Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Oh, and the Strome talk is a because he didn't perform well in the CHL playoffs. A month ago he an "untouchable"

Not really. If AZ does not win the lottery, there is a miniscule chance of trading Strome. That is the contingency to trading Strome.

You expect us to be interested in Dahlbeck? Please, try and understand the needs of the team you are trading with just a little bit. WE DON'T NEED MORE D, ESPECIALLY MEDIOCRE D! He has less than zero value to us.

So, you are expecting us to trade a 105 for a 157, which obviously favors you, and a #7 for a Scandella and a 15, which again favors you. The difference between a 7 and a 15, especially in this draft, is not a mid 20's top4 D on a good contract.

That's a bad, bad deal for the Wild.

A lot of this is about the potential roster issues that the Wild may have going forward. Given, there is time to figure this out, but the NMCs and lengths of contracts given out may drive value down lower once the expansion draft list is complete. I don't view any of the D in this situation without an NMC as being worth a top 10 pick in return, and some of that has to also do with the fact that at least one of them has to be exposed for nothing. 1st round values, sure. Teams that are trading for one of these D also have to be able to protect that player as well, so a team may be less likely to deal a pick/prospect that doesn't need protection for a player that does. A lot of moving parts here.

Everything points in the direction of the player value lessening over time, but we shall see.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Brodin for EDM #4 or ARZ #7? Use #4 to take Dubois or #7 to take Keller.

Or Kuemper for 2nd/3rd rd pick and then Brodin+Zucker+pick for BUF 1st+ZG?

Or is dealing Dumba for someone like Stepan then buying out Vanek a better idea?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Brodin for EDM #4 or ARZ #7? Use #4 to take Dubois or #7 to take Keller.

Or Kuemper for 2nd/3rd rd pick and then Brodin+Zucker+pick for BUF 1st+ZG?

Or is dealing Dumba for someone like Stepan then buying out Vanek a better idea?

Brodin/dumba+(Zucker?+belpedio) to Arizona for #7 + Dvorak(Merkley)

Idk about Stepan, he's making like 6.5 mil? For not a lot of production

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Dumba+(asset acquired for Kuemper) for EDM #4

Brodin+Zucker for BUF #8+ZG

Draft Chychrun/Dubois at #4, Keller at #8 and Tufte/Mcavoy at #15

Buyout Vanek

Sign Demers

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Pominville
Granlund-Girgensons-Tuch
Carter/Porter/Graovac/Gabriel

Suter-Demers
Scandella-Spurgeon
Reilly/Olofsson/Folin

Dubnyk
FA/Iowa

Prospect pool:
Dubois/Chychrun
Keller
Tufte/Mcavoy
JEE
Greenway
Belpedio
Kaprizov

Edit: EDM could also move RNH and draft PLD. In that case we could attempt at Dumba+ for RNH. And then alter the BUF deal to Brodin+Zucker+ for 8+Fasching

Parise-RNH-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Pominville
Granlund-Koivu-Fasching

Draft Keller at 8 and Mcavoy at 15

Everything else is the same.

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
if all that went down id go

#4: Nylander
#8: Jost/Keller
#15: Bellows/Kunin

in 2/3 years

Parise - Koivu - Coyle/Tuch
Bellows/Kunin - Jost/keller - Nylander
Kaprizov - JEE - Coyle/Tuch
? - Graovoc - ?

Suter - ?
Scandella - Spurgeron
Reilly/Olofsson - Folin

Obviously we have to figure something out for Haula/Nino/Granlund but we shouldn't have a goal scoring problem in a few short years if those young guys are developed properly and given freedom imo.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Is it of interest now to trade 2 dmen because of the expansion draft? Just seems like we'd have to blow up the whole team...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is it of interest now to trade 2 dmen because of the expansion draft? Just seems like we'd have to blow up the whole team...

we can always go the 8 player route. This works well if what we get back in trade is either a draft pick or a prospect that doesn't need protecting.

Would be better to wait till we get well into the season before we talk about trading another Dman. We don't know how our back end Dmen will step up to challenge for a top 4 spot this year.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
This talk about trading a Dman for a pick makes me want to throw up.

Might as well trade away everybody else for picks while you are at it.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
This talk about trading a Dman for a pick makes me want to throw up.

Might as well trade away everybody else for picks while you are at it.

Trading one for a pick has some justification(last resort), can't agree with trading 2 for picks though, not at this point in time. Also don't see any scenario where the Wild would sign Demers, there will be more appealing suitors for him and he will get a ridiculous contract if he goes to the highest bidder.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we somehow managed to get the 4th and 8th picks without giving up 15, I'd go:

4: Dubois
8: Chychrun/Sergachev/Juolevi
15: Kunin

May be considered a reach on Kunin, but at that point I'd be ok with it after getting two top 10 picks already.

Kenny G

Jun 6, 2012
Minnesota
Dumba I can make sense of trading for a pick.

Brodin/Spurgeon/Scandella should not be traded for a pick outside top 3 in my opinion.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I may be the only one but im on the trade Scandella before Brodin/Dumba train.

Hes not overly physical to an extreme that we'd be getting "Smaller" without him imo, and hes not smarter or better defender than Brodin and not as gifted offensively as Dumba. Hes good all around yeah, but I'd rather open up room on the left side for Reilly/Olof if Brodin is not going to be moved to the left.

Scandella's Value is more than likely very close to its peak, its better to take advantage of that now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Trade whoever gets us the best return

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
That team I proposed can win now and be great within 3 years.

Good chance both teams you proposed miss the playoffs next year. Can't afford Demers in scenario #2 and still don't believe he'd choose us in scenario #1, who's the fall-back option, Tom Gilbert? Highly doubt he'd want to return to the team that bought him out, and yes the FA class is that bad, which is why Demers will likely be commanding a contract similar to Sekera's last year.

Fletcher's job should be on the line and no playoffs should no doubt cost him it, so I'm not expecting him to deal multiple players for futures.

Dumba I can make sense of trading for a pick.

Brodin/Spurgeon/Scandella should not be traded for a pick outside top 3 in my opinion.

I feel differently. Brodin/Scandella have both appeared to peak with similar play the past 2-3 seasons whereas Dumba has continued to progress. I'd rather believe in the guy making progress than trade him for a pick. A draft pick should be viewed as a last resort measure though, not the piece we're searching for.

We are not.

Correct.

I may be the only one but im on the trade Scandella before Brodin/Dumba train.

Hes not overly physical to an extreme that we'd be getting "Smaller" without him imo, and hes not smarter or better defender than Brodin and not as gifted offensively as Dumba. Hes good all around yeah, but I'd rather open up room on the left side for Reilly/Olof if Brodin is not going to be moved to the left.

Scandella's Value is more than likely very close to its peak, its better to take advantage of that now.

While Scandella may have been the best of the 3 this past season I doubt he is the most coveted of the 3 around the league. If we could get the best value for him I would certainly be all in favor of making that deal but I think he's viewed as our 5th most valuable d-man at this point in time, and thus is unlikely to be traded.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I feel differently. Brodin/Scandella have both appeared to peak with similar play the past 2-3 seasons whereas Dumba has continued to progress. I'd rather believe in the guy making progress than trade him for a pick. A draft pick should be viewed as a last resort measure though, not the piece we're searching for.

If we can trade Dumba for 4OA I say go for it. Yeah we're trading a guy who could be really good in this league, but we're also getting a guy who could be really good in this league at a position we need. Oilers need a RHD, Dumba is NHL ready, has a little experience, but is still young enough for their core. Seems like a trade that both teams win to be honest.

Another reason the Oilers do it is because I think Dumba has a higher (or at least as high) potential than any of the three available at the top, plus they're all left handed.

Another reason we do it is because that's one more asset we don't have to worry about protecting or losing in the expansion draft.

PLD should be NHL ready by 2017-2018, so it's not like we're going to be waiting around for years, and the impact from losing Dumba would be minimal, in theory, because he really didn't play that much meaningful time anyway.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not always true. The Bruins are a great example, came very close to a playoff spot yet also restocked their prospect pool.

Well, they did trade Milan Lucic (I guess Charlie Coyle would be the equivalent?), Dougie Hamilton (Jonas Brodin?), for mid 1st round picks. They got lucky with Pastrnak as well. Plus they have two monster centers in David Krejci (17 goals, 46 assists) and Patrick Bergeron (32 goals, 36 assists).

They struggle as much as Minnesota with a lack of elite forwards in their depth.

Slow Motion

Jun 1, 2014
I fear that trading either Dumba or Brodin will have us looking back in Leddy-like "why did we do that" fashion. My preference for this team and where we are now is to take the money we will likely re-coup from not signing David Jones and see if we can entice Kyle Okposo to sign here. A proven NHL goal scorer appeals to me far more than a draft choice who may or may not become an NHL caliber player (or someone another team is willing to part with). We are likely going to lose a good defenseman to expansion (Scandella I would guess), so trading away another is pretty risky.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
A defenseman should only be traded for a young NHL center. Or potentially a winger will elite ability.

To Islanders
Dumba
Pominville

To Oilers
Hamonic
Grabo

To Wild
RHN
Fayne

That would work with all three of the teams objectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad