Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I cannot think of a single scenario where a lottery pick player - whether on an ELC or not - is going to be traded for the Wild's leftovers. Maybe Jordan Staal?? These are just not realistic proposals whatsoever.

Drouin, Ehlers, Nugent-Hopkins...just not going to be traded.

Tomas Tatar, Ronalds Kenins, Teemu Pulkkinen, Kyle Rau ... more in the range of reasonable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Fix the Wild in three moves:

1. Sign David Backes
2. Dumba+ for Drouin
3. Buyout Vanek

Parise - Backes - Nino
Granlund - Koivu - Coyle
Drouin - Haula - Pomminville

Suter - Spurgeon
Scandella - Brodin
Olofsson - Reilly

Going to take $6M for probably ~6 years and he's about to turn 32 and he's a non-playoff player.

That one would be a tough sell.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Oilers say no.
Zucker and the 1st give the Oilers some real options.

Eberle+Wild's 1st for Hamonic for example (after Okposo leaves the Island).

Oilers can use their likely top-3 pick for another elite forward.

Yak can also be moved without worry for a 3rd line center or larger winger or defensive upgrade.

Chia is going to be making multiple deals this off-season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We cannot walk into next season with basically the same roster.

We may have too. Right now, most of the team carries negative value. Those that don't? We're not going to trade. Brodin and Scandella both had rough years. Dumba did as well. Are we really going to trade Spurgeon or Suter?

As for forwards? who exactly do we trade? Zucker? Who had a terrible year, even by his standards?

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Do you think Dumba+Zucker+late pick gets Droiun?

If Drouin is still 'available' I think he needs to be our biggest realistic priority.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Do you think Dumba+Zucker+late pick gets Droiun?

If Drouin is still 'available' I think he needs to be our biggest realistic priority.
That's what I was thinking.

Tampa is desperate for right-shot Dmen, and Dumba can help ease the loss of Stamkos on the PP.

Zucker would also be a good for the Lightening on the left winger.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Going to take $6M for probably ~6 years and he's about to turn 32 and he's a non-playoff player.

That one would be a tough sell.

And Vanek was going to sign for 7 years and $50m right? But then he didn't.

I think there's a trend towards shorter contracts for players on the wrong side of 30. They don't want to be stuck for the rest of their careers on a dud team and teams aren't as generous with massive contracts for players on the down side.

Obviously if he want $6m+ for 5+ years you pass. But if it's closer to $4m for 3-4 years?

Backes is not Stamkos...but he's a 20+ goal scorer and should be for the next few years. He also drives possession, unlike Vanek. And he plays defense, unlike Vanek. And he's a big physical player, unline Vanek. And he wins faceoffs. Essentially, he's a good fit for the team.

This allows you to keep Granlund as a small skilled winger as well. If you can make a move of Dumba, Brodin, or Scandella for another skilled young forward, that's a smart play.

I kind of want to keep Zucker just because I think he'll be good expansion draft bait for Vegas. He'd be too tempting to get a more talented player off the roster. And he has no trade value right now.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And Vanek was going to sign for 7 years and $50m right? But then he didn't.

I think there's a trend towards shorter contracts for players on the wrong side of 30. They don't want to be stuck for the rest of their careers on a dud team and teams aren't as generous with massive contracts for players on the down side.

Obviously if he want $6m+ for 5+ years you pass. But if it's closer to $4m for 3-4 years?

Backes is not Stamkos...but he's a 20+ goal scorer and should be for the next few years. He also drives possession, unlike Vanek. And he plays defense, unlike Vanek. And he's a big physical player, unline Vanek. And he wins faceoffs. Essentially, he's a good fit for the team.

This allows you to keep Granlund as a small skilled winger as well. If you can make a move of Dumba, Brodin, or Scandella for another skilled young forward, that's a smart play.

I kind of want to keep Zucker just because I think he'll be good expansion draft bait for Vegas. He'd be too tempting to get a more talented player off the roster. And he has no trade value right now.

Then you absolutely consider it, but I think it's too low to be realistic. I'd say Ryan Kesler's situation is more comparable than Vanek is.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Someday we'll learn that signing 30+ year old free agents to high dollar contracts is a bad idea.

Someday.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Someday we'll learn that signing 30+ year old free agents to high dollar contracts is a bad idea.

Someday.

pdQ7rdf.gif

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I want no part of Backes. Watching the Blues blow their series tonight will probably help change your mind.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm concerned the Wild will have to move Spurgeon or Brodin for a center, and then we will have an even worse blueline next year.
Any loss we have on the blueline will be covered in the gain from our forwards and our depth. People need to realize that Reilly and Olofsson are NHL ready as well. Folin can hold his own on the third pairing.
something around a #10. This year's draft doesn't feature many, if any, top end Dmen. Dumba will be attractive to teams lacking D, and a he's a RHD at that.

I don't see the value in moving up to a #4 pick, and Dumba won't get you a #3.

Like I said above, I don't think the Wild are going to be Cup contenders next year. Too much older deadweight, and not enough talent up front. Best to accept that, and plan accordingly.

Is Dumba enough to get us a top 10 pick?

Based on what? A season where our best forward was injured half the year? We had the best start in Franchise history, right? Then Parise got injured, played through the injury, and during that time we had a huge stretch of losses resulting in Mike Yeo getting fired.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Major shakeup?

Dumb plan:
-Buyout Vanek
-Go after Stamkos hard
-Trade away salary to make it happen

Smart plan:
-Evaluate offers on Brodin, Dumba, Zucker, Kuemper, etc.
-If someone offers a great center for one of them take it.
-Get draft picks for "lesser" players
-Don't sign an expensive FA contract for an over 30 player.

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Sabres: Dumba and Graovac
Wild: 1st

Bruins: Scandella and Zucker
Wild: Pastrnak and SJ 1st

3 picks in the first! Draft Keller, Jost and ??

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Sabres: Dumba and Graovac
Wild: 1st

Bruins: Scandella and Zucker
Wild: Pastrnak and SJ 1st

3 picks in the first! Draft Keller, Jost and ??

Buyout Vanek, Ship Koivu out for an expiring contract and a pick.

Build around Coyle, Granny, Nino, Spurgeon, Brodin and build that prospect pool!

Could you imagine having- JEE, Tuch, Keller, Jost, etc. with hope at least one turns out to be an elite player.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Since Vanek has been injured all post-season, is it even an option to buy him out? We went through this with Backstrom and Heatley didn't we? Also, Koivu isn't waiving for anyone, IMO.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yes, the deadline is like two days after the cup finals or something like that, and he'll definitely be cleared by then.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Since Vanek has been injured all post-season, is it even an option to buy him out? We went through this with Backstrom and Heatley didn't we? Also, Koivu isn't waiving for anyone, IMO.

It's even more likely that Vanek and Koivu will stay here for the rest of their careers...for less money of course.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Someday.
Ottawa fans threw out Bobby Ryan to Minnesota for Vanek. That's a horrible contract, but Ottawa is in serious money trouble. There might be a deal here.

Vanek (partial salary retained) and Pominville for Bobby Ryan (who Fletcher is a fan of).

Ottawa gets 2 winger for 1 and saves a boatload of cash.

Wild avoids all buyouts, frees up a roster spot, and gets an upgrade over Pominville. There is a way to make the numbers work out for both teams.

Parise-X-Ryan
Granlund-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-X

Ryan is disappointing, but that still looks like a better roster than what we currently have, and we haven't even traded a Dman yet.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Ottawa fans threw out Bobby Ryan to Minnesota for Vanek. That's a horrible contract, but Ottawa is in serious money trouble. There might be a deal here.

Vanek (partial salary retained) and Pominville for Bobby Ryan (who Fletcher is a fan of).

Wild avoids all buyouts, frees up a roster spot, and gets an upgrade over Pominville. There is a way to make the numbers work out for both teams.

Parise-X-Ryan
Granlund-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-X

Ryan is disappointing, but that still looks like a better roster than what we currently have, and we haven't even traded a Dman yet.
Although I just realized that Yeo will probably be the coach of that team. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: So that's a no go.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Parise-X-Ryan
Granlund-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-X

So the Wild would be paying Bobby Ryan around 9 million dollars (his 7.25 + retained on Vanek) to score 55 points? His contract runs through 2021??? That is one of the nuttier things I've read in the last ... couple of days here.

If a guy was ever drafted in the top 3 of any draft the Wild should probably forget about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad