Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Who says Montreal sends the offer sheet? Plenty of teams can put one out which puts Tampa in a pickle. They may be better off trading Sergachev or Cerrelli proactively to avoid that situation all together and avoid the possibility of losing both instead of just one which would be disastrous. There's plenty of interest in both, especially Cerelli as a young center so Tampa might be willing to trade Sergachev to preserve Cerelli or vice versa.

I think when you already have Stamkos, Point, Paquette and Stephens at centre, yet you only have Hedman, McDonagh and Coburn as signed D, the one you should keep is clearly Sergachev. And they need to do it quick because Sergachev is the type that should get multiple offers from other teams, but I don't really know if Cirelli will be as coveted.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I understand your approach, I just don't think it's palatable because it doesn't think it create what we actually need: a competitive first line. Getzlaf, Kopitar etc. are no longer first liners. It would be much better to take a risk on a young player like Suzuki to be the 2nd part of that line, even if you have to shelter both Suzuki and Lafreniere for a while.

I think Suzuki is part of that equation at some point with or without Lafreniere - Lafreniere just accelerates this.

I mean lets be real. If we want a cup in the next 10 years. We have to overcome a McDavid line, we have to overcome a McKinnon line, a Matthews-Marner line etc.

At 5/5... the Danault line can play against anybody! That's why my strategy would be to keep them together. Then you roll the other two lines. Top talent has advantage on the PP more than 5/5.

Habs adding pieces like Lafreniere, Brodin, and a center like Getzlaf, Kopitar, Toews would change things dramatically for us and it is in the Weber window. I am open to using parts of our prospect pool to make the team better now... if we get Lafreniere.

Reactions: stanley25

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think when you already have Stamkos, Point, Paquette and Stephens at centre, yet you only have Hedman, McDonagh and Coburn as signed D, the one you should keep is clearly Sergachev. And they need to do it quick because Sergachev is the type that should get multiple offers from other teams, but I don't really know if Cirelli will be as coveted.

I think both Sergachev and Cirelli would be targeted. Lots to like in both players. Cirelli is one of those physical centers who has offensive ability.

Look at the contracts for Hedman and McDonagh. They will be around for a while. Sergachev will have to play RD which they have tried over and over again since they acquired him. When McDonagh went down, Sergachev played some of his best hockey in his spot.

Too bad McDonagh has a NTC. Cause he could be moved to clear out spot for Sergachev in the top 4D. Do they think Sergachev is a long term fix at RD? Possible yes but they have not stapled him in that spot yet from what I have noticed.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't know either but I was watching something where they named all the teams who were interested in Cerelli and how they were expecting an OS from one of them. I didn't see the same on Sergachev though it's very possible it's the same situation.

Reactions: le_sean

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know either but I was watching something where they named all the teams who were interested in Cerelli and how they were expecting an OS from one of them. I didn't see the same on Sergachev though it's very possible it's the same situation.

Watched a TSN free agency draft by some of the guys on staff and I believe Mike Johnson took Cirelli early. He was questioned on that when a guy like Hall is available for free and Johnson said Cirelli is still his #1 pick even if it was an offer sheet.

It was a UFA/RFA draft and interesting to watch

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I guess the best thing for MB is getting he #1 pick, that would save his bacon,lol

we can only wish upon a star,

Runner?? your thoughts?

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Who says Montreal sends the offer sheet? Plenty of teams can put one out which puts Tampa in a pickle. They may be better off trading Sergachev or Cerrelli proactively to avoid that situation all together and avoid the possibility of losing both instead of just one which would be disastrous. There's plenty of interest in both, especially Cerelli as a young center so Tampa might be willing to trade Sergachev to preserve Cerelli or vice versa.

I will be more than happy with an OS for Sergachev = 1st 2nd 3rd 6X5

The way i see it
- we need to move on to the next step (Vancouver JT Miller style)
- We keep a good prospect this year
- Successor in pp
- Compatriot to Romanov
- Depending who we pick (laf drool), Tatar/Gallagher/Domi Could go for picks next year
- Grow together A propsects: This year 1st, Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Sergachev, Caufield, Primeau B prospects: Juulsen, Poe, Evans, Harris, Strub, Brook, Norlinder? Surrounded with Veteran

If we do nothing we lost time, the picks we will gather this year might be ready in 3-4 years
We wont bring UFAs, never happens
Again Price could still do it

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I will be more than happy with an OS for Sergachev = 1st 2nd 3rd 6X5

The way i see it
- we need to move on to the next step (Vancouver JT Miller style)
- We keep a good prospect this year
- Successor in pp
- Compatriot to Romanov
- Depending who we pick (laf drool), Tatar/Gallagher/Domi Could go for picks next year
- Grow together A propsects: This year 1st, Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Sergachev, Caufield, Primeau B prospects: Juulsen, Poe, Evans, Harris, Strub, Brook, Norlinder? Surrounded with Veteran

If we do nothing we lost time, the picks we will gather this year might be ready in 3-4 years
We wont bring UFAs, never happens
Again Price could still do it

I think a trade makes even more sense as the can move more salary out with a player like Killorn and bring in more, cheap NHL bodies as they still need to fill out their roster. Because you're taking back salary, should make the terms of the trade even more favorable. In any case, we're in a good spot to make something happen with some team and I truly can't imagine Bergevin won't. This is the year with the flat cap, expansion draft and stocked picks at the draft.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

I'd love to have him at the right price but only if we replace Tatar or Drouin or Domi (if he's playing wing). Hall plays at one of the rare positions of strength we have. I'd much rather target Krug or Sergachev than add another LW unless we use an existing LW to trade for a LD while adding Hall. That, I'm all for.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd love to have him at the right price but only if we replace Tatar or Drouin or Domi (if he's playing wing). Hall plays at one of the rare positions of strength we have. I'd much rather target Krug or Sergachev than add another LW unless we use an existing LW to trade for a LD while adding Hall. That, I'm all for.

If we don't get Lafreniere... these would be two great moves...

- Domi for Brodin with extension
- Hall for 7 years at $8M

We would have to unload Byron or Lehkonen (or both) and buy out Alzner for the 21/22 season. I think it is close to all fitting. And I'm not buying the cap being $81.5M for 21/22 either.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If we don't get Lafreniere... these would be two great moves...

- Domi for Brodin with extension
- Hall for 7 years at $8M

We would have to unload Byron or Lehkonen (or both) and buy out Alzner for the 21/22 season. I think it is close to all fitting. And I'm not buying the cap being $81.5M for 21/22 either.

The salary cap will most likely grow by a $1 million for the 21/22 season putting it at $82.5 million. The most it could be is $83.5 million.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The salary cap will most likely grow by a $1 million for the 21/22 season putting it at $82.5 million. The most it could be is $83.5 million.

All depends if fans are in the seats or not. Before Covid19, it was projected to be $84M - $88M range. If Covid 19 is not a problem in January as it is today and fans are in the seats... I expect the cap to be around $85 or $86M for 21/22. But if Covid-19 drags on into 2021... it's going to be messy

Covid 19 is like 6 months old and we got 6 months till January. A lot of bad or good can happen in that span. Very difficult to predict and the flat cap for 3 years idea is one of their protocols but not locked in place.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
All depends if fans are in the seats or not. Before Covid19, it was projected to be $84M - $88M range. If Covid 19 is not a problem in January as it is today and fans are in the seats... I expect the cap to be around $85 or $86M for 21/22. But if Covid-19 drags on into 2021... it's going to be messy

Covid 19 is like 6 months old and we got 6 months till January. A lot of bad or good can happen in that span. Very difficult to predict and the flat cap for 3 years idea is one of their protocols but not locked in place.

This is according to the CBA the NHL and NHLPA just signed.

It stays flat for 20/21 and then could go to $82.5 or $83.5 million in 21/22 depending on revenues.

The cap will remain at $81.5 million until hockey-related revenue surpasses $3.3 billion for the previous season. The salary cap won't rise more than $1 million until HRR reaches $4.8 billion unless the NHL and NHLPA mutually agree to inflate it in excess of $1 million.

Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond. As an example, the 2023-24 salary cap would be calculated using HRR results from 2021-22 and 2022-23.
The NHLPA ability to artificially inflate the salary cap as high as five percent is eliminated.

NHL salary cap to remain same next season

Last edited:
Reactions: VoladorJr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is according to the CBA the NHL and NHLPA just signed.

NHL salary cap to remain same next season

Next season will be 81.5M. The season after is the question mark. Like I said... Cap was projected to be $84M - $88M range before Covid 19 derailed everything. So if you take $86M x 31 teams x 2 (50/50 revenue split), you get $5.3B! Total revenue in 18/19 was $5.09B

If fans are in the seats next year... expect the cap to grow! Plus there will be a new US TV deal and from what I have been reading... it will go from $200M to $400-$600M range. Lets say it grows to $500M which is a $300M increase. That alone is about $5M for each team in cap space.

All they did was create protocol if Covid19 drags into next year. Nobody knows if it will or not yet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It won't though, unless HRR explodes.

It was $5.09B in 18/19 and was projected to be $5.3B before Covid19 for this past year. The cap is locked for 20/21. But mark my words... 21/22 is not set in stone and if fans are in the seats next season and you got a new US TV deal around $500M per year? It's going to grow more than most expect very quickly.

Here is a good question. Salary cap is a calculation of the previous season's revenue right? So if the new US TV deal kicks in for the 21/22 season... does that get added to that season or the season after?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Next season will be 81.5M. The season after is the question mark. Like I said... Cap was projected to be $84M - $88M range before Covid 19 derailed everything. So if you take $86M x 31 teams x 2 (50/50 revenue split), you get $5.3B! Total revenue in 18/19 was $5.09B

If fans are in the seats next year... expect the cap to grow! Plus there will be a new US TV deal and from what I have been reading... it will go from $200M to $400-$600M range. Lets say it grows to $500M which is a $300M increase. That alone is about $5M for each team in cap space.

All they did was create protocol if Covid19 drags into next year. Nobody knows if it will or not yet

If it reaches $5 billion it could increase by $2 million. Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond.

Escrow is also capped so that plays a big part too.

The CBA isn’t just about Covid protocol, it sets how the cap will be set for the next 5-6 years regardless of Covid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If it reaches $5 billion it could increase by $2 million. Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond.

Escrow is also capped so that plays a big part too.

The CBA isn’t just about Covid protocol, it sets how the cap will be set for the next 5-6 years regardless of Covid.

If fans are in the seats next year and they get an extra $300M from the new US TV deal... It can easily grow to $5.5B - $6B range. It was projected to be about $5.3B before Covid19 came this past year. Where is that possibility in the article you posted? If it grows substantially in a short period, the 50/50 revenue split kicks in like normal.

The new CBA numbers you posted is just insurance and something they negotiated in case revenue don't grow. It protects both the NHL and NHLPA

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If fans are in the seats next year and they get an extra $300M from the new US TV deal... It can easily grow to $5.5B - $6B range. It was projected to be about $5.3B before Covid19 came this past year. Where is that possibility in the article you posted?

The new CBA numbers you posted is just insurance and something they negotiated in case revenue don't grow. It protects both the NHL and NHLPA

And if it grows that much there is language in the CBA how the cap will be calculated. The formula would be based on the HRR from two seasons prior and the projected HRR from the prior season.

The CBA governs how the cap is set.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And if it grows that much there is language in the CBA how the cap will be calculated. The formula would be based on the HRR from two seasons prior and the projected HRR from the prior season.

The CBA governs how the cap is set.

At the end of the day.. all those little clauses are added as insurance cause Covid-19 derailed revenue. But I don't believe they changed the 50/50 revenue split did they? If the revenue grows substantially in a short period, they will put that into the formula where the owners get their share (back pay lets call it) and then they continue on with the 50/50 split?

$6B of revenue for the 21/22 season is not a far reach if fans are in the seats next year and Bettman does his thing and negotiates a monster US TV deal. Then Seattle brings in more revenue which grows the cap for 22/23

If Covid19 limits ticket revenue next year... that will be a problem and take longer to recoup the revenue (back pay for the owners to ensure they get 50/50 revenue one way or another). They lost about $1B in revenue this past season and are looking to recoup some of that loss in this playoffs. NHL ticket revenue represents about 75% of total revenue so if they have problems with fans in the seats for an entire season? Yeah, that will take a while to recoup those losses

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
At the end of the day.. all those little clauses are added as insurance cause Covid-19 derailed revenue. But I don't believe they changed the 50/50 revenue split did they? If the revenue grows substantially in a short period, they will put that into the formula where the owners get their share and then they continue on with the 50/50 split?

They haven’t changed the 50/50 split. But they did cap escrow year to year. So the players might be paying back the owners for quite some time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They haven’t changed the 50/50 split. But they did cap escrow year to year. So the players might be paying back the owners for quite some time.

True but all depends on if fans are in the seats next year or not. If they are... it's back to normal pretty quick and it will get bumped up substantially with the new US TV deal and extra revenue from Seattle.

If there are no fans in the seats next year... 100% it will take a bit to pay back the owners. I believe 75% of total revenue comes from tickets. It won't take long for the NHLPA to pile up I Owe U's lol.

I bet you Bettman has interest applied to the I Owe U's too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad