Proposal: Trade proposal part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Toronto will remain unbalanced unless they add some good D, and they are in cap hell so will need to unload some high salaries. The team was playing well without Nylander, adding a D is more important to them than adding Will. And again because of their cap space, it might be tough to re-sign Gardiner to a good contract, and Petry's may look better while being a little bit better player at the same time. But Petry is WAY better than the Marlie that will get promoted after Toronto loses Gardiner for nothing, or for a pure rental return.

They said no for Pietrangelo.. don't think they will take Petry

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Petry, Mete and Lehkonen to Toronto for Gardiner (must extend with us, pay the man his value) and Nylander.

Toronto gets cap relief, and balances their team lineup better, trading from strength to get an excellent Dman, and Montreal uses its cap space to acquire talent that is still young enough to contribute for years.
I feel like if Toronto wanted a defensemen, and were dangling Nylander as bait they could do far better than Petry.

They would be looking at someone of Fowler's ilk

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Not saying Petry is not good but Pietrangelo is Elite
Obviously Piet is way better but just taking into account the last year and a half, Petry is getting close to “elite”. That’s if you just look at stats though. He can fill in as a 1D if needed in a pinch.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I have an issue getting a vet that has already won 3 Cups. He has zero reason to push himself for anything other than a comfortable retirement.

That wouldn't be my concern at all

I would be concerned that hes signed until he's 39 and while he's still very good, he's not the defenceman he was in Cup runs either. He'd obviously be our top pair LHD right now and a very good one, but what does he look like in 3 years when Kotkaniemi is on his second contract, Suzuki needs a new deal, Domi has already gotten a raise, etc.... It could be a cap anchor

I'm fine with it if they take Alzner back as part of the move

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I would be concerned that hes signed until he's 39 and while he's still very good, he's not the defenceman he was in Cup runs either. He'd obviously be our top pair LHD right now and a very good one, but what does he look like in 3 years when Kotkaniemi is on his second contract, Suzuki needs a new deal, Domi has already gotten a raise, etc.... It could be a cap anchor

Mete, Alzner ($1M retained), Ylonen for Duncan Keith and a 5th rounder.

malton

Feb 17, 2009

5.5 cap hit. In a few years with the gradual increase it shouldn't be an issue for us.

Reactions: jaffy27

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Keith is someone I would trade for if we had a top 4 team and going all in the next couple of seasons, but it's not the case. Let's not waste assets on him.

After a few seasons with poor results, the Hawks made the SF in Patrick Kane's second season, and his third season they won the Cup. We have our Domi and Kotkaniemi now, in addition to Weber and Price, Gallagher and Drouin, and Petry, Tatar and Byron. Lehkonen might be on the cusp of 20 goal status too. Shaw is around there too. So while Kane and Toews were very strong, we have more good secondary pieces than Chicago had in 2007. It is time to start building a Cup contender. We won't get there unless we work on the build. Starting now.

Find a good top 4 LD, that could be Keith for a while.

Find another scorer, though Suzuki might be that guy and we already have him on the way.

And use cap space to find one more LD.

Don't stall, work on the build!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I have an issue getting a vet that has already won 3 Cups. He has zero reason to push himself for anything other than a comfortable retirement.
You underestimate the heart of a champion.....guys like Keith, Toews, Messier, Crosby want nothing more than to be a champ, to be recognized as a great player.

If he comes to Montreal, he’s waiving his NMC to win a cup, not so he can coast into high tax, snowy and cold Montreal.

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad