Confirmed with Link: Trade: Kerby Rychel for Hunter Shinkaruk (Flames)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
SIZE is HEIGHT too. Not only WEIGHT. Yes SKILLS is hugely important. But when you have the three "S" , SPEED, Skills and Size, your chances to win BIG are way better.

Tampa might have short forwards, but they have an abundance of SIZE on the blue line and skills all over the line up.

Guys like Gallagher is how the modern nhl goes. Gritty, but is also speedy. Lucic/Alzner's are the old guard

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Are you really unsure? because galchenyuk is slooooooow... and i LOVED the guy, but max blows him out of the water skating wise

Have never really paid attention to Domi so I left it open for me to find out.

Reactions: Redux91

Jul 6, 2016
Guys like Gallagher is how the modern nhl goes. Gritty, but is also speedy. Lucic/Alzner's are the old guard

We can play that game for a long time.... And I can give you the name of 100 players with speed-size and skills that are superior to Gally (that I like a lot by the way). But you won't win anything with 12 Gallaghers in your forwards group. Sorry !

And never compare Alzner to big guys like Hedman, or Seth Jones or many, many other BIG, SKILLED d-men.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
It seems like Bergevin wants to make the team faster.

Shinkaruk is an upgrade skating wise on Rychel.
Peca is a very fast skater
Reilly is an upgrade in speed on Jerabek (last year's deadline moves).
Domi is an upgrade in speed on Galchenyuk
Armia is a good skater.

All his summer moves were about speed.

The problem though, is that Bergevin doesn't stick to a plan. This year its about speed. Other years, it was size and toughness and character (Weber, Shaw summer). Other years its something else entirely. Switching from plan to plan is madness. You can't keep changing philosophies.
The plan is to have everything. Not planning to have one aspect and stick to it year after year.

Habs are lacking of everything anyway, so...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
one year, down the road, the formula will work. Maybe by 2035, but it will work.
yeah then we wont look like degenerate gamblers relying on lady luck ( the draft) to solve all that ails us.

one day, one day.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
yeah then we wont look like degenerate gamblers relying on lady luck ( the draft) to solve all that ails us.

one day, one day.

Like our leader told us, Expect the Unexpected. Don't question greatness, respekt it, and appreciate da karakter and willingness to kompete he is bringing us.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
He might be talking about a Road Trippin' with Biz segment he did while he was with the coyotes. They were playing in MTL and he threw shade on MTL. The reason he did so was because he was more-so taking a shot at his friend and ex teammate ( they might have been teammates at the time) Anthony Duclair. I think people like this guy are making a way bigger deal out of it then they should be. Start at 9:17 minute mark .. Says "Place Sucks" when talking about MTL... As you can see he's just defending his home city (TOR) against Duclairs's (MTL)

Duclair is not from MTL...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Like our leader told us, Expect the Unexpected. Don't question greatness, respekt it, and appreciate da karakter and willingness to kompete he is bringing us.
You incorrectly spelled the words respect, compete and character.......:)

Reactions: Runner77

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
SIZE is HEIGHT too. Not only WEIGHT. Yes SKILLS is hugely important. But when you have the three "S" , SPEED, Skills and Size, your chances to win BIG are way better.

Tampa might have short forwards, but they have an abundance of SIZE on the blue line and skills all over the line up.

Um... I mentionned both height and weight in my post.

Reactions: jaffy27

member 300185

My nickels worth.

Kerby is as good as he is going to get. Can't skate.

Hunter has some upside potential. Only 23 and was a very good junior player.

I won't say this often, but Bergy made a nice trade. Now develop Hunter.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Hilarious that I remember some commentators saying how rychel was such a steal when we got him. Now we trade him for a guy with 15 NHL games at 24 years old and meh it doesn't even matter because Rychel wasn't that good. Oh I agree both are terribad players (as I mentioned about rychel when we got him). But lets repeat the "deal" we had and replace rychel fo shinkurak, a smaller less gritty player. You know the reason we needed rychel :nod:
Newcomer Kerby Rychel brings grit, playmaking to Laval Rocket

Hab eye on the prize. Top 25 under 25 at # 19 August 8 2018-2 weeks ago.

One of two players acquired from the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Tomas Plekanec trade, Kerby Rychel debuts in the top 20 in his first off-season in Montreal.
For Rychel, the move is his best chance at carving out an NHL spot before he’s too far into his prime as a player. While he was putting together a solid, albeit unspectacular season for the Toronto Marlies in the AHL, his offensive game exploded upon joining the Laval Rocket.
On a team that struggled to do much of anything positive in the AHL last year, Rychel helped form a dynamic line with Chris Terry and Adam Cracknell that was capable of piling up goals in quick succession. The trio was the primary source of offence in Laval as the rest of the squad was comprised of ECHL call-ups, AHL rookies, and tryouts struggling to keep pace.
Rychel’s standout play, in addition to a decent showing in four NHL games late in the season, suggested that he still may find himself an NHL spot in the Montreal Canadiens organization. He will need to keep the consistency and effort level he showed upon joining the club last winter to take it, as there will be some tough competition among his fellow wingers.

AND YET....
This is how desperate we are for any sort of news? And bergie was worried about losing him for nothing...better a coat hanger to put a jersey on then nothing I suppose. But it is a roster spot that could have been used for a nothing signing like we usually do.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It seems like Bergevin wants to make the team faster.

Shinkaruk is an upgrade skating wise on Rychel.
Peca is a very fast skater
Reilly is an upgrade in speed on Jerabek (last year's deadline moves).
Domi is an upgrade in speed on Galchenyuk
Armia is a good skater.

All his summer moves were about speed.

The problem though, is that Bergevin doesn't stick to a plan. This year its about speed. Other years, it was size and toughness and character (Weber, Shaw summer). Other years its something else entirely. Switching from plan to plan is madness. You can't keep changing philosophies.

If Habs wanted speed, they probably shouldn't get Shinkaruk, he is not speedy,..errrr... fast, as it were.
- not that he is particularly poor skater, really slow, no no, but fast he is not, nor skilled for that matter,
not at pro standards anyways.

Maybe all the hubbub around Shinkaruk was because, he looked better in the juniors, but reality hit when he became a pro.
- not that he was a star in the juniors or anything, just over 1 ppg player, come to think of it.... why scouts saw him as a first rounder
and why was selected 24th overall?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
If Habs wanted speed, they probably shouldn't get Shinkaruk, he is not speedy,..errrr... fast, as it were.
- not that he is particularly poor skater, really slow, no no, but fast he is not, nor skilled for that matter,

Maybe all the hubbub around Shinkaruk was because, he looked better in the juniors, but reality hit when he became a pro.
- not that he was a star in the juniors or anything, just over 1 ppg player, come to think of it.... why scouts saw him as a first rounder

The skill issue is debateable... and given his points after his draft year, you are likely right in that he is not a high skill player.

That said, I totally disagree on speed. First he is a much, much better skater than Rychel. Not only that though, as Rychel is a low bar. That said, he is objectively fast and thats compared to the competition he faces in the AHL. Skill might be an issue, but he is someone who has always been a really good skater compared to peers.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Point is he’s all those things better than Rychel and he signed his contract offer.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hilarious that I remember some commentators saying how rychel was such a steal when we got him. Now we trade him for a guy with 15 NHL games at 24 years old and meh it doesn't even matter because Rychel wasn't that good. Oh I agree both are terribad players (as I mentioned about rychel when we got him). But lets repeat the "deal" we had and replace rychel fo shinkurak, a smaller less gritty player. You know the reason we needed rychel :nod:
Newcomer Kerby Rychel brings grit, playmaking to Laval Rocket

AND YET....
This is how desperate we are for any sort of news? And bergie was worried about losing him for nothing...better a coat hanger to put a jersey on then nothing I suppose. But it is a roster spot that could have been used for a nothing signing like we usually do.

I'd have to go back and read the trade thread cause I don't remember off the top of my head anyone saying Rychel, the guy that cleared waivers earlier in the year was a steal since we could of just picked him up for free.

But where did you get MB was worried about losing him for nothing?

why scouts saw him as a first rounder

49 goals, 91 pts in 66 games in the WHL at 17, that's why

Last edited:

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I'm late to the party and I'm sure it's already been discussed but since we got Rychel in the Plekanec trade we basically got Shinkaruk for free, like a waiver pickup. Along with a 2nd as well. Low risk, high reward. I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->