Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Each team made a significant change to their core; Anaheim traded Bobby Ryan, Frederick Andersen, Luca Sbisa, Ottawa traded Jason Spezza, Nashville traded Shea Weber. These teams traded a huge chunk of their core, because they understood they needed a shakeup. Minnesota is in the same spot. Will they make such a change?

Trading Burns, signing Parise and Suter, trading for Pominville, new head coach.

Quite a few "shake ups" to the core.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Trading Burns, signing Parise and Suter, trading for Pominville, new head coach.

lol what?

We traded Burns 6 years ago, signed Parise/Suter AND traded for Pominville 5 years ago, and only just recently fired the Head Coach who as it turns out wasn't really the problem.

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
In fairness to Granlund, his s% is skewed some by the 4 ENG he scored this year, it did bump up the s% and extra 2%.

I think he's a 50-60p player next season (full healthy season). Nino and Coyle still have more to their games, so they could help offset a slight regression.

But if the Wild were to get a pure scorer for Granny, he could be a PPG player racking up the assists and rebound type goals.

Kovalchuk

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Bobby Ryan was traded 4 years ago, what's the statute of limitations?
Well they're really not comparable situations. The core of this team is Parise/Suter/Koivu is it not?

They traded Ryan when he was 26 in a deal that made the Ducks younger (and freed up a ton of cap space). The main piece coming back was Silfverberg & a 1st (Nick Ritchie). They spotted Ryan's decline and moved quickly to get max value for him.

The moves each of those teams made were to get younger for the future, which is exactly how all of those moves have played out. Each team is much better off now for having made those moves.

What trades have the Wild done in the last 5 years where we've sent out a significant piece of this team who's aging and declining in play for young prospects?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Well they're really not comparable situations. The core of this team is Parise/Suter/Koivu is it not?

They traded Ryan when he was 26 in a deal that made the Ducks younger (and freed up a ton of cap space). The main piece coming back was Silfverberg & a 1st (Nick Ritchie). They spotted Ryan's decline and moved quickly to get max value for him.

The moves each of those teams made were to get younger for the future, which is exactly how all of those moves have played out. Each team is much better off now for having made those moves.

What trades have the Wild done in the last 5 years where we've sent out a significant piece of this team who's aging and declining in play for young prospects?

Clutterbuck/Nino.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

I have never thought the core of the team was those guys except maybe the first year in the Suter and Parise era.

Ottawa traded young players this season and got older.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The point is to get younger not older.

Edit: Plus, there's no way in hell he would sign here. More promising future with more competent management down in Tampa with a team that's not being held back by older players.

Yet the Wild still had a better chance at Winning the Cup then them this year or did they not?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Clutterbuck/Nino.
Bobby Ryan, Jason Spezza, Shea Weber, Cal Clutterbuck. One of those is not like the others.

Clutterbuck was not a significant part of the Minnesota Wild, nor was his play declining.
The point is to get better.
That's the same argument people made when we acquired Pominville & Vanek.
I have never thought the core of the team was those guys except maybe the first year in the Suter and Parise era.

Ottawa traded young players this season and got older.

Ottawa also took the defending cup champions to 2OT in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Those young players were also pretty bad. Curtis Lazar will never amount to anything in this league. Dahlen hasn't played an NHL game. The only one you could even make an attempt to point to is Zibanajed for Brassard and even then Brassard is a better Centerman regardless of his age.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Yet the Wild still had a better chance at Winning the Cup then them this year or did they not?

They were riddled with injuries all season long and almost made the playoffs (finished 1pt out) without their 1C. Tampa is a better team than Minnesota is, don't kid yourself.

Just getting to the playoffs isn't good enough for me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pommer is decent on defense: better than Coyle, Nino, and Zucker; not as good as Parise and Granny for wingers. I'd take everyone on that list over Eberle defensively.

Would a Heatley (when he was on the Wild) comparison to Eberle be better?

I don't agree at all with your first paragraph, but whatever.

Heatley and Vanek, for all their faults, were very,very good goalscorers and BIG men, which is part of what made them effective. Eberle is average sized, and plays smaller. Poms comparison is closer, though Poms was a bit better of an all round player at a similar age. I don't think Eberle will age well.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
They were riddled with injuries all season long and almost made the playoffs (finished 1pt out) without their 1C. Tampa is a better team than Minnesota is, don't kid yourself.

I know this but I asked question did the Wild have a better chance at the Cup than Tampa this year or did they not?

At the end of the day all 29 other fan bases and teams feel the same way. Disappointed that they didn't win the Cup. Just getting to the playoffs isn't good enough for them either.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I know this but I asked question did the Wild have a better chance at the Cup than Tampa this year or did they not?

At the end of the day all 29 other fan bases and teams feel the same way. Disappointed that they didn't win the Cup. Just getting to the playoffs isn't good enough for them either.

Then why are you suggesting this organization continues with the status quo of signing over 30 players who are on their way down?

You're not getting it. I'm not saying this team needs to win a cup every year. I'm saying this team and organization need to show progress. This team has not done that for 5 straight years.

I think it's about time people take off their rose colored glasses and take a nice big drink from the fountain of reality.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Stop ruining the narrative. :sarcasm:Also Coyle for Burns probably not a great one but point still stands.

Clutterbuck was at least a fan favorite, and played his role as facepuncher, run guys through walls well, chip in 15g from a checking 3rd/4th line. Wild haven't replaced that role yet. In response to someone else.

Coyle+Setoguchi+1st (Phillips) for Burns+2nd, the Wild just bombed the pick. Coyle+Rackell/Saad/Kucherov/etc+Setoguchi for Burns sounds much closer of a deal. Setoguchi was 25 and coming off of 31, 20, 22 goal seasons in SJS. Burns was good, but really didn't turn into the monster player he for another 3 or 4 years there.

Didn't the Wild take out 3 of their other centers in one game?

Tampa is a much better team than the Wild. Elite players in Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov; a solid goalie in Vasilevskiy; and depth on offense. They could use a little defensive depth, is their weakness (besides injury) I guess.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Then why are you suggesting this organization continues with the status quo of signing over 30 players who are on their way down?

You're not getting it. I'm not saying this team needs to win a cup every year. I'm saying this team and organization need to show progress. This team has not done that for 5 straight years.

I think it's about time people take off their rose colored glasses and take a nice big drink from the fountain of reality.

I never once said anything saying they should keep signing over 30 players. Last year in free agency I suggested they should go after underrated players(don't care about size and never will) Like Pirri,Marchessault etc.

Would rather they be Colorado, Edmonton before Mcdavid, etc.?

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Clutterbuck was at least a fan favorite, and played his role as facepuncher, run guys through walls well, chip in 15g from a checking 3rd/4th line. Wild haven't replaced that role yet. In response to someone else.

Coyle+Setoguchi+1st (Phillips) for Burns+2nd, the Wild just bombed the pick. Coyle+Rackell/Saad/Kucherov/etc+Setoguchi for Burns sounds much closer of a deal. Setoguchi was 25 and coming off of 31, 20, 22 goal seasons in SJS. Burns was good, but really didn't turn into the monster player he for another 3 or 4 years there.

Didn't the Wild take out 3 of their other centers in one game?

Tampa is a much better team than the Wild. Elite players in Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov; a solid goalie in Vasilevskiy; and depth on offense. They could use a little defensive depth, is their weakness (besides injury) I guess.
No need to replace Clutterbuck role plus Nino is way way better.
He asked about trading an older player for a younger player and gave another example.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He asked about trading an older player for a younger player and gave another example.

Well there was the Zidlicky for stuff trade. They also Justin Falk twice for stuff, I just find that humorous.

Recently the Wild have been pretty young for a top-9/top-4, so that makes it a little harder for examples. Any of the older players they did have were on their last legs.

Koivu, Pommer, and Staal are the only players that really will qualify as old and might get something for a younger return within the next couple of seasons.

It would be nice to see if they could get something for Hanzal's UFA rights. Or a stick of gum (lightly chewed) for Kuemper's UFA rights.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

The core currently is Koivu/Parise/Suter, they make the most money and are considered the 'leaders' of the team. Burns was traded before Suter/Parise got here. Pominville was added, but he isn't any part of the core. Similar to Heatley. A declining winger that we can't get rid of.

A head coach doesn't affect the core of players - or rather, they do by getting management to trade players that doesn't fit.

Nino for Clutterbuck isn't what I consider a huge change. Clutterbuck was on his way out and a fan favorite, but no one saw him as one of the leaders of the team.

Trading someone like Spurgeron, Granlund, or Coyle (which would be dumb), would be a pretty good shakeup. Trading an aging vet like Koivu would signal a huge change to the team equivalent to Weber, Subban, Spezza, Staal, Richards.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

No, this is what I asked: What trades have the Wild done in the last 5 years where we've sent out a significant piece of this team who's aging and declining in play for young prospects?

How does that describe Clutterbuck?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I was pessimistic before last season, thinking we'd barely scrape into the playoffs, then lose in the first round.... Then, lo and behold, Staal played like it was 2009, Koivu continued to play well, Doobs was talked about for the Vezina, and the young guys, Granlund, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Brodin, Dumba....all had their best seasons, and by a long shot.

Then we lost in the first round. Same old, same old.

It's like the season was a mirage.

I really don't know what direction to go in from here. I'm guessing that Fletcher will more or less sit tight, hope that the good seasons from last year will continue, and work some new blood such as Ek, Olofsson, and Tuch into the lineup.

We really need an inspirational leader in the playoffs. I like Koivu, but he has proven multiple times it's not him. Suter has a perceived selfishness to his game and demeanor that eliminates him from being a leader. Granlund has shown flashes at times, but I just don't think he's good enough. Coyle? Mr. Inconsistency? Dubnyk....Mr. Day Late and a Dollar Short.
Parise should be the guy, but I think he is aging out, and has lost that physical edge that made him a top player. Sad for us. Not good for our cap.

we've come full circle to a FAmiliar place. Next year, I can easily see Poms, Koivu, Staal, Dubnyk, and Suter being worse. Probably one of the young guys too. One of Dumba/Scandella/ Brodin gone. Maybe Haula, too? Tuch, Ek, and Olofsson will have to contribute just for us to break even. Wild cards are Reilly, Kunin...maybe a yet to be named backup goalie?

Yuck, yuck, yuck. We are in moderately good limbo.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I was pessimistic before last season, thinking we'd barely scrape into the playoffs, then lose in the first round.... Then, lo and behold, Staal played like it was 2009, Koivu continued to play well, Doobs was talked about for the Vezina, and the young guys, Granlund, Nino, Zucker, Coyle, Brodin, Dumba....all had their best seasons, and by a long shot.

Then we lost in the first round. Same old, same old.

It's like the season was a mirage.

I really don't know what direction to go in from here. I'm guessing that Fletcher will more or less sit tight, hope that the good seasons from last year will continue, and work some new blood such as Ek, Olofsson, and Tuch into the lineup.

We really need an inspirational leader in the playoffs. I like Koivu, but he has proven multiple times it's not him. Suter has a perceived selfishness to his game and demeanor that eliminates him from being a leader. Granlund has shown flashes at times, but I just don't think he's good enough. Coyle? Mr. Inconsistency? Dubnyk....Mr. Day Late and a Dollar Short.
Parise should be the guy, but I think he is aging out, and has lost that physical edge that made him a top player. Sad for us. Not good for our cap.

we've come full circle to a FAmiliar place. Next year, I can easily see Poms, Koivu, Staal, Dubnyk, and Suter being worse. Probably one of the young guys too. One of Dumba/Scandella/ Brodin gone. Maybe Haula, too? Tuch, Ek, and Olofsson will have to contribute just for us to break even. Wild cards are Reilly, Kunin...maybe a yet to be named backup goalie?

Yuck, yuck, yuck. We are in moderately good limbo.[/

You good make comments about all the other 29 teams that don't win the cup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad