Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 49

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Doesnt mean he didnt have more value than what he got at the time of the trade.
Ya the difference between Subban and Weber even at that time is not why we suck. The trade was fine if we went for a run, but Stevie Wonder here envisioned adding Dwight King to push us over the top. And right now Weber looks lightyears ahead of Subban.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Ya the difference between Subban and Weber even at that time is not why we suck. The trade was fine if we went for a run, but Stevie Wonder here envisioned adding Dwight King to push us over the top. And right now Weber looks lightyears ahead of Subban.
Thats not the point of my post. Weber is a better player now and was likely equal or really similar. He was however four years older and Subban was coming off norris years, he had more value and he decided to swap them one for one, thats why he lost the tradr.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
you couldn't give away Domi in a package, nobody wants him or his giant skull. Rangers are rebuilding, no way they give away the #1 pick for that pile of junk you suggested.

I had no idea skull size was a trading criteria. :laugh:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Thats not the point of my post. Weber is a better player now and was likely equal or really similar. He was however four years older and Subban was coming off norris years, he had more value and he decided to swap them one for one, thats why he lost the tradr.
The point of your initial point was discrediting Bergevins trades by pointing out 3 bad ones(and the Subban trade wasn't bad, just atrocious planning and vision) while ignoring the ones were he flat out robbed the other team. 4 years older, but their similar impact did not last long after Subban fell off a cliff. Subban had like 2 more elite years after the trade while Weber was and is still great the whole time. This is coming from someone who was livid with the trade and Subban was my favorite NHL player for a long time.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So Weber was at least as good as PK and better now and Bergevin lost that trade? How do you reconcile that?? Because he’s older? Well better older and more effective than younger and become a has been, I say!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
So Weber was at least as good as PK and better now and Bergevin lost that trade? How do you reconcile that?? Because he’s older? Well better older and more effective than younger and become a has been, I say!
I don't think the trade is a win for us either, it's just not a loss. Would have been a win if Bergevin had any balls to pony up prospects, picks and young players to go on a run instead of gambling on 4th liners to carry us.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't think the trade is a win for us either, it's just not a loss. Would have been a win if Bergevin had any balls to pony up prospects, picks and young players to go on a run instead of gambling on 4th liners to carry us.

So it’s not a win to have Weber who’s not only a leader for the team but also leading the team in goals, points and shutting down the opposition? He’s the pillar of our D and team.

Would you trade him for PK straight up today? C’mon man. It’s a clear win.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
So it’s not a win to have Weber who’s not only a leader for the team but also leading the team in goals, points and shutting down the opposition? He’s the pillar of our D and team.

It’s a clear win. Weber is playing at a high level while PK is 9mil anchor who looks like 4/5/6 D. However, I do think it’s fair to question if it would have been a better move to trade PK for a C or someone younger. Who knows what was being offered then.

Right now, Weber>>>>PK and comes with intangibles that PK didn’t bring.

I think the only trade MB lost is the Drouin trade. Shaw, maybe.

I do think MB has been too conservative. Needs to make more moves like the Armia trade.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

The point of the trade was to go all in, Subban just broke down far sooner than one expected. We didn't go all in, we pissed around and got guys like Dwight King instead of real help.

Reactions: Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The point of the trade was to go all in, Subban just broke down far sooner than one expected. We didn't go all in, we pissed around and got guys like Dwight King instead of real help.
Agree with that but that doesn’t take away that Bergevin clearly won the PK/Weber trade regardless of the other ones.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Read my posts above, I already explained myself.
I read it but still do t see the justification that Bergevin clearly won the Weber trade. PK is barely NHL level defeceman at this point while Weber is the clear leader of the Habs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I read it but still do t see the justification that Bergevin clearly won the Weber trade. PK is barely NHL level defeceman at this point while Weber is the clear leader of the Habs.
Because you're using hindsight to justify the lost value on trade day. Subban had way more value than Weber on trade day and couldn't foresee the fall from grace that PK would have.

He got lucky, just like with his Danault trade, but in Danaults trade he at least didnt lose any value.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

We're still in the same spot since 2012 -- a supposed playoff team that is supposedly trying to build through the draft.

Reactions: Canadienna

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Because you're using hindsight to justify the lost value on trade day. Subban had way more value than Weber on trade day and couldn't foresee the fall from grace that PK would have.

He got lucky, just like with his Danault trade, but in Danaults trade he at least didnt lose any value.

You’re telling me I’m wrong in gauging who won a trade based on the fact I’m looking back at the trade to see who won. Do you see how crazy that sounds? When else are you supposed to judge a trade? At the time of the trade no one knows who “won” because no one knows what the outcome will be.
But, at the time of the trade Bergevin obviously thought he was making the best move for his team or he wouldn’t have made the trade which he was right, in hindsight and at the time. He clearly won that trade. Your mental gymnastics to try and justify how he “lost” the trade aren’t working.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Theres an assumption Subban had more value - reality likely was very few teams could swallow his AAV....

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
One could also look at trades as a way to fulfill a purpose. Making trades just to win the player trade accomplishes nothing.

Thats also why I have trouble with people who say that Bergy is good with trades. Hes good when you look at the trades in a nutshell only.

What is acquiring value from a player if it does nothing ?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We're still in the same spot since 2012 -- a supposed playoff team that is supposedly trying to build through the draft.
A transactional trade is different than team building. MB won the transactional trade by a country mile - as he has with almost every one..

MB as I posted elsewhere is a transactional GM - I.e an elite Assistant GM is what he really is vs team builder which is what a GM major role is

Reactions: Gains

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I know I am going to get a lot of hate on this trade proposal, but it will fix our scoring chances and our PP.

MONTREAL GETS
Patrick Laine

WINNIPEG GETS
Jonathan Drouin
Cale Fleury
1st round pick

Tomas Tatar - Nick Suzuki - Patrick Laine
Max Domi - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Brendan Gallagher
Paul Byron - Philip Danault - Joel Armia
Artturi Lehkonen - Jordan Weal - Alex Belizle

Ben Chiarot - Shea Weber
Brett Kulak - Jeff Petry
Victor Mete - Xavier Ouellet
I doubt you're gonna get any hate from Hab fans.

Reactions: Vachon23 and Gains

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You’re telling me I’m wrong in gauging who won a trade based on the fact I’m looking back at the trade to see who won. Do you see how crazy that sounds? When else are you supposed to judge a trade? At the time of the trade no one knows who “won” because no one knows what the outcome will be.
But, at the time of the trade Bergevin obviously thought he was making the best move for his team or he wouldn’t have made the trade which he was right, in hindsight and at the time. He clearly won that trade. Your mental gymnastics to try and justify how he “lost” the trade aren’t working.

It sounds crazy because your idea is already cemented and youre not trying to comprehend my narative.

You know when people used to challenge heliocentric views of the solar system, thats the reaction people had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad