Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Russians want to play in Moscow or Leningrad, sorry, St. Petersburg, not in some town in the middle of the woods.
Heck, even most soccer clubs have all their training facilities in Moscow and travel to Siberia or wherever to play their „homegames“.
If you don‘t play in NY or LA you have something to explain at home.
A different kind of russian factor.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
All that's been reported is Panarin is unsure where he wants to sign. It's a big decision that involves 8-9 years of his life and basically 100% of the rest of his career. One can certainly see why he might not want to sign in Columbus after playing in Chicago but the rest is pure speculation.

Lumping 200 million people into one category is a repulsive thing to do though.

And what package could the Wild plausibly offer for one year of Panarin that actually makes sense for what this team is and what the Jackets could get elsewhere? Kunin, at least one or two other prospects, 2019 1st, maybe even the 2020 1st? Bad bet.

Reactions: Monkeypox and grN1g

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I've said this before, but I would offer Nino. He's under contract, scores goals, and is a LW. Then I would spend all year trying to sell Panarin on Minnesota. Still a chance he walks away, but maybe the team goes someplace in the spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mancini79 and grN1g

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Its a gamble but we have literally had no luck trying to get a player of Panarin's skill & natural talent. WE all howled when we played it safe rather than gamble in a big name player trade before these past few years, lets just go for it at this point... I mean in terms of this roster of core players this is probably the last year anyway before more trades come. Like schultzfan said with him on this team who knows what we are lookin like come end of the season.

Edit: and if we are talking about trying to sell Panarin on Minnesota, I think just like most players we aren't a "for sure" not interested. We could potentially sign him I believe and I still believe another big selling point could be the fact we have some talented young russians coming down the pipeline, he can really be a huge factor in their development.

besides its not like he cant go hang in flordia or wherever alot of the top russian players have their homes in the off-season. I doubt we would have any problems how he wants to spend his off time and training.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've said this before, but I would offer Nino. He's under contract, scores goal, and is a LW. Then I would spend all year trying to sell Panarin on Minnesota. Still a chance he walks away, but maybe the team goes someplace in the spring.
I don't think this is likely, but if Zucker did insist on using the threat of a 1-year contract in arbitration as leverage to get $6m+ maybe Zucker for Panarin makes sense?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I don't think this is likely, but if Zucker did insist on using the threat of a 1-year contract in arbitration as leverage to get $6m+ maybe Zucker for Panarin makes sense?
That could work too if Zucker tells Columbus he would sign long-term with them. It gets tricky if, as Russo said on a recent podcast, Zucker is thinking either (1) I'll sign for reasonable $ if I get term from Minnesota because my wife wants to stay here or (2) I'm going to max $ with Vegas at free agency because that is killing 2 birds with 1 stone for me.

Reactions: Mancini79

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Say if Zucker and Wild don't get an agreement the Arb. presents a 1year or 2year options for us to choose correct?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Twins Cities aren't NYC (which is where I live) but they are also not Columbus. There is more going on in the Cities than central Ohio. This is wishful thinking, but maybe Panarin makes friends with the Wild's young core and sees the organization bringing in guys like Kaprisov and Sokolov in the next couple of years.

Reactions: grN1g

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That could work too if Zucker tells Columbus he would sign long-term with them. It gets tricky if, as Russo said on a recent podcast, Zucker is thinking either (1) I'll sign for reasonable $ if I get term from Minnesota because my wife wants to stay here or (2) I'm going to max $ with Vegas at free agency because that is killing 2 birds with 1 stone for me.
Zucker wouldn't necessarily have to clear anything with Columbus first. If we knew that he wanted (say) $6.5m x 7 years and Columbus was okay with that contract, it seems like a sign-and-trade would be the easiest option. I'm sure it's higher than they'd like, but under the circumstances a 30 goal LW on a long-term deal is far from the worst thing that could happen to them.

Realistically though Zucker and the Wild will meet in the middle sometime next week.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Gotcha. So since Zucker made the election we can probably assume it'll be 1-year.
He'll be 27 and a UFA next year no matter what so I think we can probably assume the Wild should absolutely not take the arbitration outcome.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He'll be 27 and a UFA next year no matter what so I think we can probably assume the Wild should absolutely not take the arbitration outcome.
They shouldn't, but in the off chance that Zucker is really hell-bent on going to UFA next year there's not a lot the Wild can do to stop him. The most Fenton could do is try to trade him before the hearing, but the team acquiring him would have to know they'd be in the same situation.

This is all a bit like worrying about offer-sheets though. Possible, but unlikely.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It depends on who elected to go to arbitration. If the player elected, they select the term. If the team elected, they select the term. Can be 1 or 2 years.

You have it backwards. Club elects Arbitration, Player selects term. Player selects Arbitration, Club selects term. Unless the player is within 1 year of UFA, than it's automatically a 1 year term.

I'm pretty sure there's only a 1-year option, but I could be wrong.

You're correct, it's only the 1 year option because Zucker is eligible for Group 3 free agency (UFA) next July.

Reactions: Bazeek

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
You have it backwards. Club elects Arbitration, Player selects term. Player selects Arbitration, Club selects term. Unless the player is within 1 year of UFA, than it's automatically a 1 year term.

You're correct, it's only the 1 year option because Zucker is eligible for Group 3 free agency (UFA) next July.
Sorry, hadn't had my coffee yet. Yes - what you described is correct. It's what I meant to say.

Reactions: Bazeek

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Russo reporting that the Wild are offering somewhere between $5.25M and $5.75M and Zucker is asking for over $6M. I would rather trade him than give him anywhere near $6M a year long term. Really bad feeling about this one.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Russo reporting that the Wild are offering somewhere between $5.25M and $5.75M and Zucker is asking for over $6M. I would rather trade him than give him anywhere near $6M a year long term. Really bad feeling about this one.

This is where I've been all off-season with Zucker's next deal.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If it does require $6m+ he should still be tradeable, but they'll have to act quickly. No doubt he'll want no-trade protection as well, but as far as I know the earliest they can start is next summer.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If it does require $6m+ he should still be tradeable, but they'll have to act quickly. No doubt he'll want no-trade protection as well, but as far as I know the earliest they can start is next summer.
I don't even like the fact that they're discussing the numbers that they are. Fenton had to know all of this before the draft, and if so, Zucker should've been gone a while ago.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't even like the fact that they're discussing the numbers that they are. Fenton had to know all of this before the draft, and if so, Zucker should've been gone a while ago.

The $7m/yr deals handed out this off-season reset the bar a little bit for Zucker's agent, I'm guessing. I've also been on the trade Zucker train all off-season, so there is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad