Confirmed with Link: Trade: Logan Brown to StLouis for Zack Sanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Logan Brown stinks, is a bust and likely career AHL player.

We acquired 2 million dollars to reach the cap floor.

That's it. Move on

Panic trading for a 4th liner that makes 2M to reach the cap floor shows an incredible lack of foresight.

Why was Dorion not prepared for a long Tkachuk negotiation? Should have hit the cap floor well before training camp.

Forget Brown if you don't think he'll ever be an NHLer, trading a 4th alone to spend 2M on Sanford sucks.

Reactions: Cosmix and HSF

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Sanford is an NHL player

We acquired this NHL player for a guy that does not look like he's ever going to be an NHL player and a 4th round pick that has maybe a 10% chance of becoming an NHL player
You're on HF though. Any draft pick, regardless of round is always potentially the next gem. Every 6th round pick ever traded is a lost Stone or Alfredsson.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Panic trading for a 4th liner that makes 2M to reach the cap floor shows an incredible lack of foresight.

Why was Dorion not prepared for a long Tkachuk negotiation? Should have hit the cap floor well before training camp.

Forget Brown if you don't think he'll ever be an NHLer, trading a 4th alone to spend 2M on Sanford sucks.

I don't know... maybe he's a bit of a procrastinator? Same situation happened with Stone, at the very last minute... He has to set internal deadlines to not end up his back against the wall.

Spending "6.5" on Stepan also looked good on Melnyk last year, is it why we spent a 2nd lol? Same thing here with Sanford, we're giving up picks to help teams create cap space. Blues fans were pretty much unanimous that it was a guy to get rid of. I'm sure if there was Coyotes fans, they would have said the same thing about Stepan last year. Crazy that we give up picks for cap dumps.

At least, Dorion did pretty good with Dadonov, was able to get a pick back for him and a solid 3rd pairing D-man on a cheap 1 year deal. Dadonov had a solid recent track record but frankly looked like he was close to becoming a cap dump too last year. One of the best Dorion deals IMO

The Coburn/Paquette deal for a 2nd was pretty good too, just wish we would have waived Paquette (to keep Balcers) but getting a 2nd for 2 short term cheap cap dumps was good. Wish we coud have "weaponized" our cap space much more than that during the rebuild (like the Yotes have been doing)

Reactions: Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So now the story is that Pierre didn’t bother to negotiate with Oster all summer and then had to make a panic trade sending Brown for Sanford?

Very creative.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
You're on HF though. Any draft pick, regardless of round is always potentially the next gem. Every 6th round pick ever traded is a lost Stone or Alfredsson.

Funny take from a fan of a team that drafts better than almost any other team in the league on day 2 of the draft.

Draft picks should be hoarded and Mann should be given as much ammo as possible to find gems given his track record.

Wasting draft picks by allowing our management and pro-scouts to use them is biting the hand that feeds.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Pretty sure it was more/less than 30 games.
So now we pay a 4th assuming Logan doesn't get to 30

Im pretty sure the Blues would have preffered a young top 6 forward over the 4th given a choice....

Problem is that Logan never gave then that option, at least as of yet anyways.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Funny take from a fan of a team that drafts better than almost any other team in the league on day 2 of the draft.

Draft picks should be hoarded and Mann should be given as much ammo as possible to find gems given his track record.

Wasting draft picks by allowing our management and pro-scouts to use them is biting the hand that feeds.

Damn, this should be STICKIED. Particularly that last part.

I'd MUCH rather have Mann get me some Sokolovs, Bathersons, Formentons, Daousts, Crookshanks, Guenettes than having Dorion and the pro scouting spending picks on Gudbranson, Stepan, Josh Brown, Sanford, etc.

I'd also much rather sign a UFA like Ennis for no asset and low salary

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Draft picks for 2022 already are hoarded.

Perhaps you can explain how, when you have a ton of draft picks in the coming draft, using one of the picks to acquire an NHL player after a camp where you had a couple of long term injury is a bad play. I'd really like to hear that explanation.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Perhaps you can explain how, when you have a ton of draft picks in the coming draft, using one of the picks to acquire an NHL player after a camp where you had a couple of long term injury is a bad play. I'd really like to hear that explanation.

I don't think it is going to make a huge difference but I'd rather keep the pick and grab a player off waivers. There were a couple that are at least as good as Sanford.. Sanford is by no means a note worthy acquisition. I'd rather a player that played with more pace and could bring more energy consistently. No big win here. Brown would not help Ottawa either btw and would be in Belleville.. although he may have got a callup with the depleted Cs.

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Instead of trading a 4th round pick for a replacement level 4th liner, pick one off waivers at a cost of zero assets and keep the 4th.

It's not rocket science.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Instead of trading a 4th round pick for a replacement level 4th liner, pick one off waivers at a cost of zero assets and keep the 4th.

It's not rocket science.

OK, so who that just went on waivers do you feel an NHL executive would assess as being a better player than Sanford

Seriously. Who.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
OK, so who that just went on waivers do you feel an NHL executive would assess as being a better player than Sanford

Seriously. Who.
How about Josh Leivo? Cleared October 11, similar career stats and age to Sanford.

But I also reject the premise, because it's not a one-for-one swap. In this case, we wouldn't have Sanford or Leivo. We'd have Sanford or the 4th rounder we traded away for him, PLUS Leivo. (In this case, I know we traded Brown for him, not a pick. Just trying to stay within the frame of the discussion.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sanford ain’t too bad

not a bad trade, like the Namestinov trade where we have him for half a season to help the kids and then trade him at the deadline for a 4th - your basically renting a player for 50 games at no cost. (They would of lost Logan on waivers)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Seriously. Who.

Once again, the question is not who's better than Sanford but whether Sanford is so much better than it's worth giving up a 4th round pick to add him instead of grabbing a guy off the waiver wire.

Any one of: ABB, Stenlund, MacEwen, Wagner, Komarov, Gambrell, Panik, Lind, Gadjovich, Pilon, Volkov, Marody + a 4th > Sanford

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
not a bad trade, like the Namestinov trade where we have him for half a season to help the kids and then trade him at the deadline for a 4th - your basically renting a player for 50 games at no cost. (They would of lost Logan on waivers)

But why not add a player for no assets in free agency or via the waiver wire, hope he plays well enough to garner some interest at the deadline, and then trade him for a net return of a pick?

I didn't like the Namestnikov acquisition for the same reason I don't like the Sanford acquisition. Waste of our limited money and a missed opportunity add an asset at the deadline, should we miss the playoffs again.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They would have not of

Maybe they would have .. He cleared when the Blues waived him.
He might also be on the roster right now over Shaw

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
This has become a running theme with Dorion.

Trades a 2nd for Stepan, gets nothing back (injury)
Trades a 4th for Namestnikov, gets a 5th back
Trades a 4th for Sanford, looking unlikely we get a 4th back
Trades a 5th for Gudbranson, gets a 7th back

And their combined salaries total 10.25M.

Sits on his hands on July 1st and won't overpay a UFA to come to Ottawa for a year, but will trade an asset to overpay for a guy with a year left on a contract.

Waste of money and assets.

Ashrum

Sep 22, 2006
Maybe no one wanted brown and Ottawa just did him a solid by sending him to his home team.

Not great asset management but if they waved him he may have gotten claimed.

Ended up no one wanted him for free either so now he knows this and he has a harder hill to climb in an organization that he probably respects more but probably asks him to work on the same stuff Ottawa did, maybe he listens but probably not.

I wanted him to be out 2nd line center but pinto is doing what I hope brown would do but never did.

Can't win them all.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I continue to think it's Logan Brown that didn't want to play for Ottawa organization anymore and asked for a trade (there was many rumors for a while)

And seriously, how is father sounded kinda revealed it

Namestnikov >> Sanford IMO

Namestnikov was a good pickup. Wish Dorion would have continued to go with that type of moves.

Once again, the question is not who's better than Sanford but whether Sanford is so much better than it's worth giving up a 4th round pick to add him instead of grabbing a guy off the waiver wire.

Any one of: ABB, Stenlund, MacEwen, Wagner, Komarov, Gambrell, Panik, Lind, Gadjovich, Pilon, Volkov, Marody + a 4th > Sanford

Adam Brooks

I know they look terrible right now but the team that just went to the finals took 2 guys off waivers including Brooks. Why didn't we? We knew we had injuries and that Tkachuk would miss games too.

But why not add a player for no assets in free agency or via the waiver wire, hope he plays well enough to garner some interest at the deadline, and then trade him for a net return of a pick?

Do you mean Ennis >> Sanford?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
They would have not of

Maybe they would have .. He cleared when the Blues waived him.
He might also be on the roster right now over Shaw

I’m rethinking everything I thought I knew about you. You’ve gone from a guy who works for the mob to an English teacher

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How about Josh Leivo? Cleared October 11, similar career stats and age to Sanford.

But I also reject the premise, because it's not a one-for-one swap. In this case, we wouldn't have Sanford or Leivo. We'd have Sanford or the 4th rounder we traded away for him, PLUS Leivo. (In this case, I know we traded Brown for him, not a pick. Just trying to stay within the frame of the discussion.)

So if Sanford goes on waivers, is he claimed?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

No, it's not

Sanford is an NHL player. Who amongst the names you posted still is?

We needed NHL players. It's pretty simple. Not waiver wire pickups. And we had a stock cupboard of draft picks to get a NHL player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad