Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
wait what :huh: thats terrible for the habs,we are not a Kopitar away from being contenders.

If we get Lafreneire, I would be very aggressive trying to find a center like Kopitar. You guys can drool over a rebuild all you want. I'm not ignoring the Price and Weber window 100% like most are.

1) Kotkaniemi and 2021 1st for Kopitiar (retention down to $7M)

2) Flip Domi for Brodin with extension

3) Sign Kovalchuk for one year to buy us time for Caufield. When Caufield is ready, move him to Drouin's spot and Drouin to Kovalchuk's spot.

Don't pretend you would not like this roster.

Lafreniere / Kopitar / Drouin
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Poehling / Evans / Byron

Lehkonen

Romanov / Weber
Brodin / Petry
Chiarot / Juulsen

Mete, Kulak

Price
Primeau

Caufield, Ylonen, Hillis, Fleury, Norlinder, Harris, Struble.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Domi for Brodin with extension makes the most sense

Still haven’t seen a good reason why Brodin would sign an extension with the Habs (unless they overpay him) instead of hitting free agency next season. In this current climate it would be smart for a player to let next season play out before signing a long term extension.

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
If we get Lafreneire, I would be very aggressive trying to find a center like Kopitar. You guys can drool over a rebuild all you want. I'm not ignoring the Price and Weber window 100% like most are.
i dont think MB is worried about the Weber/Price window,he looks more focused on the future

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
i dont think MB is worried about the Weber/Price window,he looks more focused on the future

Bergevin is not doing a 100% rebuild. He is focused on the future but that's not the only thing he is looking at.

Added more parts to the last post... you telling me you would not like that roster for the 20/21 season? Not saying we can pull off all those moves for sure but turning them down and letting the Price/Weber window pass by because we are drooling over a rebuild is dumb

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still haven’t seen a good reason why Brodin would sign an extension with the Habs (unless they overpay him) instead of hitting free agency next season. In this current climate it would be smart for a player to let next season play out before signing a long term extension.

Well, you can find that out pretty quick

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Find what out? Why Brodin would sign an extension with the Habs?

Yes, you don't make the trade until you talk to him on the extension. If he says no, you keep Domi.

Who the hell knows if he would sign or not. We don't have those answers as fans. All I am saying is I would make that deal if Brodin would sign for 5 or 6 years at $6M ish. If not, you don't make the deal. Pretty simple

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
At this stage, It won't be the 9th pick cause the idea has changed to getting Lafreniere and we trade the 2021. Regardless, I think you still don't do it eh? I would and remember, it's Kopitar for 4 years at $7M... I'm not taking that whole contract.

Wait, are you talking about actual salary, or thinking you'll get a 3mil rebate on the cap, because the former is trivial to the habs, I was clearly talking about his cap hit and the latter seems un likely. Maybe 1-2 mil, but not 3 and in any case my point remains, it will shackle us for a player nearing his twilight. It's one of your worst ideas. Better stick with the Brodin hopes.

I'm not ignoring our vets and I do think Lafreniere would need a center like Kopitar. If not Kopitar, someone like that. I think the Kings do head into rebuild years and Kopitar will be open to going somewhere else.

Pretty sure the Bruins and Pens are fine with the ages of Bergeron, Crosby, Malkin. Kopitar from 33-36 fits the Weber and Price window and we would have a shit load of youth even after acquiring Kopitar. Waiting for our vets to retire and thinking the core behind them will win a cup eh? Possible but it's also possible we are stuck in the middle of the pack for decades. I understand your concerns with trading Kotkaniemi and a 1st but no way I would ignore Price and Weber cause we have Suzuki and Lafreniere. I like the idea of vets with youth.

I think you're mistaking this for a small risk.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

1) Kotkaniemi and 2021 1st for Kopitiar (retention down to $7M)

2) Flip Domi for Brodin with extension

3) Sign Kovalchuk for one year to buy us time for Caufield. When Caufield is ready, move him to Drouin's spot and Drouin to Kovalchuk's spot.

Don't pretend you would not like this roster.

Lafreniere / Kopitar / Drouin
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Poehling / Evans / Byron

Lehkonen

Romanov / Weber
Brodin / Petry
Chiarot / Juulsen

Mete, Kulak

Price
Primeau

Caufield, Ylonen, Hillis, Fleury, Norlinder, Harris, Struble.

There is no Weber window available, the guy is already not a top-line D. We would need Doughty a lot more than Kopitar.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wait, are you talking about actual salary, or thinking you'll get a 3mil rebate on the cap, because the former is trivial to the habs, I was clearly talking about his cap hit and the latter seems un likely. Maybe 1-2 mil, but not 3 and in any case my point remains, it will shackle us for a player nearing his twilight. It's one of your worst ideas. Better stick with the Brodin hopes.

I think you're mistaking this for a small risk.

Yes, I would dangle Kotkaniemi and the 2021 1st for Kopitair but with retension down to $7M. Fully aware it might not work and I have said that so you guys got to stop that BS where you present this narrative that I think they take the deal for sure and Kopitar waives his NMC. The idea is if you get Lafreniere, you try to get a proven center like Kopitar and I would be very aggressive

Domi for Brodin with extension is just another idea. Who knows, Wild might not want Domi at all.

Small Risk? It's equal risk to let Price and Weber's window run by thinking that we are not going to be a middle of the pack team still after they are gone. I like a strong prospect pool but I would use parts of it to make the team a cup contender in the 4 year window. Frig yeah, I would do that if we got Lafreniere.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no Weber window available, the guy is already not a top-line D. We would need Doughty a lot more than Kopitar.

Weber not a top line D anymore? :laugh:. You don't like this D below? Pretty sure Weber can do what Giordano has done and you are going to have to wait longer to prove the "Weber is in decline". Some of you been waiting for like 3 or 4 years now. Weber's 30+ stats are on par with his career stats and there is zero evidence you can show me that proves he is in decline. He did have foot and knee surgery though. You going to use that?

Romanov / Weber
Brodin / Petry
Chiarot / Juulsen

Reactions: Jpageman

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes, I would dangle Kotkaniemi and the 2021 1st for Kopitair but with retension down to $7M. Fully aware it might not work and I have said that so you guys got to stop that BS. The idea is if you get Lafreniere, you try to get a proven center like Kopitar and I would be very aggressive

Domi for Brodin with extension is just another idea. Who knows, Wild might not want Domi at all.

Small Risk? It's equal risk to let Price and Weber's window run by think that we are not going to be a middle of the pack team still after they are gone. I like a strong prospect pool but I would use parts of it to make the team a cup contender in the 4 year window. Frig yeah, I would do that.

That's where we differ, as I think the window with Weber is closing fast, already closing as he is not as dominant as he used to be for long stretches. Price still hasnt shown signs he can get back to elite level and the defense is shoddy at best.

Like nightman said, we have to pray for Price to give up and ask for a trade, otherwise we're setting us up to shoot ourselves in the foot, by making desperate trades to prop-up a feeble contender.

You get Laf, you build for the future, you let him evolve with KK.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

The irony of that statement is that Weber just had a better season than Doughty. The latter also has been on a downward trend over the last couple of years as opposed to Weber, who has maintained a high level of play in spite of injuries.

Not that I disagree with the idea that we don’t have a contending window with Price and Weber. But if Weber is ‘’not a top-line D’’, neither is Doughty at this point.

The bottomline I think is that it’d be foolish to go after someone on the back nine of their careers at this point in time. Not in a trade, anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's where we differ, as I think the window with Weber is closing fast, already closing as he is not as dominant as he used to be for long stretches. Price still hasnt shown signs he can get back to elite level and the defense is shoddy at best.

Like nightman said, we have to pray for Price to give up and ask for a trade, otherwise we're setting us up to shoot ourselves in the foot, by making desperate trades to prop-up a feeble contender.

You get Laf, you build for the future, you let him evolve with KK.

The time to move on from Weber and Price is after 3 more years. If we get Lafreniere, mark my words... The narrative will be, we need a proven center for him to play with. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi can't shelter him at this stage. Hope we get Lafreniere and I think it will be a interesting conversation after one season. Bookmark this idea of if we get Lafreniere, we need a center like Kopitar.

Fully aware of the risks of trading Kotkaniemi but I doubt he turns into a Kopitar or Barkov and I'm a fan of Kotkaniemi.

Guys like Weber and Price don't come around very often. You don't ignore that even if they are in their 30's. Some Habs fans been saying Weber will show signs of decline for 3 or 4 years now and we are still waiting. I think Weber will be fine from 35-37. He game is not build on skating and he is in good shape and not a bum like Big Buff

Last edited:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The guy can never win. The truth is that he doesnt so guys here complain. If he did those same guys would complain about all the assets MB gave up.

This forums is a complainers paradise.......

that’s just a reflection of how poorly the team is built. The GM’s track record over the last few seasons speaks for itself.

if the team was decent, discussions here would be about relatively minor changes the team could make. “They could use a right shot center on the fourth line; a winger with size for the 3rd line to complement the skill guys; a better backup goalie would be nice.” ... and so on.

instead, they have 2 or 3 major holes to fill, the President meddles, and isn’t a hockey guy, their drafting and development is poor.

It’s no wonder folks are complaining.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Again Eichel

Domi KK Primeau 1st for Eichel Hutton

Would be nice to keep our 1st to draft Askarov but i dont know how (3 2nd instead)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The irony of that statement is that Weber just had a better season than Doughty. The latter also has been on a downward trend over the last couple of years as opposed to Weber, who has maintained a high level of play in spite of injuries.

Not that I disagree with the idea that we don’t have a contending window with Price and Weber. But if Weber is ‘’not a top-line D’’, neither is Doughty at this point.

The bottomline I think is that it’d be foolish to go after someone on the back nine of their careers at this point in time. Not in a trade, anyway.

"Better season than Doughty" in the sense that the habs are not completely dysfunctional? I mean the King's season was awful overall. I don't subscribe to Doughty/Kopitar being on the decline yet, the supporting cast in LA is failing completely and that obviously is affecting their core players.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The time to move on from Weber and Price is after 3 more years. If we get Lafreniere, mark my words... The narrative will be, we need a proven center for him to play with. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi can't shelter him at this stage.

Fully aware of the risks of trading Kotkaniemi but I doubt he turns into a Kopitar or Barkov and I'm a fan of Kotkaniemi.

Hope we get Lafreniere and I think it will be a interesting conversation after one season. Bookmark this idea of if we get Lafreniere, we need a center like Kopitar.

Guys like Weber and Price don't come around very often. You don't ignore that even if they are in their 30's.

That's your assesment.

You might be in for a surprise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"Better season than Doughty" in the sense that the habs are not completely dysfunctional? I mean the King's season was awful overall. I don't subscribe to Doughty/Kopitar being on the decline yet, the supporting cast in LA is failing completely and that obviously is affecting their core players.

Habs season was pretty bad too bud. We only had 7 more points than them. Just face it, you don't have any evidence that Weber is in decline and not a top pairing D anymore. It's 2020, not 2016 anymore bud. Weber is a beast and show some respect

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From experience, getting Kopitar is more likely to screw us than otherwise.

It's a much bigger risk than anything else and really not the way we should go.

Also, I'll repeat, you won't be getting 3 mil off Kopitar for 4 seasons. It's wishful thinking.

So I gave up way too much value and I still can't get $3M of retention? :sarcasm: ;) :facepalm:

I think it's risky to let Price and Weber's window run by (especially if we get Lafreniere) thinking that the core after them will be cup contenders when we likely are stuck in the middle of the pack or like the Sabres with Eichel and Dahlin

If those moves are available (Kopitar, Brodin, Kovalcuk), I would be very very happy with that cup contending roster for several years (roster posted in earlier thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad