Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Got no problem giving a late 1st in a weak draft for Boyle.

I've heard the opposite.

We don't have the cap space to retain Boyle after this season, and he doesn't put us over the top.

Offering a 1st for him would be wasteful IMO.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree, a first for a rental with the X draft coming up...we would need more coming our way imo.

We need that first to help protect our assets. I'm not in favor of just giving it away right now.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I agree, a first for a rental with the X draft coming up...we would need more coming our way imo.

We need that first to help protect our assets. I'm not in favor of just giving it away right now.

Great point; losing our 1st gives us very little leverage when Vegas inevitably calls wanting to make a deal.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I think our first is more valuable bc we don't have a 2nd this year. Boyle for a couple months seems like a big risk if that is the asking price. Yes weaker draft, but there still should be players with potential in the 25-31 range

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Will means scandella is thrown around alot. Scandella for bozak with adds where there needs to be

Big contract to carry forward unless we use him to try to decide Vegas' pick.

Depends on Toronto's available protection slots though. I'd think they'd want to keep Marco long term...who are they forced to expose if they pick him up?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is the year to go all in. I think the West is weak, in general, and we have a decent chance to get to the Cup finals. 2017 draft is weak and we will have a late pick. Said pick will be highly unlikely to be an impact player, or even a top 9 player, for 4-5 years. Odds are he won't be a regular NHL'er. If we aren't going to go for Cup this year, when are we?

In previous years i would've been in favor of keeping picks, and possibly dumping players because i didn't think the Wild had enough to compete for a Cup, but they do now. Let's go for it. We are not giving away the future. That is already secured with Greenway, Kunin, Kap, Ek, Olofsson,etc..
The time to win is NOW.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
This is the year to go all in. I think the West is weak, in general, and we have a decent chance to get to the Cup finals. 2017 draft is weak and we will have a late pick. Said pick will be highly unlikely to be an impact player, or even a top 9 player, for 4-5 years. Odds are he won't be a regular NHL'er. If we aren't going to go for Cup this year, when are we?

In previous years i would've been in favor of keeping picks, and possibly dumping players because i didn't think the Wild had enough to compete for a Cup, but they do now. Let's go for it. We are not giving away the future. That is already secured with Greenway, Kunin, Kap, Ek, Olofsson,etc..
The time to win is NOW.

Agreed. Go for the Cup!

Mnsportsfan22

Apr 5, 2013
Big contract to carry forward unless we use him to try to decide Vegas' pick.

Depends on Toronto's available protection slots though. I'd think they'd want to keep Marco long term...who are they forced to expose if they pick him up?

Not sure what there situation is like for Vegas. But is bozak young enough and good enough where Vegas would pick him over dumba? Weak centers for Vegas to choose from it could be close

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Not sure what there situation is like for Vegas. But is bozak young enough and good enough where Vegas would pick him over dumba? Weak centers for Vegas to choose from it could be close

Well you can offer Bozak to LV to have them take Scandella.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
I've heard the opposite.

We don't have the cap space to retain Boyle after this season, and he doesn't put us over the top.

Boyle would absolutely be an upgrade to the bottom 6, there's no question about that. He is in the midst of one of his best seasons and should finish around 30+ points. I would give up our 1st. We can afford to skip this draft. Can the lightning use Scandella? Boyle + coming back as alternative? There are other options outside of trading the 1st.

Last edited:

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

The time to win is NOW.

The future is secured with a kid who's in college and might not have the skating skill to play in the NHL? with a possible 2nd line right winger who does not have to sign with Minnesota? a third kid who is under no kind of team control whatsoever and has never played an NHL game? a possible second line center? a gangly 4-5 defender? These aren't even worst-case scenarios...that's why these kids are "prospects." The future is in the small cluster young guys...two of whom are RFAs in a matter of months, and one of whom almost certainly will be lost in an upcoming expansion draft.

Pick number 29 in this draft is no weaker than in other years, it's all up to the scouts to get lucky.

Sure, this team is well-positioned to take home a pennant for the first time in a long time - anything less will be hard to swallow but I cannot believe adding Brian Boyle or Jannik Hansen is the difference between beating Chicago or San Jose or not, but that's a choice they'll have to make. Beating Washington or Pittsburgh...will take something much much bigger. I think the player who could make that difference is available in Matt Duchene, but if anyone can tell me a deal that makes sense I'll be impressed.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
During the playoffs, it's often an unheralded, bottom six player who gets hot and contributes mightily. Schroeder is not an NHL caliber player, IMO. We need to beef up the bottom six so Schroeder seldom plays. We can't have him, Stewart, and Graovac out there getting us beat every time they're on the ice. If you think a 29th pick is anything but a lottery ticket, I don't know what to say to you.

This is the most legit contending team we have had since the North Stars. Maybe we are out of practice, but most contending teams make a habit of picking up a player who can help out for their Cup run. This talk of moving Scandella now is nonsense, unless he is part of a greater deal making for an impact, or at least a near impact player coming back.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Boyle is very intriguing, I hope we'd try to give our 2018 2nd though.

Last edited by a moderator:

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
The future is secured with a kid who's in college and might not have the skating skill to play in the NHL? with a possible 2nd line right winger who does not have to sign with Minnesota? a third kid who is under no kind of team control whatsoever and has never played an NHL game? a possible second line center? a gangly 4-5 defender? These aren't even worst-case scenarios...that's why these kids are "prospects." The future is in the small cluster young guys...two of whom are RFAs in a matter of months, and one of whom almost certainly will be lost in an upcoming expansion draft.

Pick number 29 in this draft is no weaker than in other years, it's all up to the scouts to get lucky.

Sure, this team is well-positioned to take home a pennant for the first time in a long time - anything less will be hard to swallow but I cannot believe adding Brian Boyle or Jannik Hansen is the difference between beating Chicago or San Jose or not, but that's a choice they'll have to make. Beating Washington or Pittsburgh...will take something much much bigger. I think the player who could make that difference is available in Matt Duchene, but if anyone can tell me a deal that makes sense I'll be impressed.

Well ya everyone wants Duchene but it'll cost a ton and if the Pens get him it will be a tough pill to swallow. At the end of the day, it's up to the current roster to get the job done. If Staal and Coyle wake up we should get to the Cup at the very least. But Hansen/Boyle are great players in their role, I think you underestimate what their impact would be. Boyle could put a lot of pressure on Toews, he's an overpowering force. Him and stewie would be great imo

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Boyle is NOT an overpowering force. Neither is Hansen. They are bottom six depth players that push one of Graovac or Schroeder aside.

WildisLaw

The curse is real
Jan 19, 2010
Cali
Boyle is NOT an overpowering force. Neither is Hansen. They are bottom six depth players that push one of Graovac or Schroeder aside.
You're telling me a guy Boyle's size plays like spurgeon, cmon. Yeah clear upgrades to what we have, hello.

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
I've heard the opposite.

Genuinely, where? All I've seen about the 2017 draft is that it's just not deep at all. I can't think of even one source that I have seen personally who has said the opposite.

Also, has anybody thought about Mike Richards at all? Nothing but cap space to get, saw one tweet that said he's been skating all year and "in good spirits" whatever you wanna think about that. If Boyle is too expensive (even though I'd love to get him) maybe Richards could work? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad