Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Rychel was a miss sure but a late 1st on him wasnt unreasonable. Dano his 1 yr here was a hit and helped bring in Saad so it was a great move to see him play and realize the value and move him for a now then Saad turned into Panarin so mentioning Dano is crazy. Wennberg when he actually shot the puck wasnt a miss. Recently sure but go back 2 years and that season and before he was at least a solid pick.

Don't forget that Rychel turned into Scott Harrington... I will admit to being hard on him for a long time, but he's turned into a serviceable #5/6 guy that wants to be here.

So while he made some misses, most of them are turning out to be hits, even if they are unexpected. I honestly thought we got ripped off in the Rychel/Harrington trade, but in the end it's been an easy win for us.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I could see some benefit to this on the Kings side. They have Jack Campbell. 4 more years at a 5.8 cap hit. He should be 37 when the deal ends. Numbers are down this year but that's a bad Kings team.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Despite his numbers this year (and his injury history in recent past), count me IN on acquiring Quick (depending on the price).

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I bet we’re looking at one of Silfverberg or Rakell as a LW upgrade.
G-d, I wish. Silf seems more likely, tho, if only because contract plans may fall apart. Rakell is a very good player on a very good contract; that's the sort of asset they're likely to want to keep regardless.
I'd be stoked with Rakell or Silfverberg. Like big time stoked. :yo:

Anaheim is definitely going to be selling too so maybe we can actually work some magic.
Am I the only one who isn't crazy about a one time 49 pt winger? Rakell would be incredible though, I would throw a lot at him. I'm pretty sure we don't want to know the asking price though.

speaking of Ricky.
scored Anaheim's lone goal tonight. beautiful snipe top corner over Freddy.

BakerMayfield

Feb 4, 2019
Seattle could also take quick off our hands in the expansion draft whenever VV/Tarasov arr ready if we need them too.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Count me out on both Quick and Howard(with an asterisk). This organization needs to reset this season and stop trying to throw a life vest to a failed season. Trade Panarin and Bob for what you can, reset for next year and move forward. Howard and Quick would require young pieces and assets and are today moves. Quick would stunt the potential growth of Korpisalo for not just this year but years to come. He deserves a chance to swim. Howard will do the same this season, and potentially more if signed. We have Elvis on the way. I am fine with acquiring a veteran goalie for 1-2 years to play/push Korpisalo, but Elvis deserves a chance to compete in camp as well.

The asterisk is if we can get a Duchene (traded for and signed) or Stone (same) in addition to trading Panarin and Bob for futures then you would have enough to TRY to get to the playoffs. In this case, I'd be OK with Howard depending on the price. Quick would be OK too, I guess, but still would stunt Korpisalo.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Count me out on both Quick and Howard(with an asterisk). This organization needs to reset this season and stop trying to throw a life vest to a failed season. Trade Panarin and Bob for what you can, reset for next year and move forward. Howard and Quick would require young pieces and assets and are today moves. Quick would stunt the potential growth of Korpisalo for not just this year but years to come. He deserves a chance to swim. Howard will do the same this season, and potentially more if signed. We have Elvis on the way. I am fine with acquiring a veteran goalie for 1-2 years to play/push Korpisalo, but Elvis deserves a chance to compete in camp as well.

The asterisk is if we can get a Duchene (traded for and signed) or Stone (same) in addition to trading Panarin and Bob for futures then you would have enough to TRY to get to the playoffs. In this case, I'd be OK with Howard depending on the price. Quick would be OK too, I guess, but still would stunt Korpisalo.

Count me out on Quick as well, I think he's a disaster contract for his age and injury history. But throwing the towel in on the season is wrong. Even with a string of losses and a tremendous amount of distractions, we are at a 68% chance of making the playoffs.

We can trade Bob and Bread, get a veteran backup/starter from a team like Detroit or Florida, go out and find a different way to balance our lineup, still make the playoffs this year, and have a brighter future.

It's not all cloudy. We have two of the top trade chips at the deadline, in a year where there will be plenty of sellers. I see us coming out of this stronger now, and for the future. It will just take some finagling.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
:facepalm: :shakehead

First losing streak in the entire damn season and now it's "failed".

Yes. The rear is closer than the top. The drama inside the locker room has now reached the core. External stuff can be dealt with, but when it reaches the inside it will rot it to the core. Look at the Pittsburgh Steelers this past season as proof. This team is no different. They will miss the playoffs as currently constructed. Adding onto this team but keeping Panarin and Bob is putting a new coat of paint on a broken car. Trading Panarin and Bob alleviates the drama, but weakens the team significantly. In the end, the result is the same. Failed season.

Unless of course they trade Panarin and Bob and replace them with Duchene/Stone/Someone else. Then you have reset in season, and give yourself a chance.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yes. The rear is closer than the top. The drama inside the locker room has now reached the core. External stuff can be dealt with, but when it reaches the inside it will rot it to the core. Look at the Pittsburgh Steelers this past season as proof. This team is no different. They will miss the playoffs as currently constructed. Adding onto this team but keeping Panarin and Bob is putting a new coat of paint on a broken car. Trading Panarin and Bob alleviates the drama, but weakens the team significantly. In the end, the result is the same. Failed season.

Lots of good stuff in here.

The drama reaching the core is appears to be spot on. Reading the Foligno and Atkinson quotes would seem to affirm that. Steelers analogy very good as well.

Not a failed season. Yet. But I wouldn't be betting serious money on this squad reaching the playoffs.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wait! What? The Bread & Bob show a distraction? The rest of the guys are professionals not affected by this kind of thing. :sarcasm:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Wait! What? The Bread & Bob show a distraction? The rest of the guys are professionals not affected by this kind of thing. :sarcasm:

Um, Foligno says in that Athletic story that it's not affecting the team.

I don't see how interviews with Nick and Cam mean that all of a sudden "the drama" has reached "the core" any more or less than it had prior.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Um, Foligno says in that Athletic story that it's not affecting the team.

I don't see how interviews with Nick and Cam mean that all of a sudden "the drama" has reached "the core" any more or less than it had prior.
I would say that when they are constantly asked in interviews about it , and they are giving detailed interviews about it , rather than the Colorado game , it’s a distraction . Also , Torts just had a big team meeting , again . That’s 2 or 3 now, in recent memory

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I would say that when they are constantly asked in interviews about it , and they are giving detailed interviews about it , rather than the Colorado game , it’s a distraction . Also , Torts just had a big team meeting , again . That’s 2 or 3 now, in recent memory

So this business with Panarin and Bob may be the catalyst for strengthening the core of the team.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would say that when they are constantly asked in interviews about it , and they are giving detailed interviews about it , rather than the Colorado game , it’s a distraction .

How is it more of a distraction that it has already been? Are you saying it wasn't a distraction before, but now it is?

Also , Torts just had a big team meeting , again . That’s 2 or 3 now, in recent memory

The team stinks right now. Look at last year's schedule. It stunk at this time last year. Is that also attributable to the uncertainty with Bob and Bread?

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I see the potential in Quick that they believe they can still make a run in the next 2 years even if they need to reset this offseason. The fact is Quick has proven he can win in the playoffs. As someone else pointed out, he could then he left exposed for Seattle if they wanted an experience goaltender to start the franchise.

I like Korpi. I think he can be the guy but it’s a big risk to give it to him considering his play hasn’t outright warranted giving the job. Perhaps he just needs regular extended playing time. However, if this team really wants to get it done and make a charge in the next 2 years, I feel more comfortable having a proven goalie who knows how to win.

Reactions: CPTN71

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
How is it more of a distraction that it has already been? Are you saying it wasn't a distraction before, but now it is?

The team stinks right now. Look at last year's schedule. It stunk at this time last year. Is that also attributable to the uncertainty with Bob and Bread?
I would say the closer it reaches to the TDL, the more of a distraction it becomes. Did we lose five in a row last year? Honest question

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And for those concerned about Quick’s injury history, he’s played 72, 68, and 64 games in 3 of the last 4 full seasons. I don’t equate his injuries to be much different than Bob’s previous groin issues except quick’s injuries are more recent.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I would say the closer it reaches to the TDL, the more of a distraction it becomes. Did we lose five in a row last year? Honest question

I read a piece that said the current losing streak is the team's longest since (not a direct quote) the end of January early February of 2018. I don't remember where (Dispatch or Athletic) nor the amount of games lost last year cited in the story. In a check of last season's results, the CBJ lost five straight from Jan. 30, 2018, through Feb. 9, 2018.

The five games that followed were two wins and three losses. In general, that stretch was bad.

2017-18 Columbus Blue Jackets Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I read a piece that said the current losing streak is the team's longest since (not a direct quote) the end of January early February of 2018. I don't remember where (Dispatch or Athletic) nor the amount of games lost last year cited in the story. In a check of last season's results, the CBJ lost five straight from Jan. 30, 2018, through Feb. 9, 2018.

The five games that followed were two wins and three losses. In general, that stretch was bad.

2017-18 Columbus Blue Jackets Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

Now what was their longest winning streak last year again? And what does all this MEAN?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Now what was their longest winning streak last year again? And what does all this MEAN?

I was trying to remember the latter myself, and I'm the one who brought it up...

Pretty sure I was suggesting that Torts calling two recent meetings didn't necessarily have to be on account of the Bob/Bread stuff. That it could just be about the team playing poorly and that the team's poor play also doesn't have to be attributable.

I hope I've made my point.

Reactions: Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad