Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
And for those concerned about Quick’s injury history, he’s played 72, 68, and 64 games in 3 of the last 4 full seasons. I don’t equate his injuries to be much different than Bob’s previous groin issues except quick’s injuries are more recent.

The only contribution Korpisalo has in the success of Blue Jackets is that he could share his stretching regime with Quick to prevent injuries. Yet there is even fair amount of discussion as if a Nabokov-Kiprusoff situation could repeat if these two share a team for more than a season ... despite Korpisalo not doing more than Oscar Dansk in the game of ice hockey besides featuring in one already lost NHL season.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Ahh...Kipper...so good! I remember him getting a rehab stint for San Jose in the early 2000s in Cleveland when I was living there. He played four games and put on an absolute clinic for those of us without an NHL club in town. What a treat!

Reactions: JKinCLE

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I was trying to remember the latter myself, and I'm the one who brought it up...

Pretty sure I was suggesting that Torts calling two recent meetings didn't necessarily have to be on account of the Bob/Bread stuff. That it could just be about the team playing poorly and that the team's poor play also doesn't have to be attributable.

I hope I've made my point.
Fair enough but I believe it's short sighted to think that this team would all of a sudden look like crap due to the ups and downs of the season. It's too much of a coincidence with the whole Bread and Bob stuff going on. It is very hard to pinpoint though. One could claim it was affecting them early on but we were still winning and now it's not affecting them but we are losing. Doesn't exactly make much sense though. Or there is no effect and we are going through the ups and downs of the season, but I don't see that personally.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Ahh...Kipper...so good! I remember him getting a rehab stint for San Jose in the early 2000s in Cleveland when I was living there. He played four games and put on an absolute clinic for those of us without an NHL club in town. What a treat!

I remember that! Vaguely. I was still pretty young. Former 50 goal scorer Jonathan Cheechoo was on that team as well.

CBJMiddleGround

Jan 8, 2019
Do you guys think that the CBJ would trade Artemi Panarin and Riley Nash for Mika Zibinajad and maybe a mid-tier minor league player from the Rangers?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'm a fan...after Landeskog he was second favorite payer in his draft year. Of course we didn't have a high 1st round pick that year because we traded it away for Douchebag #2. I'd be intrigued. He's a good young player at a position of need and Nash would be addition by subtraction for the next two seasons as far as the cap is concerned.

PLD and Z as our top two centers for the next five - seven years sounds pretty good to me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Wait...you wanna trade Nash to an in-dvision rival? That's nuts man!
No good can ever come of trading R. Nash to the Rangers. :nod:

In all seriousness, I'd love to pick up Zibby, but I'm not 100% sure if the Rangers would willingly move him for Panarin, even if the odds seem to be that he'd sign there. If they're feeling confident, then, hey, go for it. But in that case I'd start with a much higher price and work my way down just to test and see how confident they are. ;)

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario

bf7.jpg

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
If I was on the verge of free agency, I'm not sure I'd sign a deal either.
You would not. No reason to. Unless you know precisely what team you want to choose in July, and that it is at the max price (which you would not know), you would not sign today. Or at least the economic/game theory approach says not to sign. Plus, other teams will look different in July. One will be a SC champion, a few others will have made playoff runs. Some will have lost UFA's, others will have picked up UFA's. All of those things, in addition to your gf's preference, matter. So let all the information filter in and make your decision in July.

Even if CBJ offered you (i.e. Panarin) $13M for 8 years, and even if you (Panarin) were inclined to stay in Columbus, you would be wise to simply wait. The Columbus offer isn't going down after July 1, they will still love you in July because you haven't burned any bridges, and some other team may offer you even more. And if it's FLA or NYR or NYI or any other big city/European-type city, so much the better for your (his) home life with gf. And that doesn't mean he takes that higher offer - Columbus might decide to up their offer to even more than what FLA or NYR or NYI offer in July at a run to keep him. You like Columbus; you just are not married to Columbus (or anywhere else) yet, nor do you want or need to be married to anywhere - yet. You are already in the driver's seat, with your only risk being a career-threatening injury - anything less would not affect his value much, if at all, and his agent likely has him insured bigtime.

That's the Panarin side of the coin, and it's not changing.

From the CBJ side of the coin, I think it is a very low likelihood Panarin re-signs with CBJ. Yes, it now appears that CBJ knew it was highly probable as of the summer 2018 that Panarin was not signing an extension with CBJ before 7/1/19. But following that logic, then Panarin wasn't signing with ANYONE until July 2019 FA market, so his trade value was not that high, at least not to get a current top 6 player in return, along with future.. So Jarmo decided to keep Panarin and take a run this year, in hopes that a run might influence Panarin's decision (possibly in July 2019 and maybe not so much during the season). Also with the thinking that whatever the CBJ could have gotten for Panarin in the summer of 2018 (without him signing an extension with new team (via sign and trade or otherwise), probably isn't a whole lot more than what Jarmo can get for him now. So I'm ok with the CBJ's decision thus far.

On the other hand, if Jarmo KNOWS that Panarin is not re-signing with CBJ in July, then trade him for whatever you can get before the TDL, and the sooner the better. Not out of spite, just that you can get more for a 30-game rental than a 20-game rental. If there is still some chance of signing him in July, then hold out for a nice haul and if it comes, still trade him. If there is no decent haul to be had, hold on to him. as the potential for making the playoffs/playoff run/re-signing in July >>> a less than stellar haul.
And regardless of what happens, there will still be cap room to go after a Duchene, Stone or whomever else is the flavor of the day in July (knowing we need an upgrade at 2C). The cap is going up, and (sadly for me) #72 will not be part of the CBJ one way (trade) or the other (simply not re-signing him for the term he wants). Those 2 changes alone create probably $10-12 M in additional cap room for next year, and if Panarin doesn't sign with CBJ, that's $16-18M available (using Panarin's current $6M salary, not the expected $12M + that he will get as a UFA).

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
And for those concerned about Quick’s injury history, he’s played 72, 68, and 64 games in 3 of the last 4 full seasons. I don’t equate his injuries to be much different than Bob’s previous groin issues except quick’s injuries are more recent.

The idea of Quick in union blue turns me on in a way that having Korpi or Reimer as number one decidedly doesn't. Sign me up.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
3. Artemi Panarin freezing all contract talks until after the season is another earthquake reminding teams that players are more willing than ever to maximize their leverage. Eight months after Tavares took one further step than 2016 Steven Stamkos, Panarin’s preparing everyone for a similar meet-and-greet. Tampering rules prevent open statements of lust, but jockeying is underway for an audience.

This will force teams to make even earlier assessments about their star players. Trade them at the draft a year before they hit the market? One exec said his team, if unsure about ability to contend, could weigh doing it even earlier — two trade deadlines before unrestricted free agency. There were rumours New Jersey would consider that path with Taylor Hall, currently available in July 2020. But Devils GM Ray Shero said Saturday there was “zero chance” he would trade Hall this month. (Nor, from what I understand, is Hall looking to go anywhere.)
Not long ago, the idea of trading such a player 19 months before his contract was up wouldn’t just fly in the face of normalcy. It would be like picking up conventional wisdom, slamming it to the ground and kicking dirt on its face. But, at the very least, that thinking is going to become part of every club’s process.

4. Over the weekend, the feeling was Florida would not make trades for Panarin or Sergei Bobrovsky — feeling there was no need to spend assets when the Panthers liked their chances in free agency. Monday, the New York Post’s Larry Brooks reported the Panthers are thinking about trading for Bobrovsky, so as to give him eight years. We will see where this goes, but don’t be surprised to see Florida continue to try to clear room. Mike Hoffman, now in his fifth-straight 20-goal season, could be another to go. Teams are always looking for scorers.

5. Panarin’s decision sent shockwaves through the Blue Jackets. Columbus lost three straight in regulation after agent Dan Milstein’s announcement. A couple days off before a Colorado/Arizona/Vegas trip gives them a chance to breathe and re-set. Trading either player for something that can’t help them now isn’t an option. Doug MacLean was saying last week that he’d trade both players, and, if the assets were futures, flip them for immediate, impactful help. I think GM Jarmo Kekalainen is considering just that. If the Blue Jackets do deal Bobrovsky (and remember, the goalie has control of the situation), do not be surprised if they take a run at Jonathan Quick.

6. There’s a ton of interest in Panarin, but those teams indicate they aren’t being allowed to talk contract with him. Then again, it probably doesn’t matter anyway, since he’s not interested in signing now.

31 Thoughts: Auston Matthews extension a game changer for NHL - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: DJAnimosity

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo Kekalainen, GM, Columbus Blue Jackets
You knew we’d get here eventually, didn’t you? No NHL GM has more on his plate come deadline time than Kekalainen. His two top stars, Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky, are set to become unrestricted free agents in the summer and have indicated they either won’t be coming back under any circumstances or won’t entertain that kind of discussion until the offseason. Panarin has been as advertised, collecting 59 points in his first 49 games. But Bobrovsky is another story, sitting with a pedestrian 3.01 GAA and .901 save percentage, hardly the kind of numbers that instill confidence that this is a team that could do some damage come playoff time, especially when you consider that Bobrovsky has been at best ordinary the past two springs for the Blue Jackets.

The theory, if you’re Kekalainen, is that if you keep both Bobrovsky and Panarin because you believe this is a team capable of at least winning the team’s first playoff series it’s like adding two rentals. But with the Blue Jackets reeling into February having lost five straight, this team looks like it is finally crumbling under all of the outside pressures. As one longtime NHL netminder said recently, it’s hard for players to come to the rink every day and throw everything behind a goaltender that clearly doesn’t want to be there. The fact Bobrovsky was suspended by the team for a game before the All-Star break for basically abandoning his teammates after being pulled from a game has done little to suggest he’s a guy you want in your dressing room.

Another longtime netminder and analyst said it’s pretty basic stuff in terms of dressing room chemistry. “You’ve got to like your goaltender,” he said. Not sure that’s the case with Bobrovsky, so Kekalainen needs to bite the bullet, accept whatever return he might get and hope for some addition by subtraction. Of course trading Bobrovsky, who has a limited no-trade deal, is easier said than done.
As for Panarin, another longtime NHL analyst said the sooner the Blue Jackets can make a deal to find a new home for Panarin, the sooner they can try and regroup. He suggested Boston where Jake Debrusk and a first-round pick might be a fair return for the talented winger.
Beyond that, the Blue Jackets have to ask themselves if they really are built for any kind of playoff run regardless of what happens with Panarin and Bobrovsky. They are very thin down the middle, the analyst said, and it’s hard to imagine them having success against perennial Metropolitan Division powers Washington and Pittsburgh.

Who is on the hot seat as the NHL trade deadline approaches?

BakerMayfield

Feb 4, 2019
I would like to see something around DeBrusk and Bostons 1st and another plus, something like Donato.

Trade Bob to whoever for a first and a prospect if possible.

Move one of the first for Silvf

Package the other 2 and our third for the best goal scoring LW prospect we can get.

BakerMayfield

Feb 4, 2019
I feel like all of our trade dominos will fall at once.

The Ducks are at our game after we scouted them last night as well.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I don't even know what a CBJ/ANA trade looks like...they're around the WC area, as are we...so it would be a shake up/hockey trade...not a seller/buyer trade...just don't know what we're looking at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad