Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Go big or go big.

I'd like to weigh in. I've been lurking around a bit since my frustration boiled over in the playoffs (see: insanity)... I have gotten back into the team as they continue to grow. Particularly after getting to see them in Raleigh a few weeks ago. It piqued my interest again.

Go big and buy. Either go out and get a Tarasenko, Mark Stone, Duchene, whatever it may be. Personally I'd be hopeful in that specific order- Tarasenko is a game breaker, even if Panarin walked he would give us a legitimate top line threat. If he gets Panarin to stay, even better. What would it take? No doubt a quality, young piece, plus a little more.

Werenski + Milano + probably a pick. Too rich for your blood? Let me introduce you to plan B.

Mark Stone should intrigue most of us. He's not a game breaking player like Tarasenko or Duchene (more on him to follow), but he is a quality winger that would fit right into our second line, quite nicely. Let's not forget that acquiring Vanek last year, caused Wennberg to figure it out for a time. Stone is a similar player to Vanek, but a huge upgrade as an all-around player. He's a big body that can finish around the net, but may also be the best defensive winger in the entire league. I think he's tremendously underrated and might give us a great fit on the new-look second line. He's a little slow afoot, so picture this lineup with a little speed on the other side:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Stone-Wennberg-Anderson
Foligno-Jenner-Duclair
Sedlak/Hannikainen-Dubinsky/Nash-Bjorkstrand

The best part about Mark Stone: He's a UFA, so he will likely come cheaper. The Sens are going to be in full rebuild mode, so I don't see why we would give up a core roster piece like we would have to for Tarasenko.

Milano + 1st, or Milano + 2nd + Carlsson, might be enough.

The third player we should be going hard at is Matt Duchene. Contrary to what I've read so much of, I don't really feel like we need to upgrade Wennberg all that much. Let me qualify: I cannot stand watching him play right now either, he's been easily the worst forward on the team for the recent games I've seen. But, let's not forget that just two years ago, he was a 60 point player and centering our top line. We have made the mistake of dealing away quality youth and giving up on them too soon before (see a guy whose name I see a lot on this thread as a potential trade target). I think Wennberg can still be a damn productive player; the size, skill, and speed are all there. They just need to simplify things for him and get him some confidence. It can be fixed.

Duchene would be an amazing addition, but rather than at the expense of Wennberg, we should be thinking in addition to. Like Stone, he should be available for some futures. But, as a center and a higher end talent, he'll be more expensive.

Foudy/Texier + 1st + 3rd + B level prospect. I really think that will be the asking price for this player at the deadline. Ottawa gave up way too much for him.

That's the long-winded version from me. In addition to acquiring one of these players, I think the only thing for this franchise to do is cut ties with Bobrovsky. Recoup some of the futures we would give up for a player like this, bring in a veteran backup, and move on. Watching the team thrive with Korpisalo in net the last few weeks makes it brutally obvious to anyone that has ever been around a hockey team: the Bob situation is a distraction, no matter how much they deny it. Korpisalo might not be the answer long-term, but he at least deserves a shot in the immediate future. I say that as one of his biggest critics. A veteran backup/B starter might be able to help us get over the playoff hump this year, and they can reassess in the offseason.

Lastly, go big... the other way.

Should they fail to get a difference maker at the deadline, I think it's time to sell high on Panarin. As it stands, unless the roster gets better, this is, once again, maybe the sixth or seventh best team in the conference. Get some more futures, continue to build around PLD, Jones, Werenski, and the rest of the core, and try again in 2-3 years. Even without Panarin I think they have fallen into enough points that they might still be a playoff team this year.

Maybe consider trading high on Murray also... I may be one of his biggest supporters, but we have some real depth on defense and his injury history might make that an easier decision.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Werenski for Nylander plus. Nylander would play center here , and give us a legit 2, and 3rd lines , which right now , are a mess

As somebody who lives in Columbus but watches 75+ Leafs games a year I can tell you Nylander is not a center. Babcock has tried him at center for extended periods of time over the last three seasons with no success because his defensive play just isn't good enough for an NHL center and probably never will be.

Reactions: Viqsi

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Should they fail to get a difference maker at the deadline, I think it's time to sell high on Panarin. As it stands, unless the roster gets better, this is, once again, maybe the sixth or seventh best team in the conference. Get some more futures, continue to build around PLD, Jones, Werenski, and the rest of the core, and try again in 2-3 years. Even without Panarin I think they have fallen into enough points that they might still be a playoff team this year.

Maybe consider trading high on Murray also... I may be one of his biggest supporters, but we have some real depth on defense and his injury history might make that an easier decision.

:thumbd: to the last 2 options.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
SL, you are wrong about Wennberg. His good season is the outlier. He stinks.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The idea of waiting another "2 or 3 years" for someone who has been paying season ticket holder prices for 20 years is nauseating.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
"The sad fact is the Jacket's have 4 terrible contracts they are stuck with, and all of them are under contract for at least 2 more years."

None of these contracts are deal breakers. The truth about the CBJ today is the same as it was on day one. We lack the ability to consistantly draft or develop high end talent so we're always throwing straw into the air hopping some of it leads to an elite player.

Two years ago I was actually excited about the future of the CBJ with Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Werenski, Jones, et al. Most of those have left us shaking our heads as to what happened.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"The sad fact is the Jacket's have 4 terrible contracts they are stuck with, and all of them are under contract for at least 2 more years."

None of these contracts are deal breakers. The truth about the CBJ today is the same as it was on day one. We lack the ability to consistantly draft or develop high end talent so we're always throwing straw into the air hopping some of it leads to an elite player.

Two years ago I was actually excited about the future of the CBJ with Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Werenski, Jones, et al. Most of those have left us shaking our heads as to what happened.
Today I learned that Werenski and Jones are disappointments and guys like PLD, Nutivaara, Murray, and Anderson don't exist and perhaps never did exist.

Come on, folks. It's like some of you go out of your way to feel miserable.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sorry for the long post. Also sorry for going berserk after game 5 of the playoffs. Too much passion :laugh:

To save server space, I quoted this one rather than your dissertation. :laugh: Welcome back SL miss your posts.

In your lineups you had Stone at LW. You think he can make the switch from RW?

Reactions: Sore Loser

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Well yeah, but Tarasenko isn't one of those guys.
How do you replace Panarin then? It's all great and dandy wanting to hang on to Werenski but if you can't replace him with a forward, holding on to a good defenceman is pretty pointless.
And PLEASE do not tell me our offense is "one of the top teams in the league" so we don't need him. Come playoff time, this team does not score enough goals (aka no game changers).

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Go big or go big.

I'd like to weigh in. I've been lurking around a bit since my frustration boiled over in the playoffs (see: insanity)... I have gotten back into the team as they continue to grow. Particularly after getting to see them in Raleigh a few weeks ago. It piqued my interest again.

Go big and buy. Either go out and get a Tarasenko, Mark Stone, Duchene, whatever it may be. Personally I'd be hopeful in that specific order- Tarasenko is a game breaker, even if Panarin walked he would give us a legitimate top line threat. If he gets Panarin to stay, even better. What would it take? No doubt a quality, young piece, plus a little more.

Werenski + Milano + probably a pick. Too rich for your blood? Let me introduce you to plan B.

Mark Stone should intrigue most of us. He's not a game breaking player like Tarasenko or Duchene (more on him to follow), but he is a quality winger that would fit right into our second line, quite nicely. Let's not forget that acquiring Vanek last year, caused Wennberg to figure it out for a time. Stone is a similar player to Vanek, but a huge upgrade as an all-around player. He's a big body that can finish around the net, but may also be the best defensive winger in the entire league. I think he's tremendously underrated and might give us a great fit on the new-look second line. He's a little slow afoot, so picture this lineup with a little speed on the other side:

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Stone-Wennberg-Anderson
Foligno-Jenner-Duclair
Sedlak/Hannikainen-Dubinsky/Nash-Bjorkstrand

The best part about Mark Stone: He's a UFA, so he will likely come cheaper. The Sens are going to be in full rebuild mode, so I don't see why we would give up a core roster piece like we would have to for Tarasenko.

Milano + 1st, or Milano + 2nd + Carlsson, might be enough.

The third player we should be going hard at is Matt Duchene. Contrary to what I've read so much of, I don't really feel like we need to upgrade Wennberg all that much. Let me qualify: I cannot stand watching him play right now either, he's been easily the worst forward on the team for the recent games I've seen. But, let's not forget that just two years ago, he was a 60 point player and centering our top line. We have made the mistake of dealing away quality youth and giving up on them too soon before (see a guy whose name I see a lot on this thread as a potential trade target). I think Wennberg can still be a damn productive player; the size, skill, and speed are all there. They just need to simplify things for him and get him some confidence. It can be fixed.

Duchene would be an amazing addition, but rather than at the expense of Wennberg, we should be thinking in addition to. Like Stone, he should be available for some futures. But, as a center and a higher end talent, he'll be more expensive.

Foudy/Texier + 1st + 3rd + B level prospect. I really think that will be the asking price for this player at the deadline. Ottawa gave up way too much for him.

That's the long-winded version from me. In addition to acquiring one of these players, I think the only thing for this franchise to do is cut ties with Bobrovsky. Recoup some of the futures we would give up for a player like this, bring in a veteran backup, and move on. Watching the team thrive with Korpisalo in net the last few weeks makes it brutally obvious to anyone that has ever been around a hockey team: the Bob situation is a distraction, no matter how much they deny it. Korpisalo might not be the answer long-term, but he at least deserves a shot in the immediate future. I say that as one of his biggest critics. A veteran backup/B starter might be able to help us get over the playoff hump this year, and they can reassess in the offseason.

I like the go big attitude, but any deal that leaves us with Wennberg as our second center, is a huge fail. People need to quit looking at him, with the pieces of skill he may have, because he has no heart/ no compete level, and is what he is, a huge waste of money. Heck, Stenlund has been more noticable than Wennberg, and maybe they are evaluating him for that #3 center spot. I would definitely trade Werenski, and Milano for Tarasenko. As for Stone, and Duchene, I dont think they will come cheap, most likely a bidding war will ensue. I would imagine the Islanders are looking for the same thing we are .

Reactions: Sore Loser

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
How do you replace Panarin then? It's all great and dandy wanting to hang on to Werenski but if you can't replace him with a forward, holding on to a good defenceman is pretty pointless.
And PLEASE do not tell me our offense is "one of the top teams in the league" so we don't need him. Come playoff time, this team does not score enough goals (aka no game changers).
Many here dont realize how pedestrian our forward group is. At some point, like Nashville, you need to flip a big piece , to rebalance your team. Werenski , will be that piece. Our defense, as constructed, Jones, Murray, Nutivaara, and Savard, provide plenty of offense. If you get a Tarasenko/Duchene/ Nylander type talent in return for Zach, your in a much better spot. Our defense actually needs a mean, gritty , stay at home defenseman, which could be aquired at the deadline, fairly easy. You have Garikov coming over for next season as well.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Easy, you don't replace Panarin.

Look at what the Islanders did when they lost Tavares. They didn't trade for anybody who could be a Tavares, they continued building from within and changed things that weren't working on their roster. Yes, they had Barzal in the wings to take over the "top dog" spot, and we have that too with Dubois/Atkinson/Jones. We won't/can't replace Panarin, but we can still get a solid player with the cash, and continue building towards something. With Panarin and Tarasenko, we still aren't beating Washington, Toronto, or Tampa in the 7 game series.

If you can keep Panarin you do, but if you can't that doesn't mean you have to trade some of your best and youngest assets to "replace" him. We didn't replace Rick Nash when we traded him, and things worked out pretty well.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Many here dont realize how pedestrian our forward group is. At some point, like Nashville, you need to flip a big piece , to rebalance your team. Werenski , will be that piece. Our defense, as constructed, Jones, Murray, Nutivaara, and Savard, provide plenty of offense. If you get a Tarasenko/Duchene/ Nylander type talent in return for Zach, your in a much better spot. Our defense actually needs a mean, gritty , stay at home defenseman, which could be aquired at the deadline, fairly easy. You have Garikov coming over for next season as well.

Cam, Panarin Dubois all on pace for 30+ goal seasons. Will at the very least score 25+ if they stay healthy.

Foligno and Anderson will likely have 20+ goal seasons.

Jenner is likely to approach 20 goals.

Bjorkstrand and Duclair have more to give, and between them they will have more than 20 goals.

Jones and Werenski will have 10+ goal seasons again. Maybe more? (I know you said forwards)

That is not pedestrian.

Reactions: Viqsi

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Cam, Panarin Dubois all on pace for 30+ goal seasons. Will at the very least score 25+ if they stay healthy.

Foligno and Anderson will likely have 20+ goal seasons.

Jenner is likely to approach 20 goals.

Bjorkstrand and Duclair have more to give, and between them they will have more than 20 goals.

Jones and Werenski will have 10+ goal seasons again. Maybe more? (I know you said forwards)

That is not pedestrian.
We started out hot, and have come back to earth lately. Of those players you listed, only Panarin/ Cam , can create theirown offense. We are most likely losing Panarin. We currently have one functional scoring line. We have very little skill in players that can break down a defense. Lots of big, straight ahead type players in Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, Dubinsky. Team speed is a huge issue.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
We started out hot, and have come back to earth lately. Of those players you listed, only Panarin/ Cam , can create theirown offense. We are most likely losing Panarin. We currently have one functional scoring line. We have very little skill in players that can break down a defense. Lots of big, straight ahead type players in Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, Dubinsky. Team speed is a huge issue.

Not debating that. But all of these guys aside from Panarin, Dubois, and Duclair were around 2 years ago and that team did fine with creating offense as a team.

Our offense would look even better if our PP was at least decent.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Of those players you listed, only Panarin/ Cam , can create theirown offense.
Anderson doesn't create scoring opportunities? Dubois doesn't create scoring opportunities? Hell, Jenner's been a shockingly good playmaker this year so far.

There's room for improvement, but this "woe is us" stuff is getting a little silly.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Anderson doesn't create scoring opportunities? Dubois doesn't create scoring opportunities? Hell, Jenner's been a shockingly good playmaker this year so far.

There's room for improvement, but this "woe is us" stuff is getting a little silly.
We have one scoring line currently ? And that's not open for debate. We have One dynamic player, that is a huge reason Cam is having the season hes having, and he will be gone either in a few days, or after this season. Team has a huge void in highly skilled players. No team in recent history has won the cup, without having at least 2 elite offensive players. Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, yes they are all solid, straight ahead players. They aren't going to break a defense down with their skating , or skill.

Last year, against the Caps, after game 2, Trotz changed strategies, and brought his defense, out into our defenders face, taking away, their time and space. The jackets forwards couldn't create offense. Since the majority of our offense funnels thru our defenders, this became easy for them to defend.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We have one scoring line currently ? And that's not open for debate. We have One dynamic player, that is a huge reason Cam is having the season hes having, and he will be gone either in a few days, or after this season. Team has a huge void in highly skilled players. No team in recent history has won the cup, without having at least 2 elite offensive players. Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, yes they are all solid, straight ahead players. They aren't going to break a defense down with their skating , or skill.

Last year, against the Caps, after game 2, Trotz changed strategies, and brought his defense, out into our defenders face, taking away, their time and space. The jackets forwards couldn't create offense. Since the majority of our offense funnels thru our defenders, this became easy for them to defend.
Ah. So you belong to the "everything good in our offense is because of Panarin" school of thinking - a philosophy closely related to that of "only highlight reel plays get anything done".

Pro tip: Dubois has developed further since then, and Cam has always been a threat; he's just showing it more because folks are overfocusing on Panarin.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Ah. So you belong to the "everything good in our offense is because of Panarin" school of thinking - a philosophy closely related to that of "only highlight reel plays get anything done".

Pro tip: Dubois has developed further since then, and Cam has always been a threat; he's just showing it more because folks are overfocusing on Panarin.
No, I belong to the crowd of we struggled to score 2 goals for a big chunk of last season, and if you look at how we are currently constructed, our offense is set up to run thru the blueline. Against good teams, they will extend out, take away your time and space. We have a very slow forward group, that gets exposed against really quick teams, like Toronto, Tampa. We have a poor passing team. Look at it this way. When Anthony duclair, who cant stay in the lineup, is one of your top 6 forwards, there is a problem. Yes , we have a very deep team, of some very solid players, I wont dispute that. But lets be real, in our top 6, we have 3 legitimate top 6 players, maybe 4 if you include Anderson.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I have no idea what Jarmo is thinking but I have a gut feeling somethings gonna change real soon (is roster frozen during Bye week). Some big piece for us is coming or going waaayyy before the TDL.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad