Confirmed with Link: Trade: Kerby Rychel for Hunter Shinkaruk (Flames)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Honestly the real problem with trades like that is not the GM but RDS and the media. This is an AHL trade involving two AHLers soon to be pro European skaters. The only mention of this trade should be in the AHL subsection of RDS.ca. Yet RDS runs it as the main news on their front page. Honestly it's borderline amateurish. This is not even close to be the big sports news of the day worldwide. It should not be mentioned on the front page at all. But Le Réseau des Sports de La Ville de Montréal just can't resist running anything related to the CH as a big news.

Fans who don't know hockey much think we just improved the team because those type of fans think management knows best and the only trades they do always improve the team 100% of the time.

This isn't exactly a huge day in the world of sports though. I mean... Pierre Gasly getting the 2nd RBR drive. Other than that?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This isn't exactly a huge day in the world of sports though. I mean... Pierre Gasly getting the 2nd RBR drive. Other than that?

MLB season is on. NRL season is on. Tennis season is on. US open about to start. NFL preseason is on. Golf season is on. All those leagues are bigger than the AHL by a fair margin. There's absolutely no way a news like that should be the number 1 news on your front page.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

Not only that but RDS know that by putting the word Trade along with the word Habs on their front page they are going to get and shitload of clicks , traffic and ad revenues

I doubt anything bring more traffic than Habs news on RDS.ca

Reactions: ArtPeur

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
For what it is....I think it's a fine trade. I prefer to see a Shinkaruk type of player with his speed and his hockey sense. But...chances are he plateaued already. But let's see. At worst, he'd be a fine AHL player for Laval.

Next? McCarron for Frédéric Gauthier. :sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
MLB season is on. NRL season is on. Tennis season is on. US open about to start. NFL preseason is on. Golf season is on. All those leagues are bigger than the AHL by a fair margin. There's absolutely no way a news like that should be the number 1 news on your front page.

... on a Monday afternoon?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just read up on him a little bit. He scored 49 goals the year before his draft year in Junior. But after he was drafted he had to sit out most of his final year with hip surgery (2014). It was revealed he had been playing with the injury throughout his junior year.

I wonder if his hip injury has never really healed, and he's got a bum hip from trying to play through the injury. Would also be nice if he could further heal and start to excel, but that seems unlikely at this point.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Just read up on him a little bit. He scored 49 goals the year before his draft year in Junior. But after he was drafted he had to sit out most of his final year with hip surgery (2014). It was revealed he had been playing with the injury throughout his junior year.

I wonder if his hip injury has never really healed, and he's got a bum hip from trying to play through the injury. Would also be nice if he could further heal and start to excel, but that seems unlikely at this point.
well last small player we got from Calgary worked out.
And he is better suited for the new NHL, so i am willing to look positively at this swap

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
well last small player we got from Calgary worked out.
And he is better suited for the new NHL, so i am willing to look positively at this swap
Because of Rychel's skating, he's a real long shot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching his youtube video,

his style of play looks like Matt Duchene with a skating stride similar to Alex Galchenyuk's.

Perhaps his hip injury history slowed him down that extra fraction of a second that's needed to break away at the NHL level. He seems like a dynamic offensive talent at the junior level.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I never understand the spleen vented towards these types of trades. They don't come at the expense of the ones we actually want MB to make. You want your GM to try and find diamonds in the rough through trades like this. These moves in and of themselves are completely fine.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I never understand the spleen vented towards these types of trades. They don't come at the expense of the ones we actually want MB to make. You want your GM to try and find diamonds in the rough through trades like this. These moves in and of themselves are completely fine.
i agree, from all angles, and rated on its own merit, this is a great trade, lots of upside, and no downside. problem every trade, people rate it as if rating bergevin's tenure as a GM

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
What will hppen with McCarron? Is he done as a hab?

I think there's still some hope left for him to turn into a Brian Boyle type of player......but on the other hand, i really think the NHL has move in another direction since his draft year and he's the type of player that got out of the game.

Must change his game and be great defensively,PK and faceoff....or play dirty a la Wilson

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hockey is a game played not just on the ice but in the kind. Shinkaruk has ZERO confidence and is beaten. Maybe a change of scenery can help but ultimately he’d need a team to take a chance in him which isn’t likely. MAYBE Bouchard can ignite the flame again and IF there’injuries and he gets his shot he can do something. Ultimately, he’s better suited to the new NHL and does have the physical talent but mentally, he’s done.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Personally I prefer Rychel, but it’s such a nothing trade I can’t get too worried about it.

Hopefully Shinkaruk can turn it around in Laval

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Hockey is a game played not just on the ice but in the kind. Shinkaruk has ZERO confidence and is beaten. Maybe a change of scenery can help but ultimately he’d need a team to take a chance in him which isn’t likely. MAYBE Bouchard can ignite the flame again and IF there’injuries and he gets his shot he can do something. Ultimately, he’s better suited to the new NHL and does have the physical talent but mentally, he’s done.

heard he was a huge habs fan, so that might also help

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

There will be injuries, plus we'll probably be out of the playoffs by December. So, he'll get some NHL games in.

Watching him, I think his style of play has a higher upside in the new NHL than Rychel.

I like the trade. Could be a Nikita Nesterov type acquisition or a Paul Byron type. Time will tell. Hopefully he plays a lot in Laval as opposed to playing 4th line here, takes off and then gets a call up. He'll compete with De la Rose, Froese, and Deslauriers for the last 2 spots in the top 12, or with Froese for the 13th forward spot, assuming De la Rose and Froese are ahead of him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad