Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
33 goals, 2nd highest on the team and the same number of goals that Tarasenko scored. 12 goals more than the next highest Wild player. Great community guy, who wants to be here. A fast player in a league that is trending towards speed. Improved his goals and points for 3 years in a row. No reason he can't go 35g and 35a next year, maybe more.

And most here seem to want to trade him.

These are the kinds of players you want on your team. We need more players like him.

I hope they give him 5-6 million and term (4-5years would be perfect).

He'll be the most exciting, dynamic player on the team over the next 3-4 years.

My contrary opinion.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
33 goals, 2nd highest on the team and the same number of goals that Tarasenko scored. 12 goals more than the next highest Wild player. Great community guy, who wants to be here. A fast player in a league that is trending towards speed. Improved his goals and points for 3 years in a row. No reason he can't go 35g and 35a next year, maybe more.

These are the kinds of players you want on your team. We need more players like him.

My contrary opinion.
Zucker is a point a to point b speed guy. Outside of that, he's pretty limited. That's not dynamic in my book.

Dynamic players have multiple skillsets that scare defenders. Zucker doesn't have that.

I would not be very comfortable giving him Dumba's contract at all.

Call up Columbus and inquire about Panarin.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Zucker is a point a to point b speed guy. Outside of that, he's pretty limited. That's not dynamic in my book.

Dynamic players have multiple skillsets that scare defenders. Zucker doesn't have that.

I would not be very comfortable giving him Dumba's contract at all.

Call up Columbus and inquire about Panarin.

I've played D all my life. Nothing scares a Dman more than speed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I've played D all my life. Nothing scares a Dman more than speed.
You can account for speed with good positioning. If a player with a bit less speed comes at you with a LOT better puck skills, vision, passing on the rush, you're in a LOT more danger. That player is much less predictable, and positioning alone is likely not enough, you won't likely be able to anticipate the play as well.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

My contrary opinion.
If I thought he was likely to put up 30+ goals and 60+ points again, I would be right there with you on all of your points. Zucker has never been worth even half of that prior to this past season.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Like I said, contrary opinion. I think the Wild will sign him and then we'll get to see who's right.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I don't think he has the consistency throughout his career to demand $6M+

I'd like to cap it at $5.5M but this is coming from a guy whose wanted to trade him since the season ended.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
yeah I can't really get on board for singing him to a 5-6 mil per year deal long term. maybe something like 2 or 3 years at 5mil but even that scares me. 4x4 if he wants to stay is more like it. or a 1 yr arbitration? our team is in limbo right now and I can't see him in a top six role going forward on our, good enough to get to the playoffs but not good enough to win Wild team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Zucker is a top 6 player. I don’t think that’s even debatable at this point. $5.25-5.5m is just about right for him for 2-3 years.
Zucker was clearly a top 6 player last year. Any other year of his career would be highly debatable. It's also pretty clear that a good amount of his production comes from his linemates. What happens if they find a better fit for Granlund?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not super concerned about Zucker's level of play dropping in the short to medium term. I think if he gets the same sort of minutes and linemates as last year he'll be good for around 30 goals and around 60 points. I also think that a healthy Parise and a healthy Nino are going to provide more competition for those minutes though, especially on the powerplay where I'm not all that impressed with what Zucker brings.

I've been thinking something like $5.5m for 4-6 years for Zucker, so if it ends up being $6m for 5 years I can't get too worked up about it. I don't love giving him more than Nino because I tend to think Nino's the better player, but Zucker got the goals. What really worries me is what sort of no-trade protection they add to it. I could live with a 10-team NTC, and that's assuming that Seattle's expansion draft rules are the same as Vegas'. I think there's a decent chance we're going to want to have the option to trade him in years 4 or 5 though, so I'd like to see that option left open.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i 4 one hope we'll sign zucker to aprox 5.5 x 5 or 6 yrs. i really think when kaprizov gets here they will be a terrific 1-2 punch. if staal has another great year what do you offer him?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Zucker was clearly a top 6 player last year. Any other year of his career would be highly debatable. It's also pretty clear that a good amount of his production comes from his linemates. What happens if they find a better fit for Granlund?

We should jump for joy.

Marleau and Kane's contracts really skewed the market. Zucker is a better player (and probably person) than Mike Hoffman, but that's the range (5.1 or so) where I think you're getting good value for a guy with some tools who really isn't a primary driver for his line - more opportunistic. Zucker's agent has every right to start by asking for something in the upper 6 range. That wouldn't be terrible, but I don't think 30 goals from Zucker is a reasonable expectation. Won't be shocking at all for them to settle on something like Dumba's deal but I would consider it an overpay.

That said, the Oilers are wasting McDavid's career specifically because they haven't found a Zucker (and traded a comparable in Eberle), so it's not like these guys are a dime a dozen.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Is it? Like is that at all supported by facts? Because over the last two seasons he has 3 line combos with 100+ minutes, and the least successful one is a line with Granlund. In fact the most successful one based on GF%, GF/60, and GA/60 is the one line without Granlund. They play very well together for sure, but it's not like Granlund was tearing it up with 4 goals and 6 assists in 18 games before being put with Zucker for the first time. Zucker wasn't doing any better, but he was also stuck on the 4th line until being bumped up to Koivu/Granlund's wing.

I think people are really underrating a 30+ goal scorer here. Granlund got 7.67% cap hit after a breakout 69 point year following a career high 44 points. Do people really expect Zucker to sign for 5.25m, a full percentage below Granlund's due to the cap going up by 6%, after following a very similar trajectory while also scoring more goals? $6 million with term is about what I expect, anything below that either takes a shorter deal or is just gravy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If I thought he was likely to put up 30+ goals and 60+ points again, I would be right there with you on all of your points. Zucker has never been worth even half of that prior to this past season.

22 goals and 47 points is worth more than $3 million.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
i 4 one hope we'll sign zucker to aprox 5.5 x 5 or 6 yrs. i really think when kaprizov gets here they will be a terrific 1-2 punch. if staal has another great year what do you offer him?

Depends on what we can. Assuming Zucker signs for ~$6M, that would leave us ~$10M (before any cap increase) to re-sign Staal, bridge Eriksson Ek, put together a 4th line, sign a 7th D and a backup goalie.

I'd say somewhere in the $5.5 to $6.5 range and hope he takes the lower side because he likes it here.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Also, keep in mind Granlund needs an extension next year, we don't want him to walk the following summer.

We can give him as much of Koivu's expiring $5.5M as it takes. Half of it should be more than enough (would put him up to $8.5M which is probably too much, but let's use that for planning purposes). We could then, if we wanted to, give the other half to Spurgeon (bringing him up to the high $7M's, which again, might be too much). The only major piece remaining would be Coyle. And this is without the Seattle ED throwing wrenches into things. Also, that's the planned summer for Kaprizov coming over, so we might need to open up a forward spot in the top 6/9 as it stands.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Obviously HFboards are not real life but the Panarin Story just keeps pointing to him wanting a trade before start of preseason and teams are throwing the spare parts and arguing the value considering the situation.

Honestly cant see how a Zucker or Nino + potential package is not one of the best offers available and its a gamble we can afford to make.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Obviously HFboards are not real life but the Panarin Story just keeps pointing to him wanting a trade before start of preseason and teams are throwing the spare parts and arguing the value considering the situation.

Honestly cant see how a Zucker or Nino + potential package is not one of the best offers available and its a gamble we can afford to make.
If Panarin says "no way I would re-sign in Minnesota," I get why we wouldn't make a trade offer.

But Fenton needs to run that down to its fullest extend. PPG right-shot wingers do not grow on trees.

Reactions: TaLoN and grN1g

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If Panarin says "no way I would re-sign in Minnesota," I get why we wouldn't make a trade offer.

But Fenton needs to run that down to its fullest extend. PPG right-shot wingers do not grow on trees.

I mean just looking at some reasons to consider signing...

-Good city and team that can pay him to be the guy
-Some highly touted russians in the system
-Better and stronger divison and more chances to play Chicago which maybe he has some extra fire to build with a team to beat them from here on out. (stretching this a bit)

Article from a respected Russian someone I was just reading basically stating its:

1.weird hes being so public given hes about to sign his biggest contract
2.the NY teams aren't going to be seriously competitive for a few more years (so big city big lights of NY doesnt really make sense)
3. CBJ is a team on the rise and can pay him now. Doesnt personally believe Coach Torts style bothers Panarin
4.LA has a decent shot considering the make up of the team and the outside hockey life
5. FLA is also a possible

I mean if LA and FLA are really the two teams to worry about we can compete with some of the same angles and have our own attractiveness in our own way (cant compete with the TAX & LA life style) but those are really the two biggest hurdles it seems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad