Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hamonic could end up in Edmonton. But Oilers don't have what the Islander want - a right-shot young Dman and a replaceable winger to play with JT.

21 yr old Pulock is a RHD. He has looked promising in the playoffs. Isles like his upside a lot.
Pelech has also played well in his brief call up.
Small sample sizes. Gives Snow some in house options.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
leafs could use defense still. Would make a trade to get Nylander/(Laine/Matthews if they get top 2 pick)/ or maybe Marner.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
leafs could use defense still. Would make a trade to get Nylander/(Laine/Matthews if they get top 2 pick)/ or maybe Marner.
Leafs make a bad partner because they need a bit of everything. Which means selling any trade to that fan base will be hard.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Which part? The relationship was not good so they traded him AND a pick for an AHL prospect and a 2nd rounder. Yes he was productive - not denying that.

They traded him, because they couldn't get him to sign after trading a first for him. They couldn't afford to not recoup any assets off the deal.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm probably alone in this boat, but i'm of the opinion of mostly stand pat.

The Wild struggled this year, because they abandoned their system under Yeo, that had made them succesful under Yeo, because they hit a stretch of poor puck luck. And neither Yeo nor Torchetti could get them or tried to get them back to that system.

The Wild were at their best when they were focusing on entering/exiting zones with possession of the puck. As soon as we hit a skid where the pucks weren't going in, and we were shooting 4% that completely went out the window.

The 2nd half of the season was nothing but dump and chase going into the O zone, and chip the puck out into Neutral from the Dzone. We basically weren't even attempting breakouts.

If the Wild can get a coach that preaches maintaining control of the puck as opposed to "simplify your game", they'd be a heck of a lot more successful. It's not a coincidence the only line that was consistently entering the zone with the puck, the Haula line, was the line with the most success.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Fletcher cannot afford to stand pat. He has been aggressive when his job is secured, he's going to be swinging for the fence. Or maybe I am just projecting.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fletcher cannot afford to stand pat. He has been aggressive when his job is secured, he's going to be swinging for the fence. Or maybe I am just projecting.

I think Fletcher's job is a lot more secure than most fans think (or hope). Leipold find's his guys, and sticks with them. He's been an owner for almost 20 years with 2 teams, and has had basically 2 GMs (yes, he let Risebrough dangle for a year after he bought the team, but after he got the house in order he brough in his guy).

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think it's a 100% certainty that a blueliner is moved around the draft. No idea of the size of that deal, but it will happen.

I'd like to see a 3-way with the Oilers and Islanders based around Dumba-Hamonic-RNH, will us adding a pieces to get it done. And then some cap clearing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think it's a 100% certainty that a blueliner is moved around the draft. No idea of the size of that deal, but it will happen.

I'd like to see a 3-way with the Oilers and Islanders based around Dumba-Hamonic-RNH, will us adding a pieces to get it done. And then some cap clearing.

That I could defininetly see and as weird as it sounds I am somewhat counting in my standing pat.

I'm more of talking about how half the Wild team is up on the trade boards right now, buying out Pominville/Vanek, some people are even throwing Nino/Coyle's name in there which is beyond ridiculous.

My larger point, is the team as currently constructed could be a lot better if they focused on making the right play as opposed to the easy play, like they did for most of the 14/15 season. The Wild don't need to blow things up like is largely being suggested. If their is a NHLer for NHLer trade with one of our defenders, I could see that.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
The Wild struggled this year, because they abandoned their system under Yeo, that had made them succesful under Yeo, because they hit a stretch of poor puck luck. And neither Yeo nor Torchetti could get them or tried to get them back to that system.

From 2011-2016 the Wild are the 8th worst possession team in the league. The only year with a SAT% above 50% was 2014-2015, so maybe it's actually more of a fluke that we were so good that year under Yeo?? Say what you want about possession stats but...

The last 5 Stanley Cup Winners:
2015-Hawks-53.63%
2014-Kings-56.80%
2013-Hawks-54.12%
2012-Kings-54.89%
2011-Bruins-50.71%

Wild's average SAT% in that time frame: 47.68%.

I just don't think this team is built to make a deep cup run.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I didn't understand Carter being benched in the playoffs. I would guess he wasn't too happy about it, either.

At 625K, he was a bargain. Also, one of the very few guys on the team who is tough, and will fight, but can still play a legit role on the ice.

I respect him.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
From 2011-2016 the Wild are the 8th worst possession team in the league. The only year with a SAT% above 50% was 2014-2015, so maybe it's actually more of a fluke that we were so good that year under Yeo?? Say what you want about possession stats but...

The last 5 Stanley Cup Winners:
2015-Hawks-53.63%
2014-Kings-56.80%
2013-Hawks-54.12%
2012-Kings-54.89%
2011-Bruins-50.71%

Wild's average SAT% in that time frame: 47.68%.

I just don't think this team is built to make a deep cup run.

It wasn't a fluke is what i'm saying. They made a conscious decision to concentrate on controlled entries/exits. It was visible by the eye test, it was reported on, and it showed in the numbers.

They even spent a good portion of the beginning of this season firmly positive, until they abandoned it because they were shooting 4%.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I think the Wild should keep Vanek. I'd rather gamble that he plays well in a contract year than pay him 2 million plus in 2017-18 for nothing.

Who knows what a new coach might get out of him.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I think it's more about what Vanek is willing to put in to get something out of himself. He is what he is. Either the new coach puts up with it or scratches him. I don't think there's some "play when I wanna play" floater whisperer that's gonna be able to tap into something that any other coach he's had hasn't been able to.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
People need to remember the simple concept of quantity does not equal quality.

And to take a minute and think, "Is my trade proposal valuing Wild players hugely more than their perceived worth to other NHL organizations?"

For example, the top 3 Picks in the next draft - the Wild have zero chance of trading for them.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I think the Wild should keep Vanek. I'd rather gamble that he plays well in a contract year than pay him 2 million plus in 2017-18 for nothing.

Who knows what a new coach might get out of him.

I agree and Wild would have to pay for the guy who replaces him, too.

Didn't like Vanek in the first place but he's still better than Heatley was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad