Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why bring back Cullen? We have enough centers, unless Fletch is looking to move one. We're getting older and slower by the minute. And I know we want to move some guys to wing, but come on. Bringing Cullen back would feel like them trying to bring Bruno back. It's done. Let it go. Feels like we're really trying to make up for not having a true #1 center by just loading up on #2-4 centermen. The contracts today we're fine. Leave it as is and see how the season shakes out.

While I feel where you are coming from, Cullen is an outlier when it comes to aging, slow, vets- unlike Stewart and Staal. He still has speed and health. He would be a great option on a fourth line, especially with Stewart backing him up.

My only objection to signing him would be ;

1- cost. He would get upwards of 2M, I would guess.

2- he might block younger guys from getting a chance with the big team. This is less of a problem, to me. If a Graovac, or ??, is killing it in Iowa, then comes up and kills it here, then Cullen ( or some other player), can always be traded.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Has Spurgeon's NMC kicked in now, or is that in 2017?

Capfriendly says it's after next season. After 7 years NHL time is when you can get them? (going from memory).

It's only listed there as a M-NTC. /shrug

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
I'm still deciding on whether or not I like signing Cullen. He's still a good enough player and would add a lot of depth and leadership. However, it would block younger guys like Graovac for example and you wonder if that wouldn't get in Haulas head after the season he just had.

I almost think with the extra cap space do you potentially dangle one of Nino or Granlund+ a kuemper or a prospect of some value for a legit scoring winger. Maybe that package isn't enough but both Nino and Granlund will be RFA's next year. I like both players and don't really want to trade either but if you can get back a proven scoring winger that can give us two equally dangerous lines, I'd think about it for sure. I'm not sure who's rumored to be available though

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
No trades, no nmc, no long deals, we got another center (preferred Backes but not at the price or term he got), whew, I can breathe easy. :)

Start the season.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I haven't been this disappointed in the Wild since we nixed a Bouchard and Sheppard for Jokinen and instead picked up Chris Simon.

Really hoping Fletcher isn't done for the summer.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I haven't been this disappointed in the Wild since we nixed a Bouchard and Sheppard for Jokinen and instead picked up Chris Simon.

Really hoping Fletcher isn't done for the summer.

He signed a top-6 center that allows for Granlund & Coyle to move to wing. He signed a bottom-6 guy who's well-liked and will drop the gloves. He signed a Kuemper replacement. He gutted the coaching staff, fitness staff, etc.

What are you looking for him to do? Trade everyone without a NMC? The past few years Fletcher had made huge waves by acquiring/trading a top player. That's never gotten us past the 2nd round. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that you don't ALWAYS need to completely overhaul something to see progress. With all the recent changes we've made, I don't see why Fletcher needs to make ANOTHER move. He doesn't ALWAYS need to trade/sign the next savior of our team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
What are you disappointed about?
This was the most critical off season since Fletcher's hire. What was built wasn't enough to get passed the 2nd round. That's a good accomplishment, but the Cup is THREE more series wins above that level.

As I see it, the options were go with current core but make a major trade or two to bring in high talent young forwards OR just rebuild away from vets and towards young talent.

We didn't do either. We papered over the team.

Now, our best hope is we pull a Sharks or Rangers run before we hit a permanent wall.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
I am excited to see what this team can do with a real, nhl coach. We've only had cheap AHL promotions since.... JL.

Who knows what our expendables will be worth if we have a great season next year. Selling anybody now, is selling low IMO.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm still deciding on whether or not I like signing Cullen. He's still a good enough player and would add a lot of depth and leadership. However, it would block younger guys like Graovac for example and you wonder if that wouldn't get in Haulas head after the season he just had.

I almost think with the extra cap space do you potentially dangle one of Nino or Granlund+ a kuemper or a prospect of some value for a legit scoring winger. Maybe that package isn't enough but both Nino and Granlund will be RFA's next year. I like both players and don't really want to trade either but if you can get back a proven scoring winger that can give us two equally dangerous lines, I'd think about it for sure. I'm not sure who's rumored to be available though

Good. Graovac didn't exactly excel last year. Sure, injuries were a part of the cause, but IMO he hasn't earned his way to the NHL yet. He needs to force the issue, not be gifted a spot just because he's the best of our centers in Iowa.

I wouldn't bank on getting a scoring winger that we can afford cap-wise for either of those guys (Granlund or Nino), even without Cullen on the roster. It seems likely that we'll be looking at yet another buyout next off-season, but if we trade for a proven scoring winger, we definitely will be. I'm not sure there are too many of them available anyway, especially now that Edmonton has already dealt Hall.

It seems people think Cullen will pull in about $2 million in salary. I say maybe, but probably not. He just played for $800k last season, and at his age isn't likely to get much of a raise, even though he hasn't slowed down much. I think $1.5 is possible, but I think that's probably his ceiling right now, especially since he'll be playing bottom 6 anywhere he goes. I'd personally feel good taking him on at $1.3 million or less, and making the kids earn their spots.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This was the most critical off season since Fletcher's hire. What was built wasn't enough to get passed the 2nd round. That's a good accomplishment, but the Cup is THREE more series wins above that level.

As I see it, the options were go with current core but make a major trade or two to bring in high talent young forwards OR just rebuild away from vets and towards young talent.

We didn't do either. We papered over the team.

Now, our best hope is we pull a Sharks or Rangers run before we hit a permanent wall.

Our vet core (30+) is only 4 players now (Koivu, Pommer, Parise, Suter), all four are pretty much untradeable at the moment. Not counting Staal as part of the core, he hasn't played a game yet.

Our young talent is in the NHL or a year+ away. Staal is a bandaide fix, but it does allow for Granny and Coyle to develop more at the wings. Keeping our defense group together allows Dumba and Brodin a chance to develop the missing parts of their games. It also keeps Tuch/JEE in Iowa/Sweden so they can play 1st line minutes not 3rd line protected NHL time.

I'm guessing we'll get a transition year when Koivu's contract expires. Leaves 1 year on Pommer and Staal deals, and 2 of out FWD prospects (JEE, Tuch, Kunin, ect) should be NHL ready.

Forgot to add Dub to vet core.

J22*

So, Russo basically said that it's the Wild that are holding up on a Cullen deal, and that if they want him it's a done deal. How is it possible that this deal isn't done if that is in fact the truth?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So, Russo basically said that it's the Wild that are holding up on a Cullen deal, and that if they want him it's a done deal. How is it possible that this deal isn't done if that is in fact the truth?

Dumba's contract probably.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

It's either money or term. If i was Cullen, i wouldn't settle. He just played really well for a Cup winner, why should he?
I'm guessing that he would love to come back, but not at half the price he might get somewhere else.

J22*

It's either money or term. If i was Cullen, i wouldn't settle. He just played really well for a Cup winner, why should he?
I'm guessing that he would love to come back, but not at half the price he might get somewhere else.
He's 40 years old and a 4th line player, there isn't much money or term to negotiate. The term will be 1 year with zero negotiation from either side. The money will be between 800K and 1.5M-ish.

And like I said, Russo is saying that the Wild are the ones holding up the deal. It isn't Cullen waiting to see if he can get a better offer.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's 40 years old and a 4th line player, there isn't much money or term to negotiate. The term will be 1 year with zero negotiation from either side. The money will be between 800K and 1.5M-ish.

And like I said, Russo is saying that the Wild are the ones holding up the deal. It isn't Cullen waiting to see if he can get a better offer.
They don't know the final numbers on either Dumba or Kuemper yet... it makes sense to get their numbers finalized before finalizing Cullen's deal.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Did you not watch the playoffs? He was clutch, and showed he still has wheels, skill, savvy, and versatility. You speak of him as if he was in the same league as Porter or Carter. He ain't. Who cares if he's 40? He has shown he can still get it done, and that he is one of those anomalies that age bypasses.

If I was him I would be asking for 2M, or maybe 3.5M/2. We are lucky he wants to come back here, and might take a discount.
I don't know why. We already tossed him aside once. I know he still goes back to the Fargo/Moorhead area.

Last edited:

J22*

They don't know the final numbers on either Dumba or Kuemper yet... it makes sense to get their numbers finalized before finalizing Cullen's deal.

Again, there is no chance that a Cullen contract has any affect on Dumba or Kuemper. The Wild need to have a 4th line, the difference between having one of the young guys on it or signing Cullen isn't going to be significant enough to matter.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Did you not watch the playoffs? He was clutch, and showed he still has wheels, skill, savvy, and versatility. You speak of him as if he was in the same league as Porter or Carter. He ain't. Who cares if he's 40? He has shown he can still get it down, and that he is one of those anomalies that age bypasses.

If I was him I would be asking for 2M, or maybe 3.5M/2. We are lucky he wants to come back here, and might take a discount.
I don't know why. We already tossed him aside once.

We pay a plug like Prosser 800K, not a guy like Cullen.

He got $800K last year, very doubtful he's looking for a big pay increase considering he's 40 and has already made plenty in his career.

J22*

Did you not watch the playoffs? He was clutch, and showed he still has wheels, skill, savvy, and versatility. You speak of him as if he was in the same league as Porter or Carter. He ain't. Who cares if he's 40? He has shown he can still get it down, and that he is one of those anomalies that age bypasses.

I don't know why. We already tossed him aside once.

We pay a plug like Prosser 800K, not a guy like Cullen.

I guess I will say it for a 3rd time. Fletcher is the one holding the deal up. The exact quote is "if Wild want him, it's done" That's not Fletcher deciding if what Cullen is asking for is fair. and it's not Cullen deciding if he can get a better deal somewhere else.

My question is what is the holdup? For a team with 3 centers and a terrible PK, Cullen is a godsend.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Maybe they've told Cullen that they will sign him for a certain minimum number, but will give him more depending on how those numbers work out.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Again, there is no chance that a Cullen contract has any affect on Dumba or Kuemper. The Wild need to have a 4th line, the difference between having one of the young guys on it or signing Cullen isn't going to be significant enough to matter.

No, the Cullen contract has no affect on Dumba or Kuemper, but Dumba and Kuemper's contracts WILL affect Cullen's.

In a tight cap, all dollars and how they are given is important.

I guess I will say it for a 3rd time. Fletcher is the one holding the deal up. The exact quote is "if Wild want him, it's done" That's not Fletcher deciding if what Cullen is asking for is fair. and it's not Cullen deciding if he can get a better deal somewhere else.

My question is what is the holdup? For a team with 3 centers and a terrible PK, Cullen is a godsend.
Say it a 4th or 5th or 6th time too if you want, your opinion has no more weight than anyone else's. You asked a question and it appears most of us agree on an answer to that question, you just want to choose to dismiss the valid possibility.

Also, BTW - Graovac is also a center which makes 4 centers.
Maybe they've told Cullen that they will sign him for a certain minimum number, but will give him more depending on how those numbers work out.

Very possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad