Confirmed with Link: Trade: Kerby Rychel for Hunter Shinkaruk (Flames)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
my wild guess would be that Rychel was asking for either too much or a one way. We gave up the better AHL player, which is where both will likely be unless we get hit hard with injuries. But you never know, sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery so hopefully he has a good year in Laval.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
I lnow canucks fans were high on him a few years back .also lit it up in junior.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A lot of busts in 2013 first round. Habs have had 3 of them..McCarron, Rychel and Shinkaruk. For where he was picked you could also add Drouin to that list. Domi I have hope for

Reactions: Luckylarry

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I prefer Daniel Carr to any 2013 1st rounder we've had.

But Bergevin is the master of bottom sixers, so let's see what this brings. Some succeed, some fail, but you can't argue with:

Deslauriers for Redmond,
Byron off Waivers,
Weise for Diaz, Fleischmann on a tryout and then both traded for Danault and a 2nd,
Froese was good for us in the 4th line C role
Jerabek for a 5th
Morrow for a 4th
Reilly for a 5th may still pan out.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
1 AHLer for 1 AHLer, no big deal, Shinkaruk is faster and if I recall correctly he was publicly saying he was a big Habs fan prior the draft and wished we would pick him... Bergevin wants guys who want to play here so...

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I lnow canucks fans were high on him a few years back .also lit it up in junior.

He was actually a decent prospect in his draft year, underperformed spectacularly since his d+1. Rychel is actually the better player, can't skate with NHLers though .

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well when we traded for Rychel we were all about Attitoode. Prior to the draft we were all about quickness and speed, and attitoode, so new guy exemplifies what we now look for
better than Rychel.

I think its just wonderful how MB obviously delights in all these little AHL type transactions ( didnt I hear we have made the 2nd most amount of trades since some particular date ? ) , so much fun I imagine. No really, I mean its great.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I remember MB said a couple times his goal was to get bigger players for the Habs.

Well, small team keep getting smaller.

52be1cb952531f7bc919d5a39f380d90

Reactions: Chili

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
He was actually a decent prospect in his draft year, underperformed spectacularly since his d+1. Rychel is actually the better player, can't skate with NHLers though .
Dropped in his draft year a la Esposito, scouts had already figured out he wouldn't amount to much.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Swap of unsigned rfas, both of whom cleared waivers last fall.

Apparently the Habs have already signed Shinkaruk to a two way deal.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Bergevin wants guys who want to play here so...

That's completely false. Bergevin likes to TAKE ADVANTAGE of people who like playing here. But he is willing to drop them in favour of shiny new toys way too often.

Radulov, Markov, Emelin, Pacioretty - keeps dumping, or dumping on, players who like it here.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
"I'm not going to make a trade just for the sake of making a trade"-MB

When did he give this quote? Not that we should care one way or another about a trade this inconsequential, but Montreal's made something like the 2nd most trades of any team the last 3 years, so I'd hope it wasn't in that time-frame.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What's funny is Rychel signed the exact same contract with Calgary that Hunter signed with Habs.

Both signed a 1-Year, 2-Way contract of $650K.

Reactions: Peanut

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What's funny is Rychel signed the exact same contract with Calgary that Hunter signed with Habs.

Both signed a 1-Year, 2-Way contract of $650K.

Shinkaruk is getting $80,000 as AHL salary, $10k over ELC level.

Rychel surely wanted more, but the amount Calgary gave him is not disclosed yet.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Honestly the real problem with trades like that is not the GM but RDS and the media. This is an AHL trade involving two AHLers soon to be pro European skaters. The only mention of this trade should be in the AHL subsection of RDS.ca. Yet RDS runs it as the main news on their front page. Honestly it's borderline amateurish. This is not even close to be the big sports news of the day worldwide. It should not be mentioned on the front page at all. But Le Réseau des Sports de La Ville de Montréal just can't resist running anything related to the CH as a big news.

Fans who don't know hockey much think we just improved the team because those type of fans think management knows best and the only trades they do always improve the team 100% of the time.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Great signing for the Habs, Flames are close to the salary Cap, Habs good fortune. Shinkaruk has had his injury problems, he's since had surgeries and rarely missed a game since the last two seasons, looking forward to how he thrives in Habland. He's a very capable hockey player with desire to be the best, plus he's talented. Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!...:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: This has potential for the Habs, speedy RW left shot if I remember correctly, plays 200 ft. game, Love It.:devdance::devdance::devdance:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad