Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I guess I will say it for a 3rd time. Fletcher is the one holding the deal up. The exact quote is "if Wild want him, it's done" That's not Fletcher deciding if what Cullen is asking for is fair. and it's not Cullen deciding if he can get a better deal somewhere else.

My question is what is the holdup? For a team with 3 centers and a terrible PK, Cullen is a godsend.

Yeah, it seems thatnCullen would be the perfect counterpart to Stewart on the fourth line.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
Could be a trade? If they lost dumba and added a big contract the cap gets tight

J22*

Could be a trade? If they lost dumba and added a big contract the cap gets tight

That might help make some sense out of it, but I don't think they could do a Dumba for a big contract trade now anyway?

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Cullen played out of position here when he was in a top 2 roll. Now, if we could get him as a 4th line center that would be absolutely perfect and I hope Fletcher is able to get that done.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
A guy I think would be a stellar 4th liner that's on the market still is Dom Moore. He's a little older too but solid character guy who's good on the PK and great in the faceoff dot.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Again, there is no chance that a Cullen contract has any affect on Dumba or Kuemper. The Wild need to have a 4th line, the difference between having one of the young guys on it or signing Cullen isn't going to be significant enough to matter.

Go figure, Fletcher confirmed my guess, Dumba and Kuemper's contracts need to be finalized before bringing in anyone else.

J22*

Oh you didn't know? I thought you knew everything... it was when Fletcher was on KFAN.

I heard Fletcher on KFAN this morning. In fact I heard him distinctly say that he knows the parameters of the Dumba and Kuemper deals well enough that he didn't think either one would hold him back from making moves.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I heard Fletcher on KFAN this morning. In fact I heard him distinctly say that he knows the parameters of the Dumba and Kuemper deals well enough that he didn't think either one would hold him back from making moves.

Not even close to what Fletcher said, but nice try.

J22*

Not even close to what Fletcher said, but nice try.

http://kfan.iheart.com/media/play/27125741/

1:17:25

Russo: do you feel like you need to sign Dumba and Kuemper first to figure out exactly how many pennies you have left? Or can you make a move before you get that done?

Fletcher: We can make a move before then. I think we have a pretty good idea what the market place for those players are. In fact we've had conversations with their agents and I don't think there's a wild discrepancy in how we value them and how they value them.

I guess you just hear what you want to hear?

Fletcher did say that the reason he hasn't made any more moves(Cullen) is because he's trying to be a little patient with the money he does have left in case something/somebody unexpected shakes out. Which does makes a lot of sense to me.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Habs fan coming in peace :handclap:

With the expansion coming, I don't know what is your plan in regards of protecting your D's (Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon and Scandella).

Would you guys be comfortable with something like :

1st 2017
Charles Hudon (Good AHL stats, NHL ready IMO, plays all 3 positions)

for

Marco Scandella

Just gauging value and needs, as we truly need a good skating LHD to play with Weber.

On your side (I might be wrong, that's why I'm on your board haha), you'll have to expose one of the 4 and you're looking to compete, so Hudon could step in and help you on offence.

J22*

Habs fan coming in peace :handclap:

With the expansion coming, I don't know what is your plan in regards of protecting your D's (Brodin, Dumba, Spurgeon and Scandella).

Would you guys be comfortable with something like :

1st 2017
Charles Hudon (Good AHL stats, NHL ready IMO, plays all 3 positions)

for

Marco Scandella

Just gauging value and needs, as we truly need a good skating LHD to play with Weber.

On your side (I might be wrong, that's why I'm on your board haha), you'll have to expose one of the 4 and you're looking to compete, so Hudon could step in and help you on offence.

The Wild, like every other team in the league, are going to have to give up a talented player for free. Why would they give up an additional player for pennies on the dollar just so the player they give up for free isn't as good?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well we have to expose two of that group actually. So the problem is if we trade one of them, we'd still be at risk of losing a second player then to the expansion draft. That's why I think Fletcher isn't willing to give one of them up for cheap. That said, a 1st + for Scandella isn't bad. There's just not a reason to get worse at the moment when we might lose a second defenseman anyway.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Any Dman for a 1st is a horrible trade and a failure of imagination.

Lets say that Wild have to expose one of Dumba or Brodin, trading one of them for an asset you don't have to protect such as a pick or prospects is better than exposing them and losing them.

You could be with out Brodin, or you could be Without Brodin but have a 1st round pick, one is a better choice than the other.

J22*

Lets say that Wild have to expose one of Dumba or Brodin, trading one of them for an asset you don't have to protect such as a pick or prospects is better than exposing them and losing them.

You could be with out Brodin, or you could be Without Brodin but have a 1st round pick, one is a better choice than the other.

You would have to trade 2 dmen for your plan to work though

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
He's 40 years old and a 4th line player, there isn't much money or term to negotiate. The term will be 1 year with zero negotiation from either side. The money will be between 800K and 1.5M-ish.

And like I said, Russo is saying that the Wild are the ones holding up the deal. It isn't Cullen waiting to see if he can get a better offer.

Cullen was way more than just a 4th Line player during the Playoffs and in the regular season. He was out there a lot in critical situations, he wasn't some 4th line pug taking up a few minutes who sits in key situations or at the end of periods. He took a ton of critical defensive zone face-offs.

And his PK work was outstanding.

The guy might be 40 but thinking he's old and slow indicates the person posting that opinion doesn't watch the game.

IMO the $2 mil is absurd. $1 mil would be top end.

The Wild needs a 4th Line Center. If Graovac can't beat him out for the job, then Graovac doesn't deserve the job.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

No, you would trade one full value this offseason and a second next. Or else you are a bad GM.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No, you would trade one full value this offseason and a second next. Or else you are a bad GM.

Or you take the hit in a year and still return one of the best d-cores in the NHL. We'd lose ONE player. No need to go and trade two for draft picks and then lose a player on top of that.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

My bad on thinking we'd only have to trade one. But this also wouldn't work because if you trade for a quality asset you'd still have to protect them anyways.

This will be an interesting situation tho, hope zucker shows a decent flash and LV takes him.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I see the expansion as a possibility. We'll either lose a forward which shouldn't impact us much as all important forwards are protected or will have had zero net cost (Staal) OR we lose a defender with a substantial caphit (although a skilled one). Either way, we'll create capspace and a roster spot for one young guy. It's not like our NHL roster will lose a guy permanently. We'll just have Olofsson/Reilly play regular minutes or one of our top forward prospects. Change is good.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cullen was way more than just a 4th Line player during the Playoffs and in the regular season. He was out there a lot in critical situations, he wasn't some 4th line pug taking up a few minutes who sits in key situations or at the end of periods. He took a ton of critical defensive zone face-offs.

And his PK work was outstanding.

The guy might be 40 but thinking he's old and slow indicates the person posting that opinion doesn't watch the game.

IMO the $2 mil is absurd. $1 mil would be top end.

The Wild needs a 4th Line Center. If Graovac can't beat him out for the job, then Graovac doesn't deserve the job.

Cullen scored 32 points while getting no PP TOI, and playing very good defense. He still skates well, can handle the puck, and is a decent size. If he isn't asking for term, why shouldn't he get MUCH more than 1M? I know the Pens and Wild have little cap space, but I don't see why he should take relative chump change when he clearly has more value compared to his peers. Wild would be lucky if he came here for that.

32 points is not the production of a fourth liner.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Cullen scored 32 points while getting no PP TOI, and playing very good defense. He still skates well, can handle the puck, and is a decent size. If he isn't asking for term, why shouldn't he get MUCH more than 1M? I know the Pens and Wild have little cap space, but I don't see why he should take relative chump change when he clearly has more value compared to his peers. Wild would be lucky if he came here for that.

32 points is not the production of a fourth liner.

I think its his swan song. He wants the family at the games in St. Paul and to retire at home. Same as last time he signed here. He wanted to play in front of family. The only reason he was not resigned then was Fletcher didn't want to insult him with a crappy contract. Not saying he should take a $750k contract and have fun, but he should understand the Wild are cap strung and they'll most likely have to rotate him out for a few games just to keep him fresh anyways. If he would truly want to retire in Minnesota, this is the prime chance to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad