Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Was reading the Hockey Wilderness article regarding A.A. from Detroit as a hypothetical trade target. Any thoughts on this?
I think he could be a good fit, but don't see the trade that get's him here and fits him under the cap?

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I'd rather have haula back than AA. wonder if he's an odd man out after stasny signing. AA isn't a center.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Was reading the Hockey Wilderness article regarding A.A. from Detroit as a hypothetical trade target. Any thoughts on this?

Det has about $10m to re-sign Larkin/Mantha and a pressbox guy. They really can't add more cap, and they have 10 guys with some sort of NTC. They signed Bernier, Green, and Vanek this off-season for a combined ~$11m so they aren't just tanking.

Maybe Olofsson/Seeler + pick or FWD prospect for AA? Total guess.

I'm guessing you're thinking of 3rd line LW for AA? He'd be another LHS, so I'm not sure how much interest the Wild would have in him. GMPF seems to be going towards a more physical lineup, and AA doesn't fit that mold either. :dunno:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Would be interested in Duchene if made available, but not sure what we could move for him and fit it under the cap? Need an under 30 bridge C to go from Koivu/Staal to JEE.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Colin Miller (VGK) just signed a 4yr/3.875m deal. 25 year old RFA before inking the deal. 10+31 in 82gp last year. He is a 2nd pairing d-man for Vegas and plays on the 2nd PP unit as well.

Hopefully that drives the price down on Dumba.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Would be interested in Duchene if made available, but not sure what we could move for him and fit it under the cap? Need an under 30 bridge C to go from Koivu/Staal to JEE.

Duchene will be looking for big money/term after the season. He's a nice player, but a dive (from reports). The Wild might need to build a bigger areana to hold all of Duchene, Parise, and Suter ego. :sarcasm:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Colin Miller (VGK) just signed a 4yr/3.875m deal. 25 year old RFA before inking the deal. 10+31 in 82gp last year. He is a 2nd pairing d-man for Vegas and plays on the 2nd PP unit as well.

Hopefully that drives the price down on Dumba.

Miller also had 13p and 16p the prior 2 seasons, so which player is Miller? It could end up being a steal of a contract if he's putting up 40p-50p every year, but if he's at 20p and not really a good defender it's a meh deal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How do you know that; if they are going to get Karlsson, they need to give something up. Point is going to be an RFA next year and that might be a sticking point for them.

Obviously I have no idea what Yzerman would do, but seems every Lightning fan would throw their body in front of a Karlsson trade if it meant that Point was exiting.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
How do you know that; if they are going to get Karlsson, they need to give something up. Point is going to be an RFA next year and that might be a sticking point for them.
Explain how trading a guy making less than 700K, helps a teams cap situation?

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Duchene will be looking for big money/term after the season. He's a nice player, but a dive (from reports). The Wild might need to build a bigger areana to hold all of Duchene, Parise, and Suter ego. :sarcasm:

That's fair, I hope JEE can take a leap this year and we can find a trade for a C to bridge that gap a bit. Who knows if Staal and/or Koivu fall off a production cliff.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

While I think the ego thing is overblown by most, this legitimately made me laugh. Thanks!

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Explain how trading a guy making less than 700K, helps a teams cap situation?

In his scenario he had Point leaving with Callahan's overpriced salary. Add in that they'll need to be able to afford Karlsson after this season, and the idea is that they may not be able to afford Point's re-signing. If I were the Lightning's GM, however, I think I'd rather trade Johnson and picks for Karlsson, buy out Callahan if needed, and then be able to afford Point based off of those moves. I don't really know though if Johnson+ would be enough to get them Karlsson.

Ah crap. I thought I was editing my post above with this, not posting a new reply. Oh well.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011

And he's NOT #1 center. Pass.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yet another cautionary tale about tanking for a top 3 pick.
But, if the Wild did trade for him, that would give them a total of 3 players taken in the top 5 of their respective drafts. That would have to make them a lock for the Cup? No?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In his scenario he had Point leaving with Callahan's overpriced salary. Add in that they'll need to be able to afford Karlsson after this season, and the idea is that they may not be able to afford Point's re-signing. If I were the Lightning's GM, however, I think I'd rather trade Johnson and picks for Karlsson, buy out Callahan if needed, and then be able to afford Point based off of those moves. I don't really know though if Johnson+ would be enough to get them Karlsson.

Problem is, both Ottawa and Tampa Bay don't have 1st round picks next year. Moving it 2020 might not be a good idea. Point has value as a 1st round pick. Johnson might be intriguing, but is older and has been declining some.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Problem is, both Ottawa and Tampa Bay don't have 1st round picks next year. Moving it 2020 might not be a good idea. Point has value as a 1st round pick. Johnson might be intriguing, but is older and has been declining some.
Do you have any idea who Brayden Point is?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Do you have any idea who Brayden Point is?

Young center, right shot. Only 22 years old, went from scoring 18 goals in 68 games to 32 goals in 82 games.

Tampa Bay can't trade their 1st round pick in 2019 due to conditions. They want to move Callahan, but his contract is bloated and he hasn't been that good. They could look at buying out Callahan, but that's dead money that they won't have.

Could look at moving who then? Palat? He has a cap hit of over 5 million, has had a history of being banged up and hasn't scored 20 goals in 5 years. Miller re-signed. Johnson might be movable, but has a cap hit of 5 million and hasn't replicated his 2014-2015 season. Kucherov? Don't see them moving him more so than Point. Killorn is in the same boat as Johnson.

They want to add Karlsson, which might put them over the top. Who do they move? And if they sign Karlsson to a 10 million dollar contract, what do they do next? If they add Karlsson at 10 million, they are at 66 million next year - and they have to sign back Kucherov, Parquette, Point next year at forwards. And rebuild their defense as Stralman, Coburn and Girardi are up for contracts.

So either Karlsson goes to a different team or Tampa Bay will have to get really creative about who they move. If they buy out Callahan, they absorb a 2.67 million cap hit for two years and then a 1.57 million cap hit for two more years.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yet another cautionary tale about tanking for a top 3 pick.
How can you look at the Colorado Avalanche and think that their issue is that they tanked, instead of their choices regarding who they draft, who was their coach, how they develop, and how they re-sign their players?

Colorado would be a juggernaut if they had some decent decision making and execution.

This highlights the real concern with tanking: lack of trust in management. If one has faith in their management, they would obviously love a bunch of high draft picks for their team and would be confident that a sharp upward trajectory would result.

If one does not, then tanking brings fear and worry about bad decision makers making mistakes with greater consequences. It is better to paddle around in the safety of mediocrity.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
How can you look at the Colorado Avalanche and think that their issue is that they tanked, instead of their choices regarding who they draft, who was their coach, how they develop, and how they re-sign their players?

Colorado would be a juggernaut if they had some decent decision making and execution.

This highlights the real concern with tanking: lack of trust in management. If one has faith in their management, they would obviously love a bunch of high draft picks for their team and would be confident that a sharp upward trajectory would result.

If one does not, then tanking brings fear and worry about bad decision makers making mistakes with greater consequences. It is better to paddle around in the safety of mediocrity.

All good points but even the greatest minds of hockey make mistakes, or get thwarted by circumstances (injury, cap, luck, ego). It's not rocket science, as they say, but even the best rocket scientists ended up losing that war.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
CO never had a Defense, or a complete team, just a few excellent forwards and a hot goalie who made they look better than they really were.

No argument that Roy as a coach has all sorts of flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad