Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
He can still be moved potentially to a team like Seattle as well when it comes down to it. I'm of the camp at this point that we won't be a cup contender until we have proven quality goaltending. If we risk unproven goalies being the guy I feel like we are throwing the next 2 years away. Quick has a 2.23 GAA and .922 SV% in his career in the playoffs. All at a lesser cap hit than Bob. This sounds like a win win for the next 2 years and we'll deal with the rest when it comes to it.

This so much.

Quick when healthy is a great bridge to VV/Tarasov/Elvis. If unhealthy you platoon him with Korpi.

Right now Korpi hasn't earned a starting job. Quick immediately makes us dangerous in the playoffs. And his contract is such that we can afford to use his later years for transitioning.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
After seeing Brian Boyle, a pending UFA third line center whose best days are well behind him -- get traded for a second round pick -- Panarin better be worth a roster player that can fit into our top-6, two first round picks, and a top prospect.

Bob should bring a decent bounty as well. Hopefully the prices keep going up... that felt like a lot for Boyle.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Panarin could make the difference between winning and losing the Cup for a legit contender. He is probably one of the most dynamics players to ever go on the market at the trade deadline. We should truly expect a legit haul for him from the Cup Contender who wants to rent him.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Panarin could make the difference between winning and losing the Cup for a legit contender. He is probably one of the most dynamics players to ever go on the market at the trade deadline. We should truly expect a legit haul for him from the Cup Contender who wants to rent him.

Yup, and I can think of more than a handful of contenders that would seriously benefit by ponying up for Panarin if they really want a shot at the Cup.

If I were Jarmo, I would be pressing Colorado reeeeeal hard for Ottawa's 1st round pick this year. That team is desperate for scoring outside of their big-3.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Apparently the price for Hayes is a 1st + A prospect + young roster player. Ouch.

Of course that should also mean Bread's value is sky high.

@Viqsi Why are the Preds looking for a 2C when they have Joey and Turris (returning soon right?)?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He can still be moved potentially to a team like Seattle as well when it comes down to it. I'm of the camp at this point that we won't be a cup contender until we have proven quality goaltending. If we risk unproven goalies being the guy I feel like we are throwing the next 2 years away. Quick has a 2.23 GAA and .922 SV% in his career in the playoffs. All at a lesser cap hit than Bob. This sounds like a win win for the next 2 years and we'll deal with the rest when it comes to it.

I don't disagree. I just would rather go with the young goaltenders and get the process of finding our next goaltender started next year, instead of starting it in a year or two.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
anyone else like to see a trade within the organization

Kukan back to Cleveland for Clendening

I thought Kukan played well when he played for Murray January 12th, the OT win in DC
but his last 2 games have been just terrible.

Clendening looked pretty good in pre-season, I'd like to see him get a shot if Murray
is out any more

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I thought Kukan played well when he played for Murray January 12th, the OT win in DC

Clendening looked pretty good in pre-season, I'd like to see him get a shot if Murray
is out any more
I would. While I like him, Kukan has been fighting it the past handful of games.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

is out any more

Clendening may have looked good in the preseason, but he looked completely lost in the few regular season games he played. He got beaten like a rented mule on one play in particular (I want to say against Florida, may be wrong). I think he's a classic 'tweener.

Kukan struggled a bit defensively last night, but it's hard to coach his skating and skill with the puck. He picked up two assists.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Clendening may have looked good in the preseason, but he looked completely lost in the few regular season games he played. He got beaten like a rented mule on one play in particular (I want to say against Florida, may be wrong). I think he's a classic 'tweener.

Kukan struggled a bit defensively last night, but it's hard to coach his skating and skill with the puck. He picked up two assists.
Defense first, look at what Torts has turned Harrington into, guy is pretty solid in his own zone. Kukan got used all night in the d zone and it was blatantly obvious every time he was on the ice. Our D core is pretty good when Murray is in there and the team is playing with confidence.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Apparently the price for Hayes is a 1st + A prospect + young roster player. Ouch.

Value is only determined after a deal is struck. Personally I don't think GM's pay that for Hayes and I'd be surprised if Bread returns that much.

In both cases you'd be renting a guy who will most likely be hard to re-sign. Non-contenders aren't going to be interested (with possible exception of Florida in Bread's case) and contenders aren't giving up a key young roster player for a rental.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

@Viqsi Why are the Preds looking for a 2C when they have Joey and Turris (returning soon right?)?
Because some fans are disgruntled with Turris and singled him out for poor playoff performances of the team in general.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Wonder what Vegas would want in addition to Panarin to get Karlsson back. Wild Bill has come back down to earth and looks like a 50 point guy. I think he would still look great on our 2nd line center and has good relationships with the team and coaches.

Vegas obviously values Karlsson's center play but maybe could view Panarin as key to making the Finals again. Add a good pick or prospect for when Panarin goes to FA. It may be worth the gamble to "sell high" on him if the Golden Knights are sold on their center prospects and Stastny recovering.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Wonder what Vegas would want in addition to Panarin to get Karlsson back. Wild Bill has come back down to earth and looks like a 50 point guy. I think he would still look great on our 2nd line center and has good relationships with the team and coaches.

Vegas obviously values Karlsson's center play but maybe could view Panarin as key to making the Finals again. Add a good pick or prospect for when Panarin goes to FA. It may be worth the gamble to "sell high" on him if the Golden Knights are sold on their center prospects and Stastny recovering.
Give up assets to get the guy we gave up assets to get rid of? I'll pass. Karlsson is better than he was when he left, but I'm still not sure if he's done coming back to Earth yet, so I'd rather see what else is available.

Reactions: Sore Loser

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Give up assets to get the guy we gave up assets to get rid of? I'll pass. Karlsson is better than he was when he left, but I'm still not sure if he's done coming back to Earth yet, so I'd rather see what else is available.

I mean I get it. The optics aren't great when you trade a player like Panarin for Wild Bill who you gave away 2 years ago. But he has 16g and 17a this year which is leaps and bounds better than what we have behind Dubois down the middle.

I'd go down that road if possible. Would Bill want to come back after being cast off? He would also be an RFA so he would be here a few years.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Good read from Custance (Athletic) on what makes Panarin the rare rental commodity and what he views as the top trade destinations:

“If you’re a GM, you want as much assurance as possible that a payoff is coming, that a player will fit. Some general managers hedge their bets by making their moves early and allowing time to be part of the equation.

In the rare case, the type of player can be its own form of certainty. The player is so good, plays a brand of hockey that is so conducive to success that you’re lowering your risk considerably be making him the target.
Artemi Panarin is one of those players.

“His advantage, and the reason why that’s a pretty good bet, is because he has a way that elevates other people,” said one coach of Panarin. “The issue that you run into with players who struggle with new situations is that they’re more reliant on the chemistry they’re going to have with whomever they’re going to play with. In the NHL, situation is very important for players. Not many players can outperform their situation. With Panarin, he can.”

From the perspective of a potential teammate or someone who has to defend Panarin, his varied skillset is what makes him so dangerous.”

His top 5 were Preds, Leafs, Bruins, Flames, Islanders.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Good read from Custance (Athletic) on what makes Panarin the rare rental commodity and what he views as the top trade destinations:

“If you’re a GM, you want as much assurance as possible that a payoff is coming, that a player will fit. Some general managers hedge their bets by making their moves early and allowing time to be part of the equation.

In the rare case, the type of player can be its own form of certainty. The player is so good, plays a brand of hockey that is so conducive to success that you’re lowering your risk considerably be making him the target.
Artemi Panarin is one of those players.

“His advantage, and the reason why that’s a pretty good bet, is because he has a way that elevates other people,” said one coach of Panarin. “The issue that you run into with players who struggle with new situations is that they’re more reliant on the chemistry they’re going to have with whomever they’re going to play with. In the NHL, situation is very important for players. Not many players can outperform their situation. With Panarin, he can.”

From the perspective of a potential teammate or someone who has to defend Panarin, his varied skillset is what makes him so dangerous.”

His top 5 were Preds, Leafs, Bruins, Flames, Islanders.

I'm not sure what the Leafs would have to offer since they don't have their 1st round pick this season unless it is the 1st in 20 and Nazem Kadri or Kapanen. Kadri's numbers are down a touch since he's essentially a 3rd line center there. There are going to need every penny they can get if they believe they can keep Marner with Tavares, Mathews, Nylander money along with Marleau still on the books. They woud clearly need to move salary if they wanted to take Panarin since they have some limited cap space to work with (@4 million) for this season if they wanted him purely as a rental.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Very doubtful he would be traded to an Eastern Conference playoff team. I mean talk about a kick in the balls that would be to play against him this season.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
On one hand it seems like a typical Jackets move. When they need to make a move they tend to go back to guys they know. Not a bad thing, just they tend to like the Devil they know.

What is Bills contract situation he was a RFA last season and made $5.25M this year. Is he RFA again this summer or UFA?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He's an RFA per Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

On track for 51 points this year. So he's probably a 40 to 60 point guy for Vegas in their system. Who knows if he could do that here?

(MOD EDIT: fixed link)
I think Karlsson's game is quite flexible so he is a low risk acquisition. He would likely fit on any of our top-3 lines (splitting faceoffs with PLD or centering Foligno/Bjorkstrand or centering Jenner/Anderson). He can also play on the PP half wall and on the PK.

There is no guarantee but I think his flexibility and versatility means he would be pretty safe.

He also isn't a 10 million dollar guy. Acquiring him (RFA at the end of the season) likely takes time and money away from Duclair or Wennberg. The team can still look for a Panarin replacement who they will pay handsomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad