Confirmed with Link: Trade: Logan Brown to StLouis for Zack Sanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have seen him in St. Louis too and he was not good. He looked exactly the same. So you keep your rose coloured glasses on if you want. There are ppl that don't see him like you do. How about we just come back to this conversation after the season begins? I'll gladly eat my words on him, will you if I'm right?
Lol, that’s the first time I’ve seen @bert accused of wearing rose coloured glasses.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and bert

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Look at it from a long-term big picture point of view. The 2021-2022 Ottawa Senators are probably not going to be competing for the Stanley cup and most likely will not make the playoffs, so why would we ruin a young prospects development just because we think another player sucks?

I am against rushing prospects as it is, let alone doing it for no good reason. If we had no other option, then yes, you keep Sokolov and hope being rushed to the NHL does not ruin him long-term, but when you have a capable veteran player at 26 years old who has been a cup winning team, then you take the good with the bad and wait for the right opportunity to make changes.

I agree for the most part. Also Crookshank and Kelly are injured so who knows if they would have made the team or not. However, both of them are 22 years old (and not fresh draft picks) and to me could have had a great shot of making the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure if I said that already but Sanford is like a taller winger version of Tierney. He doesn't engage a lot and has an average skillset. You have to play him with good players to "get him going" (like they did in St. Louis with RoR and Perron)

He's a NHLer though so let's see what he can do. Hopefully he can find some chemistry and have a decent statistical year so we'll be able to get a 3rd back for him at the deadline, which would recover the 3rd that was used at the 2016 draft to trade up from 12th to 11th to select Logan Brown.

This is hindsight bias and searching for justifications.

His injuries are tied to his conditioning, his effort, his attitude etc. Everyone faces the risk of injury. While some are "unlucky", many players over come their luck and succeed anyway.

It's not like there's this other universe where all these flame outs are Gretzky because they didn't tweak their backs.

He had his chances. He's had years to get healthy. This isn't a guy who had a series of freak injuries like Achilles cuts and Torres blind side hits.

His play, fitness, style etc are not suited to this profession.

Winners find a way to succeed.

Sorry for the delay, I try to answer to every post I was quoted for. Sometimes I forget when things get busy

You can call it "hindsight bias" and "searching for justifications" and it's fine. Personally, I call it REALITY. From my personal experience and everything I have observed so far in life, "opportunity" is a real thing.

One thing I won't do is pretend that I know exactly why he keeps getting injured. I just don't have even close to enough information to put a judgement on his "conditioning, his effort, his attitude". Maybe he didn't work hard enough to be more resistant but again, I don't have this information and I simply don't talk about things I know nothing about.

Like I have tried to explain, covid and injuries are not something you fully control (not even close to 100%) and in this case, it affected Brown's opportunity. I know first hand that Covid changed things for a lot of people. I was in a process of buying a new business but then I completely changed my plans.

Another thing I won't do is talk in absolute, like if it was 100% over for Logan Brown, simply because I don't have a crystal ball. He's 23 y/o and might get other opportunities in a better situation/fit for him.

I haven't seen anyone saying "he'd be Gretzky IF", not even close. My hope from the start was that he could be a poor man's Spezza. However, it doesn't seem like his skating has improved like Spezza managed to do back then

All that being said, of course if he never makes it he will be the main responsible (assist to his dad?). I am just saying that so far, things out of his control really didn't help (repeating, 14 games in 20 months?). It's "hindsight bias" to you, reality to me. We all see things differently. Some think the covid vaccine was made to decimate populations or mind control people, then some other people like me think it's "just another vaccine" to improve life expectancy

Would you claim him back on waivers with C.White out 4-6 months?

No, I think the Sens wanted to give him a "fair chance" in training camp but it's most likely him and his dad who didn't want to stay in Ottawa. Maybe his father pushed for him to being traded to St-Louis, which was another shitty advice (if it was the case) because the Blues forward group is way too deep and established.

Like I said before, his best bet would be to go to a team with zero expectations (like Buffalo/Arizona) to try and establish himself as a NHL player. Keep in mind he has played ONLY 14 pro games in the last 20 months... Not only he has to establish himself but he also to "rebuild himself". Hard to see him succeed on a team like the Blues. It would require injuries/chemistry

I think one of the 8 teams who finished below the Sens last season will claim him, a team with no pressure to win, who can spend whole team trying to make a NHL player out of him

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
at the end of the day, everyone is life has a different role to play. Some people are NHL Hockey coaches, other people are public servants. I'm sure there are many public servants that work in specialty fields that would think to themselves that the average NHL hockey coach would know f*** all about how to do their very specific, detailed public service job. And the average NHL hockey coach knows for certain that the average public servant cannot coach in the NHL. If we look at some of our top forwards, the consensus public servant HF Sens poster view at the time was that Tkachuk was a terrible pick, Norris wouldn't amount to much as part of the Karlsson trade and that there were a gazillion guys with more upside at 32 than Shane Pinto.

Regarding Sanford - he made a play right in front of me in my seat Monday night that was pretty damn nifty, it showed a ton of skill and some nice hands. He made a neutral zone play last night to pivot between two checkers and come out the other side with the puck. Both were NHL plays executed by an NHL player and both plays would have been noticed by the people that make lineup decisions. Neither were commented on in the GDT. Let's give him some time before we get all shook up on labelling him as nothing.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Haha I cant win, I get it from both sides. Pretty hilarious to be accused of wearing rose coloured glasses when I want to see more than a 4 exhibition game sample size of a player.
When you are getting it from both sides that means you are likely very balanced and objective in your views

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I thought Sanford was more engaged last night...could see how he can be a useful player for us.

Reactions: GCK

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Fair trade ,Brown wasnt going to be much of anything here...So getting a decent top 9 winger works

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Brown not dressed for tonights game and the Blues are winning 7-1

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Pick him up for the chaos

just-when-i-thought-i-was-out.gif

Another drive from St-Louis to Ottawa will surely build that character.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I wonder what the exact wording of the trade clause is. Do we have to give St. Louis the 4th rounder if he doesn't play 30 games for them specifically, or is it just 30 NHL games for any team?

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Whenever could have foreseen that his leash would be shorter if he left ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad