Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And 12 months later he and KK were the best centers we've had in decades. Add some actual skill to their wings and they can flourish even more.

I'm not in the let's tank another 3 years and than give it the old college try. If we had any offence whatsoever, our PP would be better, there's less pressure on Price and the D and on individual players a whole. Also builds confidence that they can come back in a game when they're down by a goal and promotes overall positive aura around the team. It also attracts more UFA's and players in trades who want to play for a competitive team who has a shot at a cup. There are downsides for sure, but the upsides outweigh them by far. Having a true offensive star player changes the complete outlook of a team especially one that has the best goalie in the world and a solid D corp built for the playoffs., especially if we can add to it.

I don't want to tank either. I just saying Gaudreau for 2 years is not ideal for where we stand today. Still interested but I have my concerns and not going to ignore them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If we were to get Gaudreau, regardless of what we trade to get him, and if he has a good year next year, I would try to lock him up long term during the summer. If he doesn't sign, then I would trade him, with an extension, similar to the Pacioretty deal.

Note, Domi is in the same position. When I talked with Jets fans they were reticent about Domi for many years. One is he could walk in two years as a UFA. Why give up 22 year old Laine for a package where Domi is a major piece if he'll just walk.

The issue with Gaudreau is the timing of when you want to extend him. You can'd do that until July of 2021 and that's when his 5 teams trade list kicks in. Can the Habs decline that option if we trade for him? Like the Preds did with Subban?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Thing is, I don't think size is this crucial factor we lack. It seems our offensive zone scheme is not suited for our players. Also, adding a defenceman who's a threat from the blueline would not only strengthen our defense, but help to create more offensively.

Sure we could use size. It's always better to have another dimension than not have it. But I would be wary to change the whole philosophy based on a 6 game sample, when I'm not even convinced this is the main reason we lost.

Go get a Killorn for bargain price if you crave for size.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Suzuki played much of this year at wing. He'll be fine long term with half a season on the wing.
And he was much better at Center and it also made the team better as a whole. Suzy will not be going back to wing.

The team has been dying for a legitimate Center and now there's a chance we have an excellent 1-2 punch going forward. Moving our best Center prospect in decades to wing in completely foolish.

Reactions: Habs4Life

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
In a Habs perspective of course but in a Jets perspective never

They need D prospects. So let's send them one:

(MTL) Max Domi (center) + Ryan Poehling (center) + One of Brook/Fleury/Juulsen/Harris/Mete <-> (WPG) Ehlers (6'0 winger) + Vesalainen (6'4 winger)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In a Habs perspective of course but in a Jets perspective never

What makes Ehlers better than Domi? As far as I know... Domi's production is similar and he played with less talent than Ehlers in his career so far. You put Ehlers on the Coyotes to start his career and Domi on the Jets and I bet you the results are different.

I think too many people ignore context. Especially the 2nd tier skilled guys like Ehlers and Domi.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The issue with Gaudreau is the timing of when you want to extend him. You can'd do that until July of 2021 and that's when his 5 teams trade list kicks in. Can the Habs decline that option if we trade for him? Like the Preds did with Subban?

The NMC/NTC follows the player now in a trade as per the new CBA so I believe the Habs cannot decline that option.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Would you do:

(MTL) Max Domi (center) + Ryan Poehling (center) + a pick <-> (WPG) Ehlers (6'0 winger) + Vesalainen (6'4 winger)
I'm biased because I love Nikky. He's not big but he plays with an edge. One of the best skaters in the league. If he gets the opportunity to play first line minutes and 1st PP, I believe he can be a 70-80 LW.

Imo, Ehlers is a much more complete and dynamic player than Domi.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What makes Ehlers better than Domi? As far as I know... Domi's production is similar and he played with less talent than Ehlers in his career so far. You put Ehlers on the Coyotes to start his career and Domi on the Jets and I bet you the results are different.

I think too many people ignore context. Especially the 2nd tier skilled guys like Ehlers and Domi.

Ehlers is a regular 60 pts player
Domi did 60 pts or + 1 time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't post to win popularity contests...

Kk and Suzuki as also tore it up when Muller put them together for a few shifts...

But the problem with fans is they base their whole opinion on the last few games. Drouin was terrible, and everyone wants him gone. then he makes one nice play, and gets on the score sheet from a lucky Armia goal, and half the fan bas wants that line together for years to come...

Where are you getting half the fan base wanting Drouin to stay? A few fans, maybe. Most don’t buy Drouin to be more than he’s been in the last 3 seasons. Only reason a sizeable portion of the fan base do not want to trade him is that they feel his value is too low on the market. Nobody is getting fooled.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The NMC/NTC follows the player now in a trade as per the new CBA so I believe the Habs cannot decline that option.

So then, it's risky in terms of those who think we can flip him for assets if he don't want to extend. Could very well turn into a Trouba situation and we look like fools in 3 years.

I'm open to trading both Domi and the 16th OA pick but I would like the player coming back to be similar to Domi's age and under team control. Yeah, It's Johnny Hockey but imagine if he struggles with our team and how our fan base treats him?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would they accept that?

Change Mete for a good prospect and maybe

I say we send Domi to arbitration and play him in a stable spot next year if we don't get the trade value we deserve for him. Then see how the Laine/Jets marriage goes in the same time period. Jets trading Laine could happen depending on Laine's contract demands.

How many teams step up and have the room to sign Laine for $9M+? Not many. Teams will call the Jets and offer futures and contract dumps which the Jets would decline.

Domi and the 16th is very solid. We add a prospect like Poehling, or Brook, or Fleury. I really do feel other teams might beat that but would have difficulty in the overall circumstance at play and the flat cap is one part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad