Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think its his swan song. He wants the family at the games in St. Paul and to retire at home. Same as last time he signed here. He wanted to play in front of family. The only reason he was not resigned then was Fletcher didn't want to insult him with a crappy contract. Not saying he should take a $750k contract and have fun, but he should understand the Wild are cap strung and they'll most likely have to rotate him out for a few games just to keep him fresh anyways. If he would truly want to retire in Minnesota, this is the prime chance to do it.

You're right, he'll probably be prepared to take less to play here or in PIT, who is in the same situation cap wise as the Wild. Remember, he and Rutherford go way back. I think both GM's would be happy to pay him 2M for one year, but they simply can't do it.

I would imagine that both are trying to clear as much cap as possible so that they can give him an offer that isn't insulting. I'm thinking 1.5M or so.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
You're right, he'll probably be prepared to take less to play here or in PIT, who is in the same situation cap wise as the Wild. Remember, he and Rutherford go way back. I think both GM's would be happy to pay him 2M for one year, but they simply can't do it.

I would imagine that both are trying to clear as much cap as possible so that they can give him an offer that isn't insulting. I'm thinking 1.5M or so.

Not a single Wild fan can complain at 1.5M for him as a 4th line center. Not to mention when the impending injury to a center happens, he can certainly take on more minutes as needed too. This means less chance of Granlund or Coyle having to leave the wing to take over centering duties again.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i'd take sam gagner or cullen if at a very reasonable price. i'd like to point out if CF hadn't given away all our 2nd picks like halloween candy we may have been able to land RNH for dumba + 2nd. just sayin.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. Would be an ideal situation to bring along a young player in the third spot on the 4th line. Having a classy pro like Cullen teaching him , and Stewart watching his back.

Stewart might actually score a few if Cullen is setting him up.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
i'd take sam gagner or cullen if at a very reasonable price. i'd like to point out if CF hadn't given away all our 2nd picks like halloween candy we may have been able to land RNH for dumba + 2nd. just sayin.

I can't see a 2nd being the sticking point for EDM in that deal. They've got picks out the wazoo. MN simply can't take on that extra cap.

I would guess that there is more to that deal. I would bet that EDM wanted Granlund, or Haula, also. Dumba simply isn't worth RNH. A mid second isn't worth much, and certainly wouldn't hold up a deal involving players of this stature, or potential stature.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I can't see a 2nd being the sticking point for EDM in that deal. They've got picks out the wazoo. MN simply can't take on that extra cap.

I would guess that there is more to that deal. I would bet that EDM wanted Granlund, or Haula, also. Dumba simply isn't worth RNH. A mid second isn't worth much, and certainly wouldn't hold up a deal involving players of this stature, or potential stature.

I would imagine they wanted Granlund. No one wants Haula as much as we pretend him to be as good as he is. Same with Zucker.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would imagine they wanted Granlund. No one wants Haula as much as we pretend him to be as good as he is. Same with Zucker.

I think you're wrong about Haula. His speed, FO %, and defensive ability make him a good option at 3C for a team that already has offensivelY talented C's. I just don't see him being included in a pkg. because his cap hit is so small, and his bang for the buck is so good. Granlund makes more.

Agree on Zucker.

I just think the rumored deal was missing some key elements. Doesn't make sense as is for either team.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Does anyone think that Pominville and/or Koivu would waive their NMC for the benefit of the team with how unlikely it is that they'd get picked by Vegas? Or would it be insulting to them to ask them?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Does anyone think that Pominville and/or Koivu would waive their NMC for the benefit of the team with how unlikely it is that they'd get picked by Vegas? Or would it be insulting to them to ask them?

Koivu would get snapped up in a second, barring a major drop off in production.

The Center market is going to be awful in expansion, he'd very likely be the best available. Regardless of his age or cost. He'd get picked.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Not a single Wild fan can complain at 1.5M for him as a 4th line center. Not to mention when the impending injury to a center happens, he can certainly take on more minutes as needed too. This means less chance of Granlund or Coyle having to leave the wing to take over centering duties again.

You'd be surprised.

I really hope we can get Cullen back here. Anything 1.5-2 would be amazing.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

The Center market is going to be awful in expansion, he'd very likely be the best available. Regardless of his age or cost. He'd get picked.

I doubt he'd get picked over Zucker honestly. They'd have him for one year when they could have a Hometown kid like Zucker for probably his entire career. I just can't see Koivu getting picked at 34 years old for 1 year.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
You'd be surprised.

I really hope we can get Cullen back here. Anything 1.5-2 would be amazing.

Not saying I want him playing on the Wild this young, but Fletcher said if JEE plays well enough at camp he has a chance of playing on the Wild. If he did make the team I would like to see him play in the middle between Cullen and Stewart. That could be a really good line for him to start his career on.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
-- As of now, Matt Cullen still waits for an offer from Pittsburgh or the Wild. I had GM Chuck Fletcher on KFAN on Sunday morning and he indicated he wants to be patient with his extra cap space right now. He's hoping for bargains later in the summer or potential trades with his belief that certain teams tight against the cap or over the cap will be forced to make moves as we get closer to camp.

We'll see. If the Wild offered a deal to Cullen before the Pens, I believe he'd take it. I think there's little doubt the Wild needs at least one more NHL body, and Cullen has the ability to move up and down the lineup, keep Bruce Boudreau from having to move Mikael Granlund or Charlie Coyle back to wing if there are injuries and could aid the Wild's penalty kill, which ranked 27th last season.

http://m.startribune.com/darcy-kuemper-re-signed-jordan-schroeder-files-for-arbitration/385590641/

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wild can offer Cullen a 750k, 1year deal in August but I wouldn't door than that and personally don't really care one way or the other.

Still praying Fletcher makes trades for a high skilled center and also right wing. Won't happen but praying.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

The question is, does Minnesota want him back and what does Koivu see himself signing? Barring a miracle, Koivu is getting slower. Personally, I'd offer Koivu before Granlund.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

I point this out in good humor: Do you not see the irony of ragging on Fletch for trading his 2nds and then proposing he trade a 2nd in the very same sentence? LOL

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Oil fan coming in peace. Just wondering about Nuge for Spurgeon if salary is an issue in the Dumba based deals. Also want Haula, what would have to be added?

Nuge + ??? lands Spurgeon and Haula?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Oil fan coming in peace. Just wondering about Nuge for Spurgeon if salary is an issue in the Dumba based deals. Also want Haula, what would have to be added?

Many many threads about RNH to MIN in the trade boards.

Personally I dont want him for low producing player at 6mil cap. Wild needs top20 center with a medium term contract to carry the franchise.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Do think Fletcher will evaluate the season and then decide if its worth asking. Up to the players, I don't think either would get taken but in their shoes I wouldn't waive a clause I earned unless I wanted out.

Not sure it would be in the best interests of an expansion team to select a 34 year old forward with 1 year remaining on his contract, but who knows, if we protect 5 D and Coyle/Nino/Parise and all our other forwards fail to progress then Koivu just might be the best option, even if its only for a year.

J22*

After spending the last week reading how valuable Oiler fans think Larsson and Klefbom are, I'm not sure you could afford Spurgeon.

Do think Fletcher will evaluate the season and then decide if its worth asking. Up to the players, I don't think either would get taken but in their shoes I wouldn't waive a clause I earned unless I wanted out.

Not sure it would be in the best interests of an expansion team to select a 34 year old forward with 1 year remaining on his contract, but who knows, if we protect 5 D and Coyle/Nino/Parise and all our other forwards fail to progress then Koivu just might be the best option, even if its only for a year.

Koivu himself might not be all that valuable to Vegas, but taking him would pretty much guarantee a 1st round pick and a very good prospect from a contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille