Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly I like it as a fan of both teams. Scandella is exactly what BOS needs right now. It's a slight overpay so I'm sure hardcore B's fans would not like it.

We could give them our second.

Because that's what we do.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Generally true, not always for a guy who's a Hall of Famer like Iginla (or Jagr). He's had good results this season despite playing for one of the league's worst squads. That said, there's a lot more season to go. He need not be the top the of the wishlist, but he's a sentimental favorite.

I guess I'd like to see the guy win a Cup :nod:

What I Like about him is his toughness. Even if the legs are gone, he can still be stuck in the lineup as a guy who will make us tougher, if we run into a team who wants to play that way. A better Gabriel, if you will.

There is always a chance that he gets inspired for one more last run, in which case it would be a major win to get him. He's definitely worth a third, and maybe a " B " prospect like Lucia. The cap might be a bit of a problem.... What is it, about 40% of the yearly cap total at the TDL?

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
This is crucial to our success :laugh:

I'd be okay with Frederic+1st for Scandella

I would if expansion wasn't coming.

Scandella+ dumba/granlund/nino out, frederic+1st in
Vs
Dumba/scandella out, no one in

I'll take the latter but it's close

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would if expansion wasn't coming.

Scandella+ dumba/granlund/nino out, frederic+1st in
Vs
Dumba/scandella out, no one in

I'll take the latter but it's close

That's why Fletcher gets the big bucks. I would've chosen the first scenario easily if we weren't on a 7 game winning streak. Still not sure how good of a team we are. We'll have a better idea in a couple of months. Would like to play CHI, and get a gauge there.

If Nino, Coyle, and Granlund all score 10 more points than their career best( which seems possible), and the old guard keep plugging away, with Parise looking decent ....we'll probably be a Cup contender. Don't see the West being as strong this year as in the past. Unless Olofsson or Reilly start playing out of their mind, we're a better team with Scandella, so we keep him.

Frederic and a first is nice, but not likely to bear fruit for a couple three years at the earliest, if at all. A top 4 Dman like Scandella takes a long time to develop.... Tough to lose him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's why Fletcher gets the big bucks. I would've chosen the first scenario easily if we weren't on a 7 game winning streak. Still not sure how good of a team we are. We'll have a better idea in a couple of months. Would like to play CHI, and get a gauge there.

If Nino, Coyle, and Granlund all score 10 more points than their career best( which seems possible), and the old guard keep plugging away, with Parise looking decent ....we'll probably be a Cup contender. Don't see the West being as strong this year as in the past. Unless Olofsson or Reilly start playing out of their mind, we're a better team with Scandella, so we keep him.

Frederic and a first is nice, but not likely to bear fruit for a couple three years at the earliest, if at all. A top 4 Dman like Scandella takes a long time to develop.... Tough to lose him.

Really? The first scenario is horrid.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think we should either keep both Dumba and Scandella, losing one for nothing at the draft, OR trade both before the draft. The latter scenario would assume the Wild falls off a cliff, and aren't a factor as a Cup contender.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Coyle/Nino/Granlund/Zucker/Haula/Koivu/Parise

Suter/Spurgeon/Brodin

Dubnyk

Pominville either waives or is bought out. Staal isn't going to be taken over Scandella or Dumba. Scandella or Dumba gets nabbed.

The Wild have 5 top 3 caliber defenseman. And 4 or 5 #4/#5/#6 defenseman. Losing Scandella would even free up money to sign the rest of the guys and not damage the team that much.

Pretty simple.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Staal continues to play as is, he will get taken. He is also worth more to us Haula, Granlund, Zucker, especially with his smallish cap hit. Have to protect him.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
If Staal continues to play as is, he will get taken. He is also worth more to us Haula, Granlund, Zucker, especially with his smallish cap hit. Have to protect him.

Exactly - Captain, cup-winner, excellent 2 way center, no way Vegas passes on that, especially given his performance this year.

Lose a D'man. Wild have the depth to absorb that.

Look at the effect he had on the Wild.

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Exactly - Captain, cup-winner, excellent 2 way center, no way Vegas passes on that, especially given his performance this year.

Lose a D'man. Wild have the depth to absorb that.

Look at the effect he had on the Wild.

Nah. You don't protect a 32 year old over 24 year olds who are playing well. Vegas won't take Staal and if they do it's a hit, but you'll have to take it. And if they take Staal and let you keep both Scandella and Dumba....well that's a win in my book.

No way Vegas takes Staal even if he hits 65.

Not over Scandella or Dumba...that's gotta be just about the best D they are going to be able to get. If you are worried though I would concede that you could protect Staal over Haula because they won't take Haula over Scandella or Dumba

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Nah. You don't protect a 32 year old over 24 year olds who are playing well. Vegas won't take Staal and if they do it's a hit, but you'll have to take it. And if they take Staal and let you keep both Scandella and Dumba....well that's a win in my book.

Not over Scandella or Dumba...that's gotta be just about the best D they are going to be able to get. If you are worried though I would concede that you could protect Staal over Haula because they won't take Haula over Scandella or Dumba

Staal is an easy pick over Scandella. Staal is a 1/2C, Scandella is a nice 2nd pair d-man. Losing Staal definitely hurts the Wild more than losing Scandella.

How long have the Wild been lacking a goal scoring 1/2C? Granlund as 2C had totals of 8,8,13g. Replacements of Granny back to center, Coyle back to center, Haula, Graovac, Dalpe, or JEE as 2C really don't fill what Staal has brought (so far).

Scandella (#5D) being replaced by Olofsson or Reilly sound like a much better option to me.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

GMs are much more concerned with winning and actual production, than they are about age. It's why every team in the league has a hot shot prospect their fans are pissed doesn't get ice time over an aging vet.

If Staal is exposed, he's as good as gone.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I always thought there were mo trades allowed in between the TDL and the Draft, but turns out I'm wrong, it's just that the players traded for can't play for the team till the next year.

When we get knocked out of the playoffs , we can then choose to trade 2 Dmen before the Expansion draft for either an elite forward (who we will be happy to protect), draft ineligible players, or prospects/ picks, correct?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I always thought there were mo trades allowed in between the TDL and the Draft, but turns out I'm wrong, it's just that the players traded for can't play for the team till the next year.

When we get knocked out of the playoffs , we can then choose to trade 2 Dmen before the Expansion draft for either an elite forward (who we will be happy to protect), draft ineligible players, or prospects/ picks, correct?

Close, its actually that the player can't play in the playoffs.

So you can trade for a player the day after the Trade Deadline, and he can suit up for you the remaining 15-20 games of the regular season. But he's not allowed to play in the playoffs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think they can play, just not in the playoffs. We could technically do that I believe, though very unlikely. I wonder if there's a roster freeze before the expansion draft to give Vegas time to figure everything out with final rosters.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Close, its actually that the player can't play in the playoffs.

So you can trade for a player the day after the Trade Deadline, and he can suit up for you the remaining 15-20 games of the regular season. But he's not allowed to play in the playoffs.

Yeah, but I'm saying I wouldn't want to trade the players till AFTER we are knocked out of the playoffs, as it would make us a weaker team, albeit one with stronger prospects for the future.

Let's say we trade the S & S boys(9.2 M cap). Resign Folin for what, 2M per? Spend some money for a bottom pairing vet Dman...hell , maybe even Prosser. Maybe a vet Dman comes back in trade. At least one of Olofsson or Reilly should be ready for significant playing time by then. We will be weaker on D, but will have freed up a lot of cap space, making re-signing Nino a non issue.

The benefit should be that we will get value coming back for our Dmen. If we can get Poms to waive, we might come out of this only losing only a Haula/Folin rather than a Scandella/Dumba. We should also get some good young talent coming back, which would ensure a good future as the old guard ages.

Not saying this is THE scenario, but it is an option. We get to go on a Cup run, and get value for some darn good Dmen.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah, but I'm saying I wouldn't want to trade the players till AFTER we are knocked out of the playoffs, as it would make us a weaker team, albeit one with stronger prospects for the future.

Let's say we trade the S & S boys(9.2 M cap). Resign Folin for what, 2M per? Spend some money for a bottom pairing vet Dman...hell , maybe even Prosser. Maybe a vet Dman comes back in trade. At least one of Olofsson or Reilly should be ready for significant playing time by then. We will be weaker on D, but will have freed up a lot of cap space, making re-signing Nino a non issue.

The benefit should be that we will get value coming back for our Dmen. If we can get Poms to waive, we might come out of this only losing only a Haula/Folin rather than a Scandella/Dumba. We should also get some good young talent coming back, which would ensure a good future as the old guard ages.

Not saying this is THE scenario, but it is an option. We get to go on a Cup run, and get value for some darn good Dmen.

I got what you we're saying for the scenerio, and it 's something that can be explored.

Just correcting the technicalities of the rule. I gotta be That Guy

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can live with a D of;

Suter Dumba
Brodin Reilly
Folin Prosser Olofsson

if we know that out talent pool just got topped up , and by that I mean at least two more first rounders + an "A" prospect, or something similar.

Scandella has to be worth a mid round first at least, Spurgeon quite a bit more. Either a really early first( who knows, maybe LV's?) with a small add, or a top prospect. Maybe even a top forward, if we add a Haula.

Unfortunately, I don't see any franchise changing talents in the 2017 draft.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
i always thought there were mo trades allowed in between the tdl and the draft, but turns out i'm wrong, it's just that the players traded for can't play for the team till the next year.

when we win the cup , we can then choose to trade 2 dmen before the expansion draft for either an elite forward (who we will be happy to protect), draft ineligible players, or prospects/ picks, correct?

ftfy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany