Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops218

Apr 9, 2018
This team is gonna tank if you like it or not. There’s no one to rebuild around at the moment. We have average at best players. Let’s rebuild around Suter and Praises contracts lmfao. Let’s just twist up a JJ and tune into the Jets making it to the cup next year. In the meantime let’s get ready for no 1st round playoff exits until at least 2026

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
People underestimate how easy it's going to be to LTIR them to Arizona/Carolina/etc. through trade.

You mean you think it would be easy? Or you think people overestimate the ease?

Right now, it's literally impossible for Arizona to do another deal like that - the Coyotes are at the 50 contract limit. They're also a team that hopes - I assume - to contend in the next few years, and wouldn't want more dead cap or contract constraints. Carolina is at zero risk of not hitting the floor - they'll have big hits coming up for their contending core - and I'm quite sure their owner didn't get rich by wasting millions of dollars.

Of course there might be another team that does need to hit the floor - feel free to mention one - but I would also assume the league takes a dim view of these transactions and how stupid and amateurish it makes them look. The NHL would bend over backwards to help the Blackhawks and Coyotes both for obvious reasons. The Parise/Suter deals were so bad the NHL immediately made them against the rules going forward and we're about to see why.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
You mean you think it would be easy? Or you think people overestimate the ease?

Right now, it's literally impossible for Arizona to do another deal like that - the Coyotes are at the 50 contract limit. They're also a team that hopes - I assume - to contend in the next few years, and wouldn't want more dead cap or contract constraints. Carolina is at zero risk of not hitting the floor - they'll have big hits coming up for their contending core - and I'm quite sure their owner didn't get rich by wasting millions of dollars.

Of course there might be another team that does need to hit the floor - feel free to mention one - but I would also assume the league takes a dim view of these transactions and how stupid and amateurish it makes them look. The NHL would bend over backwards to help the Blackhawks and Coyotes both for obvious reasons. The Parise/Suter deals were so bad the NHL immediately made them against the rules going forward and we're about to see why.
Do you think OP meant the Wild can just LTIRetire and trade them this summer? We are talking like 3-4 years down the road here when they might actually LTIRetire as their actual paid drops like a rock and their remaining term won't handcuff teams that aren't in a long term rebuild.

It's also presumptuous that the league hates the Parise/Suter deals but was fine the Hossa's. The reality is they will make the long contracts go away as quietly as possible. It would be idiotic to start punishing teams after years of letting others get away free, and it would hurt the competition level of the league as a whole. They already sent their message by changing the CBA.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Do you think OP meant the Wild can just LTIRetire and trade them this summer? We are talking like 3-4 years down the road here when they might actually LTIRetire as their actual paid drops like a rock and their remaining term won't handcuff teams that aren't in a long term rebuild.

It's also presumptuous that the league hates the Parise/Suter deals but was fine the Hossa's. The reality is they will make the long contracts go away as quietly as possible. It would be idiotic to start punishing teams after years of letting others get away free, and it would hurt the competition level of the league as a whole. They already sent their message by changing the CBA.

I really didn't know - thought it was a possibly misstatement - but I definitely disagree that it will be "easy" to fix. I do agree that the league didn't like the Hossa deal - and didn't probably like this trade either. Makes sense that they don't want to crush a team but you have rules because otherwise you look like a clown league.

There's this too: Suter may need LTIR this season, Parise may need it soon. Trading two of these guys poses all kinds of problems and is self-evidently twice as hard. Sure, Ottawa may soon be in the same situation as Arizona was, but there may also be a new CBA sooner than 3-4 years and the current LTIR loophole is one major source of consternation. Maybe they make teams suck it up when they massively overpay / over-extend guys?

Plus, you're always giving up something of value to get out from under these deals, and that bleeds your depth.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
People underestimate how easy it's going to be to LTIR them to Arizona/Carolina/etc. through trade.

I have a feeling that may be a loophole they close finally in the next CBA. Which I imagine will lead to another lockout for Olympics included and the other assortment of things the players are going to demand.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
According to reputable news in Finland, Teemu Pulkkinen is going to KHL team Dinamo Minsk.

(He was discussed in the previous thread, even though he was in Vegas).

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Any word on Dumba/Zucker? Growing concern there...

As always, deadlines spur action. Both will sign multi-year deals an hour or two before their hearing.

At this point, both sides are waiting for the other to give a little more, they'll split the difference.

If there was something to be concerned about (ie Dumba/Zucker asking for 7 million, or the team offering only 4 million), rumors of the wide gap would be floating out by now.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Yep, this is exactly what I was alluding to.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I really didn't know - thought it was a possibly misstatement - but I definitely disagree that it will be "easy" to fix. I do agree that the league didn't like the Hossa deal - and didn't probably like this trade either. Makes sense that they don't want to crush a team but you have rules because otherwise you look like a clown league.

There's this too: Suter may need LTIR this season, Parise may need it soon. Trading two of these guys poses all kinds of problems and is self-evidently twice as hard. Sure, Ottawa may soon be in the same situation as Arizona was, but there may also be a new CBA sooner than 3-4 years and the current LTIR loophole is one major source of consternation. Maybe they make teams suck it up when they massively overpay / over-extend guys?

Plus, you're always giving up something of value to get out from under these deals, and that bleeds your depth.

Yeah, I worded it weird. I couldn't figure out if overestimate or underestimate was the correct wording lol.

I think it'll be easier than we think to dump their contracts in the future. However, that is dependant on the CBA remaining the same in regards to LTIR. If they get rid of that loophole, then I agree that it'll be a really tricky situation. I think the only change they could make would be to force them into retirement, which the NHLPA wouldn't allow. I have to read up into the LTIR clause a bit more.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Suter comes back to anything close that he was before and if there aren't any lingering issues, he'll very likely never be a "dump" contract. He's going to be a legit top pair D for most (if not all) of the remainder of his deal. And if he's not, at worst he'll be a good 2nd pair, and who knows what the cap will be if/when that happens.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Get Zucker to do a sign and trade of 6x4 with CBJ for Panarin. Throw them a D prospect and low pick, make it cond. 2nd if he re-signs next year they aren't going to get many offer better than that so it could at least be a starting point. Sell Panarin on a long term contract with the mentality that he can be the guy for our team scoring and can help Kaprizon/Sokolov/ and Lodnia all looking like talented players find the confidence to develop that skill.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Get Zucker to do a sign and trade of 6x4 with CBJ for Panarin. Throw them a D prospect and low pick, make it cond. 2nd if he re-signs next year they aren't going to get many offer better than that so it could at least be a starting point. Sell Panarin on a long term contract with the mentality that he can be the guy for our team scoring and can help Kaprizon/Sokolov/ and Lodnia all looking like talented players find the confidence to develop that skill.

Zucker+Belpedio+2nd is prob not enough for Panarin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad