Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Tampa has ~$20m ($76m cap) to resign Drouin, Palat, T. Johnson, Sustr, and a backup goalie; that'll get their roster to 19 players.

Callahan's ($5.8x3) boat anchor of a contract would have to be coming back (to any team) for Tampa to even consider moving Kucherov. There are very few players that could get him in a 1 for 1 swap (Eichel, Matthews, McDavid quality of player).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From the Trade board Spurgeon thread...

How would Puljujarvi + Jones sound like?

Or Puljujarvi + 1st 2017?

Gives Wild expansion draft exempt assets and more cap space for signing Granlund/Nino.
I definitely think there could be a base for a deal there... maybe need a bit more on their side, but it's pretty close to the type of thing we need.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
From the Trade board Spurgeon thread...

How would Puljujarvi + Jones sound like?

Or Puljujarvi + 1st 2017?

Gives Wild expansion draft exempt assets and more cap space for signing Granlund/Nino.

I definitely think there could be a base for a deal there... maybe need a bit more on their side, but it's pretty close to the type of thing we need.

I would consider that long and hard. It's very tempting. I doubt Edmonton would do it though, simply because it's just not smart to trade Pulju right now. Unless it's for an asset like Spurgeon. The 1st is a late pick in a supposedly weak draft, but Pulju is a 4th OA who by most accounts should've been 3rd. He's big. He's got tons of potential, although I don't see his value primarily as a scorer like others do.

It would be one of those high-risk, high-reward moves that make or break a GM.

Spurgeon's value isn't exactly small, and it's probably even higher to us. Dumba isn't going to replace him on our own end. And it doesn't solve our expansion draft woes either, still gonna lose a very good player (likely Scandella in this situation).

However, what it does is gives us a very high-potential player who we can afford to develop in the minors or play in, say, 3rd line while being mentored by Koivu/Granlund/Haula.

It would break my heart to lose Spurgeon. But he'd be returning to Edmonton, his hometown. And we'd get a player who is already quite good and has tremendous potential in return.

After some consideration, I'd do it. It would be a controversial trade to both fanbases, with high risk carried. A real blockbuster. But if such offer was on the table, I'd do it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I would consider that long and hard. It's very tempting. I doubt Edmonton would do it though, simply because it's just not smart to trade Pulju right now. Unless it's for an asset like Spurgeon. The 1st is a late pick in a supposedly weak draft, but Pulju is a 4th OA who by most accounts should've been 3rd. He's big. He's got tons of potential, although I don't see his value primarily as a scorer like others do.

It would be one of those high-risk, high-reward moves that make or break a GM.

Spurgeon's value isn't exactly small, and it's probably even higher to us. Dumba isn't going to replace him on our own end. And it doesn't solve our expansion draft woes either, still gonna lose a very good player (likely Scandella in this situation).

However, what it does is gives us a very high-potential player who we can afford to develop in the minors or play in, say, 3rd line while being mentored by Koivu/Granlund/Haula.

It would break my heart to lose Spurgeon. But he'd be returning to Edmonton, his hometown. And we'd get a player who is already quite good and has tremendous potential in return.

After some consideration, I'd do it. It would be a controversial trade to both fanbases, with high risk carried. A real blockbuster. But if such offer was on the table, I'd do it.
It would take both Brodin and Dumba off the exposed list, which is important if we make a deal. Is Scandella still likely gone in the ED? Sure... but for picking up a player with absolute elite skillset that we've been missing? You don't pick up such a player unless you win the lottery, are a really bad team... or make a blockbuster trade such as this. Edmonton has the ability to lose such a player because of what they already have. They're changing to a win now mode and Spurgeon is exactly what their team needs.

Yes, the assets given up on both sides are painful to lose... but as I've said before, you have to give something to get something.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I'd do Spurgeon+Haula for Puljujarvi+Reinhart.

Then I like Pominville for Niemi.

Parise-Staal-Coyle
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-JEE-Pulju
Stewart-Kloos-Tuch

Suter-Dumba
Reinhart-Brodin
Olofsson-Folin

Dubnyk
Niemi

Kunin will need to be developed fully as a C for this to work though. Also I have a solid feeling Belpedio will end up as a #2 RHD in the next 2 years. This next college free agent period I push very hard for Daniel Brickley however.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd prefer the 2017 1st rounder from Edmonton as an add over Reinhart... we have no protection slots available for Reinhart.

Take the draft pick, and then sign a bottom pair UFA D-man in free agency.

Wild Get:
Puljujarvi + 2017 1st + 2018 2nd

Oilers Get:
Spurgeon + Haula

That's the deal that seems to have been worked to on the trade board... floated it on the Oilers board and they seem to like it there too...

I'd do it if it were on the table. Can the GM's make it happen? :laugh:

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd do Spurgeon + Haula for Pulju + Bear (We may need to add something small to get Bear as well)

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I would not trade Spurgeon. That would be a disaster.

Only upside is that Suter would have to play with Dumba, which probably should have happened a while ago.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Tampa fan offering Drouin + 1st (14th overall) for Spurgeon.

Well the logic behind trading Spurgeon would be to gain cap space. Drouin is looking for a contract similar to that of Nino/Granlund which solves nothing but adding another unnecessary left wing.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I think Spurgeon will be the best defenseman in the next season over Suter. All those names sound tempting but i don't think they would make this team better. Spurgeon is pretty young too.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Where would Spurgeon play on the Oilers? Why would the Oilers be looking to add salary there when they have Draisaitl and McDavid's raises to consider? They might have to muddle along without Sekera for a month but that area of need probably isn't enough to consider giving up on Puljujarvi already.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Where would Spurgeon play on the Oilers? Why would the Oilers be looking to add salary there when they have Draisaitl and McDavid's raises to consider? They might have to muddle along without Sekera for a month but that area of need probably isn't enough to consider giving up on Puljujarvi already.

Especially considering they've got the albatross contracts paying $6m to RNH and Eberle.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Especially considering they've got the albatross contracts paying $6m to RNH and Eberle.

"albatross" doesn't mean what you think it does. Both guys had unlucky seasons scoring-wise...Eberle still had 50 points. That's what scorers make. Both guys have trade value as well and contracts that expire in our lifetimes.

It gives me no joy to say it but look no further than Zach Parise for an example of an albatross contract.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Well this Peter Chiarelli were talking about. If there is one GM who likes to trade young talent it's him.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well this Peter Chiarelli were talking about. If there is one GM who likes to trade young talent it's him.

I could definitely see him dealing Puljujarvi, Eberle, and/or RNH at some point. But when you have a team that arguably might have been in the Finals, you tinker less.

He's prone to odd decisions but most seem to work out ok. I think Fletch needs to be looking elsewhere for trading partners. But the other thing is that the Wild don't need a lot of tinkering either - just have to secure what did work. Adding JEE next season and getting him some minutes will be an upgrade.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

1st pairing right defense... Spurgeon would be their best defenseman.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
"albatross" doesn't mean what you think it does. Both guys had unlucky seasons scoring-wise...Eberle still had 50 points. That's what scorers make. Both guys have trade value as well and contracts that expire in our lifetimes.

It gives me no joy to say it but look no further than Zach Parise for an example of an albatross contract.

It's a metaphor for them being a burden to that team. Which they are.

RNH is a 3rd line center who didn't crack 50pts, is bad in the faceoff circle, and is being paid $6m/yr.

Eberle is a 2nd/3rd line RW who's seen a decline in his production since McDavid and Draisaitl have arrived. He just isn't worth $6m/yr anymore. You have to go back at least 5 years to find his one and only 30g season.

Also, with regards to Parise, everyone knows that contract is bad. That's been the narrative since Fletcher handed them out. I don't see how that has any relevancy to this specific conversation.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's a metaphor for them being a burden to that team. Which they are.

RNH is a 3rd line center who didn't crack 50pts, is bad in the faceoff circle, and is being paid $6m/yr.

Eberle is a 2nd/3rd line RW who's seen a decline in his production since McDavid and Draisaitl have arrived. He just isn't worth $6m/yr anymore. You have to go back at least 5 years to find his one and only 30g season.

Also, with regards to Parise, everyone knows that contract is bad. That's been the narrative since Fletcher handed them out. I don't see how that has any relevancy to this specific conversation.

You don't watch the Oilers if you believe RNH is a "burden." At all.

Could they paid a little less? Sure - every team wants a superstar on an ELC or a guy like Josi or Tavares on a deal that's bad for the player.

The Oilers guys' contracts expire in a couple of seasons, so some team could easily afford to take one of them. I don't know that Eberle has a ton of trade value but 50 point guys who are likely to score more next season really don't grow on trees. They're also both youngish players still so "albatross" is a stupid way to put it.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
You don't watch the Oilers if you believe RNH is a "burden." At all.

Could they paid a little less? Sure - every team wants a superstar on an ELC or a guy like Josi or Tavares on a deal that's bad for the player.

The Oilers guys' contracts expire in a couple of seasons, so some team could easily afford to take one of them. I don't know that Eberle has a ton of trade value but 50 point guys who are likely to score more next season really don't grow on trees. They're also both youngish players still so "albatross" is a stupid way to put it.

Facts hurt bud. Bad contracts for average players.

Trying to justify those bad contracts is an insult to players like Barkov or Scheifele.

Moving on from the attempts to derails this thread...

What do people think the value of Michael Dal Colle is? He had a good season down in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad