Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Top clear-cut #1 goalies play 60-70 games if healthy all year, that's 12-22 games for their backups. We happen to have one of those goalies. Barring injury or major struggles, Kuemper wasn't going to see 30 games, so his job was to make the best out of the 18 that he saw. He couldn't, and that's why he gone.

Not only that, but had Kuemper been able to hold his weight on his 18 games, he would have had a larger workload and may have reached as high as 25 games which would have been a Godsend for Dubnyk down the stretch.

Kuemper was so bad though that when things were looking critical, the team was forced to play Dubs despite little rest because Kuemper couldn't be trusted.

That late season Winnipeg game was proof positive of that... 5-1 lead quickly became 5-5 and Dubs had to some in for the rescue... so the team could barely scrape out a 6-5 win.

The Wild skaters were pretty much schooling the Jets defensively, but Kuemper let in softie after softie... giving up huge rebounds constantly.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I saw the Dallas goalie thread on the main board and thought that exact same thing. Flip pom for niemi which solves our issues and helps Dallas with there issues

Seems like a good fit for a deal even if it is just Pominville for Niemi. $1.1m in cap savings, one year shorter term than Pominville, we get our backup goalie, etc. Dallas gets rid of someone they are most likely going to buyout anyway.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Seems like a good fit for a deal even if it is just Pominville for Niemi. $1.1m in cap savings, one year shorter term than Pominville, we get our backup goalie, etc. Dallas gets rid of someone they are most likely going to buyout anyway.

They might not like the extra year on his deal, not sure what their situation is like after next season.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

i was hoping to give stalock a shot but i like it. if dallas agrees , make it so #1!

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I keep coming back to Puljujarvi. He could really be something special for the Wild, and he's at a position of need. Would probably cost Dumba, but I think there is a potential deal there.

Dumba for Puljujarv + Ethan Bear (puck-moving RHD prospect).

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
I keep coming back to Puljujarvi. He could really be something special for the Wild, and he's at a position of need. Would probably cost Dumba, but I think there is a potential deal there.

So Dumba for a big RW'er?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Harding, Fernandez, Roloson - that's a pretty good cast to hang your hat on to be honest.

Harding was the only one that developed with the Wild. Roloson had over 100 games before he got the the Wild at 32 years old. Fernandez had a decent year as a backup with Dallas the year before the Wild got him.

The "what could have been" with Harding is the biggest question for the franchise the last ~4 years. I hope the guy is doing okay in life right now.

Kemps had some bad games (Jets), but he also had some really bad luck/fluky goals this year. The Nuks game stands out to me, 5 GA and everything was a redirect, pinball, or screened type of goal. The Kings game where the team just quit playing after up 2-0.

All I want from a backup goalie, during the season, is a standings point per game average (Kemps was at the level). 20 games for the backup and the starter needs to get 4p in 3 games (average) for his 62 games and its standings 103 points.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dubnyk doesnt have great rebound control, but has great support moving the puck out of the way.
Comparing Dubnyk's rebound control to Kuemper's is almost night and day.
Just no. You need to get off the Mittelstadt train. Not solving a Divisional rivals biggest need for a maybe 3 years from now.
If you look in depth at the deal it's short term loss for a potential huge long term gain. A top prospect (not necessarily Mittlestadt), cap relief, not having to protect Pominville, getting a one year shorter deal, and getting a backup goalie. Could you imagine going into a free agency with Tavares there with $10m in cap space? He probably wants to go to a contender. Or the possibilities that open up through trade when you have cap space.

I'd love to see the reaction of Oiler fans of that deal you proposed. It won't go over well. Also love the fascination you have with trading Dumba for anyone you can possibly think of.
I'd do the second one in a heartbeat, which means Dallas wouldn't.
I'd think they consider it for sure.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Niemi wouldn't be a good enough backup?

$4.5m ($167k more than Dub is making) for a 34 yo backup that has been going in the wrong direction the last 2 seasons?

His buyout is $1.5mx2, so a $4.1m savings over Pommer's salary for the next 2 years. I'd be happier retaining the $1.5m on a Pommer trade and getting something useful back after July 1st.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
$4.5m ($167k more than Dub is making) for a 34 yo backup that has been going in the wrong direction the last 2 seasons?

His buyout is $1.5mx2, so a $4.1m savings over Pommer's salary for the next 2 years. I'd be happier retaining the $1.5m on a Pommer trade and getting something useful back after July 1st.

Yeah, but the savings in year 2 is greater since Pommer has 2yrs left and Niemi only 1.

That way there is no carry forward. He's going the wrong way - thus shouldn't be a starter, but he can be a viable backup still.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Niemi wouldn't be a good enough backup?

He wouldn't be on my top-10 UFA goalie list if Dallas bought him out. I realize 3-5 of the UFA goalies will probably get starting jobs which will put us out of the running, but if we were spending a couple million I'd like to think we could get something better. There's also the options that Vegas might have as they could draft 4-5 goalies and then move a couple, and seeing as right now one of their top-3 players will be from us I'd like to think we'd be in a favorable situation to deal with them.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He wouldn't be on my top-10 UFA goalie list if Dallas bought him out. I realize 3-5 of the UFA goalies will probably get starting jobs which will put us out of the running, but if we were spending a couple million I'd like to think we could get something better. There's also the options that Vegas might have as they could draft 4-5 goalies and then move a couple, and seeing as right now one of their top-3 players will be from us I'd like to think we'd be in a favorable situation to deal with them.

Who exactly do you have in mind that we have a legit shot of signing?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Keep in mind, we still have Stalock if Niemi doesn't hold up... and after the year we're free and clear 100% cap-wise which is the biggest benefit.

Why trade with Vegas and cost even more assets and still likely have the Pominville deal on the books when you can get out from that deal sooner than scheduled... address a bit of a need and get a top 5 pick in the process as well?

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Who exactly do you have in mind that we have a legit shot of signing?

Its too early to say. We don't know what our cap situation will be. And I don't know who the teams in need of #1 will choose(Winnipeg, Calgary, Philly, maybe Ottawa/Vancouver), as those guys will certainly not be options. The Fleury domino needs to fall as well, as I do expect him to fill in somewhere. After that there's a bunch of teams like us looking for a goalie. Vegas will probably have extras as well.

For me, the difference between Stalock and Niemi would be less than 5 points(and about the same results as Kuemper this past season), assuming Dubnyk is healthy. Not worth 3.4M for me when we're fighting for every penny.

If our cap prevents us from affording Pominville and Dallas were indeed interested(along with Pominville himself) in that swap, a Niemi buy-out opens 4.1M of cap space from Pominville's number, which is significant. I don't know if our cap situation will be that bad though, might just be trading Haula and lose Brodin in to Vegas. I'd take Pominville + Stalock over Niemi + Haula, and cap-hits would be similar. Pominville's a pretty good player too, if we can fit him I don't see the reason to dump him. If we're worried about next offseason, just buy him out then and keep a quality middle-6er in the line-up.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
What if Fletcher shocked the world... and didn't move either Dumba or Brodin... and instead traded Spurgeon?

What do you think we could get? He's starting to pick up legit respect across the league these days and would provide the largest cap relief of the 3.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
What if Fletcher shocked the world... and didn't move either Dumba or Brodin... and instead traded Spurgeon?

What do you think we could get? He's starting to pick up legit respect across the league these days and would provide the largest cap relief of the 3.

I just don't think we'd get what I'd deem acceptable for a player I consider to have been a top-3 player on our team for each of the past 3 seasons.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I just don't think we'd get what I'd deem acceptable for a player I consider to have been a top-3 player on our team for each of the past 3 seasons.

Why? What do you think the return would actually be?

Last year I'd agree with you completely, but I think he's found new recognition for his accomplishments this season and GM's around the league see that.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

Anything less than an under 25 bonafide #1C is underpayment.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

The only problem is we would run a top 4 of

Suter - Dumba
Scandella - Brodin

Not that great.

Not to mention IF Vegas picks up Scandella:

Suter - Dumba
Brodin - Olofsson? Reilly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad