Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let's see Dumba carry someone on his D pairing before we crown him king.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Assigning these arbitrary numbers to players is so ridiculous. This 1D and 1C stuff doesn't even exist. Nothing is in a vacuum. A 1 here is a 2 there and a 3 there is better than a 1 here. Especially with defense pairings.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Assigning these arbitrary numbers to players is so ridiculous. This 1D and 1C stuff doesn't even exist. Nothing is in a vacuum. A 1 here is a 2 there and a 3 there is better than a 1 here. Especially with defense pairings.

Well no. In general it's a good way to quantify how good a player is in simple terms.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Well no. In general it's a good way to quantify how good a player is in simple terms.
It’s not though. Is spurg a 2? Or 3? How many teams need bad d before Spurgeon is a #1? If he’s better than 1/4 of previous number ones? If he plays with Suter is he a 2? Since he always had Suter can he ever be a 1 without him?

Kamloops218

Apr 9, 2018
All our D-men are soft except for Dumba. Dumba can play physical if he wants. It shows in the one and dones.

Kamloops218

Apr 9, 2018
I’d love to see Suter and Dumba exchange haymakers. Suter is a one punch Pabst blue ribbon.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You can laugh all you want but if one of the two is holding the other back it certainly isn’t Dumba.

Dumba has had like half a season of quality play, yet Brodin somehow has been holding him back for 2 years.
16-17: Scandella (526), Brodin (335), Suter (278)... I guess blame Brodin for "reasons"
17-18: Brodin (802), Suter (501). Dumba was better with Suter, but Suter makes everyone better because of how good he is. Even his first stint with Suter last year Dumba wasn't near the same player he was at the end of the year. Dumba's scoring was also pretty consistent throughout the season no matter who his partner was.

The only person that has been holding Dumba back is Dumba. The game finally slowed down for him in the middle of last season and things started to click.

Reactions: nickschultzfan

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It’s not though. Is spurg a 2? Or 3? How many teams need bad d before Spurgeon is a #1? If he’s better than 1/4 of previous number ones? If he plays with Suter is he a 2? Since he always had Suter can he ever be a 1 without him?

Spurgeon has definitely proven to be a #2.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dumba has had like half a season of quality play, yet Brodin somehow has been holding him back for 2 years.
16-17: Scandella (526), Brodin (335), Suter (278)... I guess blame Brodin for "reasons"
17-18: Brodin (802), Suter (501). Dumba was better with Suter, but Suter makes everyone better because of how good he is. Even his first stint with Suter last year Dumba wasn't near the same player he was at the end of the year. Dumba's scoring was also pretty consistent throughout the season no matter who his partner was.

The only person that has been holding Dumba back is Dumba. The game finally slowed down for him in the middle of last season and things started to click.
You missed the boat. What I’m saying is there is no way Dumba is holding Brodin back. Brodin is a soft defensive defenseman that defers way too much to his d partner to make the offensive plays or breakout passes. That puts extra pressure on Dumba to make the right play. Then, if he doesn’t, people will criticize him to no end.

It also wasn’t half a season either. The year prior he had plenty of quality play. People just need to give their head a shake and realize he’s not the same player he was at Red Deer or earlier in his pro career.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I know. But apparently this team doesn't think skating or speed is important.
Based on what? They just re-signed two of the faster players on the team. Trading Haula+Tuch was a mistake when the expansion draft could’ve just been a choice between Scandella and Brodin. But Fletcher isn’t in charge anymore.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
In what way? Suter on the point of the PP is shooting wide for a tip or passing off, when he finally shoots to score he tends to actually do it but thats a rare occasion.
Suter's role on the PP isn't to shoot, or even really look for his shot. He's the QB, and he's probably top 10 or better in the NHL at doing it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
When paired with Suter.

No one gifted a 5'8" unsigned 6th round pick the 24 minutes a night in all situation Spurgeon plays.

If there is anyplayer in the league that's earned the NHL minutes he's got, it's him.

From Taverse City, then the AHL, and injury callup to his methodical rise up the NHL lineup, Spurgeon has earned every minute of NHL ice time he's got.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Suter's role on the PP isn't to shoot, or even really look for his shot. He's the QB, and he's probably top 10 or better in the NHL at doing it.

i know his role, he passes it off instead of shooting so what does the pk do? play to the outside and try to get in those shooting lanes because suter doesnt strike fear or show a threat of shooting from the point hardly ever.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You missed the boat. What I’m saying is there is no way Dumba is holding Brodin back. Brodin is a soft defensive defenseman that defers way too much to his d partner to make the offensive plays or breakout passes. That puts extra pressure on Dumba to make the right play. Then, if he doesn’t, people will criticize him to no end.

It also wasn’t half a season either. The year prior he had plenty of quality play. People just need to give their head a shake and realize he’s not the same player he was at Red Deer or earlier in his pro career.
Brodin has to cover for Dumba's constant f***ups. 2 on 1's and 3 on 1's aren't the easiest to defend, and being fed panicked and ill thought out passes in your own end aren't ideal, either. Pretty hard to add offense when you are sticking your finger in dyke holes defensively.

I do hope that Brodin gets to play with Spurgeon, and Dumba with Suter. Then we'll see.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It's pretty amazing that Brodin gets the blame by some for the poor defense by that pairing over the last 2 season, and Dumba get the credit for the good defense over the last 2 months of the season. Beyond hilarious.

Maybe. Just maybe Brodin was overcompensating for Dumba making bad reads and rarely being the right positions and it only took Dumba playing average defense to make something out of that pairing.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There's probably something to the idea that Brodin plays more conservatively when paired with Dumba, and that that affects his offensive output.

That said, we've also seen Suter-Dumba and Brodin-Spurgeon pairings. In general I thought Suter-Dumba was as good or better than Suter-Spurgeon. We've seen Brodin-Spurgeon for limited minutes, but I can't say I ever came away impressed by them as a pairing. Both players tended to look worse when played together, which is the opposite of what I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad