Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I would venture a (1) top-4 LD and (2) either a young center with top-6 potential in near future or a top-6 winger + pick/prospect and (3) the chance that he walk at the end of the year even though you are offering him an 8-year, 11+ million/year contract.

I have not heard anything on where he might want to play, but it looks like he may be on his way out of Dallas.

Why? The Stars are projected to have over 34 million dollars in cap space next season. Is he going to sign with the Leafs?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
gotcha, i read that he is possibly out of dallas but with all the moves they are making i dont know why they would let him walk. who knows im no gm
If Dallas knows he is leaving and also that they are not contending this year, it would be foolish to keep him.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Why? The Stars are projected to have over 34 million dollars in cap space next season. Is he going to sign with the Leafs?

my answer to the why is that dallas is projected to have over 34 million in cap space and they haven't been able to get him to sign, given he's likely their top priority.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I think that Max Pacioretty is worth a pick to acquire if he ends up to free agency. It would be great that if Wild had more than one (or sometimes two) players who can break the 30 goal mark. Sure the last season wasn't great but I think that with Wild Max could get better results and the cap hit wouldn't be too bad considering that he's 29 right now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think that Max Pacioretty is worth a pick to acquire if he ends up to free agency. It would be great that if Wild had more than one (or sometimes two) players who can break the 30 goal mark. Sure the last season wasn't great but I think that with Wild Max could get better results and the cap hit wouldn't be too bad considering that he's 29 right now.

I have no interest in Patches at the contract he'll get. I don't want to add on a 4th/5th rounder to get his negotiation rights for a few weeks. He'll be 30 when he gets his next contract, guessing a 5x$7m (if he hits 30g again). I like his skillset, and he should age decently (unless his hands go like Pommer). I just don't like the fit with the team as another LHS wing:
-Nino, Parise, and Zucker are already locked up for $5m+ with term.
-Granny is $5m+ but short term.
-Kaprizov and Greenway are LHS wings that will need a NHL spot.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
my answer to the why is that dallas is projected to have over 34 million in cap space and they haven't been able to get him to sign, given he's likely their top priority.
Which isn't going to help them if Seguin wants to go elsewhere. Although, I think it is a reasonable question of whether Seguin would want to come to Minnesota over staying with Dallas or bolting for someplace like San Jose or Tampa, who you know is going to make a bid for him.

I still think it's worth a shot if Suter is healthy and Seeler continues to be a game. With Seguin on this team, even for just this season, the Wild could potentially go deep into the playoffs. We could then make the case for him to stay, or if he leaves, we could make a strong case to bring in Panarin, Duchene, or Stone.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Erik Karlsson trade rumors kicking up again, with Bobby mac saying if it happens in the next day or two it'll be to a west coast team.

Got me thinking a bit, because while we haven't seen much of Fenton in action, based on his Nashville days he's been in front office's not afraid of a big move (Weber-Subban, Jones-Johansson, Erat-Forsberg, etc). And it would be the big move it seems like we've all been expecting. It also seems like Russo may not quite have the FO sources he once did, and there are few teams as stacked at RHD as we are, so it'd probably come as quite the surprise.

I'm not sure i'd be in favor of it, but just wondering what it would take.

My quick thoughts are, based on Sens wanting to get younger is the package would have to be Dumba +.

Spurgeon has a 10 team NTC, and I have a hard time believing Ottawa wouldn't be included on any NTC list in the league.

The Cap would be a wash for this year, and we've got 10 mill in Cap Space projected for next year with basically only Staal to resign. That'll more than likely be 15 million once increase in cap happens, so it would be possible to resign Karlsson and Staal (or let Staal walk).

So does Dumba + Filip Johansson get it done? Dumba + Kunin? Dumba + 2019 1st? Dumba + Kaprizov (god forbid?).

We really have no idea how Fenton feels about any of these players. just spitballing on a boring day

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
To go after Karlsson, you would need what Vegas got from Patches - a promise to sign an extension.

I think that is a material different scenario than targeting say Seguin or Duchene (if they do not want to re-sign with their current teams). A center would be more valuable to the Wild, and would be a major boon this season. The Wild would move at least 1 winger with a big contract to make that move, opening significant long-term cap space. And the Wild would have multiple options this summer to target a different UFA forward if either Seguin or Duchene decide to leave after the end of the year.

But if Karlsson leaves, than you just gave up say Dumba for that 1 year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
The Wild will not go after Karlsson. It just doesn't make sense for us.

We need that center pedigree that can be a staple at #1C for the next five years at least.

Reactions: 57special

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The Wild will not go after Karlsson. It just doesn't make sense for us.

We need that center pedigree that can be a staple at #1C for the next five years at least.

No one would have pegged Nashville in on the Subban market either, it was a complete shock, Fenton was a part of making that happen.

We have a very limited idea how Fenton operates.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
No one would have pegged Nashville in on the Subban market either, it was a complete shock, Fenton was a part of making that happen.

We have a very limited idea how Fenton operates.

I don't disagree with what you say about Fenton, I just think that Fenton isn't making something like this happen without watching our players play at least 3-5 months of hockey.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Trading Dumba after he just signed a long term contract? Nah, I don't think so. Also that $10m in cap space isn't very much considering you need to fill out 7 roster spots. Staal will probably be getting at least $6m. So likely $4m to sign 6 players. Gets really tight really quick, especially if Eriksson Ek does well.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
nhl network was saying panarin is in play. i know theres been no mention of minnesota but i'd make a pitch that kaprizov is coming soon & sokolov & khovanov look promising. i wouldnt overpay since he may go UFA next summer. man would i like to see zucker / granlund / panarin light things up.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
nhl network was saying panarin is in play. i know theres been no mention of minnesota but i'd make a pitch that kaprizov is coming soon & sokolov & khovanov look promising. i wouldnt overpay since he may go UFA next summer. man would i like to see zucker / granlund / panarin light things up.

that line combo doesnt work as none are a center. would be more like panarin-staal-granny. if the gonepuckwild article is correct at the asking price for panarin with a promise of extention signing, it mentioned nino + dumba + sokolov + 2020 1st for panarin signed. im not sure how strongly i feel about that price.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Sens:
EK
F. Perron

SJS:
2019 or 2020 1st
2019 2nd
Chris Tierny
Josh Norris
Rudolfs Balcers
Dylan DeMelo

Initial reaction is I can't believe that's the best they could get for the best defender in the league.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Sens:
EK
F. Perron

SJS:
2019 or 2020 1st
2019 2nd
Chris Tierny
Josh Norris
Rudolfs Balcers
Dylan DeMelo

Initial reaction is I can't believe that's the best they could get for the best defender in the league.

maybe EK had some limitations to the teams he would accept a trade to?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
that line combo doesnt work as none are a center. would be more like panarin-staal-granny. if the gonepuckwild article is correct at the asking price for panarin with a promise of extention signing, it mentioned nino + dumba + sokolov + 2020 1st for panarin signed. im not sure how strongly i feel about that price.
Take out Nino and Dumba and you're pretty close.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
maybe EK had some limitations to the teams he would accept a trade to?
Maybe. According to CapFriendly it was only a 10-team no-trade list so I'm not sure how well he could leverage that. My guess is that he wasn't keen on extending right now, which would have also kept the price down. If he turns around and immediately extends in San Jose it's going to look pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad