DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does Suzuki need to be protected?

Nope, Suzuki is exempt. Anybody who turned pro to start the 18/19 season has to be protected. Kotkaniemi and Fleury need to be protected and not sure with Poehling. I believe he is exempt like Keller was in 2017. Not 100% sure though. Keller signed his contract when he was 18 and Poehling signed his when he was 20

Nylander turned pro back when but was exempt. I think the rules are age (when you turn 19 vs 20.. birth date matters) and if you have played the 40 game threshold. The 10 NHL games burns your ELC but I do believe the pro seasons are tied to the 40 NHL games or when you turn 20.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Reactions: DAChampion

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why do we protect UFA like Tatar, Gallagher, Armia, Danault?

We can protect other players and sign them after? (same apply to Petry)
If you can have an agreement in place with them and just not sign them than sure. I’m not sure if that’s allowed by the league or if they still can be drafted by Seattle even as UFAs and can try to keep them though. So someone like Gallagher who’s from BC might just say f-it and sign there.

Point is there’s a chance you’d lose them and that may not be an option Habs wish to entertain.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If you can have an agreement in place with them and just not sign them than sure. I’m not sure if that’s allowed by the league or if they still can be drafted by Seattle even as UFAs and can try to keep them though. So someone like Gallagher who’s from BC might just say f-it and sign there.

Point is there’s a chance you’d lose them and that may not be an option Habs wish to entertain.

Seattle would have a 48 hour window to try and negotiate something with them.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Seattle would have a 48 hour window to try and negotiate something with them.

It doesn't take 48 hours to tell Gallagher they'll give him $8.5M per and want his as their captain and center piece of the franchise and move much closer to home and his family. Then imagine he takes it and how bad Bergevin would look all because he tried to game the system. I'm just saying there's a risk, no matter how small of losing a premium asset for absolutely nothing to keep a bottom 6 player like Armia or Byron.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Reactions: angry pirate

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It doesn't take 48 hours to tell Gallagher they'll give him $8.5M per and want his as their captain and center piece of the franchise and move much closer to home and his family. Then imagine he takes it and how bad Bergevin would look all because he tried to game the system. I'm just saying there's a risk, no matter how small of losing a premium asset for absolutely nothing to keep a bottom 6 player like Armia or Byron.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

I agree with you. Just sign and protect your players.

Also don’t try and make deals. Just be open to the fact you’ll lose one of Armia, Byron, Chiarot or Fleury.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Protection list is mid june. Seattle will chose their team around the 20th of june.

He can negociate with them and have the deal done but not signed.

If the next season starts in January, all those dates will be modified/revised.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Also don’t try and make deals. Just be open to the fact you’ll lose one of Armia, Byron, Chiarot or Fleury.
The reason Vegas did so damn well at the expansion draft was due to all the side deals of accumulating extra picks from teams to ensure they didn't take particular players, who in turn, became dominate for Vegas anyways in addition to all the extra picks they got. Doubt we see that again as GMs won't be so keen to give assets to not take players this time around.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The reason Vegas did so damn well at the expansion draft was due to all the side deals of accumulating extra picks from teams to ensure they didn't take particular players, who in turn, became dominate for Vegas anyways in addition to all the extra picks they got. Doubt we see that again as GMs won't be so keen to give assets to not take players this time around.

I believe the NHL is also going to make a rule, or something so they cant.

Vegas also took on terrible contracts, too.

Took William Karlsson, took on Clarkson and got a 1st (13th, Suzuki) and a 2nd(later traded to Montreal).

Even if Karlsson was a 20 goal scorer that's a sweet return.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe the NHL is also going to make a rule, or something so they cant.

Vegas also took on terrible contracts, too.

Took William Karlsson, took on Clarkson and got a 1st (13th, Suzuki) and a 2nd(later traded to Montreal).

Even if Karlsson was a 20 goal scorer that's a sweet return.

Where would the Knights be without Fleury? They certainly built a solid fast skating team with some size but getting a star goalie like Fleury?

Also, I doubt the NHL changes one thing to the expansion draft. They are charging Seattle a ton of money and even more than Vegas to enter the league. Entering the league with a solid roster is part of the sales pitch price tag IMO. When it comes to business, Bettman is among the best in sports

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fleury 91-50-14 (.632%)
Others 42-30-8 (.575%)

Fleury to me is the edge that takes them from mid pack to top 10 and potential deep playoff runs. This is why the Habs need to fix our team D first. We can't hold leads in the 3rd period. Lack of physical strength along the boards, immature centers, and puck management in our zone exit.

Honestly, Julien is not the right coach for us. I don't hate him as a coach but he's done nothing that tells me he is better than Therrien and that's a problem. At least Therrien has our team D in better shape

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Fleury to me is the edge that takes them from mid pack to top 10 and potential deep playoff runs. This is why the Habs need to fix our team D first. We can't hold leads in the 3rd period. Lack of physical strength along the boards, immature centers, and puck management in our zone exit.

Honestly, Julien is not the right coach for us. I don't hate him as a coach but he's done nothing that tells me he is better than Therrien and that's a problem. At least Therrien has our team D in better shape

Julien has been a worse coach than Therrien, period -- And I'm really not a Therrien coach either. Both were/are dinosaurs but one could adjust on the fly while the other couldn't.

On the human level, Julien is a nicer guy but, as a coach...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Julien has been a worse coach than Therrien, period -- And I'm really not a Therrien coach either. Both were/are dinosaurs but one could adjust on the fly while the other couldn't.

On the human level, Julien is a nicer guy but, as a coach...

Agreed. Just posted some real cold hard evidence that supports what you just said on the Julien thread.

Reactions: DarkSender

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval

Just make sure to not trade/lose half of your defense and think its going to be better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad