Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Although I just realized that Yeo will probably be the coach of that team. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: So that's a no go.

Now that would be funny. :laugh:

But you seriously want to trade for a guy with 7 × 7.25 left on his contract? That puts him at 36 years old, and he doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who will be great in the back half of that contract.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So the Wild would be paying Bobby Ryan around 9 million dollars (his 7.25 + retained on Vanek) to score 55 points? His contract runs through 2021??? That is one of the nuttier things I've read in the last ... couple of days here.

If a guy was ever drafted in the top 3 of any draft the Wild should probably forget about it.
Wild are set-up to pay Vanek and Pominville $13.75 million ($12.1 million cap hit) next season.

So, yeah, that moves saves the team ~$5 million in real dollars next year, avoids the issues with dumping 2 vets, and upgrades Pominville to Ryan.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Now that would be funny. :laugh:

But you seriously want to trade for a guy with 7 × 7.25 left on his contract? That puts him at 36 years old, and he doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who will be great in the back half of that contract.
Kicks the buy-out can down the road a few years, which aligns with the limited shelf-life of Parise, Suter, and Koivu.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think that the $ savings would be enough for Ottawa to make the deal, even in their questionable situation.

No way that would get done without a 1st round pick or top young player/prospect, IMO.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think that the $ savings would be enough for Ottawa to make the deal, even in their questionable situation.

No way that would get done without a 1st round pick or top young player/prospect, IMO.

Vanek or Pominville for Ryan is intriguing for Ottawa because it certainly helps them out big-time. One year of Vanek (a .55 ppg season is nothing to sneeze at) is an easy pill to swallow for most teams, but that Ryan contract is a killer.

Ryan I think is only a slight upgrade on either guy, given the way he's trending. Career-best 71 points back in 2011 - playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Hasn't come close since even with guys like Spezza and Karlsson.

I've been on board the Zibanejad train but what about Turris? He fits the Wild profile does he not?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vanek or Pominville for Ryan is intriguing for Ottawa because it certainly helps them out big-time. One year of Vanek (a .55 ppg season is nothing to sneeze at) is an easy pill to swallow for most teams, but that Ryan contract is a killer.

Ryan I think is only a slight upgrade on either guy, given the way he's trending. Career-best 71 points back in 2011 - playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Hasn't come close since even with guys like Spezza and Karlsson.

I've been on board the Zibanejad train but what about Turris? He fits the Wild profile does he not?

#1C making $3.5M for the next 2 years seems like someone that they would rather hold on to. Although I don't really have a clear idea on whether Ottawa is rebuilding or trying to compete through their financial situation.

They'd need a LHD going the other way, and there isn't really any $ savings in a Turris and Scandella/Brodin swap.

I'm not so sure you win a Cup with him as your #1C anyway.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Ottawa will retrack their spending outlays overall, but try to stay competitive through youth and a defensive game.

Ryan has his legitmate issues, but Ryan and Coyle is a decent pair of top-6 RWs.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Maybe just Pominville for Ryan, and then seek another landing spot for Vanek. Dumba+Vanek for Hamonic would be an interesting offer for both teams (w/ Okposo leaving the Island).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Maybe just Pominville for Ryan, and then seek another landing spot for Vanek. Dumba+Vanek for Hamonic would be an interesting offer for both teams (w/ Okposo leaving the Island).

The Islanders? A team that traded him once already and were willing to accept scraps just to be rid of him? Ok...

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The Islanders? A team that traded him once already and were willing to accept scraps just to be rid of him? Ok...

Only after realizing they wouldn't be able to get him to sign long term. They had no problem with Vanek, which is what your comment sounds like. The real problem with his proposal is that the Wild move the highest value piece, plus a RW with only one year left on his deal to acquire a top-4 defenseman.

Dumba for Hamonic just doesn't make sense to me (we need a center or a scoring RW, not a 5th top 4 defenseman), and while saving money on Vanek this season would be nice, it's his last year under contract and he still is reasonably effective. Plus, if we trade Vanek, we'll need that scoring RW all the more. We make holes in that deal, and don't address any that are already there.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Only after realizing they wouldn't be able to get him to sign long term. They had no problem with Vanek, which is what your comment sounds like. The real problem with his proposal is that the Wild move the highest value piece, plus a RW with only one year left on his deal to acquire a top-4 defenseman.

Dumba for Hamonic just doesn't make sense to me (we need a center or a scoring RW, not a 5th top 4 defenseman), and while saving money on Vanek this season would be nice, it's his last year under contract and he still is reasonably effective. Plus, if we trade Vanek, we'll need that scoring RW all the more. We make holes in that deal, and don't address any that are already there.

He wouldn't sign there (I think that attitude would be considered a problem by most teams) but he would waive his NTC to go back there? Wouldn't you think he might just accept the buyout and go play in Europe or something? He clearly didn't want to live in Brooklyn (7 million bucks doesn't get you nearly as much here as it does in the Cities).

Mostly agree on the other points. He's not a fit for their team anyhow, who can add Dal Colle and/or Ho-Sang next season at a fraction of the cost. But Hamonic is widely considered a legit young top-four guy - Dumba is a big question mark, ergo their values are not equal. Not sure why people think an unsigned guy who has 152 NHL games and less than 50 points is worth much to any team - he's miles behind a guy like Hampus Lindholm.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Getting Hamonic frees up Brodin for a trade for a center and also Spurgeon to be paired again with Scandella.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

No. Dumba's upside is a huge question mark. He has not developed as well as I thought he would.

Not getting Hamonic for 2 major disappointments.

In early April, Dreger wrote that the Isles have not budged off their demand for a high end young D, that Chia needs Hamonic and has little leverage and in Dreger's opinion will likely agree to a Klefborn/Hamonic swap.

About 7-10 days later, Jason Gregor who covers the Oilers wrote his own Hamonic article. JG had been saying Oilers should not flip RNH for Hamonic. But, he has changed his mind since the postseason started and he has gotten an extended look at Hamonic during these playoffs.

I am gonna guess that front offices and scouting depts are doing what Gregor is doing: taking an extended look at Hamonic, seeing him doing heavy lifting for the nyi.

Last edited:

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Ottawa fans threw out Bobby Ryan to Minnesota for Vanek. That's a horrible contract, but Ottawa is in serious money trouble. There might be a deal here.

Vanek (partial salary retained) and Pominville for Bobby Ryan (who Fletcher is a fan of).

Ottawa gets 2 winger for 1 and saves a boatload of cash.

Wild avoids all buyouts, frees up a roster spot, and gets an upgrade over Pominville. There is a way to make the numbers work out for both teams.

Parise-X-Ryan
Granlund-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-X

Ryan is disappointing, but that still looks like a better roster than what we currently have, and we haven't even traded a Dman yet.
Vanek took less money to play in Minnesota.
Why on earth should he accept being traded? He has a NMC and enjoys his life with wife and kids.
He might do it for a serious contender at trade deadline, but not in offseason.

It's getting annoying reading these "offers".

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That's not what happened at all.

Shortly after Vanek joined the nyi, they offered him 7 yrs/$50m. His offense was very good,his defense disappointing and he went thru a stretch where he was lazy.

On July 1st, isles offered Vanek a 3 yr/$15m - $21m deal. Sorry I cannot recall if it was $15m or $21m.

At this point, they would not offer him a big extension. They have JT's extension, gave raises to Leddy/Boychuk and have Barzal/MDC/JHS/Beauviller either joining Bridgeport next season or the following season.

Vanek would be a nice stop gap. Not as a major piece to a Hamonic trade or at the cost of a top youngster though.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We should just drop a bomb on team headquarters. Might be simpler than trying to figure out these trade proposals.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
No. Dumba's upside is a huge question mark. He has not developed as well as I thought he would.

Not getting Hamonic for 2 major disappointments.

In early April, Dreger wrote that the Isles have not budged off their demand for a high end young D, that Chia needs Hamonic and has little leverage and in Dreger's opinion will likely agree to a Klefborn/Hamonic swap.

About 7-10 days later, Jason Gregor who covers the Oilers wrote his own Hamonic article. JG had been saying Oilers should not flip RNH for Hamonic. But, he has changed his mind since the postseason started and he has gotten an extended look at Hamonic during these playoffs.

I am gonna guess that front offices and scouting depts are doing what Gregor is doing: taking an extended look at Hamonic, seeing him doing heavy lifting for the nyi.
Hamonic could end up in Edmonton. But Oilers don't have what the Islander want - a right-shot young Dman and a replaceable winger to play with JT.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Which part? The relationship was not good so they traded him AND a pick for an AHL prospect and a 2nd rounder. Yes he was productive - not denying that.

I'm pretty sure it was reported that Snow held his cards too long at the TDL that year and ended up having to settle for what Montreal offered him. I seem to recall reports of Snow turning down better offers in an attempt to really drive up the price but when those offers were taken off the table he had to circle back around to Montreal who knew they had him over a barrel. That's why the trade didn't actually happen until dangerously close to the deadline. I'm pretty sure Russo reported that Fletcher was in on Vanek that day too but decided to go with Moulson instead which is why those deals happened around the same time.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm pretty sure it was reported that Snow held his cards too long at the TDL that year and ended up having to settle for what Montreal offered him. I seem to recall reports of Snow turning down better offers in an attempt to really drive up the price but when those offers were taken off the table he had to circle back around to Montreal who knew they had him over a barrel. That's why the trade didn't actually happen until dangerously close to the deadline. I'm pretty sure Russo reported that Fletcher was in on Vanek that day too but decided to go with Moulson instead which is why those deals happened around the same time.

Appreciate everyone's backgrounding on this and I apologize for overstating it. The point at the heart of it is that Vanek turned down an offer to stay with the Islanders, got a NTC, and there is really no reasonable basis for thinking he would suddenly change his mind. He doesn't fit with their program either - the farm is loaded and they're in the second round even with a good player like Lee out.

And as for the bolded part there...HIRE A PRO SCOUT FLETCH!!!!

Also there's good reason that people like Dreger, Gregor and myself aren't GMs: those are terrible proposals for the Oilers. Only a moron would trade a player like RNH for a piece like Hamonic (or Dumba or Brodin for that matter) and Klefbom is just as good as Hamonic: he just has some health concerns (as does Hamonic). The Oilers already gave up far more than they should have for Griffin Reinhart, if he gets fleeced by them again...

Last edited:

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Appreciate everyone's backgrounding on this. The point at the heart of it is that Vanek turned down an offer to stay with the Islanders, got a NTC, and there really no reasonable basis for thinking he would suddenly change his mind. He doesn't fit with their program either - the farm is loaded and they're in the second round even with a good player like Lee out.

But the bolded part there...HIRE A PRO SCOUT FLETCH!!!!

They have 2 Professional scouts listed on the website. Probably should fire them and get some new ones with how many duds we've traded for/signed.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
They have 2 Professional scouts listed on the website. Probably should fire them and get some new ones with how many duds we've traded for/signed.

Yeah I pointed out another time that the Hawks have like ten. Then again, they gave up a lot for Andrew Ladd, who looked awful this season.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Does anyone here think Vincent Trocheck would be somebody to go after as a center?

Points/60 5-on-5 in 2015-2016

Trocheck: 2.2 (1.1G, 1.1A)
Niederreiter: 2.1 (0.9G, 1.2A)
Coyle: 1.5 (0.8G, 0.7A)
Granlund: 1.3 (0.4G, 0.9A)

It seems like a lot of people are on board with moving Granlund to wing, and while he isn't a superstar like Stamkos, I think Trocheck would be an upgrade at center. I also think the Panthers would be good partners in a trade.

Randy BoBandy

Cheeseburger Party
May 9, 2011
Sunnyvale
Trocheck is exactly the type of player we should be going after. Young center that has shown a lot of potential and might have that extra gear in him to become a number 1 center someday. Hell we need all the center depth we can get right now IMO. Trocheck had a tremendous season don't know why Florida trades him though. Barkov, Bjudstad, and Trocheck is great center depth. As Wild fans we can only dream of three young stud centers like that :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad