Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Maybe. According to CapFriendly it was only a 10-team no-trade list so I'm not sure how well he could leverage that. My guess is that he wasn't keen on extending right now, which would have also kept the price down. If he turns around and immediately extends in San Jose it's going to look pretty bad.
Yeah, that return is really underwhelming for Ottawa to begin with... Maybe I'm uninformed on their players though.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, that return is really underwhelming for Ottawa to begin with... Maybe I'm uninformed on their players though.
Ignoring the players it's a (late) 1st and a 2nd + for one year of Karlsson. It's not great and I get why Sens fans are apoplectic right now, but it's not nothing for a Sharks team that has a pretty thin prospect pipeline. A team can only give up so much of their future for one year of any player, even a great one. I imagine we'll see the same thing happen with Panarin, who seems like he'll be eyeing UFA.

Edit: I did initially think it was two 2nds and not one, though. Not that the extra 2nd makes a ton of difference one way or the other, but... yeah, yuck.

Last edited:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Take out Nino and Dumba and you're pretty close.

cap wise you would need one of them to go was his theory. i dont agree with sending both but its not my say to send all that just what i read. to get someone with panarin caliber skill we would have to give up a solid amount.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Lets say EK gets 12m a year with a AAV to match. SJ has a lot of question marks starting next year when it comes to 2/3 of their team. A ton of guys needing new contracts and if they don't resign Pavelski and Thornton hangs them up that money will be used to keep EK. Their team will start to look more like the Stars than the team that got to the finals a few years ago.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
cap wise you would need one of them to go was his theory. i dont agree with sending both but its not my say to send all that just what i read. to get someone with panarin caliber skill we would have to give up a solid amount.
The price for rentals is always the same. I could see Nino going, but there wouldn't be much added to him if he did. Columbus would have to add a significant piece to even get Dumba into the conversation.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The price for rentals is always the same. I could see Nino going, but there wouldn't be much added to him if he did. Columbus would have to add a significant piece to even get Dumba into the conversation.

I think the basis was that it was not a rental, it was like with paxioretty that it was agreed upon with panarin and the wild to get an extention also after the trade so in theory youre trading for an extended panarin not just a 1 year rental.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think the basis was that it was not a rental, it was like with paxioretty that it was agreed upon with panarin and the wild to get an extention also after the trade so in theory youre trading for an extended panarin not just a 1 year rental.

Panarin as a trade and immediate signing has different value than a Panarin and rental (and hope he signs).

Most reports have Panarin wanting to test free agency next summer. Patches was reported to be ready and willing to sign (if the money was right) back at the draft. My personal opinion is that Panarin will end up being a rental and won't sign a new contract until around the start of free agency.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Panarin as a trade and immediate signing has different value than a Panarin and rental (and hope he signs).

Most reports have Panarin wanting to test free agency next summer. Patches was reported to be ready and willing to sign (if the money was right) back at the draft. My personal opinion is that Panarin will end up being a rental and won't sign a new contract until around the start of free agency.

i know, i get it. just stating that the article was basing his trade offer off a for sure signed panarin in the same path as patches.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's not how it works. Fenton might want to talk to Panarin to gauge his interest in Minnesota, but that doesn't change his trade value.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
a signed panarin is worth more than a rental karlsson. thats why he said signed in his comment. if it is a rental panarin its obviously less.
There's no such thing as a " signed Panarin". He has 1 year left and has no intention of re-signing in Columbus.That is the player that Columbus is trading.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
There's no such thing as a " signed Panarin". He has 1 year left and has no intention of re-signing in Columbus.That is the player that Columbus is trading.

well in the hypothetical world everyone is living in, in your eyes what is a signed panarin worth in a trade just out of speculation and personal opinion not any factual evidence of him signing or anything?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
well in the hypothetical world everyone is living in, in your eyes what is a signed panarin worth in a trade just out of speculation and personal opinion not any factual evidence of him signing or anything?
He will get the same thing that every rental player gets-
1st round pick
Good not great prospect

those two things are pretty much a given, then depending on the value of those two things above, you will ususally add a lower level roster player/Cap dump and/or lower level prospect/mid round draft picks. The Karlsson trade follows this formula. As did the Burns, Pominville, Hanzal, and just about every UFA trade ever.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Why was Paciretty so cheap if his willingness to re-sign was an important factor?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I may have jumped into the middle of it, but wasn't the premise a signed Panarin? Does Karlsson have a deal in place? I haven't looked too much into it.
My whole point is that the bolded just doesn't exist. At least not to the extent that it's going to add immense value to a UFA.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe I am wrong, but does anyone have an example of a pending UFA getting traded for a significant haul, and then agreeing to an extension? I honestly can't think of any.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Down year, age, current ability?

And I don't know how "cheap" he was; Suzuki is a great prospect.
Suzuki being better than the usual prospect involved in these deals is probably why Vegas the pick is a 2nd and not a 1st. Also might play into them being able to make that big of a cap dump. Point being, that's still "rental" prices for a guy that immediately signed an extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad