Status
Not open for further replies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's start this one off with a bang.

Habs offer:

Suzuki
Romanov
2021st round pick (unprotected - give them incentive to hope for lottery win)

Rangers offer:

Lafreniere

Who says yes/no?

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
If the Flames were asking to take on Lucic contract to make a trade around Gaudreau and Domi, would you do it?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Habs offer:

Suzuki
Romanov

Rangers offer:

Lafreniere

Who says yes/no?

I think both teams will say no, but if the Habs want Lafrenière I think that’s where it would start. It would have to be an overpayment. I think they would be paying for his potential ceiling.

Reactions: bobholly39

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018

Habs offer:

Suzuki
Romanov

Rangers offer:

Lafreniere

Who says yes/no?

First of all, im not sure NY trades that pick for basically anything.

But assuming they did, that a big ask. I know you'd have to basically overpay but you're giving up a proven 20 year old NHL player, one of the top ranked players from outside the NHL (ready to go next season) and an unprotected 1st rounder. That seems like a crap-ton for a guy who seems very polarizing. Laf will be a very good player for sure. But there seems to be no consensus on whether he's generational or merely a first liner.

Id say no to that deal, for 2 reasons: first, it seems like a big gamble. Second, the reason our future looks promising right now is that while we dont have a McDavid type talent at centre, we do have a 1-2 punch of JK, Suzuki and then arguably the best 3rd line centre in the league in Danault. Give one of those 2 young guys up and now we're weaker at C. We're already relatively strong at LW - obviously none of Drouin, Domi, Lekhs etc are even remotely close to as talented as Laf purportedly is, but still, we're not terrible at that position.

It would see foolhardy to weaken ourselves at arguably the most important positions to get gains at one that we're relatively strong at.

but just my 2¢

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
First of all, im not sure NY trades that pick for basically anything.

But assuming they did, that a big ask. I know you'd have to basically overpay but you're giving up a proven 20 year old NHL player, one of the top ranked players from outside the NHL (ready to go next season) and an unprotected 1st rounder. That seems like a crap-ton for a guy who seems very polarizing. Laf will be a very good player for sure. But there seems to be no consensus on whether he's generational or merely a first liner.

Id say no to that deal, for 2 reasons: first, it seems like a big gamble. Second, the reason our future looks promising right now is that while we dont have a McDavid type talent at centre, we do have a 1-2 punch of JK, Suzuki and then arguably the best 3rd line centre in the league in Danault. Give one of those 2 young guys up and now we're weaker at C. We're already relatively strong at LW - obviously none of Drouin, Domi, Lekhs etc are even remotely close to as talented as Laf purportedly is, but still, we're not terrible at that position.

It would see foolhardy to weaken ourselves at arguably the most important positions to get gains at one that we're relatively strong at.

but just my 2¢

A lot of it comes down to what we reasonably expect Suzuki and KK to end up as. I think they're both proving this year (and specifically, these playoffs for KK) that they can be centers in the NHL. But will either of them ever score 90-100+ points? Or even ppg? Or will they settle more in the ~60-65 point range (like a Pacioretty/Plekanec/Koivu type player). We've been stuck with Koivu/Pacioretty/Plekanec level first liners for the past 2 and a half decades, and haven't won anything with those.

By all accounts - Lafreniere looks to be a star in this leage, a top 5-10 player overall. Someone who could consistently do 90-100+ points maybe. Might be worth sacrificing one of KK/Suzuki for that.

Reactions: Benstheman

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think both teams will say no, but if the Habs want Lafrenière I think that’s where it would start. It would have to be an overpayment. I think they would be paying for his potential ceiling.

I agree, that's where it would start. I don't think Rangers say yes to this deal, I think we'd have to add on top of it (but complementary pieces, hopefully).

A deal like this also only works if it lines up well with Ranger needs. Which I honestly have absolutely no idea about. When you try to engage with Ranger fans, they get so ridiculously defensive that you can't get that answer from them lol

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Mtl cannot afford to offer what NYR would want just to start the discussions. They would want more than that package and I would not be surprised if they asked for KK as well.

Frankly, LAF isn’t worth gutting the prospect pool.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I agree, that's where it would start. I don't think Rangers say yes to this deal, I think we'd have to add on top of it (but complementary pieces, hopefully).

A deal like this also only works if it lines up well with Ranger needs. Which I honestly have absolutely no idea about. When you try to engage with Ranger fans, they get so ridiculously defensive that you can't get that answer from them lol

I’m sure Habs fans would be the same way if they had the first overall. It would take a big overpayment to get him.

I really believe posters think of the potential ceiling a prospect brings and use that as their value. In Lafrenière’s case that might be be multiple 100+ point seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobholly39

Jul 6, 2016
I’m sure Habs fans would be the same way if they had the first overall. It would take a big overpayment to get him.

I really believe posters think of the potential ceiling a prospect brings and use that as their value. In Lafrenière’s case that might be be multiple 100+ point seasons.

But Lafrenière needs also excellent line mates too. If Habs trade KK or Suzuki for him, that is counter productive.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
But Lafrenière needs also excellent line mates too. If Habs trade KK or Suzuki for him, that is counter productive.

I’m not saying to trade them. But that would definitely be part of the asking price if they went after Lafrenière.

I agree with @Runner77, it’s really time to move on from Lafrenière.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Mtl cannot afford to offer what NYR would want just to start the discussions. They would want more than that package and I would not be surprised if they asked for KK as well.

Frankly, LAF isn’t worth gutting the prospect pool.

I think I'd be willing to take cap dumps and/or also include someone like Gallagher or Tatar to get him, maybe even Domi. And possibly swap out Suzuki for KK or Caulfield if they prefer to Suzuki (I think Suzuki holds most value, so was trying to be generous).

I agree that they may want 3 core young pieces instead (so 3 of KK/Suzuki/Caulfield/Romanov). I definitely wouldn't do that.

As to what NYR wants - I have no idea. That's the only reason i'm somewhat clinging to these conversations. If a bottom feeder like Detroit or Ottawa had won - i'd say for sure they keep Laf. I feel like Rangers are in a pretty good place in their rebuild, enough so that they could afford to pass on Laf if they can get a treasure ransom for him that better aligns with team needs. I just have no idea if this offer matches up with what they'd want. I keep hearing they want a 2C, which is why one of Suzuki/KK could be great value for them, but just a guess

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Been thinking about if NY goes byfield then what can we offer LA, but arent good trade partners

If you want to force NYR to draft Byfield we could Staal for Mete type of deal.

As for LAK well they would take laf on anything we send them they have a great prospect pool

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I’m not saying to trade them. But that would definitely be part of the asking price if they went after Lafrenière.

I agree with @Runner77, it’s really time to move on from Lafrenière.

We can stop talking about Lafreniere here if you guys want - but I have a suspicion that Bergevin might make a play for him, in reality. I know people love to hate him here - but he did make a successful offer sheet when no one else did. And by all accounts, he was willing to go sky high on both Stamkos and Tavares, but didn't work out. He's tried to hit home runs in the past, so i could see him do so again. With Laf being a local kid - it's just extra motivation for our management.

Clearly - I have no idea what Rangers intentions are. Often the team who wins #1 overall right away says they're not trading no matter what, and if that's the case it's a moot point. But if they're willing to listen to offers - I don't think this scenario is too horribly far-fetched.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Been thinking about if NY goes byfield then what can we offer LA, but arent good trade partners

As for LAK well they would take laf on anything we send them they have a great prospect pool

NYR aren't going to draft Byfield #1. Even if they think he's a better prospect - Laf >> Byfield for trade value today. They'd find a way to trade with LA and have LA pay them to draft Lafreniere

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018

We wouldn't take Byfield 1 though, no team would, that's just silly. Our President also already slipped up and admitted we're taking Laf.

I don't think the price for the pick would be worth what Montreal would have to surrender. It would hurt y'all long-term too significantly.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Tarasenko out with more shoulder issues so no way we trade for him. Legit needs to rethink this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->