Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Seen him play plenty of times. He skates well for a guy that is 6'5 260+ pounds, but in a vacuum, no, players that size are not good skaters. Also the fact that he gives a half-assed effort a lot of times doesn't help.

He skates as well as Petry does.

Though that half-ass effort is bang on.

He would be much more valuable to the habs and possibly the league as a forward

Reactions: le_sean

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
He plays center. Check.
He’s scored 70 + points. Check
Is he not a 70 point center?

Is he a 70 point centre going forward? He was on pace for 51 points this season.

Also is he a centre on the Habs in the future with Danault, Suzuki, and Kotkaniemi there?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Is he a 70 point centre going forward? He was on pace for 51 points this season.

Also is he a centre on the Habs in the future with Danault, Suzuki, and Kotkaniemi there?

Well, he’s 25 and has already done it on a bad team. So it’s not IF he could. He has. Whether or not he will or won’t is a guess at best. The fact he’s still young and entering his prime, there’s more of an argument for him being able to repeat it in the future than not. He’s proven he can already. How many 72 point seasons does the 7th OA have under his belt?

As for if he’s the center of the future, it looks like he’ll be in a battle for a top 2 role with Suzuki and KK as Danault is best suited time a 3rd line role IMO. I truly hope both can beat him out but they haven’t already and Domi is money in the bank. Until KK and Suzuki can usurp him, he’s a top 2 center now.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I would seriously consider Domi for 7th OA and I love Domi.
I look at the overall value of not just the 1 for 1 trade but the excess cap room to royally poach another team.
Many teams are in serious doo doo with the current cap situation and you add another 5-6 million is cap room with that trade.
Now if someone was dumb enough to give us a high pick for Drouin then even better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would seriously consider Domi for 7th OA and I love Domi.
I look at the overall value of not just the 1 for 1 trade but the excess cap room to royally poach another team.
Many teams are in serious doo doo with the current cap situation and you add another 5-6 million is cap room with that trade.
Now if someone was dumb enough to give us a high pick for Drouin then even better.

Domi > 7th OA. The only way to make that work for me is each team adds and Sabres add more than we do. Looked into what they have in the pipeline and don't think I can find an offer that works for both sides.

No way I would trade Domi for the 7th OA dart. Sabres would have to give me a 2021 2nd to make me think about it.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Domi > 7th OA. The only way to make that work for me is each team adds and Sabres add more than we do. Looked into what they have in the pipeline and don't think I can find an offer that works for both sides.

No way I would trade Domi for the 7th OA dart. Sabres would have to give me a 2021 2nd to make me think about it.

Or make it part of a bigger package. If the Sabres really want to clean house and lower the cap to save money for the next few years, there may be a bigger play available. If we're talking about 1st, Domi etc. how far are we from putting a package for Eichel. Eichel for Domi + 1st/Caufield and roster player or something based around that for a deal. Habs have assets and cap to trade for Eichel which not a lot of teams can say. If there was an appetite from both, they could certainly make it happen and Buffalo and Habs have been trading partners before.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Well, he’s 25 and has already done it on a bad team. So it’s not IF he could. He has. Whether or not he will or won’t is a guess at beat. The fact he’s still young and entering his prime, there’s more of an argument for him being able to repeat it in the future. He’s proven he can already. How many 72 point seasons does the 7thOA have under his belt?

As for if he’s the center of the future, it looks like he’ll be in a battle for a top 2 role with Suzuki and KK as Danault is best suited time a 3rd line role IMO. I truly hope both can beat him out but they haven’t already and Domi is money in the bank. Until KK and Suzuki can usurp him, he’s a top 2 center now.

Under Julien, he lost that role to Suzuki this season. Everyone's whipping boy, Drouin, getting injured may well have lead to that as both had good chemistry playing together and might have kept Domi producing like the season before had they played together more than they did.

In fact, 2nd and 3rd line, for the Habs, under Julien, with a healthy lineup, is rather fluid.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher would get the bulk of the minutes in a shut down role against the best opponents. While Danault is not a true #1C, this deployment is justifiable because this line, over the last couple of years, has been a top-5 line at even strength in terms of positive goal differentials. They can shut down opponents and still score points

??? -Suzuki - ???
Drouin - Domi - ???

or

Drouin - Domi - ???
??? - Suzuki - ???

could go evenly in terms of ice time. Ideally, you'd have quality line mates for Suzuki and use him against the better offensive players our opponents would throw at us when Danrult's line is not on the ice. That way, the less defensive tandem of Drouin-Domi could be used as an exploitation line against the opponents' weaker opposition.

That just leaves absolutely no room for KK at C.

That's why I would make a kids line comprised of three Cs for next season and keep Domi at C.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki
Drouin - Domi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

OR

Drouin - Domi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

Eventually, Byron would get replaced by the cheaper Ylonen who also brings extreme speed and scoring ability. He may be less fearless the Byron but, also has some defensive aptitudes.

Any way you slice it, though, once Caufield joins the team, someone needs to be moved. Getting a good return for Domi would free up a C spot for Suzuki and this seems the most likely move but, personally, moving Danault at the trade deadline next year might be the better option going forward, with suzuki likely closest to being able to play the same role between Tatar and Gallagher, who would be re-signed.

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Armia
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Lehkonen - Evans - Ylonen

Caufield would not have as much pressure playing with two younger players and having two Cs with size who are also playmakers would maximize the scoring potential of the diminutive RW who likes to gravitate towards the LW in the offensive zone. Poehling, as a natural C, can more easily adapt to the permutations this would bring about.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Well, he’s 25 and has already done it on a bad team. So it’s not IF he could. He has. Whether or not he will or won’t is a guess at best. The fact he’s still young and entering his prime, there’s more of an argument for him being able to repeat it in the future than not. He’s proven he can already. How many 72 point seasons does the 7th OA have under his belt?

What is he though. Is he a 50 point centre or a 70 point going forward? He’s proven this season he can have a season where he can put up only 50 or so points in a full season. As for entering his prime he did that 2 years ago. I think he’s in the early to middle of his prime years.

As for the draft pick not having a 70 point season, neither so does Laf or Stützle or Byfield but I’d trade Domi in a heartbeat for those players. The question is do you trade him for a Raymond, Holtz type player.

With reports that the cap could be flat for the next two seasons (with the ongoing CBA extension talks) it also frees up space to resign Tatar, Gallagher, Petry.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Or make it part of a bigger package. If the Sabres really want to clean house and lower the cap to save money for the next few years, there may be a bigger play available. If we're talking about 1st, Domi etc. how far are we from putting a package for Eichel. Eichel for Domi + 1st/Caufield and roster player or something based around that for a deal. Habs have assets and cap to trade for Eichel which not a lot of teams can say. If there was an appetite from both, they could certainly make it happen and Buffalo and Habs have been trading partners before.

It's certainly not impossible -- if Montreal is willing to gut it's team of young talent and picks -- to offer enough for Eichel in a trade but, IMO, the management purge in BUF has a lot to do with Eichel stating he is tired of losing and ownership still sees him as a centrepiece around which to build a contender.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Under Julien, he lost that role to Suzuki this season. Everyone's whipping boy, Drouin, getting injured may well have lead to that as both had good chemistry playing together and might have kept Domi producing like the season before had they played together more than they did.

In fact, 2nd and 3rd line, for the Habs, under Julien, with a healthy lineup, is rather fluid.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher would get the bulk of the minutes in a shut down role against the best opponents. While Danault is not a true #1C, this deployment is justifiable because this line, over the last couple of years, has been a top-5 line at even strength in terms of positive goal differentials. They can shut down opponents and still score points

??? -Suzuki - ???
Drouin - Domi - ???

or

Drouin - Domi - ???
??? - Suzuki - ???

could go evenly in terms of ice time. Ideally, you'd have quality line mates for Suzuki and use him against the better offensive players our opponents would throw at us when Danrult's line is not on the ice. That way, the less defensive tandem of Drouin-Domi could be used as an exploitation line against the opponents' weaker opposition.

That just leaves absolutely no room for KK at C.

That's why I would make a kids line comprised of three Cs for next season and keep Domi at C.

Drouin - Domi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

OR

Drouin - Domi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

Eventually, Byron would get replaced by the cheaper Ylonen who also brings extreme speed and scoring ability. He may be less fearless the Byron but, also has some defensive aptitudes.

Any way you slice it, though, once Caufield joins the team, someone needs to be moved. Getting a good return for Domi would free up a C spot for Suzuki and this seems the most likely move but, personally, moving Danault at the trade deadline next year might be the better option going forward, with suzuki likely closest to being able to play the same role between Tatar and Gallagher, who would be re-signed.

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Armia
Poehling - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Lehkonen - Evans - Ylonen

Caufield would not have as much pressure playing with two younger players and having two Cs with size who are also playmakers would maximize the scoring potential of the diminutive RW who likes to gravitate towards the LW in the offensive zone. Poehling, as a natural C, can more easily adapt to the permutations this would bring about.

I think these lineup possibilities are always fun and I like to do them too. I think we have to remind ourselves and by looking at lineups from the past, that they're almost always wrong. A lot of things can happen and it's fluid but IF all our centers pan out, there's no doubt we'll either have to move some out or move them to wing. That being said, I've never seen all our prospects develop into full fledged contributing NHLers and I don't want to guess who won't make it so I am always preface my posts with "right now." Until such time as KK, Zuki push Domi out, he's been far better at center than on the wing and the numbers show it. So yes he played on Suzuki's wing but his production fell off a cliff too. Maybe if they all keep showing promise and progressing to where we hope they'll be, we can see them all at center as we'll have to start trading players soon enough as their contracts go up and space is limited.

Tatar KK Gally
Drouin Domi <-> Suzuki (switch out for face offs but Domi plays mostly center)
Lehkonen Danault Armia
Poehling Evans Vejdemo

Eventually as contracts get higher, you move out a Tatar or Danault and move to:

Drouin KK Caufield
Poehling Domi/Suzuki Gally
Lehkonen Domi/Suzuki Ylonen

But you can see, there are a million combinations and in an ideal world, they all look great!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those of you who would trade Domi for the 7th OA... Remember Stepan and Raanta for 7th OA and DeAngelo?

Who did the Rangers take at 7th? Andersson. Deep draft yes it appears but draft picks can bust or disappoint. Considering the idea of trading Domi for an unknown NHL asset hoping you hit big time is very risky.

Domi > 7th OA.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Those of you who would trade Domi for the 7th OA... Remember Stepan and Raanta for 7th OA and DeAngelo?

Who did the Rangers take at 7th? Andersson. Deep draft yes it appears but draft picks can bust or disappoint. Considering the idea of trading Domi for an unknown NHL asset hoping you hit big time is very risky.

Domi > 7th OA.

The issue is Suzuki performance last year.

Danault Suzuki KK Domi

Quinn Hugues was 7th overall. Draft are a gamble I agree

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-6-19_14-47-41.png

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think these lineup possibilities are always fun and I like to do them too. I think we have to remind ourselves and by looking at lineups from the past, that they're almost always wrong. A lot of things can happen and it's fluid but IF all our centers pan out, there's no doubt we'll either have to move some out or move them to wing. That being said, I've never seen all our prospects develop into full fledged contributing NHLers and I don't want to guess who won't make it so I am always preface my posts with "right now." Until such time as KK, Zuki push Domi out, he's been far better at center than on the wing and the numbers show it. So yes he played on Suzuki's wing but his production fell off a cliff too. Maybe if they all keep showing promise and progressing to where we hope they'll be, we can see them all at center as we'll have to start trading players soon enough as their contracts go up and space is limited.

Tatar KK Gally
Lehkonen Danault Armia
Poehling Evans Vejdemo

Eventually as contracts get higher, you move out a Tatar or Danault and move to:

Drouin KK Caufield

But you can see, there are a million combinations and in an ideal world, they all look great!

I don't mind:

Tatar KK Gally

Lehkonen Danault Armia
Poehling Evans Vejdemo

but, after the 1st two lines, the offensive production falls off a cliff, IMO, and Montreal doesn't have the elite offensive players on their first two lines to warrant such a drop off.

That's why I think you get more offense out of:

Drouin - Domi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

I also think that:

Drouin KK Caufield

is a balanced, if unspectacular, top-9. With a a more solid D, it could be a top-3rd lineup in the league but, nit a gimme contender, for sure.

In whichever scenario envisaged, it looks like Poehling gets shoved to LW down the line. He brings size that we lack on the wing and has good vision to be an eventual mid-6 winger.

Ylonen is a bit of a mystery to me but, he's defensively sound (which should buy him long enough looks) and is an excellent skater with a solid wrist shot. He could really surprise if he can ut all that together and build confidence doing it.

Once again, though, I suspect Julien isn't the best coach for that t happen.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What is he though. Is he a 50 point centre or a 70 point going forward? He’s proven this season he can have a season where he can put up only 50 or so points in a full season. As for entering his prime he did that 2 years ago. I think he’s in the early to middle of his prime years.

As for the draft pick not having a 70 point season, neither so does Laf or Stützle or Byfield but I’d trade Domi in a heartbeat for those players. The question is do you trade him for a Raymond, Holtz type player.

With reports that the cap could be flat for the next two seasons (with the ongoing CBA extension talks) it also frees up space to resign Tatar, Gallagher, Petry.
Well we’re not going to get a top 3 pick and the other names you mentioned might be available to us at 8, which brings me back to the proven vs potential argument and how much that could piss off someone like Price and Weber who has already vocalized the abundance of prospects and lack of talent in the roster. Trading Domi for a pick is a great way to get Price to ask for a trade now.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's certainly not impossible -- if Montreal is willing to gut it's team of young talent and picks -- to offer enough for Eichel in a trade but, IMO, the management purge in BUF has a lot to do with Eichel stating he is tired of losing and ownership still sees him as a centrepiece around which to build a contender.
Agreed on Buffalo wanting Eichel to stay. There just been rumours of cost cuttings and not being a cap team. If that were to happen, I can see Eichel having enough and asking to be traded.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't mind:

Tatar KK Gally

Lehkonen Danault Armia
Poehling Evans Vejdemo

but, after the 1st two lines, the offensive production falls off a cliff, IMO, and Montreal doesn't have the elite offensive players on their first two lines to warrant such a drop off.

That's why I think you get more offense out of:

Drouin - Domi - Armia
Lehkonen - Evans - Byron

I also think that:

Drouin KK Caufield

is a balanced, if unspectacular, top-9. With a a more solid D, it could be a top-3rd lineup in the league but, nit a gimme contender, for sure.

In whichever scenario envisaged, it looks like Poehling gets shoved to LW down the line. He brings size that we lack on the wing and has good vision to be an eventual mid-6 winger.

Ylonen is a bit of a mystery to me but, he's defensively sound (which should buy him long enough looks) and is an excellent skater with a solid wrist shot. He could really surprise if he can ut all that together and build confidence doing it.

Once again, though, I suspect Julien isn't the best coach for that t happen.
With this lineup, we also have almost $10M in cap space. So ideally we’d fill that space with an elite forward and LD which would cause a trickle down of talent into the lower lines. As is, we have two second lines and two 3.5 lines. Injection of talent is sorely needed and you can especially see it when you try to make line combos.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Drouin was only traded for a somewhat unproven prospect cause they had cap trouble and expansion draft issues. They got the perfect return cause Sergachev played a few NHL games already and there was less risks than a Holtz/Perfetti type who have not played 1 NHL game. Yzerman was even still a bit concerned and got the conditional 2nd remember.

Drouin was traded because he quit on his team and our GM was so horny to get a French Canadian “star” - giving away our best prospect at our position of greatest need to get him! Yzerman happens to be about 400 percent better of a GM and played Mr 24 like a fiddle. Don’t try to rewrite history to make it suit your narrative.

Reactions: habsfan891

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Drouin was traded because he quit on his team and our GM was so horny to get a French Canadian “star” - giving away our best prospect at our position of greatest need to get him! Yzerman happens to be about 400 percent better of a GM and played Mr 24 like a fiddle. Don’t try to rewrite history to make it suit your narrative.
At the time our greatest need was a centre. They thought Drouin could fill in at centre but it didn't work out. In retrospect it was a bad move but Drouin was still a 3rd OA pick that was considered a top line forward prospect at the time.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
At the time our greatest need was a centre. They thought Drouin could fill in at centre but it didn't work out. In retrospect it was a bad move but Drouin was still a 3rd OA pick that was considered a top line forward prospect at the time.
At the time we already had a winger that had been converted to center. We didn’t need another. Drouin hadn’t played center at the NHL level or even the pro level really.

Bargain Bin’s quote says it all - “Plus, he's a kid from here, so for me it was a decision I had to make.”

No sense rehashing it all again, but to me, it’s obvious what the main focus of the deal was, and I think it costs us in the long (and short!) term.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

A center who scored 28 goals and 72 points absolutely belongs ahead of Danault "Career High 13 goals".

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
A center who scored 28 goals and 72 points absolutely belongs ahead of Danault "Career High 13 goals".
I know the Danault line is our best but couldn’t it be better with a more skilled center? I mean why don’t they even try putting Domi, Suzuki or KK on it and give it a go?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
it's insane the number of posters so eager and willing to move Domi. We finally have a C who scores as many points as plekanec a decade ago, has a down year (like most of the team) and let's deal him!
He sucked because drouin was also bad/injured and he lost shaw, who was a perfect compliment to his style. His jam allows him to move to the wing, where we have very little grit (he already stated he doesn't need to end up at C, though he prefers it) and he loves playing in a hockey market. I see no upside to moving him. I'd prefer to move drouin, tatar, etc before ever considering a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad