. He actually has good vision but he is making bad decisions at times. With me, I realize he has flaws but I value his skating/skill/vision. It's a matter of looking at the context in why he is struggling. He's not consistent but he has shown both moments of brillence and moments of being a dud.

Age 25-30 is coming. I expect him to grow a bit more in that age range. Especially with the growth of our youth at center! He needs to figure things out though.
I think he’s supporting cast who would play best when he’s not a core player. He does his thing and you can see the weight on his shoulders when things aren’t going for him. Take that pressure off and I think he’s be a big part of any teams offence. That’s why I think he’s so really well on a team like Colorado or Edmonton where he wouldn’t be a go to player like he is here and he’d shine in that environment. Add Hall and Caufield and he may fall into that here too, if he lasts that long with the Habs.
So anyone who says he had no or negative value is blind and dead wrong. He has assets, he’s just not the leader type or driver of offence like some project on him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think he’s supporting cast who would play best when he’s not a core player. He does his thing and you can see the weight on his shoulders when things aren’t going for him. Take that pressure off and I think he’s be a big part of any teams offence. That’s why I think he’s so really well on a team like Colorado or Edmonton where he wouldn’t be a go to player like he is here and he’d shine in that environment. Add Hall and Caufield and he may fall into that here too, if he lasts that long with the Habs.
So anyone who says he had no or negative value is blind and dead wrong. He has assets, he’s just not the leader type or driver of offence like some project on him.

Agreed. There is no need for our fan base to act like experts saying he sucks over and over again. That's what Leafs fans do man. Let the kid be. We all see his struggles. Blame Bergevin for making that trade. Don't take it out on Drouin

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We had that LD in Sergachev. Why we trade for a winger we don’t need?

Yeah, but apparently Sergachev needs to be discounted cause he's on a stacked team, while Drouin is not as bad as we think.

This forum. :facepalm:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

As you like to say, with the age of Price and Weber and that we now have the centers to help them win now, we may also need wingers who have figured it out by now, not in the future.

Drouin may have to be moved to a team that has time to wait for him to figure it out, in exchange for a player that already has.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Signing Hall to a 7 years x 9 Mil has its risks, but you still gotta do it.
Suzuki and Kotkaniemi look like they will have breakout seasons next year, so I can't see us finishing bottom 10.
We need more talent, and it will be hard to draft elite talent outside the top 10. Hall brings that, so if he's interested in signing here, we gotta do it.

Trade Tatar/Drouin/Domi + Byron. I'd much rather use 9 M for hall than 9 mil for Tatar/Drouin/Domi + Byron.

Reactions: 1000eeer

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Signing Hall to a 7 years x 9 Mil has its risks, but you still gotta do it.
Suzuki and Kotkaniemi look like they will have breakout seasons next year, so I can't see us finishing bottom 10.
We need more talent, and it will be hard to draft elite talent outside the top 10. Hall brings that, so if he's interested in signing here, we gotta do it.

Trade Tatar/Drouin/Domi + Byron. I'd much rather use 9 M for hall than 9 mil for Tatar/Drouin/Domi + Byron.

Signing Hall has fail written all over it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As you like to say, with the age of Price and Weber and that we now have the centers to help them win now, we may also need wingers who have figured it out by now, not in the future.

Drouin may have to be moved to a team that has time to wait for him to figure it out, in exchange for a player that already has.

I'd consider trading that 16th OA and Drouin if we get a winger that we need.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
3-way trade...

To MTL :
Anthony Mantha

To EDM :
Max Domi

To DET :
EDM 1st (14th overall)
Jesse Puljujarvi
What is this hard-on for Mantha in this forum? He'll be 26 in Sept and his numbers are less than Domi's. Talk about an overrated player. I'll bet that Mantha will be hitting 33 and there will be posters claiming he has untapped potential.

And yes I know he has never played a full season. So we're chasing a player who is perenially injured for a large chunk of the season? Doesn't seem like a winning strategy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad